6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

In the space of two days I've either run across fraudulent listings on eBay or Craigslist or been sent fraudulent emails from my Mr Pinball listing.

So there was a listing for a black knight backglass on pinside with photos that clearly were pulled from google images. Got that shut down. Next the same guy lists on eBay using same images. Also lists a target alpha using photos from pinball pimp directly on pinside showing the machine in his driveway. Reported it, and not shut down because it's not apparently fraud to use images from the internet Find machines on Craigslist claiming they've recently been in a flood and selling cheap that stole their images from the PAPA flood of several years ago. And then received email from Africa claiming to have rare pinball parts and using photos again ... from the internet.

Is there anyway to stop this ? Its getting ridiculous. Can't we have some photomatching procedure that automatically screens out these scams ?

#2 6 years ago

I have submitted fraudulent listing report for all items from ebay seller ..... and you have not acted on them. This seller is using fraudulent stolen photos from the internet to show their used items.

2017 - 09 - 04
    04:36:11 UTC EBay
    Good evening. My name is ..... I will be happy to check on this for you.

04:37:19 UTC me
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-1976-gottlieb-target-alpha-pinball-pimp-full-cq-museum-high-end-restore and http://www.rkadegames.com/black.htm

04:37:33 UTC me
    Fraudulent photos link

04:38:11 UTC EBay
    Good evening. I have the sellers account and listings in front of me. If the photos are on the internet, they are public domain and are acceptable on ebay.

04:38:42 UTC EBay
    We do encourage sellers to take their own photos, but some sellers choose to get stock photos of the internet.

04:39:22 UTC me
    No you don't understand. They are showing the item that they are selling. It is not their item. They very likely have no pinball machine at all

04:40:48 UTC EBay
    The pinball machine pictures show that they were taken at a home. So at this point, I am not sure what you would like us to do.

04:41:20 UTC me
    Taken at home by another user on another forum that is not this seller

04:41:45 UTC EBay
    What are you real concerns about this seller? He can use any photos

04:41:53 UTC me
    Look I'm trying to point out a fraudulent seller. People will be the high bidder, pay and not receive any item

04:42:08 UTC EBay
    How do you know that he does not have this item?

04:43:08 UTC me
    Because those photos are from a well known pinball owner on a forum I frequent and he is not located in that state and he is not selling that machine currently and it is his home

04:44:23 UTC me
    I give up. Just carry on and you can deal with the fraud when it comes out. I tried to warn you by taking my time. Same seller tried to fraudulently list on the pinside forum and was shot down. He is using the same fraudulent photos which wre pointed out

04:44:41 UTC me
    To be fraudulent on that site causing his account to be suspended

04:44:42 UTC EBay
    Thank you for reporting this issue. If our trust and safety team deems it necessary, they will take action. If photos are on the internet, they are public domain.

04:45:01 UTC me
    I am trying to protect you and your unfortunate bidders but whatever

04:45:33 UTC EBay
    Again, I can appreciate where you are coming from. But we cannot action for using photos from the internet.

04:46:05 UTC me
    It is public domain to use photos on the internet. It is fraudulent if you Are representing that as the actual item you are selling which it is not

04:46:54 UTC me
    You guys get scammed all the time and a user who has been on your site for17 years takes time out of his day to warn you and I get this. I won't bother again

#3 6 years ago

The only way I could see to combat this is if everybody starts watermarking their pictures before they put them on the internet.

#4 6 years ago

I reported it also to eBay

#5 6 years ago

I can't believe that eBay still exists. Seriously, what is its purpose? What can it do that 10 other sites can't do better?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I can't believe that eBay still exists. Seriously, what is its purpose? What can it do that 10 other sites can't do better?

Basically, it's the name. They have been around since the Internet became popular, and everybody has heard of ebay. Heck, I still remember seeing TV commercials for it years ago.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I have submitted fraudulent listing report for all items from ebay seller ..... and you have not acted on them. This seller is using fraudulent stolen photos from the internet to show their used items.
    2017 - 09 - 04
    04:36:11 UTC EBay
    Good evening. My name is ..... I will be happy to check on this for you.
    04:37:19 UTC me
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-1976-gottlieb-target-alpha-pinball-pimp-full-cq-museum-high-end-restore and http://www.rkadegames.com/black.htm
    04:37:33 UTC me
    Fraudulent photos link
    04:38:11 UTC EBay
    Good evening. I have the sellers account and listings in front of me. If the photos are on the internet, they are public domain and are acceptable on ebay.
    04:38:42 UTC EBay
    We do encourage sellers to take their own photos, but some sellers choose to get stock photos of the internet.
    04:39:22 UTC me
    No you don't understand. They are showing the item that they are selling. It is not their item. They very likely have no pinball machine at all
    04:40:48 UTC EBay
    The pinball machine pictures show that they were taken at a home. So at this point, I am not sure what you would like us to do.
    04:41:20 UTC me
    Taken at home by another user on another forum that is not this seller
    04:41:45 UTC EBay
    What are you real concerns about this seller? He can use any photos
    04:41:53 UTC me
    Look I'm trying to point out a fraudulent seller. People will be the high bidder, pay and not receive any item
    04:42:08 UTC EBay
    How do you know that he does not have this item?
    04:43:08 UTC me
    Because those photos are from a well known pinball owner on a forum I frequent and he is not located in that state and he is not selling that machine currently and it is his home
    04:44:23 UTC me
    I give up. Just carry on and you can deal with the fraud when it comes out. I tried to warn you by taking my time. Same seller tried to fraudulently list on the pinside forum and was shot down. He is using the same fraudulent photos which wre pointed out
    04:44:41 UTC me
    To be fraudulent on that site causing his account to be suspended
    04:44:42 UTC EBay
    Thank you for reporting this issue. If our trust and safety team deems it necessary, they will take action. If photos are on the internet, they are public domain.
    04:45:01 UTC me
    I am trying to protect you and your unfortunate bidders but whatever
    04:45:33 UTC EBay
    Again, I can appreciate where you are coming from. But we cannot action for using photos from the internet.
    04:46:05 UTC me
    It is public domain to use photos on the internet. It is fraudulent if you Are representing that as the actual item you are selling which it is not
    04:46:54 UTC me
    You guys get scammed all the time and a user who has been on your site for17 years takes time out of his day to warn you and I get this. I won't bother again

Images posted online are not "in the public domain". Every single image is copyrighted by default, unless specifically noted otherwise by the creator.

ebay customer support is terrible.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nationwide/Worldwide coverage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-how-do-we-stop-scammers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.