(Topic ID: 24584)

So how difficult/easy should it be to reach the main prize?

By pinballcorpse

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Eskaybee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I did not want to divert the threads where I read the comments, but it seemed there were some complaints over the difficulty of some of the wizard modes in various games. The most recent game of course is X-Men.

I think in X-Men, Danger Room is the easier objective, Dark Phoenix is the harder objective and finishing both (the so called Deadpool mode people are speculating about) is the "elite" objective. Of course we are talking factory settings.

So, how reachable should each mode be and what should an "average player" be able to do? Isn't that why harder objectives are called "wizard modes" ? They are not "average modes"

As a player at home on your expensive game how often do you want to see the main prize? I feel the wizard modes should be something you work toward over numerous plays. That is, you get your money's worth.

IMO, the challenge is what makes Dark Phoenix, Cybertron, Portal MB, Valinor, Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode, Jericho, Do or Die Multiball, Sperm Attack, Gauntlet of the Pirates, Super Hero, Gotham, Keefer Invitational, etc. etc. special achievements. It is quite an accomplishment and when you reach it you are thrilled and know when you rush to the boards to post the experience with others or talk with your friends they will be excited with you.

If the "wizard mode" on a game was just keep the ball in play for 3 minutes then hit any blinking shot, would it feel as meaningful? No. We'd be screaming, "That's it? So what?"

If a desired wizard mode becomes out of reach on factory, change the settings, outlane posts, number of balls etc. easier to suit your skill level and desired frequency. As you crush it, change it back.

Anyway, there is not poll per se, but how much "front end candy" do you think a player should get? The whole game can't be front end candy, right?

So how easy is easy? How difficult is difficult? Should a player see the main prize 1 in 10 games, 1 in 100 games, 1 in 1000 games? Always? Once a lifetime?

#2 11 years ago

I like the concept of mini wizard modes and then a full on wizard mode. It should be difficult but it should also be something you are continually failing at completing while being oh so close to getting it. That's what keeps people coming back. A precarious position to find but nice when well implemented.

#3 11 years ago

Very cool thread.

Its all a question of ability I guess. For me, the games that click with me the most are the one's where the wizard mode is only potentially achievable when I am playing at the very top of my game (LOTR and TSPP) but the importance of the journey to the wizard mode cannot be understated. Personally I would rather play White Water over and over again (making it to VJ once every 5-10 games or so) than slogging away trying to make it to cybertron, as the journey to get there, even though much harder, just isn't anywhere near as fun.

1 in 10 is too often, 1 in 50-100 sounds about right to me. Out of those games your going to come mighty close quite a few times which makes that pay off all the sweeter.

#4 11 years ago

Thought STTNG does a perfect job with the Final Frontier. Also Dirty Harry with Crime Wave. I'm just going by games I've owned.

I like several modes that, when completed, unlock a wizard mode.

It shouldn't happen very often but aways feel within reach.

#5 11 years ago

Mini wizard modes (i.e. there and back again, destroy the ring, battle royal, tv wizard mode, danger room, dark Phoenix, sentinel prime, etc...) should be realistic achievable modes...maybe 1 in 25 games for an average player.

The ultimate FU bomb of wizard modes (valinor, sperm attack, cybertron, dead pool) should have a substantially much higher difficulty rating.

Pinball games need to be diverse in some aspect to the rules to keep a player coming back. If a game has too much repetition, then it doesn't matter if it takes one game or a thousand games to get to the final wizard mode. Xmen is guilty of this wherein your forced to do the same mode over and over until it's completed before progressing. Too much repetition to get to a mini wizard mode is a bad thing. TRON is good because even though you do a mode over, your given a middle point objective for how you did the first time through all the modes with sea of simulation.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-how-difficulteasy-should-it-be-to-reach-the-main-prize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.