(Topic ID: 33144)

So, Hobbit bombed...any effect on pinball sales?

By vid1900

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 268 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ozno
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpeg
lordringseye.gif
IMG_1732.JPG
5055.gif
Haters-gonna-hate-7.gif
34569547.jpg
bomb.jpg
tumblr_m1gw1wj0fH1qii6tmo1_400.gif
The_Waltons_.JPG
The_Waltons_.JPG
The_Waltons.png
There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 11 years ago

Rather than a bomb it is da Bomb

#202 11 years ago

First trilogy bored me to tears. I still love the LOTR Stern pin.

#203 11 years ago

I thought The Hobbit - part 1 was good. About 30 mins too long, however. It would have benefited from some aggressive editing. I can see how many would not like it as a stand alone movie or for not being a strict interpretation of the book. For me, I will withhold final judgement until I have seen all three parts and evaluate it as a whole...the same goes for the JJP pin.

#204 11 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Why I waited a month before posting. And yes, I bought Woz and Hobbit.
A month later... Hobbit has grossed $939 million worldwide v. three LOTR movies (in order) $871, $926 and $1,119 million.

I thought the Hobbit movie was awesome!

#205 11 years ago

When the latest Terminator movie bombed, Six Flags Magic Mountain quickly re-themed and re-named the ride Apocalypse- basic repurposing. Speaking of Magic Mountain, I just checked out info on the new coaster they are building called Full Throttle. ( Isn't that the name of that new machine being made by Heighway Pinball?) Unlike The Hobbit, I don't believe either Full Throttle venture will bomb. In fact from what I've seen they are both "The Bomb"!

#206 11 years ago

i have a feeling the original poster is not a fan of Fantasy Movies, and since everyones expectations were high on this movie, he was hoping it would flop. Won't happen. P.J. is too good of a director to let that happen. It's not like he's Lucas or something.

#207 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

P.J. is too good of a director to let that happen.

Yeah, King Kong ice skating in Central Park and The Lovely Bones were certainly brilliant visions, LOL.

#208 11 years ago

Just in case you missed it.

Warning: might be the worst 2 minutes ever put to film.

#209 11 years ago

Hobbit is about to break the $1B mark. More money will be made on DVD sales and a re-release prior to the second installment. Pretty hard to call it a bomb.

#210 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, King Kong ice skating in Central Park and The Lovely Bones were certainly brilliant visions, LOL.

FWIW The Lovely Bones was really a Fran Walsh film. And while the King Kong ice skating scene was laughable the film was overall an excellent and critically acclaimed homage.

#211 11 years ago

If you think about it, his greatest test will be if he messes up Star Wars 7.

#212 11 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Why I waited a month before posting. And yes, I bought Woz and Hobbit.
A month later... Hobbit has grossed $939 million worldwide v. three LOTR movies (in order) $871, $926 and $1,119 million.

I am not a fan of these fantasy movies, but it was clear on the day of its release that it was a big hit.

#213 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Top 10 Midnight Openings:
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - $43.5 million - 132 mins.
2. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - $30.3 million - 130 mins.
3. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - $30.1 million - 124 mins.
4. The Twilight Saga: New Moon - $26.3 million - 130 mins.
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - $24 million - 146 mins.
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - $22.2 million -153 mins.
7. The Hunger Games - $19.7 million - 144 mins.
8. The Dark Knight - $18.5 million - 154 mins.
9. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - $16.5 million 141 mins.
10. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - $16 million - 150 mins.

7 out of 10 of them films are shite so that proves nothing about wether they are good films or not have you seen hunger games? What a boring long winded load of drivel lol

#214 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you think about it, his greatest test will be if he messes up Star Wars 7.

jj abrams is doing star wars 7

#216 11 years ago
Quoted from RudeDogg1:

jj abrams is doing Star Wars 7

I had heard that last week, but this morning they said Peter on the radio.

I'd rather have Abrams, but then he is doing both geek fests - Star Wars & Star Trek....

#217 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep.
Could there be a bigger test of your directing chops?

Yes, one bigger test: rebooting Star Trek.

I actually really enjoyed The Hobbit, and I went into it expecting not to. I've heard a lot that suggests seeing it at the higher frame rate ruins the experience.

I just read this morning that it is tops at the box office for the third weekend in a row. It wasn't perfect, but I'm not worried at all about the pinball version of it.

#218 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Make It Green Acres!

Now that's a great concept. I'd consider one of those!

Accumulate target 'parts' to fix the tractor or house
Send the ball up a pole to answer the phone
Sounds: Arnold the pig snorts, Lisa saying "hoosters ville" and "hots kakes"
Mr. Druker, Eb and Mr. Kimble sayings.
One ramp to Pixley, another to Petticoat Junction
Land the ball in a Hooterville Cannonball train car toy and have it take you and drop you off at Petticoat Junction, dumping remaining balls from a flat car for multi-ball.

#219 11 years ago

Exactly out of those top 10 only 2 were worth watching the rest were jokes!!

#220 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video

Lol vid1900, that was horrible! Why I even pushed play to watch it says a lot about how my day is going... Lol think I'm depressed now!!! Haha

#221 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video

Things I never new but learned from PJ's Kong....

- A T-Rex will forgo an easy meal of a giant already-dead whatever, just to fight a giant monkey for a tiny taste of scrawny white woman! (ahhh, jungle fever!)

- A second T-Rex will fight both previously mentioned T-Rex #1 AND giant monkey for taste of said white woman!

- So will some giant bats! Everybody wants a taste!

- It's possible to roundhouse kick and knock out a Velociraptor!

- Giant 3-foot long insects have a natural magnetic attraction to lead bullets, as you can close your eyes and fire a Tommy gun, hitting only the insects and not your friends!

- Previously mentioned scrawny white woman can go out in wintertime Manhattan wearing only an evening dress, and her "headlights" never pop on!

- Same woman can be hauled to the top of the Empire State Building, and not even once have her teeth chatter or have to rub her arms from the freezing cold!

I tell ya, I want those three hours of my life back very much....

Later,
EV

#222 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I had heard that last week, but this morning they said Peter on the radio.
I'd rather have Abrams, but then he is doing both geek fests - Star Wars & Star Trek....

Lucas Arts confirmed it is JJ a day or two ago. You can stop your unjustified Jackson bashing any day now, it's really getting old. (I really don't dislike you though, so don't get offended.)

#223 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

You can stop your unjustified Jackson bashing any day now, it's really getting old.

I loved the LOTR movies (as I said earlier), District 9, and of course Dead Alive - quit being so sensitive if I don't like every movie; especially a crap pile like King Kong or Bones.

#224 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Later,
EV

Where do I start. Movies are entertainment, not documentaries. King Kong was also intended as an homage to the 1933 original. Logical 'flaws' you pointed out are written into the film deliberately for the objectives stated above.

Understand these things about cinema and you'll enjoy movies a whole lot more.

#225 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I loved the LOTR movies (as I said earlier), District 9, and of course Dead Alive - quit being so sensitive if I don't like every movie; especially a crap pile like King Kong or Bones.

Have u seen bad taste, meet the feebles quite messed up pj films heavenly creatures is good to

#226 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I'm very surprised, really. I thought this movie was so bad that it was beyond defending. I was wrong
Pappy

I confess I liked it (not to the point of watching twice, though !)
But we Frenchs have weird taste anyway

#227 11 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

Now that's a great concept. I'd consider one of those!
Accumulate target 'parts' to fix the tractor or house
Send the ball up a pole to answer the phone
Sounds: Arnold the pig snorts, Lisa saying "hoosters ville" and "hots kakes"
Mr. Druker, Eb and Mr. Kimble sayings.
One ramp to Pixley, another to Petticoat Junction
Land the ball in a Hooterville Cannonball train car toy and have it take you and drop you off at Petticoat Junction, dumping remaining balls from a flat car for multi-ball.

Make sure you have the girls in the water tower from the introduction.

#228 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

- A T-Rex will forgo an easy meal of a giant already-dead whatever, just to fight a giant monkey for a tiny taste of scrawny white woman! (ahhh, jungle fever!)
- A second T-Rex will fight both previously mentioned T-Rex #1 AND giant monkey for taste of said white woman!
- So will some giant bats! Everybody wants a taste!
- It's possible to roundhouse kick and knock out a Velociraptor!
- Giant 3-foot long insects have a natural magnetic attraction to lead bullets, as you can close your eyes and fire a Tommy gun, hitting only the insects and not your friends!
- Previously mentioned scrawny white woman can go out in wintertime Manhattan wearing only an evening dress, and her "headlights" never pop on!
- Same woman can be hauled to the top of the Empire State Building, and not even once have her teeth chatter or have to rub her arms from the freezing cold!
Later,
EV

Wow. In order to recall that type of detail, you must have seen it more than once.

#229 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

District 9 I one of my all time favorite movies ever. LOTR is my favorite trilogy. Even with his movies that wern't so good. least the acting is good and character development is still there. That's why Lucas failed so badly. He didn't give a shit about character development or acting. Also why Bay is a piece of shit director as well.

#230 11 years ago

Ha! I can at least agree with you on Bay. I bought Transformers 3 hearing it was SO MUCH BETTER than the video game trailer known as Transformers 2. Ugh. That's like saying losing an arm is better than losing a leg.

#231 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i have a feeling the original poster is not a fan of Fantasy Movies, and since everyones expectations were high on this movie, he was hoping it would flop. Won't happen. P.J. is too good of a director to let that happen. It's not like he's Lucas or something.

Yes, because the Star Wars films all performed so poorly at the box office.

Quoted from vid1900:

Jackson didn't direct District 9. Neil Blomkamp did.

#232 11 years ago

Two thumbs up...

#233 11 years ago

District 9 was a small waste of my life I will never be able to get back. On the top of my personal hate list. I watched the entire movie thinking something might happen. It did not IMO.

#234 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

District 9 was a small waste of my life I will never be able to get back. On the top of my personal hate list. I watched the entire movie thinking something might happen. It did not IMO.

Sounds like you're describing Broken Flowers. D9 was intense from start to finish!

#235 11 years ago

Plus 100....absolutely awful, and one you walk out of in disgust....waste of $$ and time!

#236 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Sounds like you're describing Broken Flowers. D9 was intense from start to finish!

Nope, I even looked it up to make sure it was the movie I hated from beginning to end. It was D9.

#237 11 years ago

District9 was 100x worse than King Kong

#238 11 years ago

It's fascinating how two people can watch the same film and have 100% polar opposite opinions of it.

#239 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

D9 was intense from start to finish!

Indeed! In a Hollywood that seems capable of little more than churning out prequels, sequels, remakes, reboots, and endless superhero movies year in and year out it was a breath of fresh air to say the least. A rare original idea that wasn't dreamed up by the marketing department and beancounters. Loved it!

#240 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

It's fascinating how two people can watch the same film and have 100% polar opposite opinions of it.

If we all liked the same things life would be dull.

#241 11 years ago

PJ's King Kong had some fantastic stuff in it...and also some shite. When I'm giving a film lecture it always comes up about Jackson loving the original Kong. I, of course, point out that it was more a re-make of the Dino '76 Kong. THAT version had the girl fall for Kong. The ORIGINAL had her scream her head off whenever she saw the big fella. Jacksons Kong was ok entertainment...but NOT the original...

#242 11 years ago

I liked District 9. Nice job!

#243 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Where do I start. Movies are entertainment, not documentaries. King Kong was also intended as an homage to the 1933 original. Logical 'flaws' you pointed out are written into the film deliberately for the objectives stated above.
Understand these things about cinema and you'll enjoy movies a whole lot more.

Oh, I understand plenty of things about cinema, and I enjoy movies just fine thank you very much. All three extended LOTR editions have an honored place on my shelf. Still doesn't change the fact that PJ's Kong sucked ass.

Quoted from Mike_J:

Wow. In order to recall that type of detail, you must have seen it more than once.

Nope. The blessing/curse of an eidetic memory...

Later,
EV

#244 11 years ago

I went this time alone and gave it another chance. Its a decent movie. I think the first time i was being to hard on it. It is a nice way to come back to middle earth.

#245 11 years ago

I was a huge LOTR's fan, but my expectations for the Hobbit were not all that high going in. That said, I thought it was the best movie of 2012. To say I was surprised would be a huge understatement and I hope the next two are as good as the first one because the bar is now pretty high.

I think it is going to be a kick butt theme to build a pin around. Lots of villians and heros, will have a ton of sound clips, and 7 hours or so of film for the kick butt LCD screen it will have. I want one aleady!

#246 11 years ago

As a nerd myself, in reading this thread I feel very comfortable saying . . . Oh my god what a bunch of effing nerds!

#247 11 years ago

I was completely disillusioned when I heard that they were increasing The Hobbit from two films to three. But after seeing the first one, it appears that Jackson was right. I'm very impressed.

#248 11 years ago

I think a lot of people have a problem with D9 because it's a Sci fi film, but not your traditional action or horror sci fi. It's not ment to be an action film by any means. It's an emotional movie and more about human society more than anything else. Any movie where you can take a subject matter, that is so far from human association. And get the audience to root and feel sympathy for a species so off from our own, and turn against and despise our own species in the process. Is a very hard thing to do. To pull it off so successfully is an example of superb directing and writting. Masterpiece! D9 is one of those movies you have to watch, uninterrupted. If you get people trying to talk to you, or kids distracting you while your watching it, your not going to get pulled into the story the way you should. It's a nice quiet, lights off, full attention type movie.

#249 11 years ago

It probably did not help D9 for me that people said it was the best thing ever so expectations were high when I watched it. It wierd because I like some sci-fi. I really liked Farscape but it only lasted 4 seasons. LOTR and Hobbit I am not a huge fan. Enjoyed LOTR but not enough to go see Hobbit yet.

#250 11 years ago

I just saw The Hobbit again yesterday for the second time and have to say I really enjoyed it even more. I'm a little envious of you all who can afford the pin. I'm assuming you're snatching up the K-Mart action figures just in case there aren't enough on the playfield...right? Well, I'm off to dig out my second hand paperback version and start reading it again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-hobbit-bombedany-effect-on-pinball-sales/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.