You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_20180721_182001 (resized).jpg
IMG_2279.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 5 years ago

When Ghostbusters came out, I was excited. Very excited. I played it and thought it was pretty cool.

Then, everyone on earth has crapped on this game. It seems to get universally panned.

So today, I'm looking through the top 100 list, and it's sitting at 26. What the hell?

Does this mean that the game is very very good, or that the top 100 list is a bunch of nonsense. I'm not sure what to believe here? From what little I've played, I thought it looked to be pretty awesome. So what's the real stance with this game? Is it just very polarizing? Is that it?

#2 5 years ago

Had it liked it at the beginning and than got tired of it quick. Had an LE and sold to a fellow pinside that loves it.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Had it liked it at the beginning and than got tired of it quick. Had an LE and sold to a fellow pinside that loves it.

This summarizes what many feel - makes a great first impression and then the wheels come off. I tried twice and had to abandon. It remains my fav pinball theme ever.

Edit - it's not about difficulty. The code and layout is truly lacking, specifically the former.

#4 5 years ago

The flipper gap is a problem, isn't it? Haven't played it but everyone seems to mention it.

#5 5 years ago

A lot of people love the game. Great theme, unique layout, contains licensed assets, awesome artwork and one of Sterns best toy / feature offerings.

The whole "it's too hard" argument is old.

#6 5 years ago

The game I love to hate.

It's got some of the most gorgeous artwork ever printed on a pinball machine. I'll give it THAT much.
But that's about it......for reasons that are already well documented!

#7 5 years ago

Ive had one for about 6 months and I like it. Its challenging and different.
I never really got all the hate, maybe its too difficult for some.

#8 5 years ago

I've seen several people locally who were very enthusiastic about it initially, bought the game NIB, but the love affair faded very fast and at least 2 of them sold their premiums and were very happy to do so. One phrase I kept hearing was "too linear", I haven't played one enough to make a judgement.

Some games age well, others just don't have staying power, GB appears to be the latter.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

One phrase I kept hearing was "too linear", I haven't played one enough to make a judgement.

That would be my assessment as well.

It's also amusing that you can get through 3 modes and still not have as many points as someone that finished one video mode.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

When Ghostbusters came out, I was excited. Very excited. I played it and thought it was pretty cool.
Then, everyone on earth has crapped on this game. It seems to get universally panned.
So today, I'm looking through the top 100 list, and it's sitting at 26. What the hell?
Does this mean that the game is very very good, or that the top 100 list is a bunch of nonsense. I'm not sure what to believe here? From what little I've played, I thought it looked to be pretty awesome. So what's the real stance with this game? Is it just very polarizing? Is that it?

Anyone who owns it votes it as the best. It’s easier to sell a top ranking game.
Ranking games is nonsense.

#11 5 years ago

here is my story... Played the LE close after release and it was not my cup of tee cause:

- LEDs to bright
- Gameplay difficulty
- Lack of rules (I didn't know what to shoot for)
- STDM and airballs all day long

The pro was the better flowing game.

A whole year I told myself GB sucks and it plays not good. But every time I saw a GBLE or Premium I keep coming back and played the shit out of it.
I tried to find things that bother me (shot geometry or the GAP, the outlanes). But the more I played it, the better it became for me. It stands next to BM66, GOTG, GOT, MET, TWD, KISS, TSPP, LOTR, AFM, CCC, and so on but I played GBLE alot more then the others...

So a few months ago I pulled the trigger and bought an LE. After some tweaks it's the perfect machine for me and I'm glad to one this nice piece of pinball

#12 5 years ago

I've loved my GBPRe as much now as when I first got it! Bump MightyGrave here!!

#13 5 years ago

I’m holding off on a Premium until the new version verdict comes in. Perhaps they could give you the option to jump around modes but with a penalty of fewer possible points vs doing the current linear thing.

#14 5 years ago

I hated GBpro when it first came to the local arcade. Now with the more updated code I think it is a tonne of fun. But not an owner.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Ghostbusters is a really good game. Is it perfect, not by any means. Another code update coming will hopefully help fix some of the little things to make it better (scoring imbalance, instant mode start on last previous mode shot, etc). I don't really think the linear aspect is that big of a deal, you have 3 options for mode start, it doesn't have to be Who Brought The Dog, and then you have 3 more options for the second mode start after that. I think the linear complaint really bases out of difficulty, it's a hard game so people go with the easiest mode start which is Who Brought The Dog, so of course they see it more often. It's a unique and jam packed layout that has fantastic theme integration with Ernie's custom call outs and all the Ghostbusters references they put in the game. When it comes down to it, the main reasons people rag on it because it's hard and because of the JT legal issues.

#16 5 years ago

The game is fantastic. My limit for a NIB game is $4500. I paid $6500 for my Premium NIB on a pre-order, as that is how much I like the game/theme. The only reason I sold it (recently) is because it is too hard. Not for me, as I really liked getting kicked in the junk regularly, but for my family. I was the only one playing the game. It isn't approachable for younger kids, as it doesn't really do anything unless you hit a skill shot or beat slimer. If it were easier to get into a mode, I think my family would have played it more.

We replaced it with Full Throttle and that gets played all the time. Just the integration of the LCD screen into the playfield draws my kids into the game.

I miss Ghostbusters, but at the price they are going for, I don't miss it *that* much. For the one to two times I play pinball a month, I rather have a $4k game I don't play rather than a $6k game I don't play.

#17 5 years ago

It's a game that would drive me nuts on location because of the difficulty of getting a good game going (we all know why).

However, a friend of mine bought a premium for his house. He has 4 games and we play the crap out of GB anytime we are over there. It is a very fun game once you get things going a bit. Constantly plopping quarters to hopefully get a good game started is annoying .

#18 5 years ago

I was also excited when GB first came out. I played a few games and thought for sure I was going to buy one at some point. Theme is great and love how it looks. However, the more I played it the more I started to dislike the game. Flipper gap isn't that big of a deal. The geometry/design is just off. Right ramp is badly designed and pretty much useless. Air balls and hops over the inline guides is common. Slimmer toy never seems to work right either. It just feels messy/cheap to play. Every game I played seem to have it's own issues. Code is not all that great either. I feel like I have to work real hard to get a few hundred million yet some guys put down billions of points. Getting to MB never seems easy and everything is pretty linear. Gameplay seems to always consist of the same few modes and a hard fight just to keep ball in play. Not fun. Rather play just about any other pin now than GB. Worst thing is whatever that thing is where the game goes dark and it screams out you. Who the blank thought that was a good idea?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

It's a game that would drive me nuts on location because of the difficulty of getting a good game going (we all know why).

I don't! Can you please explain why?

#20 5 years ago

Critical judgement of the game by players, not owners is fair.
The only thing for me, being an early owner, is the need, as always for polished code.

The Game doesnt fit everyones needs and tastes....what game does?....

and where it lacks, it makes up in pure fun and adrenaline.

I havent beat mine.....Im just not good enough, but I still have a blast and a smile, 2 years? later every time I turn it on.....

Cant imagine a lineup without it, unless I was a Better player/Tournament player.....

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I don't! Can you please explain why?

I don't know what their reason is, but I've stopped playing it on location due to how often some minor mechanical problem would make it unplayable, especially the scoops firing straight down the middle and the gates getting stuck or broken.

#22 5 years ago

I have owned my Ghostbusters for 6 months now and I still love it and prob will never get rid of it. If you go in the owners thread you will see a lot of tweaks that will make this game so much more fun. Center post, shorter hex screw on the right ramp (premium/LE), Air ball protectors for left ramp, ext....As a tournament game it is horrible. The reason why is due to the faulty code which makes the video mode an unfair point advantage and just makes this game not fun for that is all you are going for to get points. It's riskier to shoot for your modes in tournaments due to this game being pretty hard. I have a couple guys in league who despise this game. When I invited them over to play and made them actually play the game they were blown away at how fun the game actually is when you play the modes and unlock a lot. They both put up the highest scores they have ever done and were having a blast. I'm really excited for the new code to come out and hope it does balance a lot of the scoring issues in the game. I love the magna slings and the flipper gap for it makes it a much different feeling game then the other games I have. I love that it is different.

#23 5 years ago

Played a nicely set up premium at the 1up recently. It has the lane protectors to help work the air balls and what not.

Plays much better and makes end game much more enjoyable.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

People don't like GB??? or some loud pinside people don't like GB?

I have a premium and LOVE the game. All my friends at league find it their fav out of my line up. It doesn't matter to me if people hate it, I'll be keeping it...

#25 5 years ago

Got my Premium in December 2016 and still play it more than any other game in my collection of 10 games (mostly A-List). Four thoughts, and some of this is might be obvious. 1) In this game, you gotta have the Premium. The side-to-side moving slimer, magna-slings, 3D molded buildings, hologram, subway, crossover ramp... all together it's a much better game than the Pro in my opinion. 2) The game is fun and, obviously, quite challenging. That's an important combination. I've never completed all three ladders in one game but it always feels like it's possible. If it was just challenging and not fun I'd get tired of it. But it's fun and I keep wanting to play it "one more time", often trying different strategies. 3) Many will find that this game needs to be tweaked, tuned, and/or modded until it feels right (and even starts to feel like an A-List game). I currently have slightly longer flippers with slightly tightened-up outlanes, ColorDMD (single color for now), PDI glass, interactive walking stay-puft (with improved lighting), interactive Ecto-1, and some other minor tweaks. 4) It's overdue for a code update. I'm kinda pissed at Stern about that but hopefully it will come soon, and maybe full ColorDMD colorization after that.

#26 5 years ago

I’ve had a blast every time I’ve played GB on location. While playing I found I kept asking myself what the big deal was about everything. All this flipper gap and outlane complaining, and meanwhile I’m having the longest games of my day on this title!

I say buy it, and if turns out not to be your thing... then sell it! That’s my plan.

#27 5 years ago

the game is great. nudging helps. i love the game and i own it. i like the options for choosing modes. i like the flipper gap. you can still post pass on it. tons of options for game play. no crazy shot multipliers. a couple tough shots but u can master them.

#28 5 years ago

Ghostbusters is a good game. It has a few critical flaws that hold it back from being great. They really need to improve the WCWS mode, balance scoring a bit more, and do a lot of bug cleanup work. It has more pros than cons, however.

Pros:

- Good layout. Non-standard, but not totally oddball either. Shots are really satisfying, especially the ramps.
- Gorgeous artwork, fantastic light show.
- Some of the best sound work ever on a Stern machine, possibly the best.
- Great theme.
- Challenging rule set, but can be thrilling when you're dialed into your shots well.

Cons:

- Bugs. Bugs, bugs, bugs.
- Score is imbalanced and needs tweaking.
- The ball hops a lot on this game and you really need to get some additional mods to settle it down (most notably the airball protector for the left ramp stand ups).

I still think it's one of the better Stern games released, but it's full of untapped potential. They REALLY need to get that final update done on the code.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

That would be my assessment as well.
It's also amusing that you can get through 3 modes and still not have as many points as someone that finished one video mode.

We call GB the best videogame in our pinball league.

#30 5 years ago

The video mode imbalance is frustrating. If someone can plunge to the skill shot to start video mode and you can't, well, you're screwed.

#31 5 years ago

Awesome game, lots of fun - hard though which is the main turn off.

Also I didn't understand how badly 'tuned' some of these are, but it does need some work dialing it in, I bough another recently and it was barley playable, after a few hours of tweaking it plays great and is lots of fun now.

#32 5 years ago

Picked up a gble in a trade for my woz rr. I figured I’d unload the gb pretty fast, but turns out I like it a lot so will be keeping it a while. It was unplayable when I got it due to airballs and cheap outlane drains, but that’s all been resolved. It gets played much more than woz ever did and unlike woz, has that push the start button one more time feel to it.

#33 5 years ago

In simple terms it means the rating system shouldn't be trusted like the ohter 1,000,000 we've talked aboot it.

As for the game the Prem+ offers some interesting things, but overall the game is a poor layout, repetitive, annoying hunk of shit.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Cons:

- Bugs. Bugs, bugs, bugs.

I played the crap out of my premium and once I discovered all the bugs in the code, I couldn't get past it. They drove me crazy every time I played and finally sold it.

Also, the Slimer mech is horrible too. One shot would register multiple hits. I screwed around with that mech so much and finally said screw it and left it as is.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

annoying hunk of shit.

Awww...dont call my over modded, over LED'd, Giant Green Beast a piece of Shit.....Gonna send some Ghosts your way!

The Magna Slings Alone, well tweaked, fresh balls, is my favorite....Wild tricks..!!

#36 5 years ago

I'm surprised to see some many pro-GB comments in here. Pinside normally loves to hate this game.

For me, I've gone through about three "love it"/"tired of it" cycles on my Pro after owning it for about 18 months now. It is a good game, but the current ruleset isn't great if you're going to be putting a lot of time on it. I found that if I let it sit for awhile, then come back, I really enjoy it. Here's hoping that the new code set gives it some more life!

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I played it and thought it was pretty cool.

This is all that matters. To each their own.

Who gives a rat's ass what other people think.

#38 5 years ago

I think where it's rated is somewhat fair. The game definitely has certain nuances that are going to annoy the piss out of the flow flow flow guys. I think it's a great game, definitely more difficult than most. Great art work and sound effects, I think if this game ever gets the color DMD and new code people might warm up to it again. GB is one of my favorite themes of all time so it will be hanging around for awhile. I still haven't even come close to finishing all ladders. I've been able to complete two at most. It's still a fun game in my mind and I've probably got over 3k games on mine.

#39 5 years ago

Do you ever find out who brought the dog?

#40 5 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#41 5 years ago

It’s a good game for good players. Terrible game for beginners. Too tough to get any where, and repetitive call outs early in the game.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Awww...dont call my over modded, over LED'd, Giant Green Beast a piece of Shit.....Gonna send some Ghosts your way!

Already had those ghosts and cleaned them out myself!

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Do you ever find out who brought the dog?

No, but I found out it's true. Some men have no dick.

#44 5 years ago

I still enjoy my GB a lot. Love the looks and the gameplay for the most part. My only beef with it, (premium version) is the right side spiral ramp on the premium. It's fatially flawed. Even with 9 hours of tweeking, trying to minimize the resistance to the ball, I still have a 50% failure rate. Ball flies up to the top, stops and comes back down. SHould have been a flip up scoop like on wheel of fortune. Nice smooth transaction.

Yes flipper gap is a PIA, but if you dont' like, just change to the carrot style flippers and now your game is a standard gap.

#45 5 years ago

I enjoyed the Premium version. Like the subway ramp. Although this game can be a bit too modded.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I still enjoy my GB a lot. Love the looks and the gameplay for the most part. My only beef with it, (premium version) is the right side spiral ramp on the premium. It's fatially flawed. Even with 9 hours of tweeking, trying to minimize the resistance to the ball, I still have a 50% failure rate. Ball flies up to the top, stops and comes back down. SHould have been a flip up scoop like on wheel of fortune. Nice smooth transaction.
Yes flipper gap is a PIA, but if you dont' like, just change to the carrot style flippers and now your game is a standard gap.

It's a must to change that hex screw there. Once I did that I am able to make that right ramp shot all the time. It is an awesome shot and I still scratch my head that Stern has not fixed that issue. I don't remember what size hex screw it was but I bought 3 different sizes on pinball life website and tried each one. Once you change that screw and lower that ramp down a little that ball will whiz up there and around and its awesome.

#47 5 years ago

i've changed the hex screw. I've changed the slingshot connection. I've trimmed off 1/8" of blue rubber. Torqued the ramp as much as I could to be more angled towards the flipper trajectory, bent the right metal guide so it forms like a condom to the side of the ramp. I've done it all, and improved the rejection rate I had that was 95% when I got the game, and have to down to 50% rejection rate.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Ghostbusters is one of the worst games ever made. A total load, and a complete waste of a spot in your house.

That is really my opinion of this turd of a game, and it means NOTHING if you like the game and are wanting to buy it. Maybe my statement of how much I dislike the linear ruleset in GB would be more influential, however, if you like that and like the game, again it is meaningless.

Really, the top 100 is just a joke. It is at 26 because it is being manipulated both up, and down. Just like every other game. So it all doesn't mean anything. Go play the game. If you like it, maybe you buy it. If you don't, you won't. Get the games you like to play, and the heck with every other persons opinion.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've changed the hex screw. I've changed the slingshot connection. I've trimmed off 1/8" of blue rubber. Torqued the ramp as much as I could to be more angled towards the flipper trajectory, bent the right metal guide so it forms like a condom to the side of the ramp. I've done it all, and improved the rejection rate I had that was 95% when I got the game, and have to down to 50% rejection rate.

Interesting. I may have put the shortest hex screw you can possibly put in there. Again, I am not sure what size it was but mine works great.

#50 5 years ago

GB is just a FUN pin that is in need of a code update

Add a color dmd (if it’s out yet) and it’s a keeper imo

It’s different and packed. I like different

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-ghostbusters?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.