(Topic ID: 306191)

So games are now $10K - $20K, are people still paying with cash?

By kevmad

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dboeren
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    20211217_120423 (resized).jpg
    MoneyCookie (resized).jpg
    34E2A113-F46C-4ED9-B54D-379D04DFCF35 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    businessman-walking-secure-briefcase-holding-260nw-72127762 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1639712458655 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sbmania.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I always tell people if you don't want these questions or reporting on your financial activity, don't keep your money in the bank.

Exactly. Doesn't anybody keep some money around for a last minute pinball buy? If you typically buy and sell pinball machines as a hobby, just hang onto the cash from your last sale and use it for your next purchase.
    This question comes up over and over again, with each side having their adherents. As for me, I pay in cash and I only take cash, unless you are personally known to me. Then I will take anything including a handshake promise if I know and have dealt with you before. Although I now use a counterfeit pen detector based on a friend's recent experience.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

It's true.
    3 years ago I made a 1000 mile trip to pick up a pin for $8K. I went with wire transfer. I had nightmares of crossing multiple states with that kind of cash, especially since I was heading to Arizona.
    1 month ago, I sold a pin and my buyer wired the money. There was a small bank wire fee. The risk is that you have to pass your bank account number to your buyer. But once the money is in your account it is yours. There is no PayPal clawback risk.
    Last week I pulled big bucks to buy a pin located 200 miles away. The banker knows that I and a friend are into pinball. I got my cash but the bank manager had to authorize the transaction. It does make me wonder if the bank manager and I did not know each other if he would have made the authorization.
    If I am selling, I would have no problem of going old school and taking a personal check. Once your check clears the bank then you can have the pin.
    I bought a pin from another pinsider via personal check. The only cost was the postage stamp. By the time the seller had the pin ready to ship my check had already cleared the bank. It was a seamless transaction.

"If I am selling, I would have no problem of going old school and taking a personal check. Once your check clears the bank then you can have the pin.
    I bought a pin from another pinsider via personal check. The only cost was the postage stamp. By the time the seller had the pin ready to ship my check had already cleared the bank. It was a seamless transaction."

The problem is, if you ask your bank manager, not your run of the mill teller, how long until the money absolutely can not be reversed, they will admit that it can take as much as 30 or more days for a check to actually clear to the point that it can't be reversed. Yes, the money clears in a day or two, but it can be reversed for a LONG time! The risk is completely on the person taking the check! It's probably not a big deal usually...until it is.

#118 2 years ago

Everyone should remember that citizens have rights when pulled over by police. If they ask to search your car or try something sneakier like "I need to take a quick look in your trunk", you should generally NOT consent to a search. Say something like "with all due respect officer, unless you have a warrant, I do not consent to any searches". If the officer persists, you might ask what reasonable articulable suspicion or probable cause he has for a search. Assuming you have nothing in plain view, like stacks of cash, drug paraphernalia, guns or ammo, etc, he will have no legal grounds for a search.

Maintain your refusal to consent to a search and ask if you are free to go. If the police threaten to go get a search warrant, unless they really have some evidence that you are about to commit a crime, or are in the process of committing one, they are not going to get the warrant.

They can legally search any part of your car that you can reach from the driver's seat "for officer safety" so if you are carrying cash to buy the pinball of your dreams, do not have it in the drivers seat, console, glove box, etc. They can also ask you to step out of the car and do a Terry frisk for weapons. If you get out of the car, lock the door behind you. This makes it a bit harder to suggest you have access to any area inside the car.

If you have a locked briefcase in the car, that is an additional level of privacy that will require a warrant to be legally searched. Any illegal searches that reveal something becomes fruit of the poisonous tree and might well be inadmissible in court.

After a period of time, they are going to have to let you go on your way or be guilty of illegal detention.

I am not a lawyer, but this is what I have been told by one. If any lawyer types can weigh in further on this subject, I think it would be very beneficial to everyone here.
    This asset forfeiture business is bs, and the public should do everything in its power to stop it.

#131 2 years ago

Cops will try all kinds of strategies to get you to consent to let them do a search. From threats to reverse psychology to playing on your natural desire to not be delayed. They do this because absent ras, probable cause, or plain view violations, they can't legally search your car without permission. And if they do, anything discovered will likely be tossed out in court. So learn to respectfully refuse to consent to a search and stick to your decision. Cops ate paid to look for violations of the law. They can be nice guys, even very sympathetic to your circumstances, but they are NOT your friends in a professional setting! Be polite but on your guard, even if you are innocent.

Look up a you tube video called "do not talk to the police" by a good lawyer for some eye opening things.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sbmania.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-games-are-now-10k-20k-are-people-still-paying-with-cash?tu=sbmania and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.