(Topic ID: 306191)

So games are now $10K - $20K, are people still paying with cash?

By kevmad

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dboeren
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    20211217_120423 (resized).jpg
    MoneyCookie (resized).jpg
    34E2A113-F46C-4ED9-B54D-379D04DFCF35 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    businessman-walking-secure-briefcase-holding-260nw-72127762 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1639712458655 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grandnational007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 2 years ago

Without side tracking this discussion too much, If I get pulled over for speeding, or some other arbitrary infraction, and a law enforcement officer asks to search my vehicle and I clearly say "No, Officer, you may not search my vehicle" (You can't refuse a search of your person), and they do, I can assure you that they will be naming that town "Grandnational007ville" in short order after my legal council is done with them.

Police cannot create "probable cause" when there isn't any. And believe-you-me, I've heard it all: "You're vehicle matches the description of a car that just left a bank robbery! Mind if I take a quick look inside so you can be on your way?"

Of course every situation when contact with law enforcement occurs is different, and people get themselves jammed up, when they could otherwise be driving off with nothing, a warning, or a ticket. You need to weigh "but muh rights!" with "will I be able to just drive off after the officer realizes I'm a normal, law abiding citizen, going about their mundane business" with "did I forget that I might have (or knowingly have) contraband in the vehicle, and the the nice officer will let me go for being honest with them (the latter is NEVER the right answer...)

My humble advice? Don't have anything that could even remotely be considered "suspicious" within view of your vehicle. Carrying a substantial amount of cash? Keep it in a lockbox in the trunk, with the receipt from the bank. And travel with a discrete dash-cam that records interior audio if you're extra paranoid. Most modern vehicles now come equipped as such, and they are password protected if you are REALLY worried about corrupt leo's tampering with it.

It's not as sexy as some other alternatives, but drive a newer, non-descript vehicle in good upkeep and the interior not filled to the roof with garbage, obey traffic laws, and be polite should you come into contact with leo on the side of the road. If you do the above, chances are 99.9999999999% you'll be able to peaceably travel wherever you want, with whatever you want, and not get hassled by "the man".

Safe travels.

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Sounds like relevant discussion to me. Pinballers hauling lots of cash to go buy a pin need to be aware of the laws, and the lack of laws, or lack of obeying the law by the leo's (crooked cops and towns ).
    right now we are all over the place with this. Some of us say "watch out". Others say "don't sweat it". Which is correct?
    The scary part is if "they" do take your money, you will spend a lot of time and money trying to get YOUR money back. If you are 3 states away for your home state and this happens you are at a huge disadvantage before you even try to get your money back.

Easy peasy enough...

Should a person ever be pulled over by LEO, which you shouldn't in the first place if the person followed my advice above...

Assuming you have a "large amount" of your own cash in the vehicle, and you were pulled over for some arbitrary infraction:

LEO: "do you have a large amount of cash in the vehicle?"

Pinballbuyer: "No"

LEO: Either "OK"

or, "Do you mind if I take a quick look around in your vehicle?"

PB: "I do mind officer, I'm on my way to my relative's wedding/funeral/anniversary/etc. and do not want to be late."

LEO: "It'll only take a couple of seconds, you don't have anything to hide do you? You'll be right on your way after I take a quick looksie..."

PB: "As I said before officer, I do not consent to any searches. I don't want to be late to xxx event that I just told you.

LEO will now either send you on your way, give you a verbal warning/written warning/ticket, or hold you at the roadside for 10 minutes while they fully run your reg/license/tags/insurance, which should all be clean. Then send you on your way with one of three above, assuming you didn't escalate the interaction any further.

My advice still stands: Don't invite the man into your life, and if you do, don't ever admit that you're guilty of anything.

We're talking about being pulled over for speeding, having a taillight out, etc, which for the most part, constitute minor, non-arrestable offenses; not being caught red-handed at the scene of a major felony.

The above should not be construed in any way to constitute legal advice.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

I have bought and sold a handful of pins over 10k. And I am packing everytime. Why take the chance. Even if its in my own garage. Better safe than sorry.

Easier said than done when crossing state lines, or where there's no reciprocity for your state's ccw permit. I'm of the thought that they should be treated like driver's licenses (if you're responsible enough to drive in one state, you're responsible to drive in them all...), but don't even get me started on the absurdity that the "state" grants you a paper to exercise a god-given/constitutional right...

Of course, all of this only applies to generally, law abiding citizens.

#130 2 years ago

I’m not defending the actions of the cops…but he simply should have said no when they asked to toss the car. They had no probable cause to search the car, he willingly granted it. He probably thought the nice officers would let him go for being honest. And I’m not arguing that he committed a crime by carrying cash. I think it’s literal highway robbery that cops are committing in these instances.

#142 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

A sales transaction is a two way street.
    If I knew a buyer was coming to my house with a loaded gun, I wouldn't sell to him.

But how would you know? Concealed is concealed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grandnational007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-games-are-now-10k-20k-are-people-still-paying-with-cash?tu=Grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.