(Topic ID: 306191)

So games are now $10K - $20K, are people still paying with cash?

By kevmad

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dboeren
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    20211217_120423 (resized).jpg
    MoneyCookie (resized).jpg
    34E2A113-F46C-4ED9-B54D-379D04DFCF35 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    businessman-walking-secure-briefcase-holding-260nw-72127762 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1639712458655 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coindork.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 2 years ago

The federal law for cash reporting is any transaction in cash (or cash equivalents) that is over $10,000 is required to be reported.
    I.E. $10,000 does not need to be reported, but once you get one cent over 10k with a cash transaction the Feds require a 8300 cash reporting form.
    Everyone at my office (myself included) has to take an anti money laundering exam every year.
    What the Feds consider cash equivalents are things like money orders where you buy a negotiable instrument with cash and the funds are not directed from a bank account.
    Things like a personal check or bank wire the Feds do not consider a cash equivalent as a funds are coming from an account and presumably taxes were paid on those funds.

In regards to one of the earlier questions about breaking a larger payment (over 10K) into smaller payments that are under 10k.
    This is called structuring and illegal.
    It is however ok to make multiple payments to a person that total for over 10k, but they need to be unrelated sales.

I don't really use any of the "cash apps" other than sending the occasional paypal so I haven't followed what they are talking about doing in regards to reporting.
    According to the IRS website the 1099-K is for cumulative transactions that total more than $20,000 or more than 200 transactions in a taxable year.
    This sounds to me more like the IRS trying to crackdown on people runnings smaller businesses that are trying to fly under the radar.

#121 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

There were some pleas to get rid of the 50 and 100 a few years ago because they claimed they were mostly used for criminal activity. Bad logic and obviously didn’t stick. So we haven’t been thinking in that direction.

At one point Bureau of Engraving and Printing did issue $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000 notes.
    They were last printed in 1945, but continued to be issued until 1969.
    Their official reason for discontinuing them was "lack of use", which is probably partially true.
    These bills were intended for larger transactions that are not "everyday purchases".
    All of those denominations are still legal tender and can technically be spent, although the collector value is higher than the face value of the notes.
    I've bought and sold many $500 and $1000 dollar bills over the years, as well as a few $5,000 and $10,000 notes.
    When these bills were current most people had never seen a $5,000 or $10,000 and $500 and $1000 notes were not common use as this was a lot of money during that time period.
    I did have one client once tell me that he recalled his father showing him a $10,000 note when he was a kid and sold their family farm and they went directly to the bank with it.
    Unless you have a need to move around large amounts of cash, the larger denominations are not really that practical for everyday commerce.
    I doubt we will ever see something like those denominations again unless inflation gets really out of control.

The BEP also printed $100,000 notes, but those were strictly used within the government and are not legal to own and they were never issued to the general public.

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Sounds like relevant discussion to me. Pinballers hauling lots of cash to go buy a pin need to be aware of the laws, and the lack of laws, or lack of obeying the law by the leo's (crooked cops and towns ).
    right now we are all over the place with this. Some of us say "watch out". Others say "don't sweat it". Which is correct?
    The scary part is if "they" do take your money, you will spend a lot of time and money trying to get YOUR money back. If you are 3 states away for your home state and this happens you are at a huge disadvantage before you even try to get your money back.

I think being aware of the laws is just as important as being aware of the scams that are out there.
    Both are things that should be discussed and people should be aware of for a variety of reasons and their possible implications.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coindork.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-games-are-now-10k-20k-are-people-still-paying-with-cash?tu=Coindork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.