Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 6 months ago

"They weren't enforced because our government is very slow when it comes to technology and how to handle it across all the different states. This was ALWAYS coming eventually after they finally forced everyone to collect tax for online sales. I'm not any happier about it than you, but it doesn't mean it wasn't always there. It was about people not actually being honest, and they know it"

Again....people don't seem to know their history. Income tax came about as a 'permanent' part of US life in 1913...and even then, only the richest people were targeted - much like today. Income tax didn't really affect the average person until the 1930s when certain political party which still exists today but cannot be identified here had it implemented.

Mankind existed for millions of years without income tax. So...only if your definition of "always" is the past hundred years or so is it accurate to say income tax has always been around. It's incredibly sad that people think of it as a normal part of human existence, much like they would eating or drinking water.

Last...as for honesty....I believe honesty is something that exists as a human condition - not as a government invention. If the government passed a law tomorrow that made breathing illegal - would you automatically become a dishonest person for sneaking a breath now and then?

#152 6 months ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

"They weren't enforced because our government is very slow when it comes to technology and how to handle it across all the different states. This was ALWAYS coming eventually after they finally forced everyone to collect tax for online sales. I'm not any happier about it than you, but it doesn't mean it wasn't always there. It was about people not actually being honest, and they know it"
    Again....people don't seem to know their history. Income tax came about as a 'permanent' part of US life in 1913...and even then, only the richest people were targeted - much like today. Income tax didn't really affect the average person until the 1930s when certain political party which still exists today but cannot be identified here had it implemented.
    Mankind existed for millions of years without income tax. So...only if your definition of "always" is the past hundred years or so is it accurate to say income tax has always been around. It's incredibly sad that people think of it as a normal part of human existence, much like they would eating or drinking water.
    Last...as for honesty....I believe honesty is something that exists as a human condition - not as a government invention. If the government passed a law tomorrow that made breathing illegal - would you automatically become a dishonest person for sneaking a breath now and then?

So your point is because the cavemen didn't have taxes, therefore we are all wrong. Got it.

#153 6 months ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Since you apparently dont enjoy the capitalistic principles the USA was founded on, perhaps you should investigate relocating to Cuba. I'm sure you can find a nice little hut where you and all your neighbors can be equal and you wont have to worry about other peoples' relative success compared to you.

Do we really need to go with the "love it or leave it" rationale in an argument about the U.S.?
    I won't let my students use that approach in their persuasive writing, because it is a logical fallacy (either/or fallacy)
    Be like my students (they are great actually), avoid logical fallacies, and have a great day!

#154 6 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

So your point is because the cavemen didn't have taxes, therefore we are all wrong. Got it.

Caveman infrastructure was notoriously underfunded. Weak power grid. Collapsing bridges. Wooly mammoth population dangerously unchecked.

These are very complicated issues! I think we are about halfway to having them solved, hopefully this thread is allowed to continue so we can figure it all out by next week.

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!