Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Yes, lets motivate my child not to work hard.

Public school systems have that covered. Participation trophies and straight A's for everyone, yet nearly none of them know:

1. When and how this country was founded
    2. How to create and manage a budget (but let's get that Pythagorean theorem in there!)
    3. Any relevant skills like shop, woodworking, or auto maintenance

But hey, be a YT "influencer" or social media celebrity and "make it in life", because that's really giving back to society !!!!

#102 1 year ago

Ha these kids today are already taught that

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Always should have been. The Europeans have been paying more via VAT for quite some time.
    We need to get serious about taxes in this country. Do you really need to make 200k per year? At one time the top rate was ~ 80%. Let's get it back up there, and also eliminate the inheritance tax exclusion. You didn't earn daddy's millions, so pay your tax. Gotta sell the mansion? Too bad.

As a small business owner, if the government were to tax me at a rate of 80%, it would remove all incentive to stay in business, much to the detriment of my employees and well served clientele. Next, take the case of the small family farmer. He may have inherited land that has been in his family for generations. The land itself may be valued in the millions, but the annual return on farming it may be much more modest (or in some years, even a loss). Tax the land value as an inheritance and he has to sell off the land just to pay the taxes.

#104 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

But hey, be a YT "influencer" or social media celebrity and "make it in life", because that's really giving back to society !!!!

Ugh. I'm torn on that one. Cover yourself in tattoos and a stupid hairstyle and make more money in a year than I will in a lifetime by making stupid videos. On one hand, more power to you for gaming the system. It's just that the system is broken.

#105 1 year ago

This thread makes me want some tea.

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

IMO one of the biggest wastes of how tax dollars (for funding) is the 'you have to use everything you budgeted for this year, or you don't get it next year' rule. My time in the military also showed me how wasteful and...frankly...how much palm greasing is done when it comes to who decides where tax dollars go.

The military itself is a waste of $, always has been, always will.

Full retirement by age 40? Who the fuck made that rule? Stop paying them to do nothing.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

We may not always agree what they are used for, or how the money is spent or how much, but i wouldn't call it a waste. It is a byproduct of humanity. We tried the 'we'll stay out of it' and look how that went.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Always should have been. The Europeans have been paying more via VAT for quite some time.
    We need to get serious about taxes in this country. Do you really need to make 200k per year? At one time the top rate was ~ 80%. Let's get it back up there, and also eliminate the inheritance tax exclusion. You didn't earn daddy's millions, so pay your tax. Gotta sell the mansion? Too bad.

You didn't earn those millions either, so by your logic why should you benefit from them?
    If anyone has a claim to that money it's the person the owner of the capital willed it to...

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Quoted from Methos:

Okay... I didn't say anything when you insulted half the people on the site earlier for daring to work hard and make a good life for themselves and wanting to share their hard work with their families, but I will not stand by and let you insult the military. I spent 5 years in the United States Marine Corps and have been all over God's green earth. I never fired a rifle in action, but do you know what I did with that "waste of money". Tsunami relief in South East Asia... supported communications for the Fukishima exclusion zone evacuation after the nuclear disaster in Japan, trained Filipino Marines in new techniques to take out Islamic Separatists Extremists that keep assassinating mayors, stood by to kick North Korea's ass if they marched south, supported efforts to get Afghanis to grow food instead of blowing themselves up... and I was never one of the forward combat deployed Marines doing any of the shooting stuff. The young enlisted privates, lance corporals, and corporals are the ones doing the lions share of the work and they never get credit for the sacrifices they make. Go see some of the world outside of a tourist destination if you want to see why we need the military.

As to the "do you really need to make 200k per year"? Yes. I worked my ass off to get where I am. After joining the military I worked my ass off to get four (4) college degrees and over a dozen professional certifications to support my family. I work extra shifts to save money and set it aside for my kids college education. I have money set aside I want my children to have after I go. They didn't "earn" that money, but I sure as hell put in the sweat equity for them to have it and have a better life for their families.

#111 1 year ago

Okay... I didn't say anything when you insulted half the people on the site earlier for daring to work hard and make a good life for themselves and wanting to share their hard work with their families, but I will not stand by and let you insult the military. I spent 5 years in the United States Marine Corps and have been all over God's green earth. I never fired a rifle in action, but do you know what I did with that "waste of money". Tsunami relief in South East Asia... supported communications for the Fukishima exclusion zone evacuation after the nuclear disaster in Japan, trained Filipino Marines in new techniques to take out Islamic Separatists Extremists that keep assassinating mayors, stood by to kick North Korea's ass if they marched south, supported efforts to get Afghanis to grow food instead of blowing themselves up... and I was never one of the forward combat deployed Marines doing any of the shooting stuff. The young enlisted privates, lance corporals, and corporals are the ones doing the lions share of the work and they never get credit for the sacrifices they make. Go see some of the world outside of a tourist destination if you want to see why we nee
    As to the "do you really need to make 200k per year"? Yes. I worked my ass off to get where I am. After joining the military I worked my ass off to get four (4) college degrees and over a dozen professional certifications to support my family. I work extra shifts to save money and set it aside for my kids college education. I have money set aside I want my children to have after I go. They didn't "earn" that money, but I sure as hell put in the sweat equity for them to have it and have a better life for their families.

Don't let it get you riled. Most people do not appreciate things they've never had to be concerned with. No one likes the military or police until they are needed and not there. I am of the mindset that EVERYONE should need to do some time in the military. It teaches at least some humility, and maybe even some common sense by the time they are done.

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

This thread makes me want some tea.

Makes me want to throw some in the harbor!

#113 1 year ago

Can we get back to throwing our possessions in the trash instead of selling them because of a little paperwork please?

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Can we get back to throwing our possessions in the trash instead of selling them because of a little paperwork please?

I would like to state for the record that your local pinball show is a great place to sell pinball, and general arcade/nostolgia stuff. The video games I put up for sale on the local show buy/sell thread all sold instantly, didn't involve a 1099 or a trip to the post office, and were sold to someone for a price cheaper than he could have bought them off of ebay for. 10/10... save your stuff for the local pinball show and post pictures in the buy/sale/trade trhead.

#115 1 year ago

I would like to state for the record that your local pinball show is a great place to sell pinball, and general arcade/nostolgia stuff. The video games I put up for sale on the local show buy/sell thread all sold instantly, didn't involve a 1099 or a trip to the post office, and were sold to someone for a price cheaper than he could have bought them off of ebay for. 10/10... save your stuff for the local pinball show and post pictures in the buy/sale/trade trhead.

Always best to sell that way if you can. After 23 years of my e-commerce side business my desire to keep going is finally slipping. Fees and shipping go up every year, while the value of what I sell goes down. I may transition more to selling services instead. I have an ebay searching website that makes me a bit in commissions. I may expand my customer base there or add another similar site or two and call it a day on resale.

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Nah; that's just stupid talk.
    I mean; if a 1099 makes you want to vomit... then I guess taking those possessions to goodwill or salvation army for a donation receipt is out of the question. Because gawd forbid more paperwork to lessen your tax burden is a PITA.

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zitt:Nah; that's just stupid talk.
    I mean; if a 1099 makes you want to vomit... then I guess taking those possessions to goodwill or salvation army for a donation receipt is out of the question. Because gawd forbid more paperwork to lessen your tax burden is a PITA.

I drop off stuff with them all the time and never get the donation receipt, because the paperwork is a PITA. In order for it to be worth your while, you cannot be taking the standard deduction. I understand that others may be motivated to donate for the tax write off and some may just want to do some good. I however usually take stuff there that I just don't want to go to waste.

#118 1 year ago

I drop off stuff with them all the time and never get the donation receipt, because the paperwork is a PITA. In order for it to be worth your while, you cannot be taking the standard deduction. I understand that others may be motivated to donate for the tax write off and some may just want to do some good. I however usually take stuff there that I just don't want to go to waste.

Yeah the newer deduction threshold I could never get near.

#119 1 year ago

You'll get near it when you start claiming all your allowed deductions from your new pinball-hobby-turned-business.

#120 1 year ago

I will never insult those who fight for the county and put their lives at stake, so don't project.

You were only able to get a degree because of privilege - let's be honest and leave it as that.

And those "relief packages" just wind up in the pockets of local warlords or other government official's coffers. The evil that men do. It's all a scam.

No one needs more than 200k annually. There are others who need it more than you do. I love how these millionaires keep preaching about the public good, but don't pay shit for taxes and transfer zillions within estate vehicles so they keep their mansions and cars and everything else they don't need. Freaking hypocrites - all of them.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

You were only able to get a degree because of privilege - let's be honest and leave it as that.

Talk about projecting...

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:I will never insult those who fight for the county and put their lives at stake, so don't project.
    And those "relief packages" just wind up in the pockets of local warlords or other government official's coffers. The evil that men do. It's all a scam.
    No one needs more than 200k annually. There are others who need it more than you do. I love how these millionaires keep preaching about the public good, but don't pay shit for taxes and transfer zillions within estate vehicles so they keep their mansions and cars and everything else they don't need. Freaking hypocrites - all of them.

as he sits here participating on a forum where each "toy" is a multi-thousand dollar investment... lol

#123 1 year ago

I am of the mindset that EVERYONE should need to do some time in the military. It teaches at least some humility, and maybe even some common sense by the time they are done.

Wow..... That is right out of Heinlein's Starship Troopers! You can't serious....I didn't think that type of thinking still existed.

#124 1 year ago

Still make more money with less hassle than if I was selling the same junk on Craigslist or at a show. Don't really mind paying the piper anyway, when I sell that stuff I'm using the postal service and the roads and the general infrastructure that makes the profit on that transaction possible today, not however many years ago when the thing I'm selling was first sold and that transaction taxed.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Wow..... That is right out of Heinlein's Starship Troopers! You can't serious....I didn't think that type of thinking still existed.

Wow you took that and ran the insane direction.

Something tells me either you know very little about the military (less than you think you know) or someone did something really bad to you.

#126 1 year ago

Replace military with civic service and you're more in the right track. Military isn't for everyone but basic "how to live in society" training would help a lot of folks.

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Replace military with civic service and you're more in the right track. Military isn't for everyone but basic "how to live in society" training would help a lot of folks.

Okay, that works. I was lumping it into the 'basic training' years/public service portions. Not the let's go kill all those <insert current baddie here> stuff.

On a side note, I once was evacuating a town from a flood in the south central states in the middle of the night and was continuously greeted with shotguns to the face and 'no, we won't go' feet stamping. No one needs that. Then they complained that we didn't do enough. Felt bad for them even though they didn't seem to appreciate it. While I may not agree with everything the military is tasked to do, it does indeed teach you some things.

edit: left off a portion.

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I will never insult those who fight for the county and put their lives at stake, so don't project.

You are actively insulting active military and veterans right now. "The military itself is a waste of $, always has been, always will." You went back and edited your comment after you posted it to be a complaint about retirement benefits. As far as a privilege to get a degree, everyone who lives in this country is privileged. If you are saying that I was privileged to get the degree I worked my ass off to get, taking all of my classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 in the morning until 6 in the evening so I could work Friday to Monday and Wednesdays and still get my work done, check yourself. I worked full time to support my family while earning degrees 2, 3, and 4 with some of the benefits I was promised for giving up five years of my life.

I do not resent those who make more than me. (edit: to address your comment that "no one needs more than 200k annually") You live in the United States the average income here is many times that of other countries. Why do you need a $30,000 per year income when there are so many others in other countries that live in shacks and quite literally live hand to mouth. Just having air conditioning and a refrigerator with food in it is a luxury much of the world could only dream of. It doesn't seem fair for you to have so much while so many others have so little... much less a pinball machine. After all, no one needs a pinball machine. Are all pinsiders "freaking hypocrites" that should give up our pinball machines because others have less than us?

#129 1 year ago

What has happened to this once great community? Remember the days where we banded together to make fun of overpriced machines on EBay?

Look at us now… EBay is tearing us apart…

#130 1 year ago

You are actively insulting active military and veterans right now. "The military itself is a waste of $, always has been, always will." You went back and edited your comment after you posted it to be a complaint about retirement benefits. As far as a privilege to get a degree, everyone who lives in this country is privileged. If you are saying that I was privileged to get the degree I worked my ass off to get, taking all of my classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 in the morning until 6 in the evening so I could work Friday to Monday and Wednesdays and still get my work done, check yourself. I worked full time to support my family while earning degrees 2, 3, and 4 with some of the benefits I was promised for giving up five years of my life.
    I do not resent those who make more than me. (edit: to address your comment that "no one needs more than 200k annually") You live in the United States the average income here is many times that of other countries. Why do you need a $30,000 per year income when there are so many others in other countries that live in shacks and quite literally live hand to mouth. Just having air conditioning and a refrigerator with food in it is a luxury much of the world could only dream of. It doesn't seem fair for you to have so much while so many others have so little... much less a pinball machine. After all, no one needs a pinball machine. Are all pinsiders "freaking hypocrites" that should give up our pinball machines because others have less than us?

Nations in Europe have very robust "benefits" because the United States does all the heavy military lifting and spending.

#131 1 year ago

n/m don't want to push people over the edge

#132 1 year ago

Why do you need a $30,000 per year income when there are so many others in other countries that live in shacks and quite literally live hand to mouth. Just having air conditioning and a refrigerator with food in it is a luxury much of the world could only dream of. It doesn't seem fair for you to have so much while so many others have so little... much less a pinball machine. After all, no one needs a pinball machine. Are all pinsiders "freaking hypocrites" that should give up our pinball machines because others have less than us?

Let's get everyone together at the same basic level of wealth, whatever that is, than we can talk about pinball machines. The inequity in this country continues to be the worst in the world. At least times are changing, and so is the tax code and wealth distribution. It gets more fair every year.

We just have to get this dipshit politicians to overpower their rich donors and get real change in place.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

hypocrites - all of them.

So Elon’s $11b in taxes is hypocritical?

You are right no one needs $200k. In fact millions of people in the US live on a fraction of that. Billions in the world live on less that 10% of that.

But all of the conveniences you have an most of the necessities you have were produced because someone wanted more than $200k.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The inequity in this country continues to be the worst in the world

You’ve never been to India or China have you.

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Let's get everyone together at the same basic level of wealth, whatever that is, than we can talk about pinball machines. The inequity in this country continues to be the worst in the world. At least times are changing, and so is the tax code and wealth distribution. It gets more fair every year.
    We just have to get this dipshit politicians to overpower their rich donors and get real change in place.

Yep... lets make everyone equally poor no matter how much or how little they work. Sounds like a recipe for sloth, misery, and starvation. Really makes me want to get up and make the world a better place. (sarcasm)

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

What has happened to this once great community? Remember the days where we banded together to make fun of overpriced machines on EBay?
    Look at us now… EBay is tearing us apart…

You're right. I miss the ebay of my youth. Lets get back on subject with the best synopsis of that world wide garage sale.

Edit: I present to you Weird Al's thoughts on the subject.

#136 1 year ago

Methos should give half of his pinballs to the local boys home.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Nations in Europe have very robust "benefits" because the United States does all the heavy military lifting and spending.

More like nations in Europe have robust benefits because they have higher taxes, and also because they lack the lobbyists and corruption our government has, so much of their taxes actually go to college education, infrastructure, healthcare, etc instead of being wasted.

The European system works well when people are honest and not terribly greedy.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

The European system works well when people are honest and not terribly greedy.

If you think European politicians are more honest than American ones.. I have a bridge to sell you!

They are all vipers who will sell you out in a second.

#139 1 year ago

If your kid ends up with a poor work ethic, I'm not sure I'd blame the government. Can we get some of the parenting experts from the Pinball Hall of Fame thread over here?

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

My time in the military also showed me how wasteful and...frankly...how much palm greasing is done when it comes to who decides where tax dollars go.

Wait. Is this guy saying that there is wasted money in the military sector? Does this mean that the military is maybe something we shouldn't just blindly throw money at cause' 'merica? Not sure the OP is going to like this brazen insult. But...this guy was also in the military...this is getting so complicated.

Well, at least the private sector funds the military, right? Oh, wait, taxes. But I don't want to pay taxes. But soldiers gotta get paid...but...wait...aghhhhh

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

If your kid ends up with a poor work ethic, I'm not sure I'd blame the government. Can we get some of the parenting experts from the Pinball Hall of Fame thread over here?

This is why parenting needs to be taken away from the parents, but that is another topic altogether.

Back to Ebay - just pay your fair share ok? Once physical $ is phased out, you won't have a choice as everything will be tracked and taxed. Might as well get used to it now.

#142 1 year ago

Wait. Is this guy saying that there is wasted money in the military sector? Not sure the OP is going to like this brazen insult.

O there is wasted money in the military sector, but not everywhere. I left the USMC in 2012. We still undid every other light bulb in the barracks and shop to save money on electricity... except for inspections. My communications equipment was mostly hand me down Army stuff. My radio shop in the South Pacific had no AC or running water. My Marines literally worked in their underwear.

At the same time, we had Steak and Lobster Fidays in theater. Bear in mind many of these people were being shot at but still. My company commander was relieved for cause. He streamed ESPN on a satellite the day before an exercise started and managed to rack up an almost $200,000 bill in a day. Bird time is not cheap.

I'm in the military industrial complex now. I see waste in the military industrial complex, but what I see is largely due to federally required bureaucracy. I never said that there was not waste in the military. I objectes to the statement that the military was a waste of money.

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

This is why parenting needs to be taken away from the parents, but that is another topic altogether.
    Back to Ebay - just pay your fair share ok? Once physical $ is phased out, you won't have a choice as everything will be tracked and taxed. Might as well get used to it now.

So you not only want to take my money and disenherit my kids, you want to confiscate my children now too? You are getting into troll territory now bud.

#144 1 year ago

Wait. Is this guy saying that there is wasted money in the military sector? Does this mean that the military is maybe something we shouldn't just blindly throw money at cause' 'merica? Not sure the OP is going to like this brazen insult. But...this guy was also in the military...this is getting so complicated.
    Well, at least the private sector funds the military, right? Oh, wait, taxes. But I don't want to pay taxes. But soldiers gotta get paid...but...wait...aghhhhh

I think everyone knows the military wastes money and it could be more smartly spent. Just like all public spending. That is NOT what Methos' comment was about.

#145 1 year ago

O there is wasted money in the military sector, but not everywhere. I left the USMC in 2012. We still undid every other light bulb in the barracks and shop to save money on electricity... except for inspections. My communications equipment was mostly hand me down Army stuff. My radio shop in the South Pacific had no AC or running water. My Marines literally worked in their underwear.
    At the same time, we had Steak and Lobster Fidays in theater. Bear in mind many of these people were being shot at but still. My company commander was relieved for cause. He streamed ESPN on a satellite the day before an exercise started and managed to rack up an almost $200,000 bill in a day. Bird time is not cheap.
    I'm in the military industrial complex now. I see waste in the military industrial complex, but what I see is largely due to federally required bureaucracy. I never said that there was not waste in the military. I objectes to the statement that the military was a waste of money.

So it seems like you've benefitted from a combination of hard work, industriousness, and the leg up that a tax payer funded military offers to those who serve. So I'm not sure why it seems like such a sacrifice to pay into the system from which you have personally benefitted. Yes, there is waste. No one is saying there isn't. And no one is saying that's a good thing. But if you've benefitted from the system we have, I'm not sure why you would balk at contributing your share.

Why deny others the opportunity to partake in the system that gave you the things it did, and that you served to protect? If you want things to be different, that's cool, work to change them. But in the meantime, you gotta play by rules, especially since it seems they funded the opportunities that helped get you where you are.

#146 1 year ago

So you not only want to take my money and disenherit my kids, you want to confiscate my children now too? You are getting into troll territory now bud.

Some impressive holes being dug indeed.

#147 1 year ago

In Before The Lock....

#148 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Since you apparently dont enjoy the capitalistic principles the USA was founded on, perhaps you should investigate relocating to Cuba. I'm sure you can find a nice little hut where you and all your neighbors can be equal and you wont have to worry about other peoples' relative success compared to you.

#149 1 year ago

So it seems like you've benefitted from a combination of hard work, industriousness, and the leg up that a tax payer funded military offers to those who serve. So I'm not sure why it seems like such a sacrifice to pay into the system from which you have personally benefitted. Yes, there is waste. No one is saying there isn't. And no one is saying that's a good thing. But if you've benefitted from the system we have, I'm not sure why you would balk at contributing your share.
    Why deny others the opportunity to partake in the system that gave you the things it did, and that you served to protect? If you want things to be different, that's cool, work to change them. But in the meantime, you gotta play by rules, especially since it seems they funded the opportunities that helped get you where you are.

Yeah... not gonna feel guilty for being born in America and working hard enough to afford a pinball machine. I never said I wasn't going to pay my taxes from the 1099. I said it makes it an administrative nightmare and will lead to me doing less online business and presumably lead to less entrepreneurship from others and to invest accordingly. I will never feel guilty for earning my living and sharing it with my family. You are the one making that case.

#150 1 year ago

I said it makes it an administrative nightmare

Yeah this is the problem, not tax itself. Forcing people to either track their hobbies like a business or pay extra taxes they shouldn't have to pay just sucks.

And remember, this is NOT a result of that recent legislation, this is basic tax code that's been around a while. Voting out Dems (or Reps) won't fix it, you have to get rid of people in BOTH parties and replace them with folks who are willing to work for you, instead of just enriching themselves.

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-ebay-sends-out-1099-tax-forms-now/page/3?hl=robnotto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.