(Topic ID: 67130)

So do any LEDs emulate the soft fading of incadescent bulbs?

By nosro

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I know of the LED OCD solution, but from what I can gather, no LED (not even NoFlix and OptiFlux) has yet recreated any of the soft on-off fading of incandescent bulbs. It's the single thing that bothers me most about LED's when installed in modern machines (such as WPC) that tend to blink inserts during gameplay.

Am I missing something?

#2 10 years ago

It is basically impossible to do on the bulb level or it would have been done a long time ago. LED OCD is the solution for insert lights. Sticking to real bulbs is the solution for GI lighting.

#3 10 years ago

i just recently installed LED OCD on my STTNG and it is .... amazing. night and day. the sharpness of LEDs, any arbitrary brightness i desire, and whatever fade level i want -- all configurable on a per-bulb basis. also no strobing or ghosting. great product.

#4 10 years ago

I will never use LEDs specifically because they look harsh and have a strobe like appearance rather than a warm glow.

#5 10 years ago

This is of course in the basis: people designed a lampmatrix which is controlled the way a bulb works: a slow glowing thing which heats up by current and produces light.
    Then someone puts in a led, which works in a different way. Much faster, and with a minimum voltage. That works more or less, but it has some problems (ghosting / flickering). The problems are caused by the way of controlling (which is designed for a bulb, but must control a LED). So the way of controlling is the issue, not the leds themselves.

I don't know LED OCD, but what I read on their site it is a complete new way of controlling the leds, based on information as the game tries to control the matrix. If they control it in a good way it probably works perfectly. They are controlling leds the way leds should be controlled.

Now the next mod is doing the same for the GI. 3 or 5 triacs now control the GI, so the signal from the triacs can be evaluated by a microprocessor and then the MOSFETs can be controlled.

That would be a quite simple thing to do: read the AC waveform on the lightbulb as analog input on an Arduino (or so), then control a DAC placing voltage on the gate of the MOSFETs by the logic. Or something doing with a pulsed DC which works for bulbs as well as leds.

LED OCD GI perhaps?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-do-any-leds-emulate-the-soft-fading-of-incadescent-bulbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.