(Topic ID: 194191)

So apparently Funhouse can pull $5k+ in bad shape now??

By sohchx

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by sohchx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

How is this even possible? Can someone truly be this desperate to obtain one of these, even in this condition?

ebay.com link: Williams Funhouse Pinball Machine Great Condition Fun To Play Collector Item

#2 6 years ago

It's killing me seeing these go for that high in such a bad shape. I'm locked at $4500 max and it had better be in excellent shape for that

#3 6 years ago

Dont get it, Funhouse about 2500 the norm for so long. Fast forward 2016, now year later, over 4k and growing...
    Fun pin, but not that fun. Ive completed the game and achiebed every goal just at a show in 20 min. Game is a bit easy in my opinion,
    5k better spent towards A list game.

#4 6 years ago

I had one the nicest restored fh ever . It was loaded with lots of mods and i didn't pay that much . This was in the past year or so . If people are lazy and dont do research then its their fault for overpaying. Pinside/ebay is one of the highest priced places since ive been in the hobby . I have never payed no where near what most due these days bc i research and am willing to wait for a fair dea.l Fh is a ok game but not super great and sld be around 3-4k in decent working condition.

#5 6 years ago

They're not making any more of these games;way more people are getting in and getting "it". Glad to see, more
    People to play!

#6 6 years ago

The price can only be as high as 1 person is willing to pay.

#7 6 years ago

$5K seems really cheap for a Funhouse. One of the best games ever with an amazing gimmick. I'm sure the price will continue to rise on it.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Dont get it, Funhouse about 2500 the norm for so long. Fast forward 2016, now year later, over 4k and growing...
    Fun pin, but not that fun. Ive completed the game and achiebed every goal just at a show in 20 min. Game is a bit easy in my opinion,
    5k better spent towards A list game.

A decent Funhouse has been a $3000 pin for the past 10 years. Simple, yet keeps you coming back for more.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

$5K seems really cheap for a nice Funhouse. One of the best games ever with an amazing gimmick. I'm sure the price will continue to rise on it.

So sad, because they arent worth it.
    What drives me crazy is everones interpetation of nice, restored, hep...versus mildly shopped looking good for resale. A fully restored FH should have all new boards, chrome or new armor package, no fade or new decals, custom led work, no insert or playfield wear. Rudy rebuilt with the new metal gears, clean restored rudy head. Its a long list.
    Very few do all this work.
    Over past year with FH over 4k, its mostly a cash grab market selling on hype and rarity.
    Sorry, snoring Rudy in my game room only worth 3k, ill spend the 1000-1500 to customize it and clean it up.
    I walked away from one 6 mo ago, he completely wasted my time and driving.
    I laughed out load when he told me,
    "I did my research on pinside"
    But you didnt do any of the work to demand that price!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

They're not making any more of these games;way more people are getting in and getting "it". Glad to see, more
    People to play!

They will end up remaking it at these prices......

#11 6 years ago

So sad, because they arent worth it.

There's nothing "sad" about it. It's pinball. There's lots of sad things going in the world but Funhouses going up in price (just like EVERY OTHER 90s game ever made) isn't one of them.

They are worth it. It's a great game with a never-to-be-reproduced gimmick. Well it was once with Roadshow but let's face it FH is way cooler.

You've been in pinball forever, you should be used to this by now. Demo Man and Judge Dredd used to go for 900 bucks now they are 2500 games, and Funhouse has ALWAYS been worth twice as much as those titles. So do the math.

It ain't a big deal, nobody is forcing you to buy a Funhouse. But for a guy who keeps dissing funhouse and thinks it's a ripoff you sure seem to want one. I wonder why that is...because it's awesome maybe?

#12 6 years ago

A fully restored FH should have all new boards, chrome or new armor package, no fade or new decals, custom led work, no insert or playfield wear. Rudy rebuilt with the new metal gears, clean restored rudy head. Its a long list.

To each his own. While I agree the FH shown in the pictures is not quite a $5.5k game, some of the things you list are not a requirement of a FH that commands a higher price. To me, (and this is probably true to others as well), the more original the game is the more I'd be willing to pay. New boards and cabinet decals I would walk away from in a heartbeat. Chromed or powder coated rails, lockdown, etc., I'd have to deduct from as that would all have to be changed back. I do agree with the playfield wear and everything rebuilt and cleaned though. Interestingly, I did notice a post missing to the left of Rudy in the first picture then it magically appears installed in another picture.

#13 6 years ago

It's not really *that* good of a game to be charging $5k.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I guess..but I mean, it will be, right? If current trends continue, so what's the difference.

Every time I get a lowball on my Addams or Funhouse I just think, whatever, sit tight. These are a couple of the coolest, most popular games ever and if they ain't "worth" X today, they will be in two years.

That's exactly what I told a guy who I sold a gorgeous T2 to a couple years ago. He was whining that my asking price was $200 too high and I was like, come on man, in a couple years ago this will seem like a bargain. Saw him at Pintastic, reminded him of that, and he said I was absolutely right! (he did buy it, still has it, and told me it turned out to be a great deal)

Just doesn't make any sense to sell these games for "cheap" or even "fair" these days. Hard to swallow but it's true. We've all been on both sides when it comes to a desireable game.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thank you. Voice of reasoning.

#16 6 years ago

I walked away from one 6 mo ago, he completely wasted my time and driving.
    I laughed out load when he told me,
    "I did my research on pinside"
    But you didnt do any of the work to demand that price!

o so u mad

Get out of here with that "all new boards crap".

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

o so u mad
    Get out of here with that "all new boards crap".

It certainly doesnt hurt to take these 25 year plus games and put in all new rottendog boards. Sure makes a pin reliable and closer to bullet proofing.

#18 6 years ago

It certainly doesnt hurt to take these 25 year plus games and put in all new rottendog boards. Sure makes a pin reliable and closer to bullet proofing.

False. Rottendog boards are not better than originals.

#19 6 years ago

I think that Monopoly for 4700 is a better deal

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

False. Rottendog boards are not better than originals.

Ok, im going to agree, half heartedly...
    But, ive seen so many beyond repair, yes they can be fixed, original boards burnt and hacked it was better to get new than chase burnt leds on old original boards.

#21 6 years ago

Funhouse is a cool game, but not $5K cool. IMHO. The game always felt like a System 11 game to me rule-wise, and for my money, Whirlwind is a game that plays just as well.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

They will end up remaking it at these prices......

In 2020, when the demand has lowered

#23 6 years ago

Ok, im going to agree, half heartedly...
    But, ive seen so many beyond repair, yes they can be fixed, original boards burnt and hacked it was better to get new than chase burnt leds on old original boards.

Sure, better than a toast board. But I - and many others - have had problems with Rottendog boards. Don't get Steve Young started on them...

#24 6 years ago

I think were judging funhouse in general.
    They point op was making is that this one on ebay is not worth over 5k.
    Its not, 3500 maybe, then let the bidding judge demand.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sure, better than a toast board. But I - and many others - have had problems with Rottendog boards. Don't get Steve Young started on them...

Ummm....you bet. Been a little dissapointed on rottendog power driver boards for sure!!
    I have 3 in last 2 years i had to send back or repair. Recently had one show up and 2 caps popped off board.

#26 6 years ago

The higher prices on NIB games are clearly causing more demand and increased prices for the lesser priced highly rated older games.

There are a lot of people with small to medium sized collections that don't want to tie up $8000 to $9000 each on several new games where the prices are likely to drop in the first year or two when many of the classics are around $3000 to $6000 and are not likely to lose much if any value.

#27 6 years ago

I couldn't disagree with you more. 25 year old boards, built for and used in commercial environments, are time tested and proven to work just fine in the relatively easy home environments they usually end up in these days. I'm not including boards with bad repairs or heavy corrosion.

Replacing a proven board with a new, redesigned one is a crapshoot. I've had many aftermarket boards develop issues after a year or less. I'd rather repair an original board with widely available (mostly through-hole) components and documentation/experience to draw from than try to figure out which newly designed circuit or SMT component (or as I call it, throwaway technology) has failed while being at the mercy of the manufacturer for help.

#28 6 years ago

I wouldn't trust ANY fleabay sale as "being the norm " - not for a second.

#29 6 years ago

I think most people would agree they would rather have original boards. One thing nice I can say about Rottendog is they fixed the av board in my Congo even though I was not the original purchaser of the board. It took a while but did it for free. I later put in a Rottendog mpu when my original died and was unrepairable. I did have some issues getting it working but think that was related to other issues. Overall, it's nice having the option to just buy these boards to get a game running.

#30 6 years ago

I'll never understand why people get so bent out of shape over prices. Lots of other people buying pins, some value games differently for various reasons (nostalgia, condition, preferences, location, whatever). Besides if I'm picking between playing a Funhouse or a newer ($5kish) Stern like Games of Thrones I'll pick Funhouse every time, and I don't even like Rudy.

#31 6 years ago

I paid 3200.00 for mine. Its in pretty good shape. FH is one of those pins.....that pricing is just all over the place. I wouldnt pay 5k for one......especially not off of Ebay. Expect to pay a little more for a nice one.....there's a ton of them out there...that are beat to shit...

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

I paid 3200.00 for mine. Its in pretty good shape. FH is one of those pins.....that pricing is just all over the place. I wouldnt pay 5k for one......especially not off of Ebay. Expect to pay a little more for a nice one.....there's a ton of them out there...that are beat to shit...

There are almost none for sale around me - if somebody wants a game, they may be willing to pay more for it. High demand, restricted supply

#33 6 years ago

There is one on craigslist by us for a few months for $4600. Has a wooden coin door with a credit button. It's a good game but would rather have a new Stern pro at that price.

#34 6 years ago

The problem is not the prices. The problem is collectors have dictated the prices.
    " If you want ____ you have to pay ____."
    That's what pissed so many MM owners off.
    They were part of an elite club. For a high priced semi hard to find for sale game. Then the remake happened. Now they are are just part of a club. Because anyone can own a new one now.

Is BBB a $15,000-$25,000 game? Hell no. But if you want to be part of that collector "club" you gotta pay somewhere close to that.

Don't blame inflation or anything else. It's the collectors that have dictated the prices.
    Same as the classic arcade and video game hobbies. If you want to be part of the group of elite owners of in demand, rare or classic titles you gotta pay.

The other problem is that if collectors did sell pins for the prices they used to sell at. We would have more people flipping them to make a profit.
    Greed and need. Dictates prices on everything.

#35 6 years ago

I think is just an outlier. I've seen a few sell locally (New England) from $2,500 - $3,500 in decent to great shape. This game probably sold to a non pinball person. I bet it was their first game and they really like funhouse as a kid. This is most likely the same reason why someone bought a heavily routed south park for 7k on Ebay awhile ago.

#36 6 years ago

If you are looking for the greater fool, eBay is the place to find it. All markets are fleeting.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

There is one on craigslist by us for a few months for $4600. Has a wooden coin door with a credit button. It's a good game but would rather have a new Stern pro at that price.

That funhouse is a legend! I've seen it in at least four threads so far. All threads were making fun of it of course.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

HA!! I think that machine is famous now, both here and on Facebook.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-apparently-funhouse-can-pull-5k-in-bad-shape-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.