• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

77E880D3-F82E-4A20-B686-83BCB209559A (resized).png
ED2A23E0-16DE-40AE-BEA6-6696EE67D859 (resized).png
8A4DF486-38BF-4A54-84BE-A995B9C22EAF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 4 years ago

Naphtha, naphtha, naphtha. Sorry, spelling police here. No one ever spells it right.
That being said, forget about that, and use 91% rubbing alcohol and gauze pads or
cheesecloth. If you have some really ground in dirt or swirl marks, use melamine foam
pads (like Magic Eraser) along with the alcohol. Rub gently, as excessive use can get through
the paint and into the wood. The fumes from the alcohol are not nearly as bad as those from
Naphtha, and it's probably cheaper as well. Keep wiping the playfield down with the alcohol, until
it's totally clean and free of dissolved wax residue. Then use Novus 2, followed by a good carnauba
wax, like Mother's (in the bright red tin). Your playfield will gleam.
"Hi-Lo Ace" is a fun game, but dirty, non-working and with a broken backglass, it's probably like a $150
game. Unfortunately, that backglass was not reproduced by any of the major players, but you could
go with a BG Resto copy (bgresto.com). I'm not sure if they have the art file for that glass, so you may
need to send them yours in order for them to make a repro.

#21 4 years ago

I've seen a couple of them for sale at shows. There was a pretty decent one that went dirt cheap at the one and only Ohio show I ever attended (the one in Niles a few years ago). There was a very nice one for free play and sale at the York show a couple of years ago.
Compare the playfield layout to Gottlieb's "Bank A Ball"/"Flipper Pool". There's a fourth bumper on "Hi-Lo Ace", but otherwise they're very similar.

2 weeks later
#28 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBfromNC:

It’s great what a wire brush and can of paint can do for my cabinet parts!![quoted image][quoted image]

That's a very sound strategy for a player's quality game that you want to clean up, and make presentable.
I can tell you have a healthy passion for this game, being your first EM. It won't be long before you bring in another, then another......

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Beware: using alcohol with or without magic eraser will remove all or most of what remains of your clearcoat. Yes, it’ll be clean but the paint will be more vulnerable to wear. I usually don’t use any solvents other than naphtha on playfields (especially older ones like yours) unless I am planning on redoing the clear.

Why would alcohol affect the clear and not the colored layers below? If what you're saying is true, the clear is what's holding much of the dirt, being that it's the upper layer. If it's dirty, and likely compromised to begin with (I don't think it's very thick), it's probably better to remove it, and protect the remaining artwork with several coats of wax and a new ball. For home use, this should preserve the playing surface indefinitely, as long as it's waxed periodically.

#32 4 years ago

Something to consider then. I would guess then, that using an abrasive such as a Magic Eraser with anything as a wetting agent would also remove any remaining clearcoat, correct?
I have used naphtha (Coleman fuel), and even charcoal lighter fluid to clean playfields, but it usually doesn't get the surface very clean.
I try to tailor my approach to the type of schmutz on the playfield, the condition of the surface, etc.
The least aggressive method is always the way to go, but as you've said, it all depends how clean you want it to be versus long term durability.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-all-i-need-is-naphtha-and-a-rag?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.