Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Eightball88
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8A4DF486-38BF-4A54-84BE-A995B9C22EAF (resized).jpeg

#1 10 days ago

Hey y'all, I've been lurking here on Pinside for a few weeks and finally found my first EM yesterday. I guy down the road sold me a '73 Bally Hi Lo Ace for a little over $300. It seems to work fairly well, but there are a few small problems. First, the playfield is dirty as all getout. So I've been searching here (and YouTube) for effective ways to clean these old playfields without scrubbing the paint off. There are already several bare spots in the paint from normal usage I guess. And the lights behind the back glass don't work. So I figured I'd try to replace all the fuses to be sure that wasn't the issue.

Oh, and speaking of the back glass, it's got a huge crack smack down the middle of it. I guess I'll be in the market for a replacement if anybody sells those anymore. Other stuff like getting a new rubber set for it, replacing the bumper top plastic pieces, coin door replacement, etc will be on my agenda as well. But with the dozens of videos on YouTube with these guys showing everyone how to clean the playfield "the right way", how do I know what advice to trust? I've seen a few folks suggesting Naphtha so I'm sure I could find a quart of that if it's safe for me to try it.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 10 days ago

Welcome from down South. Yep. Naptha evaporates quickly and shouldn't hurt to paint. Get it clean wax it and you should be good to go.

#3 10 days ago

Naptha, a rag, and a RESPIRATOR!

Added 9 days ago:

NAHPTHA, corrected for the spelling police!

#4 10 days ago

Guessing bad bulbs might be more likely than fuses re: the lights. I recently picked up an old Duotron game (my first) and needed to replace a lot of bulbs.

And a lot of times the socket itself is wonky and needs some attention.

Congrats on the new game!

#5 10 days ago
Quoted from JudeRussell:

Guessing bad bulbs might be more likely than fuses re: the lights. I recently picked up an old Duotron game (my first) and needed to replace a lot of bulbs.
And a lot of times the socket itself is wonky and needs some attention.
Congrats on the new game!

Thanks, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy playing it. But yeah, about the bulbs. I couldn't really find any info on exactly what bulbs I need to purchase to try to replace some / all of them.

#6 10 days ago

A 1 inch foam brush and a shop vac does wonders as a first step before solvent cleaning,I use Coleman fuel.

#7 10 days ago

For bulbs, the machine originally used #44’s. Most of us use #47’s as they run cooler, but are slightly less bright. All of the suppliers that you would get rubbers from will carry them.

#8 10 days ago

If naptha doesn't get the dirt out, try novus 2. I've never seen naptha do much actual cleaning beyond surface dust and old wax

#9 10 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A 1 inch foam brush and a shop vac does wonders as a first step before solvent cleaning,I use Coleman fuel.

Yes, my first step will be with the aforementioned shop vac. Thanks.

#10 10 days ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

For bulbs, the machine originally used #44’s. Most of us use #47’s as they run cooler, but are slightly less bright. All of the suppliers that you would get rubbers from will carry them.

Thanks. Just ordered a set of #47 bulbs. I'll try them out. I just downloaded the 1976 Bally parts manual and saw the bulbs listed near the end of the book. I must admit I'm slightly confused by the listings though. I understand they call for No. 44 and No. 55 lamps but the first listing is called "Flasher" and just gives a part number of E-125-44. I cannot seem to locate that Bally part for sale anywhere. Should I even worry about it yet? I figured the #44s or the #55s would just simply flash on and off as part of their normal operation while the game is turned on.

#11 10 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If naptha doesn't get the dirt out, try novus 2. I've never seen naptha do much actual cleaning beyond surface dust and old wax

Yes, I've read several posts here about the wonders of Novus 1, 2 and 3. And yes, I know not to try Novus 3 on anything unless I'm slightly suicidal with my playfield. If the Naphtha doesn't work, it'll be my next step up.

#12 9 days ago
Quoted from MrBfromNC:

There are already several bare spots in the paint from normal usage I guess.

You probably know this but throw the old pinball directly in the trash. Buy a few new ones immediately.

#13 9 days ago

The #555 flasher bulbs are only used in a couple of places on the backglass. The on/off is just to attract attention to the game. I no longer own the game, so can’t speak to how many the game uses. Not having them does not affect game play, they are just cosmetic/to attract attention.

#14 9 days ago

Naphtha, naphtha, naphtha. Sorry, spelling police here. No one ever spells it right.
That being said, forget about that, and use 91% rubbing alcohol and gauze pads or
cheesecloth. If you have some really ground in dirt or swirl marks, use melamine foam
pads (like Magic Eraser) along with the alcohol. Rub gently, as excessive use can get through
the paint and into the wood. The fumes from the alcohol are not nearly as bad as those from
Naphtha, and it's probably cheaper as well. Keep wiping the playfield down with the alcohol, until
it's totally clean and free of dissolved wax residue. Then use Novus 2, followed by a good carnauba
wax, like Mother's (in the bright red tin). Your playfield will gleam.
"Hi-Lo Ace" is a fun game, but dirty, non-working and with a broken backglass, it's probably like a $150
game. Unfortunately, that backglass was not reproduced by any of the major players, but you could
go with a BG Resto copy (bgresto.com). I'm not sure if they have the art file for that glass, so you may
need to send them yours in order for them to make a repro.

#15 9 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

use 91% rubbing alcohol and gauze pads or
cheesecloth

I’ve had success using the 91% alcohol and a microfiber cloth. I made up for the lack of texture by rubbing harder, and it seemed to get a lot of the grime up. I also suggest using the alcohol alone first even if you plan to use a magic eraser. That way most of the surface grime is gone so the magic eraser doesn’t end up just pushing it around.

#16 9 days ago

I gave up looking for decent Hi Lo Ace, couldn’t find one with a nice playfield. Do they exist?

#17 9 days ago

Hi-Lo Ace uses #455 flasher lamps.

#18 9 days ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

I'd start here and work your way through a few more of Vid's guides (just search the pinside forum for "vids guides"). A lot of good info is in them (especially the changing the line cord one).

Welcome to the hobby especially on the EM side.

#19 9 days ago
Quoted from MrBfromNC:

So I figured I'd try to replace all the fuses to be sure that wasn't the issue.

Get an inexpensive volt meter and watch a youtube video on how to test a fuse. The volt meter will come in handy to troubleshoot many things.

#20 9 days ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I gave up looking for decent Hi Lo Ace, couldn’t find one with a nice playfield. Do they exist?

I have one in the queue for repair. Playfield is roached! Backglass is nice. I am going to clean it up and make it a player's machine.

I saw one on Craigslist in California that had a decent playfield recently. Way better than mine, probably far from perfect.

#21 9 days ago

I've seen a couple of them for sale at shows. There was a pretty decent one that went dirt cheap at the one and only Ohio show I ever attended (the one in Niles a few years ago). There was a very nice one for free play and sale at the York show a couple of years ago.
Compare the playfield layout to Gottlieb's "Bank A Ball"/"Flipper Pool". There's a fourth bumper on "Hi-Lo Ace", but otherwise they're very similar.

#22 9 days ago

All good advice. Thanks again y’all. I’ve seen one of Vid’s guides already so I’ll go search for more. I definitely need to replace the power cord, ball, fuse holder/bracket thingee, and backglass. Oh well, I’ve never been scared of a good challenge.

I was able to get it powered on, start a game and play for a few minutes. Three of the four mushroom bumper work, so I guess that’s not too horrible. Although a couple bulbs are burnt up. Plastic overlay pieces look brand new! All the little red targets work, flippers work weakly but consistently, but no lights work behind backglass either. I’ve got more trouble shooting reading and videos to watch, for sure.

8A4DF486-38BF-4A54-84BE-A995B9C22EAF (resized).jpeg
#23 9 days ago
Quoted from MrBfromNC:

I definitely need to replace the power cord, ball, fuse holder/bracket thingee

You can see in the photo, the second fuse from the left is blown, and an automotive fuse was wired to it, and that fuse is blown too.

#24 8 days ago

Omg Jenn has NEVER seen anything like that ever..Seems a little scary and time consuming...Those little circuit breakers work really well for troubleshooting and save a fortune on blown fuses.

#25 8 days ago

Sorry, wrong thread. I was looking for ideas for an insurance job

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 21.00
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 12.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 30.00
Various Novelties
Game Room Info Shop
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 149.00
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside