You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gorgar89s.JPG
IMG_20110820_191646.jpg
IMG_20110820_191510.jpg
IMG_20110820_191503.jpg
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 12 years ago

Not a big deal to me personally on a players level machine. I don't drop quarters into my machines.

I think what he means is "if you replaced the coin mech, it would work fine with quarters. But why do you want to do that?"

I don't know that particular machine, but it's common from that era to not have a "free play" option. Easy work around if you want, so it's not a big deal.

But just to clarify, there should be a "start" button on the front of the machine. If that is missing somehow, you need to see why. But if we are just talking about adding credits to the machine - the lack of a coin mech wouldn't be a make/break decision in my mind.

#52 12 years ago

Thanks Examiner.

So basically I would be keeping the coin door open, and tripping a switch with my fingers to get it to play then?

As for the start button, isn't that what you have to hit after putting in your credit to start the game? If that's missing i'm in trouble .

I'm calling him again to clarify. I'll get back to you. THank SO much for this help.

Check this out http://www.gamefaqs.com/pinball/936286-gorgar/answers?qid=13350

This seems to say that gorgar does have a free play option.

#53 12 years ago

Well don't mention the fact that gorgar should have a free play option to him! Maybe he doesn't know - You're getting $50 off to get a coin mech

#54 12 years ago

Was just thinking that DrAzzy. haha.

I think i'm just confused about the whole thing.

#55 12 years ago

So the way it would work would be open door, hit switch, then push the start button?

(that is if I can't set it to free play)

#56 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

This seems to say that gorgar does have a free play option.

you are correct then.

(for reference, if no free play option - you just open the door, add a bunch of credits to the machine, close the door and hit start. Lots of people will set the "free game replay" level very low so you always win a free game no matter how much you suck. That way, for every game you play, you win a free play and the issue of adding credits becomes moot. There's other ways - like a switch - but that's one way)

So, either the owner doesn't know about the free play option - or the battery is shot and the machine isn't holding it's settings. I guess you'll need to make that determination.

If it's not holding settings in memory, it could be a very easy fix(change the batteries) or it could be the start of something very bad (mpu corrosion).

Hopefully his video will include footage from power up through gameplay. During attract mode, check the high score tables. If they are showing round #'s (like 500,000), I'd suspect battery issues. If they are showing what looks like real scores, most likely the battery memory is working.

or maybe he just doesn't know how to set it to free play. Seems unlikely though.....

#57 12 years ago

In the mean time the seller is reading this entire thread giggling his ass off!

#58 12 years ago
Quoted from jrrdw:

In the mean time the seller is reading this entire thread giggling his ass off!

most likely!

#59 12 years ago

The manual i downloaded does indeed indicate a free play mode. SO, he MUST not know about free play mode. He seems to know about pinball machines though, so that's confusing.

For $550 it's a good deal.

#60 12 years ago

Blackbeard, if the coin door is just missing the mechanical inserts to accept and direct coins and you really want one I have a whole coin box full of them and you are welcome to have one. I don't have any use for them and when I sell Pins most people don't want them or the coin boxes so they just start to pile up here. Anyway, just let me know.

#61 12 years ago

Thanks JW.

I guess i'm just concerned that I have to leave the door open all the time to play. I really think the owner doesn't know about the free play option.

Ideally I'd like to set it to free play, shut the door and just hit the start (credit) button and go.

#62 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

he MUST not know about free play mode.

bad assumption BB. If there are battery issues, you will not be able to keep the machine in free play mode.

You will be able to go into the settings and put it into free play - but as soon as you turn the machine off, those settings will be lost.

And maybe this is all starting to make sense....when he talks about going into the inside of the coin door and pushing some buttons to get it started.

If he actually has to go inside the door to push some buttons to get the machine to start - it probably means it's booting to audit mode. And this likely means you've got RAM or battery problems.

Try to see a video from power up to game start. The machine should boot directly to attract mode. If it doesn't - I'd be extremely cautious even at $550.

#63 12 years ago

ok. Maybe i'll ask about whether there are any battery issues. I just don't think he's that sophisticated with pins.

#64 12 years ago

And for the record, what is audit mode?

I know attract mode is where all the lights are going off...

#65 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Maybe i'll ask about whether there are any battery issues. I just don't think he's that sophisticated with pins.

I'd sure check. Battery corrosion is the #1 problem with these early SS pins. It's not something that sometimes happens - it's something that usually happens.

Well, you've got a few things to think about. If he sends you a video, post it up for us to look at.

And just remember, as a seller, "acting dumb" can be a pretty effective sales strategy........

#66 12 years ago

Really great advice examiner.

I"m leaving work now.. and calling him. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks everyone for such awesome help AND PATIENCE with such a newbie.

#67 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

what is audit mode?

basically the game settings and other stuff that is adjustable using the buttons inside the coin door. Settings for things like free play mode (!), free game levels, difficulty settings, etc. etc.

You access "audit mode" by pushing some buttons inside the door - different things show up on the screen to indicate what setting you are currently tinkering with or reviewing.

So to review, a battery damaged MPU may cause the machine to boot into audit mode instead of attract mode. That would be a bad thing.

#68 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I"m leaving work now

Ha! me too. no wonder our economy is in such a mess.

good luck, let us know.

#69 12 years ago

Talked w seller. Might be battery issue as he says he hasn't changed them in a long time. Ill inspect this area. If batteries are dead, this may be why it doesn't get into free play...or at least stays in.

Side note: got package from Marco w goodies. Hopefully pin works out in am.

#70 12 years ago

Yeah, it looks like you Gotta Go play It. And after you start the machine, you should be able to close the coin door. There's no reason to leave it open!...right guys?

#71 12 years ago

Driving home w pin. Only issue was you have to press a button inside door for ball release. Hopefully I can get it to go by hitting credi?t button. Thoughts

#72 12 years ago

BB post pics of the button you're pressing for ball release. The group here should be able to help get it running properly.

#73 12 years ago

Its the first of the three inside door. You have to trigger credits w finger then hold that button. Driving right now

#74 12 years ago

GUYS!!! Got GOrgar set up at home, unfortunitely in the garage right now... BUT, i pulled the old CORRODED batteries, replaced with new, and wala! FREE PLAY MODE WORKS! I don't have to hit credit switches inside the machine etc.

The guy I bought from must've been clueless about the batteries.

Machine, cosmetically is really nice. Backglass MINT. Displays may need to be replaced, as they don't display the bottom of the numbers (like bottom quarter of the number).

I cycled thru the solenoids as per the manual, and they all seem to fire.
I'm SUPER pumped! $550!!!

Needs a good cleaning though. BUt it works great!!!! Thanks for everyones help on here. I will post some pics soon. I can't believe i figured out how to get it to free play etc. (sorry, newbie excitement)

#75 12 years ago

oh and the battery compartment wasn't really damaged by the old batteries.

#76 12 years ago

Do ALL the displays not work properly...or just one? Yeah, let's see some pix!

#77 12 years ago

Sounds like a great 1st pin
now i'm having second thoughts about selling mine
Gorgar Speaks

#78 12 years ago

For whatever reason i can't post the pics on my phone.

All displays seems to cut off the bottom portion of the numbers. I may need to spend the money and get some LED replacements? But is that the problem, or is it something more, like in the computer boards?

#79 12 years ago

I'm pretty new as well, but if it's the same problem on all the displays, doesn't that mean it's something else? .......

#80 12 years ago

New Pinscore displays will set you back 2 hundy. If it's a problem with all the displays I'd try reseating all the connectors from the displays to the display board and then the display board to the cpu before dropping any cash.

#81 12 years ago

Ill try the connections again tomorrow.

One of the jet numbers doesn't blink like the other two but just stays on.

I wish my cell would let me post some pics of my $550 find.

IMG_20110820_191503.jpgIMG_20110820_191503.jpg

#82 12 years ago

I guess it just did.

IMG_20110820_191510.jpgIMG_20110820_191510.jpg

#83 12 years ago

Sweet sweet Gorgar. Looks awesome.

#84 12 years ago

Thanks. First pin.

#86 12 years ago

Thanks. First pin.

IMG_20110820_191646.jpgIMG_20110820_191646.jpg

#87 12 years ago

SO my first two things I see wrong are the:

1. Displays. You can see in the pics that the actual displays seem to be positioned lower than the glass. I tried fiddling with it to no avail.

2. Jet bumper. One of these doesn't blink like the other two do, but just stays on. THoughts?

All in all, i can't believe I got this for 550. I think the guy that owned it didn't really know how to set it etc cause he would trigger the mech inside the door to up the credits.. then hit one of the three buttons inside to get the ball to kick out to the plunger. I installed new batteries, set the free play option, and it was all good.

#88 12 years ago

check that the backglass is all the way in the channel and there's nothing *in* the channel.. which would make the glass sit higher up. Simple things first, right?

If that isn't it, check if the hinge on the door can be adjusted up/down and if so, just move it up.

#89 12 years ago

I thought maybe there was something obstructing the channel. I'll check in the am.

Super pumped though. I have a machine I can learn and work on and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

#90 12 years ago

Glad you snatched it up, what a great find! Do you realize how difficult it is to find a backglass in that type of condition? Cheers to your first machine! I know it's a crash course for you but it's also a stellar start to your collection!

#91 12 years ago

Thanks. I am stoked on the condition of the backglass. It does look nice.

I was gonna put the pin up in the partially finished atttic, but it's really hot and kinda humid up there, and thought the garage may be a safer place.

#92 12 years ago

Did anyone notice that Gorgar, a pin with the devil and hellfire, is placed right next to the firewood?

I've played the Future Pinball version of Gorgar, it's a great pin and a great first purchase.
Good Job Blackbeard!

Are you in NC?

I've seen 2 Gorgar's recently on CL that near my area in NC.

#97 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

All in all, i can't believe I got this for 550. I think the guy that owned it didn't really know how to set it etc cause he would trigger the mech inside the door to up the credits.. then hit one of the three buttons inside to get the ball to kick out to the plunger. I installed new batteries, set the free play option, and it was all good.

That sounds like it was a great deal Blackbeard! Congrats. Even if there is only minor hardware issues to deal with (agree on checking the backglass is in the channel) starting from a known working condition goes along way early on. From here its just maintenance (btw, you can polish too much), troubleshooting what comes up, and upgrading what you want and can afford (bulbs, plastics) - or start hunting for the next.

#98 12 years ago

Glad it worked out for you, it looks real nice. I think you got a good deal.

Good move to get the old batteries out of there. Inspect the holder carefully for any of that blue-green haze. It looks like a nice machine - you don't want the cpu to corrode away. If there is *any* evidence of haze/corrosion, you really should clean it up. It will continue to eat away at the battery holder and other components even though you have replaced the batteries.

The pop bumper light - possibly the associated transistor on the board is shorted closed (assuming it's not just normal lighting function).

Congrats!

#99 12 years ago

congrats on a great pick up...enjoy it.

#100 12 years ago

Yeah! It looks great! The displays look fine. The way they seem to be cut off like that...it looks like you just need to move the glass. You should be good!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-after-i-get-gorgar-home/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.