3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4150 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4149 (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

New member and new poster. Getting into my Big Hurt went from a lamp check to testing to my first attempt to remove and clean play field.

1. Looking for best way to remove various rails in picture, don't want to mess up my play field

2. I guess while I'm here I will also ask, in removing items a couple posts broke(in the grips) and a couple grips were stripped. Wondering what is best way to deal with both items. Not sure of best way to repair stripped cams.

This site is great site. I just found a coupe days ago and have been down a couple rabbit holes already!

Thanks for your help

IMG_4149 (resized).JPGIMG_4149 (resized).JPG
    #2 3 years ago
    Quoted from jim3394:

New member and new poster. Getting into my Big Hurt went from a lamp check to testing to my first attempt to remove and clean play field.
    1. Looking for best way to remove various rails in picture, don't want to mess up my play field
    2. I guess while I'm here I will also ask, in removing items a couple posts broke(in the grips) and a couple grips were stripped. Wondering what is best way to deal with both items. Not sure of best way to repair stripped cams.
    This site is great site. I just found a coupe days ago and have been down a couple rabbit holes already!
    Thanks for your help[quoted image]

Try to best describe. On the broke screws shown, I would suspect there is a blind nut hammered into the back side. I would just take a straight punch to the head of the broke screw (topside) and tap them out. Replace the blind nut available at most any hardware store and done. For the rails, a block of wood and flat blade (or screw driver) pry up Slowly a little at a time from both sides back and forth till they pop out. Always leverage from your scrap wood block. Have removed many of these with little issue you just need to go slow. Good luck.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from jim3394:

...to my first attempt to remove and clean play field.

Ok these things may be at odds with each other.

1. Do you really need to remove the guides? Are you just cleaning the machine? You don;t need to remove the guides for that
    2. Why do you need to remove the guides? Removing the guides, eXpecially the biff-bars, is really not a good idea unless you're planning on going whole hog and clear coating the thing when you're done.
    3. Do you really need to remove the guides? You could end up pulling up paint & playfield chunks like that.

Quoted from jim3394:

Not sure of best way to repair stripped cams.

OK so let me try to figure out what you mean. Do you mean you where trying to get a screw off the playfield and the screw broke?
    Is it a machine or wood screw? is the screw still sticking out of the wood or is it below the wood?
    Pictures might help us help you

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:1. Do you really need to remove the guides? Are you just cleaning the machine? You don;t need to remove the guides for that
    2. Why do you need to remove the guides? Removing the guides, eXpecially the biff-bars, is really not a good idea unless you're planning on going whole hog and clear coating the thing when you're done.
    3. Do you really need to remove the guides? You could end up pulling up paint & playfield chunks like that</blockquote

OK so let me try to figure out what you mean. Do you mean you where trying to get a screw off the playfield and the screw broke?
    Is it a machine or wood screw? is the screw still sticking out of the wood or is it below the wood?
    Pictures might help us help you

I guess the answer is I am not really sure how far I will go. After hearing from you I will probably leave the rails in and decide after I get it clean where to go from there.Thanks.

What I am looking at is pictured below. I have two that are stripped and two with broken screws in them. I originally thought that once stripped you would not be able to use the hole properly again, but as I am typing, I guess a new one would Just pull back into the bottom of the play field. Sorry if that's the obvious answer.

Thanks

IMG_4150 (resized).JPGIMG_4150 (resized).JPG
    #5 3 years ago
    Quoted from jim3394:

but as I am typing, I guess a new one would Just pull back into the bottom of the play field. Sorry if that's the obvious answer.
    Thanks[quoted image]

Ok I just wanted to make sure. Yes those are called "T-nuts," and you can just remove them from the bottom of the machine, and replace them. You can either pry them out from the bottom if you can get a tool under it, or push them out from the top of the playfield. If the screw is broken just hit the screw with a hammer and it will fall out. New screw, new T nut, you'll be OK.
    Most likely, those are 6-32 t-nuts https://www.pinballlife.com/6-32-tee-nuts.html

Or, you might be able to get the broken screws out after removing the t nut and reuse it.

#6 3 years ago

As for stripping the machine, I caution against taking everything off "just to do it." Believe me I say this because ive gone too far myself and wish I didn't!
    Leaving the metal guides in you'll still be able to clean and wax the entire thing and it will most likely come out great. Removing them is really not standard for a simple cleaning job.
    But either way, we are all hear to help.

Good luck!

#7 3 years ago

For the metal rails, DO NOT pry them from the top side of the playfield. Get a pin punch set (which you will use in many other places on pinball games) and tap them out from the underside of the playfield. Tap a bit on one side, them go to the other side to tap it out evenly.

Something like this: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-PPS

#8 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help!

#9 3 years ago

I'd suggest leaving them alone.

You can polish them in place, and still clean and wax the playfield with them there.

Depending on the age and manufacturer, the guides sometimes have small fins on them to help keep them in place. Those can rip holes and pull up strips of wood and artwork when you try to force or tap them out.

You are likely to cause more harm than good by removing them.

The only time I ever remove one is for repair if one or both sides are loose and slip up and down. By that point, the hole is usually hogged out enough where removing the rail doesn't really do much damage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/snubber-rail-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.