3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Bc3
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2668 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2662 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2661 (resized).JPG
    31AH7ESZ710_product_detail_large (resized).png
    IMG_0771 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170105_191751 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170101_201622 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0770 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0769 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

I use my many years of pinball repairs towards other product repairs. Snowblowers are the worst for sending to a repair shop for yearly maintenance for me in the past. Usually $200 - $300 repair bills, so after the first few years that ended for me. Biggest rip off is unique parts & belts. Hard to get, expensive, & might be weeks to get in stock. So I switched to generic heating belts from the wholesaler. Also did away over time of crap safety devices. My own machine, & I remember when we didn't have all this crap for safety for stupid people! I drilled the body to accept a mini clothes line tensioner for auger belt drive. So it is always spinning. We had powder snow today, & a lot more coming. Usually we have wet heavy snow in eastern Canada.

IMG_0769 (resized).JPG

IMG_0770 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

My buddy's dad was always bypassing safety features. He got rid of the stupid bar to shut the mower off when you let go of the handle. He got sloppy one day trying to adjust a wheel and took the tips of his fingers off. I know that's not going to convince anyone that is going to do this sort of thing, just a revelant story

#3 3 years ago

"Always spinning" sounds like a terrible idea, I don't care who you are. Might not be you who falls in, but then that's even worse.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

My buddy's dad was always bypassing safety features. He got rid of the stupid bar to shut the mower off when you let go of the handle. He got sloppy one day trying to adjust a wheel and took the tips of his fingers off. I know that's not going to convince anyone that is cgoing to do this sort of thing, just a revelant story

I hope you mean the adjustment was above the bottom of the mower, if he was adjusting a bolt or something and just barely missing the blades it was probably natural selection.

#5 3 years ago

Dear John,

Please don't kill yourself with your snowblower before you finish my Star Gazer playfield!

#6 3 years ago

Had my golf pro lose some finger tips. He didn't want to explain his stupidity. Also had a guy ripping (saw) his 2' x 4' in his hand, he also lost out.

Small clothes line part. Replaced eye rod, $1.

IMG_0771 (resized).JPG

#7 3 years ago

No hacks other than some flipper bolts to hold the augers together. This was just this week when I finally had to change both drive belts and the rear auger bearing after 21 years.

IMG_20170101_201622 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170105_191751 (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I hope you mean the adjustment was above the bottom of the mower, if he was adjusting a bolt or something and just barely missing the blades it was probably natural selection.

I'd lean toward natural selection. Maybe didn't have his coffee that morning? Frustrated with the kids? Trying to do too many things that day and mind was on the next job?

He was trying to adjust the wheel with one hand and grabbed under the edge of the deck with the other for leverage. The point is, that anyone could slip up just once, and as stupid as the safety feature is - it really prevents someone from having a very, very bad day.

#9 3 years ago

A lot of safety features is ok. But it does add huge bills to equipment maintenance & repairs. Think of how much more wear is done to pull cords on lawn mowers with safety lever. Had one wear out in the first season. I'm a adult & if I operate it myself i'm the operator. That said I wouldn't let others use it (hacked).

I remember when you weren't forced to wear a helmet on a bike or skateboard, etc. Had cool dangerous play ground stuff back in the 60's & 70's. Smoking was allowed inside, & seat belt use was optional.

#10 3 years ago

This is my snow blower, we call him Chewy. All safety apparatuses intact, it's called progress.

31AH7ESZ710_product_detail_large (resized).png

#11 3 years ago

i've seen a couple of youtube videos on "supercharging" you snowblower. Using pieces of thick rubber, attaching them to the impeller so that it shoots out the snow with more force. I think i might give it a try.

#12 3 years ago

I have a small driveway, so my hack is that I bought a $99 direct drive corded snowblower and a $30 50 foot long low temperature extension cord that stays flexible. Never have to worry about engine maintenance, gas, anything really.

#13 3 years ago

I'm relatively new to the snowblower club, I purchased a troy-bilt 2410 with the 179cc engine. Since I'm from northern VA, we don't get much snow, but when we do get a big snow storm, I would usually end up hiring a plow service. I figured that getting a snow blower would pay for itself by the first or second major snow storm we get this season.

I didn't consider getting a single stage machine as they won't be much help for a heavy storm. I found that this troy-bilt was a simple, entry level, two-stage machine that only has the features I want. It has electric start, self-propelled wheels, simple controls, and isn't so big that I wouldn't use it. I purchased used, but like-new in August for $400, they are normally $600 new, so I think I did alright with this. I think the new one comes with a slightly larger 208cc engine, I still think my smaller engine will get the job done.

As for modding it, I replaced the stock metal skid shoes with larger plastic ones. I'm not going to bypass any of its safety features as I don't find them intrusive and I'm sure they are there for good reasons. I wouldn't mod the engine to squeeze more power out of it because the engine was not designed to run at a higher power output than the manufacturer intended. I just think the engine's life will be shorter if I mod the governor settings. I don't know about modding the impeller, I'd have to look into that, but just as long as the machine works good enough, I'll leave it as is.

#14 3 years ago

I just use a shovel

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

This is my snow blower, we call him Chewy. All safety apparatuses intact, it's called progress.

Damn, that's a sweet snowblower.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I have a small driveway, so my hack is that I bought a $99 direct drive corded snowblower and a $30 50 foot long low temperature extension cord that stays flexible. Never have to worry about engine maintenance, gas, anything really.

Like a Tesla, but no free Supercharger stations.

#17 3 years ago

Once you modify any safety feature(s), you basically end any chance of legal action against the manufacturer of the equipment should anything, even unrelated, go wrong causing injury, pain & suffering or worse.

#18 3 years ago

Bought a Snapper 24", two stage, 5HP, B&S industrial/ commercial engine , 30 years ago. It's seen steady use here in New England on my 150' double width driveway, paths around the house and bird feeder area. I also blow away the snow that gets pushed off my 12x20' deck. Up until 10 years ago I also used to do my late father's house. It's also been used many times to help out friends that hadn't been able to clear their own places for various reasons. I'd match it against anybody's 8HP snowblower. It works great. So far, it's on its third spark plug, second set of belts, one set of tire chains,and I replaced two axle bearings for $20 in parts and under an hour of my own labor. Paid $600 for it new back in '86. It still works as good as new. Needless to say , it doesn't owe me a dime. At the same time I bought a Snapper lawn tractor that's mowed 1&1/2 acres of lawn that also is still going strong with few parts replaced over the years. Two of the best purchases I ever made.

#19 3 years ago

I installed a harbor freight motor in my toro 521. Direct bolt up for less than 100 bucks. I couldnt but the toro parts for the motor for that.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

I installed a harbor freight motor in my toro 521. Direct bolt up for less than 100 bucks. I couldnt but the toro parts for the motor for that.

Always wondered about those (Chinese?) HF motors. Curious how it will hold up. My wife is Korean and I visit S. Korea 4-5 times/year and use lots of taxis for transport. Most taxis are Hyundai Sonatas and many have over 500,000 km on the clock and are solid. Hope you're as fortunate with the HF motor!

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

i've seen a couple of youtube videos on "supercharging" you snowblower. Using pieces of thick rubber, attaching them to the impeller so that it shoots out the snow with more force. I think i might give it a try.

I did this mod and it worked out great! I have an older craftsman that had a gap at the second stage.. Probably better than 1/2 or more. I used rubber from a truck mud flap scrap I found. Highly recommend it ..

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toucanf16:

Always wondered about those (Chinese?) HF motors. Curious how it will hold up. My wife is Korean and I visit S. Korea 4-5 times/year and use lots of taxis for transport. Most taxis are Hyundai Sonatas and many have over 500,000 km on the clock and are solid. Hope you're as fortunate with the HF motor!

I found myself in the same dilemma..my craftsman motor died.

The owner of a local power equipment shop said he replaced his father's motor with a Harbor Freight unit as it was a fraction of the cost. I used a 20% coupon off my phone and bought it for around $80. It fit with a little adjustment/alignment no problem.

I'm on my 3rd season now and I'm still shocked on how well that $80 engine has done for me. Don't get me wrong though..it still is no where a stout as my fathers old Ariens cast iron motor.

I recommend it out of necessity for sure.. Bc3

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bc3:

I did this mod and it worked out great! I have an older craftsman that had a gap at the second stage.. Probably better than 1/2 or more. I used rubber from a truck mud flap scrap I found. Highly recommend it ..

Does this put more strain on the motor?

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Does this put more strain on the motor?

it shouldn't. When you first install, the rubber is touching the outer walls, but after running for a little bit, the rubber would be worn in to just touch. All you are doing is closing up the gap between the impeller and the walls.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I guess I will call mine baby chewy .

IMG_2661 (resized).JPG

IMG_2662 (resized).JPG

IMG_2668 (resized).JPG

#26 3 years ago

Tip: before each use, spray a coating of Silicone Spray inside the mower area and also where the snow shoots out. Will help prevent snow from sticking in there and reduces clogs.

#27 3 years ago

+1 agree with Insane. I gave mine a quick shot of silicone initially at start up and then ran it long enough dry to have the rubber take its shape and then into the snow. The discharge distance is dramatically improved as mine had such a large gap.

Re: motor strain: Hasn't been a problem ..if it were, you would feel too much resistance during pull start.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 119.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 33.50
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside