(Topic ID: 289794)

Snow Queen- four score reel to five score reel conversion?

By HisboyElroy

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

If you find Gottlieb Snow Queen on IPDB you will see that the game has four score reels per-player. But if you look at the very last picture on IPDB you will see an example with five score reels and the picture is labeled "backglass converted to 5 digits".

Does anybody know about this conversion? Was it done at the factory or was it offered by Gottlieb as a conversion kit? You would need a different backglass to accommodate the extra digit.

I'm asking because I sold one of these a while back and it had five digits, somebody asked me about it after I posted this video in the sale ad:

#2 3 years ago

I always thought adding a digit was something European operators did to American machines. My understanding was the players there liked bigger scoring. Anyway if true, it seems odd that your game would be manufactured here, exported, converted and sent back at some point. Possible I guess?

#3 3 years ago

I think some American operators could have done it, too. All cases I've seen show clearly-hacked artwork, not factory. See Lariat vs. Wild Wild West for a case where Art Stenholm re-drew the backglass for 5-digit scoring on the add-a-ball version.

On your Snow Queen, was the actual mounting board in the backbox badly hacked so that thousands reels for players 2 and 4 were moved to the left?
.................David Marston

#4 3 years ago

Thanks! I never knew that operators (American or European) did that. Looking at the backglass you can see that the player1 extra digit goes-into the game title so some of the game title is missing... I honestly never noticed it when I had the game, it wasn't until after the sale that someone brought it to my attention. I don't recall it looking hacked at the time. I guess operators would have had to scrape-off the silkscreen to accommodate the extra digit and touch it up?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/snow-queen-four-score-reel-to-five-score-reel-conversion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.