(Topic ID: 81241)

Snow Derby cabinet repainted? Seller claims machine is all original but ....

By meSz

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by meSz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SnowDerby.jpg
snowderbyflyer.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I am looking at purchasing a Snow Derby. The seller provided a picture and the cabinet looks too good to be original. I asked seller if it was repainted and he stated "no, it's original". I looked into this further and when I pulled up the flyer in the IPDB site I see that the color scheme is different than what the sellers machine has. Before I point this out I wanted to make certain that there was not different versions or something that I am not aware of as to why the difference!

snowderbyflyer.jpgsnowderbyflyer.jpg SnowDerby.jpgSnowDerby.jpg
#2 10 years ago

That webbing is wrong. it's a repaint.

Ken

#3 10 years ago

Obvious repaint. As Ken stated, webbing is way wrong.

Nothing wrong with a good repaint. Lots wrong with that one.

#4 10 years ago

Still an awesome game. Maybe knock him down a bit- and remember, you don't play the cabinet!

#5 10 years ago

Appreciate the responses and confirming what I thought to be repainted.

Quoted from matthess:

and remember, you don't play the cabinet!

Certainly understand your point but when someone is claiming "original" and asking more for that reason I wanted to make certain I wasn't missing something. It will also make may look even closer at the machine to see if anything else stated is not factual!

#6 10 years ago

That's probably the worst attempt at webbing I've seen. If the seller doesn't believe its honestly a repaint, show him this thread.

#7 10 years ago

Years ago I went to look at two games a local homeowner was selling. He called me in response to an ad I had posted in a local supermarket. The two games were Williams "Big Deal" (4-player), and a Gottlieb "Cow-Poke". Naturally, I was primarily interested in the "Cow-Poke". However, the cabinet was painted over in hand brushed orange paint, with huge sunflower decals applied all over it. Nothing was removed prior to the paintjob, and so the shooter bezel, coin entry plate, coin door and legs all had orange paint on them. I pointed out to the seller that the cabinet was obviously (badly) painted over, and the game would need to be stripped and repainted. He asked me "how do you know that?". Well, duh, the paint wouldn't be all over the metal parts if it was a factory paint job. I told him that I would show him what the original paint looked like if I removed one of the legs and again told him that I would have to have the game repainted. He said something like, "I don't f**ckin" care if you burn it!" Well, needless to say, I was a little taken aback, and left his house without the two games.
Months later, I called him and asked him if he still had the games. He said that he did, and I asked him if he seriously wanted to sell them. We finally worked out a deal, and I went over there and got the two games. He has since passed away; not an old guy by any stretch, but I'll never forget his hard-ass attitude, and this being one of the toughest sellers I've ever had to deal with. Looking back, it was funny that he didn't believe that the game had been painted over when it obviously was. The "Big Deal" was pretty nice, and I did a nice shop out on it and sold it to a neighbor and recouped much of what I had to spend for both games. The things we do for pins!

#8 10 years ago

First of all thanks for the input! I wound up looking at the game and took a print of the original flyer to show the guy his game was repainted. He honestly didn't know that it was. This party had very little knowledge on the game not to mention pinball itself. So in my deal it was a matter of the seller not knowing and not trying to pull a fast one or anything like that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/snow-derby-cabinet-repainted-seller-claims-machine-is-all-original-but and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.