(Topic ID: 253689)

Sneak Peek - MMR XL DIsplay & RGB Controlled GI's!

By PPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 896 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B9524220-908C-4F87-97CD-1724BBE8B611 (resized).jpeg
745233d21df73ec3203f6fd0fc711758824a4857.jpeg (resized).jpg
WhatHappenedToThePrincess (resized).png
MMRTopperwiring (resized).jpg
Topper Install (resized).jpg
A996C2EE-265D-4B10-8CD1-7F13B857F453 (resized).jpeg
DAEF4422-8E4B-455A-B615-DAA4B76DF65C (resized).jpeg
9270E9FD-08D2-494C-84DA-172BA5DAE98A (resized).jpeg
8F29C924-2A53-414A-AFAE-F318C8B26DB1 (resized).jpeg
34CF75AE-01BD-47FB-8AFC-9DEC91A45EFC (resized).jpeg
3FA936FA-A657-48A3-B17D-657573EEFC96 (resized).jpeg
DSC00340 (resized).JPG
39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
shaker (resized).png
20200829_203433 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider utesichiban.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#378 4 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Well, we have another sneak peek ... other than the whole package put together but that will be TOMORROW ... Chicago Gaming has taken MMR to yet another level with a few new tricks and treats!
The MMR will be getting the XL display to join AFMR and MBR ... this game deserves the large brilliant color graphics!
Additionally, MMR's will now enjoy controlled RGB GI's which take software cues to change the colors of the playfield and increase the level in immersion in the game.
See it in action at Pinball Expo in Chicago this weekend, and will be available soon ...
More details coming shortly[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The new display and/or topper should be offered at a huge discount to all original MMr owners. BS you guys come out with these enhancements now given how many of us already paid for the game.

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can't see they had no choice? When Apple releases a better phone do they have no choice to keep the old phone at the same price or do they just drop it to a price that reflects that it's not a top of the line phone anymore?
I am saying if a MM classic is equivalent to the classic editions of AFM and MB why does it cost $1500 more?

Because they have a lot of customers that bought their original MMr's atvthat price point that have also purchased subsequent remakes as well.

You may not care about that but apparently CGC is at least somewhat cognizant of that fact.

If you want an MMr, pony up like the rest of us did early on.

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Huge discount?? Why??
People buying now pay the same price you did for the same thing you got. A classic edition. Want more bling? Pay more...
I don’t see how you can possibly think you were disadvantaged somehow. My guess is you didn’t actually read this thread and you are making incorrect assumptions and conclusions.
Same. Cost.

I didn't see the entire thread. It is 7 pages long already and I just learned about this announcenent 30 minutes ago.

Glad they aren't severly undercutting existing owners with this move. It will still likely devalue original MMr's a bit, though. It would cost us a bit more to upgrade existing machines then what the the new SE & LE versions will cost new.

#386 4 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I wonder if certain pinball owners complain to apple or Sony when new phones or game consoles come out that they have been screwed over and overlooked because their old models don’t have the latest features... despite the fact that they were given the exact product they paid for (years prior) and have been using all along.
No one is owed anything other than the opportunity to buy the new product if we so choose...

A phone and game console are what, 1k at the very top end? There are a lot of CGC's original customers that already bought their original MMr's in the 8-9k range. Those customers helped them make the $$ necessary to fund subsequent remakes and their expansion into the pinball market.

Comparing a $300-$900 gaming console or smart phone to a much larger, niche purchase in a small community like pinball isn't a fair comparison. Many original MMr customers are customers for their future games as well.

The community is too small and the prices too high for these type of products to significantly devalue existing customers purchases over night. Besides, they know for MMr, they will still sell more of the new remakes even at the higher pricing structure. It is a better game then both AFMr & MBr IMO.

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Just got an email from PPS. I have MMRSE with color chip. Just to upgrade to the XL screen. $649.

How would that work swapping out an existing screen to the larger one? If it is an easy, straightforward swap, I might consider it down the road.

#391 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Should be pretty easy.

If it as easy (or close to as easy);as installing a color dmd display, I may have to seriously consider this upgrade.

#414 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s literally “hooking up a new TV”. Pull cable, pull out old panel. Put in new panel, reattach cable. Easy peasy.

Thank you. Will it retro fit with the existing speakers? The other question is will this new panel come with the speaker light kit and new speakers with the panel? That would probably all be enough to get me to pull the trigger.

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Anyone get details on how to order upgrades? I’d like to get that placed. I’m in on all three.

Quoted from Parzival:

LE owner that will be making all 3 upgrades. Overall, I feel very satisfied with the way CGC handled these upgrades. Mostly just excited to get my MMr inline with AFMr and MBr

Do we have details yet on what is required to install the RGB’s? That is the one upgrade I’m primarily considering but would prefer an easy install and not a big project.

I’d love the display and topper as well but already have a the color display & a topper (pictured - a much cheaper but admittedly no where near as cool of one). Can’t really justify the topper but am on the fence if it the display upgrade is worth it...

FE5C6C0B-51AD-42D7-86BF-0EDC389605D9 (resized).jpegFE5C6C0B-51AD-42D7-86BF-0EDC389605D9 (resized).jpeg
#420 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Because they have a lot of customers that bought their original MMr's atvthat price point that have also purchased subsequent remakes as well.
You may not care about that but apparently CGC is at least somewhat cognizant of that fact.
If you want an MMr, pony up like the rest of us did early on.

Are those of you that downvoted my post here those that think be cause you bought another CGC remake for less you are now entitled to an MMr at the same price?

MMr is a higher demand game. You'll pay the same prices current owners did and like it...

#423 4 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Tbh I don’t think anyone feels entitled to anything at any price point. Would it have been nice to get one for the lower price? Of course it would of been. I also see why they have kept the price on mmr as is. A lot of people bought them and continued to buy them. Would of been a pretty crappy thing to do to existing customers.

100% agree which is why I called out a few posters who downvoted me for basically saying the same thing earlier here.

#424 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

So am I correct in assuming I could in theory buy a MMR on the secondary market and then purchase the XL display and the RGB GI to install?

Sounds like it. At a similar price, a NIB with all the upgrade work already done would be nice, though.

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I’ve owned 4 starting in 2002. You showed up late to this thread, upset that your MMR is devalued, then became happy because you think it isn’t. Some resistance to increasing prices in the marketplace is good. I personally deserve nothing. When I buy a machine, especially one that isn’t limited and can be produced in the future, it devalues. Yours is worth less because I can buy a new one for the same price. As to being the best game and worth it, well I love MM obviously but don’t agree with you. There are many who prefer AFM or MBR, or newer games.

Yeah, I didn't understand how CGC was handling the changes and making retrofiitting at a similar price point possible in my initial post this morning. I should have read through the beginning of the thread before commenting but I still dont think that warranted being crapped on with a bunch of downvotes.

Of course, that isn't the post I was referencing in calling a few people here out. New MMr buyers may want to pay less (don't we all) but even if you don't care about the value of the games many of us bought previously taking a dump, I think you're missing the point.

CGC has had no problem selling MMr's in the past at the same starter price point they are now. Why should they lower the price to the level some paid for a AFMr or MBr when they don't have to? They are trying to make money and maximize profits.

By pricing and handling this they way they did, they will make $$ and sell more MMr's & upgrade kits without upsetting current and future customers. Makes sense to me.

#432 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Well, he who gives (downvotes) shall receive! Look, I get CGC and PPS need to balance the wishes of prior owners with the new ones. This is probably a good solution for both parties to end up at a similar price point. If they had come in $1k less as many wanted, then the only way to keep old owners happy would be huge discounts on the upgrades. So overall, they will lose a few customers but still sell a ton of machines. I hope they return to the previous price structure with the next game.

That last part we can agree upon. Hopefully future games will remain at the lower price point. I personally would be in for a TZ remake but anticipate if that were to somehow happen, it might be a bit more since it is a wide body with a lot of stuff.

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Meh..its ok i like many other pins much more. It didn't get played much so i got rid of it. Like i said i love b/w pins but everything gets old in home use especially older pins in a smaller collection like mine.. so the newer pins tend to hold up better for me due to many reasons. Also most of us wont be around in 20-30 years so not really worried about that.. i care about now and they are making some great new pins

I see your point but outside of CGC, I wouldn't say the playfield quality is that great on the new games Stern & JJP are cranking out right now.

Newer with more bells and whistles doesn't always mean better, either. I had a WOZ for 10 months and sold it recently. Beautiful game with a ton of stuff and bling but I never really enjoyed it that much. Have had my MMr for two years now and dont plan on selling anytime soon.

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Why would it?
Competition doesn’t.
I may not like it, but price points are being tested and the market is supporting new 10k+ games.
Good for CGC.

Go tell it to those jumping on me for defending the MMr pricing...

#510 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Rather puzzling to see all current owners worried and even angry at a new and potentially better version coming out.
Are you feeling the same about your three year old bmw?
Where you standing hand in hand with your b/w medieval madness owners where their games dropped 4k in value on the mm-remake release?
Suggestion: if you really love the game and care more for that then the monetary aspect. Just be glad there will be more games out there, since it equals better chances of spare parts beeing available in the future.

It seems the majority of existing owners have actually been just the opposite of what you described. Once we understood that these upgrades can be retrofit at a comparable price point to NIB, most have been commenting that CGC did this the right way.

The ones that I've noticed being the most vocal seem to be a subset that feel CGC should have reduced the price (with the new upgrades) to a what they have been selling AFM & MB remakes. This makes little sense as they've been selling MMr at 8k since the beginning and have had no problem getting that price at the base level SE.

Now that I understand all of the details, I think most of us would agree CGC did this in the best way possible for all parties

#512 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

This didn’t look like anyone defending the pricing. It sounds like someone feeling entitled to a huge discount to any, and all, future enhancements of the pin.

Read the entire thread. I made the mistake of not starting from the beginning so I understood these changes could be retrofit at a similar price point. Five posts or so later I acknowledged that and that CGC did this in a fair way that would mitigate devaluing of existing customers games and allow us to upgrade if we want.

One thing this thread has taught me is 1) make sure you read the entire thread and information before posting or face the wrath of pinside and 2) Some of the Pinside community can be a pretty harsh when you post something contrary to the prevailing sentiment of the thread. Lesson learned.

#514 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I read all of your posts, including the first one where you went on a rant without actually reading any previous posts.
Long story short is CGC doesn’t owe you anything (AKA “a huge discount“). You bought one of their toys several years ago. They’re allowed to produce another batch with upgrades and sell at whatever price they want.
It’s cool that the upgrades are backwards compatible, and the price maintains your value, but it’s not the end of the world if either of those weren’t true.
We should be thankful they’re producing remakes of these fantastic, high-quality games, and not sharpening the pitchforks and ready to riot if things don’t go your way.

If you read all of my posts, then why are you doubling down on your narrative? You're conveniently ignoring the fact I later acknowledged that the changes were fair and I am happy they made it so existing owners could upgrade.

If you're going to only use my initial not yet fully informed reaction to try to paint some kind of self serving negative narrative about me, at least be fair about it.

My mistake was discussing this initially here rather than in the MMr owners thread where people would have civilly corrected me and helped me understand the changes.

Now that I understood the changes, we are basically on the same page.
Get off your soapbox already.

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

As an original MMRLE owner I'm not really happy with this.
Basically the LE model is the high end best version and CGC is about to release a much improved version at probably a similar price point as what I paid...
Of course I'm not happy as this will depreciate the value of my own MMRLE!!
The additions are beautiful though, that I need to admit!
Sad to see that the LE model is not respected by companies like JJP and CGC...

Careful. Some of the crowd here will be sharpening their pitchforks knowing you're selfishly concerned about the value of the game you purchased previously.

Sarcasm aside, I initially felt similar to you (I am an SE owner). Once I understood that these upgrades could be retrofit on existing MMrs at what will essentially be a similar price point, though, I think CGC is trying to be fair and do the best they can.

I own a Tron Pro as well and worry what will happen to its value when/if Stern vaults it. I bought it just 3 months ago knowing a vault may happen and was willing to take the risk since I really like the game.

One thing I'm learning in this hobby is the companies that make these want to make money first and foremost. Customer considerations will always be secondary. At least CGC is taking existing customers into consideration by making retrofit possible at similar price points

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
$ 45.00
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 64.99
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider utesichiban.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s?tu=utesichiban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.