(Topic ID: 253689)

Sneak Peek - MMR XL DIsplay & RGB Controlled GI's!

By PPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 896 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B9524220-908C-4F87-97CD-1724BBE8B611 (resized).jpeg
745233d21df73ec3203f6fd0fc711758824a4857.jpeg (resized).jpg
WhatHappenedToThePrincess (resized).png
MMRTopperwiring (resized).jpg
Topper Install (resized).jpg
A996C2EE-265D-4B10-8CD1-7F13B857F453 (resized).jpeg
DAEF4422-8E4B-455A-B615-DAA4B76DF65C (resized).jpeg
9270E9FD-08D2-494C-84DA-172BA5DAE98A (resized).jpeg
8F29C924-2A53-414A-AFAE-F318C8B26DB1 (resized).jpeg
34CF75AE-01BD-47FB-8AFC-9DEC91A45EFC (resized).jpeg
3FA936FA-A657-48A3-B17D-657573EEFC96 (resized).jpeg
DSC00340 (resized).JPG
39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
shaker (resized).png
20200829_203433 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 4 years ago

Further proof that the moniker “LE” is completely meaningless.

When are you announcing the exchange program for everyone who bought a MMr LE & put you on the map?

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Cargument: Why is pinball so different from cars that each year they can put out the newest model of a car without having to take care of last year’s model owners that ‘put them on the map’?
Honest question.

Cars are mainstream and everyone "needs" them....pinball is niche, no one needs them, and it's mostly kept alive by a small group of hobbyists who are willing to fork over stupid money if they feel there's something special and exclusive about the game they're buying. There's more of a personal connection between the people making pinball and those buying them. Any of us can go up to Gary Stern and say "hey what's up, I bought your game!" ...none of us can do that with Mr. CarMan McBillionaire.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cars are mainstream and everyone "needs" them....pinball is niche, no one needs them, and it's mostly kept alive by a small group of hobbyists who are willing to fork over stupid money if they feel there's something special and exclusive about the game they're buying. There's more of a personal connection between the people making pinball and those buying them. Any of us can go up to Gary Stern and say "hey what's up, I bought your game!" ...none of us can do that with Mr. CarMan McBillionaire.

For the record, I love my MMrLE and have no regrets that I've been enjoying it since 2015. I'm not mad. I'm just saying, the term "LE" is meaningless and always has been. It's just a marketing term.

Hopefully they'll make an upgrade kit for original buyers.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

curious if any of these upgrades will work with original Medieval Madness as well. Lots of questions waiting to be answered.

No, they won't. PPS/CGC games don't run on WPC'95 PCB...they're emulating the code on a Beaglebone Black...that's what allows them to add the HD dots overlay for the display, shaker and new GI effects.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Man the entitlement of the LE culture on here is hilarious. Keep it up lol.

Say what you will, but these companies, especially Stern, would not be in business without the LE model. It singlehandedly has brought in guaranteed money to these companies for unfinished/untested/unplayed product. The pinball business cannot survive with "wait and see" buyers.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Im not sure this 250 number has been confirmed anywhere. Would be strange if they did limit it to 250.

Maybe a batch of 250? Sometimes they do a run of one title, then switch to make more of another one, and so on. They'll make them as long as there's demand, IMO.

#300 4 years ago

People complaining about the price, the “code”, or thinking MMr should get cheaper because MB & AFM were are hilarious.

It’s MM. You can’t compare it to anything else. MM will always be MM.

It used to be a $20k restored game.
It’s a bonafide classic, always be desired and that will never change.
There is zero reason to lower the price.
These will sell like crazy.

Also it’s awesome that PPS/CGC are offering upgrade kits.

Literally everyone wins here. Original owners get bling if they want, new customers can get a new game if they want...prices are comparable so orig buyers don’t feel fleeced.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This is why they're not dropping the price, IMO. They could move hundreds more MMrs if they dropped to a $6k/$7k/$8k pricing scheme, but they know that a sizable chunk of their customers are repeat players and they don't want the MMr early adopters to feel burned. Bummer for the rest of us that would benefit from cheaper MMrs, but I get why CGC would approach it this way.

I’m sure it’s partially that, especially since they’re selling the upgrades to potentially thousands of owners- but also - IT’S MM! MM has nothing to prove. MM doesn’t need to be cheap to sell. They have 2 other great games on the line, it’s not their only game to build. They prob ran the numbers and figured how many games they can build in a year - and selling MM at the higher price would meet those goals. There’s zero reason MM needs to be cheaper to attract buyers.

#370 4 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

I’m new to pinball and fell in love with mm. I’m in for 10k for sure. It sucks compared to the other games. But I’m the sucker they are looking for. Yolo

In 2014, a “like new” restored MM was $20k+. In 2019 you’re getting it for “half off” with tons of new features & a brand new warrantee. Don’t worry, the people who paid $20k are the suckers...you’re doing alright

#372 4 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

Thanks man, I‘M really green around these forums, and I understand for sure everyone’s concerns. I come from of course an arcade background and these prices are kinda a sticker shock to me. I really want to give my opinion on this but I’m scared of the pinside backlash. It can really break your soul lol.

I started with arcade games, too....but that was around 2003, and I got into pinball around 2006. I never paid more than $300 for an arcade game, and $1600 for the pinball machines was scary lol.

Anyway - keep in mind that new game prices are bonkers for the most part. Try to pick up some classics, projects if you can find them, and prices won’t be so nuts!

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

If it as easy (or close to as easy);as installing a color dmd display, I may have to seriously consider this upgrade.

It’s literally “hooking up a new TV”. Pull cable, pull out old panel. Put in new panel, reattach cable. Easy peasy.

#452 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

You can add all the lighting and bling you want but the game remains the same as 20-30 years ago.

Great games are forever. Let's see if anyone gives a rat's F about the current games in 20-30 years. MM's rep is baked in the cake...it doesn't need to prove anything else, it's already done it and will always be great - at home or on location.

Quoted from Richthofen:

CGC, if you’re watching this, I just want an MMR for $6k. No fancy screen, no colorbombing, no topper. Just my favorite game at a slightly-more-than-Stern-pro price.

If it was your favorite game, you'd have one. They've offered a bare-bones "classic" version of MM since 2015 & now are offering it again. It's $8k. Before that it was $20k for a comparable game. If you want the real original one, those are out there and CGC's existence brought the price down. So ungrateful, I tells ya...

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

What value does the old smaller display and panel assembly have? I can't put it in any other game but another CGC game, and who would even need that?

A trade in credit would be nice. They could refurb the panels and displays in future builds of Classic Editions. Would be a waste to just throw the old panels out.

#488 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

When has a manufacturer ever offered a trade-in credit? The panel is a standard WPC panel and can be sold just like any other part.

Was thinking more along the lines of the screen being useful to someone else, but I guess this was a horrible idea. Throw out your old screens, everyone!!!

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Pretty sure if I'm paying 10k for a freaking game, I do NOT want your refurb leftovers.
*Edit* Resell returned / refurb items at a discount for people that want to upgrade.

$6k AFM and MB remakes with the small screen aren’t $10k....and for all anyone knows, all mfg’s could be using refurbed display screens...who would know?

#504 4 years ago

Anyone have a good video of the RGB show where we can see actual gameplay affecting the colors? The vids posted so far don’t really show anything.

#524 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Rather puzzling to see all current owners worried and even angry at a new and potentially better version coming out.
Are you feeling the same about your three year old bmw?
Where you standing hand in hand with your b/w medieval madness owners where their games dropped 4k in value on the mm-remake release?
Suggestion: if you really love the game and care more for that then the monetary aspect. Just be glad there will be more games out there, since it equals better chances of spare parts beeing available in the future.

Cargument = You’re cancelled.

No one is (or should be) upset, as they’ve offered all the upgrades to current MMr owners, and the price of the upgrades puts it in line (if not a bit cheaper) than getting a new one with all the upgrades. It was a perfect way to go - they can sell rad new games, they can sell kits to the thousands who have it already...everyone’s happy, win win.

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Seriously why even offer a Classic Edition? I'd be surprised if they sold any of those considering $1K more gets you the large display, color upgrade, upgraded sound, and RGB LEDs/GI. Not sure how you can justify the cost of any of these editions compared to AFM and MB remakes.

It's MM. MM doesn't have to justify shit. It's MM. It sells itself. Cuz it's MM.

Some people want a brand new MM that looks more like the real one without all the extra bling. That's why they're offering the Classic Edition.

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

I don't mind orange dots on the older games. When I had an Addams family for a few years I wasn't tempted once to upgrade to color and I really enjoyed the display. I do think that some of the newer DMD games tried to do to much with the dots and hence they look better with color (game of thrones for example.
MMR or AFMR? I'm fine with the orange dots. I can see why most would spend the extra $1k for all the upgrades though.

I love color dots across the board - none of my games have orange anymore....that being said, I have no problems with the standard display size. My MMr with the high rez color dots looks great on the standard display...I'm debating whether to get the XL display or not. I love it - but I also don't dislike what I've got.

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Does the GI kit require a software patch? Can it be un-installed?

MBr has an option for classic lights or RGB lights....so I imagine it would be the same.

2 weeks later
#602 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Has anyone ordered a XL large screen DMD kit for their MMr?
Do we have a date on when the screen will become available?

They’re not available to order yet. According to the PPS email I got, they wanted confirmation that I’m interested in ordering & that it’s going to be a one time offering. Not sure why that’s be the case with the screen panel, as that’s a common part amongst all their games....makes sense for the RGB & topper tho

9 months later
#737 3 years ago

I forgot about this kit until I got an email
about sending money for it a few weeks ago. Too much stuff going on right now in my life - I decided I didn’t really need it at the moment. Now that I’m reading that it doesn’t perform as advertised, I’m glad I passed. My MMr is fine without this frivolous stuff.

#743 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

It's not that CGC can't do it, but it would make a native RE a lot less exclusive. Why would you want to buy a RE if you can simply upgrade any MMR with the upgrade kits and have the same thing? It will probably have something to do with that.

Exclusivity is irrelevant...the point of MMR Royal is to make an MMR with the cool shit the later CGC games had for new buyers who didn't have one yet...and the point of the kit was to upgrade your existing one. It was never sold as a lesser performance option to Royal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 64.99
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.