(Topic ID: 253689)

Sneak Peek - MMR XL DIsplay & RGB Controlled GI's!

By PPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 896 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B9524220-908C-4F87-97CD-1724BBE8B611 (resized).jpeg
745233d21df73ec3203f6fd0fc711758824a4857.jpeg (resized).jpg
WhatHappenedToThePrincess (resized).png
MMRTopperwiring (resized).jpg
Topper Install (resized).jpg
A996C2EE-265D-4B10-8CD1-7F13B857F453 (resized).jpeg
DAEF4422-8E4B-455A-B615-DAA4B76DF65C (resized).jpeg
9270E9FD-08D2-494C-84DA-172BA5DAE98A (resized).jpeg
8F29C924-2A53-414A-AFAE-F318C8B26DB1 (resized).jpeg
34CF75AE-01BD-47FB-8AFC-9DEC91A45EFC (resized).jpeg
3FA936FA-A657-48A3-B17D-657573EEFC96 (resized).jpeg
DSC00340 (resized).JPG
39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
shaker (resized).png
20200829_203433 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RussMyers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#463 4 years ago

OK, so I have a MMR with the color chip. If I upgrade to the XL display, that's $650.00, and I have to swap out the entire display panel.

What value does the old smaller display and panel assembly have? I can't put it in any other game but another CGC game, and who would even need that?

At least with the ColorDMD product I could use the old DMD display in a different game.

RM

10 months later
#786 3 years ago

OK, I just got my XL Display upgrade package by UPS yesterday and installed it this morning.

Some small notes.

When upgrading to software v 3.0.0 the instructions on CGC website do not specify you have to extract the downloaded file using 7zip or similar to the .img file. That may not be obvious to the non-techie person.

No issues upgrading to 3.0.0

The install booklet that came with the kit was pretty good, but was missing two steps:

Remove the green ground wire from the right hand speaker before removing the old panel.

Install the new green ground wire from the new XL panel to the ground braid in the backbox. The new one is on the left side of the panel rather than the right, and was twisted in with the other wiring and had to be freed.

OK, one question.

Now that I have done the upgrade, I still have the old color display panel I have no real use for.

Has anyone done and work on figuring out how to repurpose this to maybe add a color display to an old WPC game?

Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, no, I was not expecting to be able to do this and I am not bitching about CGC's upgrade path in any way.

I'm happy to be able to upgrade my MMr and nothing was ever promised.

That being said, it would be fun to able to do something useful with the old color display/speaker panel.

Shame to just let it sit.

I ordered and paid in full for this XL Display over 6 months ago. Nice to finally get it. Looks great, may need some adjusting.

RussMyers

#788 3 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Wondering who you ordered your kit through?

Me? Cointaker.

Same people I bought my MMr and my AFMrSE from.

Highly recommended to deal with. Top notch.

RM

#792 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

I also have the shakermotor installed, and it seems that with the new software the game makes more use of the shakermotor than before. But when you collect jackpots during multiball, the shakermotor goes crazy to the point I'm thinking there must be something wrong with it as it shakes the crap out of it. It doesn't go that crazy at other points in the game. I have the strength set to default and can't lower it any further. But I'm almost to the point to disable the shakermotor as it gets a bit too crazy at jackpots during multiball. Hopefully this can be toned down a notch in a future software update.

You can reduce or increase the shaking by physically altering the shaker - it's adjustable; did you know that?

Flip the playfield up, take off the plastic cover

There is a set screw that holds the weight to the rotating shaft. If you undo the set screw, you can pull the weight off and change it's orientation

If both weights are in the same direction = maximum shaking, opposite direction = minimum shaking

shaker (resized).pngshaker (resized).png
#793 3 years ago

Also, I cannot find any instructions on how to adjust the contrast and brightness of the XL Display on my MMr upgrade. I have the same XL display upgrade in my AFMSE as well. I can see the buttons EXIT MENU UP DOWN POWER, but I am having difficulty navigating the menu. Is there a support doc for this?

Thanks.

RussM

#795 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Anything on Youtube that matches ?
LTG : )

No. It's the interface made by whoever manufactures the LCD panel that CGC uses.

There are 5 inset buttons on the top of the metal cover, right hand side of the display.

You'll need a tool to depress the buttons.

EXIT - MENU - UP - DOWN --- POWER

Choose MENU, then DOWN to BRIGHTNESS, then MENU to activate; UP and DOWN to change BRIGHTNESS, then EXIT to back up one step

Then DOWN to CONTRAST, MENU to select it, UP/DOWN changes value, EXIT to fully exit

Kind of a PITA, but display looks better now

RM

#796 3 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

No. It's the interface made by whoever manufactures the LCD panel that CGC uses.
There are 5 inset buttons on the top of the metal cover, right hand side of the display.
You'll need a tool to depress the buttons.
EXIT - MENU - UP - DOWN --- POWER
Choose MENU, then DOWN to BRIGHTNESS, then MENU to activate; UP and DOWN to change BRIGHTNESS, then EXIT to back up one step
Then DOWN to CONTRAST, MENU to select it, UP/DOWN changes value, EXIT to fully exit
Kind of a PITA, but display looks better now
RM

It was a little washed out looking, I lowered the BRIGHTNESS and raised CONTRAST a bit; that did it.

RM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 45.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RussMyers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s?tu=RussMyers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.