(Topic ID: 253689)

Sneak Peek - MMR XL DIsplay & RGB Controlled GI's!

By PPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 896 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B9524220-908C-4F87-97CD-1724BBE8B611 (resized).jpeg
745233d21df73ec3203f6fd0fc711758824a4857.jpeg (resized).jpg
WhatHappenedToThePrincess (resized).png
MMRTopperwiring (resized).jpg
Topper Install (resized).jpg
A996C2EE-265D-4B10-8CD1-7F13B857F453 (resized).jpeg
DAEF4422-8E4B-455A-B615-DAA4B76DF65C (resized).jpeg
9270E9FD-08D2-494C-84DA-172BA5DAE98A (resized).jpeg
8F29C924-2A53-414A-AFAE-F318C8B26DB1 (resized).jpeg
34CF75AE-01BD-47FB-8AFC-9DEC91A45EFC (resized).jpeg
3FA936FA-A657-48A3-B17D-657573EEFC96 (resized).jpeg
DSC00340 (resized).JPG
39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
shaker (resized).png
20200829_203433 (resized).jpg
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 18.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Cargument: Why is pinball so different from cars that each year they can put out the newest model of a car without having to take care of last year’s model owners that ‘put them on the map’?
Honest question.

I agree - when you buy a pin - LE, collectors, premium, remake, whatever - there is a chance that a newer model with updates and perhaps different art/lights/toppers you like better will come along after.

When you buy a pin, you are accepting THAT pin - and really can't call foul if they make another style or improvements years down the road.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its a legit point from the outside looking in; however early adopters paid money upfront and waited 2 years....CGC has a history of making their LE's the best looking game with the greatest features. If they now start selling a standard model with more bells and whistles than the LE's I think its a problem. To offset this issue they should simply have an LE upgrade program at a discounted rate....other wise their LE's are all BS.

I own LEs and I’m all about improvements and more options, without it, things would stagnate. Pins are not “investments”. They are toys, otherwise why even bother with remakes or vaults? I say bring on the better improvements and options

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Cargument: Why is pinball so different from cars that each year they can put out the newest model of a car without having to take care of last year’s model owners that ‘put them on the map’?
Honest question.

Cars are mainstream and everyone "needs" them....pinball is niche, no one needs them, and it's mostly kept alive by a small group of hobbyists who are willing to fork over stupid money if they feel there's something special and exclusive about the game they're buying. There's more of a personal connection between the people making pinball and those buying them. Any of us can go up to Gary Stern and say "hey what's up, I bought your game!" ...none of us can do that with Mr. CarMan McBillionaire.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

All good points, but for a grand I'm out...I don't care about the RGB lighting, but the big display and topper would be a nice to have

Hoping it's not a grand myself. Looking at the XL display in parts. New LCD display, New display panel, new speakers and new speaker lighting. I already bought the color chip so sure the hell don't want to pay for that again. And I sure hope they don't come off the same way they did with the discount for the color being only for original buyers. That sucked but the original buyer helped us out so got the discount anyway.

#55 4 years ago

Topper aside, I don't see any reason they couldn't add in an upgrade program for the XL display and RGB kit for SE owners as well.
I could live without a topper but the rgb/display would be awesome depending on price.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cars are mainstream and everyone "needs" them....pinball is niche, no one needs them, and it's mostly kept alive by a small group of hobbyists who are willing to fork over stupid money if they feel there's something special and exclusive about the game they're buying. There's more of a personal connection between the people making pinball and those buying them. Any of us can go up to Gary Stern and say "hey what's up, I bought your game!" ...none of us can do that with Mr. CarMan McBillionaire.

For the record, I love my MMrLE and have no regrets that I've been enjoying it since 2015. I'm not mad. I'm just saying, the term "LE" is meaningless and always has been. It's just a marketing term.

Hopefully they'll make an upgrade kit for original buyers.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I agree - when you buy a pin - LE, collectors, premium, remake, whatever - there is a chance that a newer model with updates and perhaps different art/lights/toppers you like better will come along after.
When you buy a pin, you are accepting THAT pin - and really can't call foul if they make another style or improvements years down the road.

Depends on the price. Current MMR owners subsidized the technology (color chip, machine platform/chipset) that benefited lower prices for subsequent AFMR and MBR owners. This would be some payback, offering upgrade kits to current MMR owners at a reasonable price for subsequent aftermarket technology like the XL display.

#58 4 years ago

I would be all in on a CE version of one of these MMr's if it were priced like the AFMr and the MBr machines.

That 6k, 7k, and 8k pricing model is just a great value for what you get in these games.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I would be all in on a CE version of one of these MMr's if it were priced like the AFMr and the MBr machines.
That 6k, 7k, and 8k pricing model is just a great value for what you get in these games.

Why would they do that when they were selling at 8k before ?

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

LE's are all BS.

That’s what I think.

I only buy an LE If I’d get it sooner or if it looks nicer.

I’m thinking of getting a new MM remake super edition so I’m glad they made it. After having a large display on AFM LE, didn’t want a small screen MM remake. So likely CGC will sell me something rather than not which might have gone to Stern something.

Ironically I was going to get the first MM LE remake but the wait was too long and I get a STLE instead. Now it’s coming full circle back to MM remake maybe.

#61 4 years ago

LE owners got trim, a $200 color dmd coupon, and a shaker. For the same price as a standard.

Let’s not compare this to LE owners from other games who paid more for their LE’s.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its a legit point from the outside looking in; however early adopters paid money upfront and waited 2 years....CGC has a history of making their LE's the best looking game with the greatest features. If they now start selling a standard model with more bells and whistles than the LE's I think its a problem. To offset this issue they should simply have an LE upgrade program at a discounted rate....other wise their LE's are all BS.

So Chevy Introduces a 2016 Corvette Z06 C7.R Edition (which would be a limited edition) but the new Vette blows that away and everyone wants the new one. Why should pinball be any different??? I mean every manufacturer from televisions to refrigerators will have more options on the newer models.

Chicago Gaming knocked it out of the PARK!!!

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

So Chevy Introduces a 2016 Corvette Z06 C7.R Edition (which would be a limited edition) but the new Vette blows that away and everyone wants the new one. Why should pinball be any different. I mean every manufacturer from televisions to refrigerators will have more options on the newer models.

It shouldn’t be any different.

These are nothing more than toys and the manufacturer has every right to improve each subsequent iteration without consequence.

#64 4 years ago

I don't care if they even number the new ones and just call it MMr mark 2 - the topper and XL display is all that matters. Then the guys with the numbered original LE's can still have that and along with i assume a discounted upgrade package and they still have the gold trim. This will hopefully make them feel happy with their original purchase or not

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looks great...I do feel bad for MMR owners.

The irony is they are doing to their original customers what it was perceived they were doing to original game owners. Back then the thought went "who would want a WMS MM when you can buy a brand new MMR?". If this isn't an upgrade kit now you essentially have MM/MMRLE/MMRLE2, I wonder which one will have the greatest price drop?

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Why would they do that when they were selling at 8k before ?

So they can sell more. I'm not in on a past MMr or current MMr CE at 8k. I am at 6k and I don't think I'm alone.

I love my MBr...mainly because I love the price. I picked up a show used one for $5500. Its a bargain for basically a "new" MB.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

These are nothing more than toys and the manufacturer has every right to improve each subsequent iteration without consequence.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

You’re spot on!!!

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

So Chevy Introduces a 2016 Corvette Z06 C7.R Edition (which would be a limited edition) but the new Vette blows that away and everyone wants the new one. Why should pinball be any different??? I mean every manufacturer from televisions to refrigerators will have more options on the newer models.

I get your point, but I wouldn't put limited edition pinball games in the same category as mass produced cars or televisions...

#70 4 years ago

Seriously!?!?!? I just sold my MMR two weeks ago.

#71 4 years ago

Enough said .... I'm looking forward to seeing how CGC handles the cost of the upgrade .... definitely in on the topper...its a possibility that the new games coming off the line (Q4) may include the new display and topper? After all it would be the same price as AFMRLE and MBRLE....

#72 4 years ago

i have already asked my distributor to put me on the list or start the list. with all the issues we are hearing about with Stern and JJP playfields at an even higher price this new iteration of MMr is a no brainer

#73 4 years ago

I will probably have to get this new care-package for my standard MMR!

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

i have already asked my distributor to put me on the list or start the list. with all the issues we are hearing about with Stern and JJP playfields at an even higher price this new iteration of MMr is a no brainer

I asked my distributor (Planetary) if the games being built in Q4 included the XL display, and topper....they basically said they don't know (not sure I believe that, but thats what they said)....so who knows maybe its just a paid upgrade for all?

#75 4 years ago

curious if any of these upgrades will work with original Medieval Madness as well. Lots of questions waiting to be answered. Has anyone at the show seen it yet? I haven't found any posted photos beyond the ones PPS provided

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 4 years ago

Wow. How good is this going to be.. big screen and colour changing GI plus a Topper...
CGC.. take my money... cant wait..

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I asked my distributor (Planetary) if the games being built in Q4 included the XL display, and topper....they basically said they don't know (not sure I believe that, but thats what they said)....so who knows maybe its just a paid upgrade for all?

that may be so but not very practical I am betting they offer the topper and XL display as a kit to the previous LE owners first then start production for the remainder who do not own one already. Like others have said "take my cash now|" lol

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

that may be so but not very practical I am betting they offer the topper and XL display as a kit to the previous LE owners first then start production for the remainder who do not own one already. Like others have said "take my cash now|" lol

Time will tell...It does makes a lot more sense for them to build all their games on the same platform, and phase out the smaller display....

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

curious if any of these upgrades will work with original Medieval Madness as well. Lots of questions waiting to be answered.

No, they won't. PPS/CGC games don't run on WPC'95 PCB...they're emulating the code on a Beaglebone Black...that's what allows them to add the HD dots overlay for the display, shaker and new GI effects.

#80 4 years ago

I was told there would be an announcement tonight. Anyone have any idea on when CGC will let the cat out of the bag on what their intentions moving forward are?

#81 4 years ago

This is better than Xmas!

#82 4 years ago

This looks great. Are all of the LEDs tied together, or are they individually addressable? It'd be neat if they could be slightly different shades of orange/red to simulate the castle burning or whatever.

#83 4 years ago

Looks like the dream MMR, an SLE, glad it got the MBrLE treatment! I hope everyone can get the upgrades, but wouldn't be surprised by some specific items like a special powdercoat, glass translite, and so on might distinguish it. It would be great if they did the lightning modification at the back.

#84 4 years ago

hopefully it will be priced in my budget range.

I hope there is more illumination, somewhat felt that MM has been a bit on the dark side

#85 4 years ago

Has anyone seen it in person yet?

#86 4 years ago

I'm wondering if these upgrade will be available for purchase separately, or bundled. I have the MMr LE and the MBr LE. Personally, I like the appearance of the smaller screen set-up on my MMr over the large display set-up that's on my MBr. The smaller screen set-up looks more like the original MM.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

they're emulating the code on a Beaglebone Black

Beaglebone Black? That was my nickname in college!

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'm wondering if these upgrade will be available for purchase separately, or bundled. I have the MMr LE and the MBr LE. Personally, I like the appearance of the smaller screen set-up on my MMr over the large display set-up that's on my MBr. The smaller screen set-up looks more like the original MM.

I sure hope so....I would be interested in the topper for my LE...possibly the display if its reasonable.

#89 4 years ago

I'm going to go on record for what it's worth and say I wouldn't be happy if they screwed over us original buyers (imo that's what selling this for current prices would be doing). Right or wrong, it would heavily dissuade me from buying another cgc pin if I know they can drastically affect the value of my pin by releasing one for less money with more features in the future.

I'm holding out hope the new run costs 8k and then this kit costs the same as it does for current owners to buy

#90 4 years ago

Man the entitlement of the LE culture on here is hilarious. Keep it up lol.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Yep...I'd be happy just getting the topper....I could give a rats ass about the GI's...XL display would be nice (to match the others), but not a big priority in my mind...I'm hoping u can piece meal these options....on the LE comment it is kind of bogus they would sell a standard game with more features than the LE.....just saying....that being said all we've learned is CGC's LE's is kind of bogus anyways.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Say what you will, but these companies, especially Stern, would not be in business without the LE model. It singlehandedly has brought in guaranteed money to these companies for unfinished/untested/unplayed product. The pinball business cannot survive with "wait and see" buyers.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

they can drastically affect the value of my pin by releasing one for less money with more features in the future.

Didn't you get a solid plywood bottom in yours?

#94 4 years ago

How much longer?

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Say what you will, but these companies, especially Stern, would not be in business without the LE model. It singlehandedly has brought in guaranteed money to these companies for unfinished/untested/unplayed product. The pinball business cannot survive with "wait and see" buyers.

Very true....CGC is the one who chose to market MMR as an LE and claim its "best in class"....that being said I love that they made improvements to the game, and I'll withhold judgement until the details are revealed.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Didn't you get a solid plywood bottom in yours?

I have no idea. That would be one of the very last things I would say provide extra value in a pin. "O your medieval has PLYWOOD for the bottom?! Here's an extra $200" but if your medieval had a larger screen, awesome topper, and rgb lighting that would for sure be worth something to me

#97 4 years ago

I have to say that the topper is one of the coolest ones I've seen. It still isn't something that interests me enough to get. The XL display and RGB look good, but I put color in my SE when I bought it. Bigger color isn't an enticement for something I've already purchased. That's if they even offer them to SE owners as an after purchase option. Making my game "prettier" just isn't a priority.

I'm sure some current LE owners feel differently, but the "I'm never buying X again" crowd doesn't really pan out. Sight unseen buyers for LEs (or whatever a game's top level is) will still be there. They want the latest and greatest and want it now. That's not going to change.

#98 4 years ago

No problems if they allow sales to everybody. They should just do the same for all the machines. I should be able to buy a MB classic and get a topper for it.

#99 4 years ago

Basically, this new pinball sales a zero sum game (IMO) where there are x thousand sales every year. Us buyers are going to buy something (Spooky, CGC, Stern, JJP, AP etc.) and if CGC wants to sell more games like MM remake this is how it's done. I was considering a Stern for my next purchase because I don't like small display pins (in the $8K price range). Look at AFM/MB small display in the $6K-something range. No matter how great MM is, I won't buy one for $8K with a small display. But this with the lighting upgrades will maybe just get my money instead of Stern (SW, DP or JP that I was considering).

Before this announcement I was not a buyer of a new CGC pin (I have AFM LE but never liked MB so that was a pass so it was just wait for the next CGC because I wasn't buying a regular MM for $8K).

Stern just re-did the art on SW, they want to sell more SW pins. They hit a wall on the old art likely, they felt like they could grab another couple hundred or thousand sales from the new art. It's just smart business.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

No problems if they allow sales to everybody. They should just do the same for all the machines. I should be able to buy a MB classic and get a topper for it.

I would have no problem with that if they were upfront about it. I'm pretty sure they would sell a lot of MBR and AFMR toppers. The challenge is they stated they were only part of the LE package....now in their defense the large display and topper were not part of the original MMRLE package yet those 1000 customers were pretty instrumental to their success...let hope they don't piss off that customer base as many have purchased repeat product...time will tell

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.95
$ 64.99
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.