(Topic ID: 253689)

Sneak Peek - MMR XL DIsplay & RGB Controlled GI's!

By PPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 896 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B9524220-908C-4F87-97CD-1724BBE8B611 (resized).jpeg
745233d21df73ec3203f6fd0fc711758824a4857.jpeg (resized).jpg
WhatHappenedToThePrincess (resized).png
MMRTopperwiring (resized).jpg
Topper Install (resized).jpg
A996C2EE-265D-4B10-8CD1-7F13B857F453 (resized).jpeg
DAEF4422-8E4B-455A-B615-DAA4B76DF65C (resized).jpeg
9270E9FD-08D2-494C-84DA-172BA5DAE98A (resized).jpeg
8F29C924-2A53-414A-AFAE-F318C8B26DB1 (resized).jpeg
34CF75AE-01BD-47FB-8AFC-9DEC91A45EFC (resized).jpeg
3FA936FA-A657-48A3-B17D-657573EEFC96 (resized).jpeg
DSC00340 (resized).JPG
39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
shaker (resized).png
20200829_203433 (resized).jpg
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.
#801 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Lloyd? Thought CC was next?

No idea.

I'm tech support. First to go last to know.

I haven't even gotten the upgrade kits yet, that I'm already trying to do tech support for.

Rumors have been rampant for a remake or independent title. Pinside will likely have the announcement before I do.

LTG : )

#802 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No idea.
I'm tech support. First to go last to know.
I haven't even gotten the upgrade kits yet, that I'm already trying to do tech support for.
Rumors have been rampant for a remake or independent title. Pinside will likely have the announcement before I do.

Don’t destroy ALL of my illusions of you in one day!

39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
1 week later
#803 3 years ago

Got the RGB kit and XL display installed. Looked a lot harder then what it was. Still waiting on topper to get sent in.

#804 3 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Happy to have all three LEs with matching screens/toppers now! Bring on #4[quoted image]

Love the leg lights, we’re did you pick them up?

#805 3 years ago
Quoted from Reefkeep:

Love the leg lights, we’re did you pick them up?

Mustangpaul - https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1220-led-leg-light-ups

#806 3 years ago

Almost finished with the RGB install, ran out of gas before I completed the pop bumpers. But I can attest that I like the effect. About my only concern is that I was a bit confused that depending upon which iteration of the game, the routing, mounting and securing of cabling varies. If I were apprehensive of doing this swap, the only thing if I would be concerned about is removing connectors from the board where there has been hot glue applied to keep the connectors secure. And the instructions do not have much information about moving pins to enable the color changes for the speaker lights. But with a small pick and simple following the code sequence of the other pins, that worked at the power up. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the wire nuts mentioned in the instructions for the pop lights were not there. I plan on using the existing "taps" to make those connections. That is unless somebody replies here with some warning. I also used the existing screws to secure the lights. I guess I have that extreme fear that one screw would be too long and pop up through the playfield. None of the screws as re-installed seemed to be lacking torque to hold the leds. If any loosen, then I will make the change to the slightly longer screws that were supplied. If anything, the one major failing on this game has been the speakers as it arrived. I watched many others and their opinions of what speakers to change in but I held out hoping that I would be able to make this game match the performance (speaker wise) of the AFM that I also own. Well, it is a vast improvement in audio. The sub was easy to replace once I moved the shaker to gain a little clearance and angle to knock off the wood spacer the original was mounted to.

#807 3 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Almost finished with the RGB install, ran out of gas before I completed the pop bumpers. But I can attest that I like the effect. About my only concern is that I was a bit confused that depending upon which iteration of the game, the routing, mounting and securing of cabling varies. If I were apprehensive of doing this swap, the only thing if I would be concerned about is removing connectors from the board where there has been hot glue applied to keep the connectors secure. And the instructions do not have much information about moving pins to enable the color changes for the speaker lights. But with a small pick and simple following the code sequence of the other pins, that worked at the power up. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the wire nuts mentioned in the instructions for the pop lights were not there. I plan on using the existing "taps" to make those connections. That is unless somebody replies here with some warning. I also used the existing screws to secure the lights. I guess I have that extreme fear that one screw would be too long and pop up through the playfield. None of the screws as re-installed seemed to be lacking torque to hold the leds. If any loosen, then I will make the change to the slightly longer screws that were supplied. If anything, the one major failing on this game has been the speakers as it arrived. I watched many others and their opinions of what speakers to change in but I held out hoping that I would be able to make this game match the performance (speaker wise) of the AFM that I also own. Well, it is a vast improvement in audio. The sub was easy to replace once I moved the shaker to gain a little clearance and angle to knock off the wood spacer the original was mounted to.

I just used the original tabs and soldered the wires for the pops. I did have to relocate one tab so the wires could reach. I don’t like the idea of using wire nuts. I wanted it to look factory. Also just reused the screws. Didn’t get a chance to re map the speaker RGB wires over to the other connector yet.

#808 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Didn’t get a chance to re map the speaker RGB wires over to the other connector yet.

This is super simple. Only takes a couple minutes

#809 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I just used the original tabs and soldered the wires for the pops. I did have to relocate one tab so the wires could reach. I don’t like the idea of using wire nuts. I wanted it to look factory. Also just reused the screws. Didn’t get a chance to re map the speaker RGB wires over to the other connector yet.

So the kit does include RGB for the pop bumper lighting? I was under the impression that the pops didn’t change colour using the kit.

#810 3 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

So the kit does include RGB for the pop bumper lighting?

No.

#811 3 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

So the kit does include RGB for the pop bumper lighting? I was under the impression that the pops didn’t change colour using the kit.

Quoted from LTG:

No.

What LTG said. No it doesn't include RGB lights.

#812 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

From the MMr thread.
Thank you very much to the Pinsider who posted this in the MMr thread. If you purchased the XL screen and either the topper and or the rgb kit you get an additional board that drives the topper and the rgb lights. The speaker lights can be hooked up to the rgb board and will become color changing.
Looking forward to getting our RGB kit.
[quoted image]

Worked great for me... thank you!

#813 3 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Worked great for me... thank you!

Pleasure! The credit needs to go to the pinsider who posted all the original info.

We are looking forward to getting our kit and doing the same.

#814 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

When I soldered the pop power leads to the tabs, I also added a small portion to the one pop that wasn't long enough. I also eliminated the wire nuts to the sub woofer and made that a soldered and shrink tubing connection. The speaker lights and making that transfer of pins to the new RGB control card was simple. As far as removing pins from the placeholder connector, I simply used a straight pick and went in on the open "window" in the side of the connector to relieve the pin. Then followed the color coding of the other wires already installed. About the only other thing that next installers should do IMO is also use a few tie wraps to make certain that the new harness doesn't get fouled when lifting and lowering the playfield. IOW, keep the wires out of a pinch point. About the only other advice if it is any is to use care when installing the new light harnesses since the mounting tab access requires moving the wires away from the tab. IOW, don't want to pinch those wires on the install or cut any insulation with either the socket or screw. I also rerouted and removed a jumper from the display harness. If I recall correctly, I was concerned that the pins being open could short to a ground. About the only thing that was a true hassle was removing some of the glue that was holding some harness pins in place to the board.

#815 3 years ago

Just arrived.

DSC00340 (resized).JPGDSC00340 (resized).JPG
#816 3 years ago

Lloyd are you going to hook up the speakers to color change?
Do you know what CGC says about the mod?

#817 3 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Lloyd are you going to hook up the speakers to color change?
Do you know what CGC says about the mod?

Hooking up the speakers for color was super easy (just as an FYI).

#818 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just arrived.
[quoted image]

Still waiting to hear for payment. Been on the list for 8 months.

#819 3 years ago
Quoted from guss:

Still waiting to hear for payment. Been on the list for 8 months.

My friend that I put the kit on for. Was on the list from PPS. Never heard back from them so ordered through Cointaker. Only problem was he didn't get the topper in yet. Not sure who you are on the list from but pays to look around.

#820 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

My friend that I put the kit on for. Was on the list from PPS. Never heard back from them so ordered through Cointaker. Only problem was he didn't get the topper in yet. Not sure who you are on the list from but pays to look around.

I told them when the topper and everything was ready to let me know. Must be the topper is the hold up.

#821 3 years ago

If someone wants to make a video of the process you would be my hero!

#822 3 years ago
Quoted from guss:

I told them when the topper and everything was ready to let me know. Must be the topper is the hold up.

I was told by PPS that my kit ships on the 4th ....

1 week later
#823 3 years ago

when you install your kits in a old LE check if you have this graphic problems, let me know and CGC

you see the problem at
0:07
0:27
0:35
1:09

#824 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me the best place to order these kits? I have tried two distributors and both are getting back order only and one has had a back order in for me since May.

Thanks

#825 3 years ago
Quoted from drbrain:

Can anyone tell me the best place to order these kits? I have tried two distributors and both are getting back order only and one has had a back order in for me since May.
Thanks

They are pretty much all on back order. Still waiting on the topper and it’s already paid for.

#826 3 years ago
Quoted from drbrain:

Try Planetary Pinball Supply. They were supposed to get some this week.

#827 3 years ago

Just found out my kit has shipped. Thx all.

Another question. Does anyone know where you can tap 5v after the RGB conversion to make some 5v lighting MODs work?

#828 3 years ago
Quoted from drbrain:

Just found out my kit has shipped. Thx all.
Another question. Does anyone know where you can tap 5v after the RGB conversion to make some 5v lighting MODs work?

the old GI is still active

#829 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

the old GI is still active

What he said. You can even use any of the old GI wiring connector and keep it plugged in. Had to rerun all my buddy's mods.

#830 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

when you install your kits in a old LE check if you have this graphic problems, let me know and CGC
you see the problem at
0:07
0:27
0:35
1:09

Our game does not do that. We fitted the XL screen to an older MMr and our game works fine. We had to upgrade the firmware but did that ourselves by downloading from CGC site.

Have you reported to CGC?

#831 3 years ago

yes the developers checking it.

i already know the problem, the rgb board is the problem with he total of all rgb leds, this are to much
if i disconnect some led the problem is gone.

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

i already know the problem, the rgb board is the problem with he total of all rgb leds, this are to much

That is good info.

Thanks very much for sharing.

#833 3 years ago

What was the total install time for the GI upgrade and the XL display? Just trying to get an idea of the chunk of time needed for the job

Thanks
Mike

#834 3 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

What was the total install time for the GI upgrade and the XL display? Just trying to get an idea of the chunk of time needed for the job

Depends on you and what you all do.

I was careful. Rerouted some wires, and even lights so they were positioned better or not near moving parts.

Topper and big display - 4 hours. RGB GI - 4 hours.

I had a person posted on Facebook he did all of them in 3 hours.

#835 3 years ago

yes you will need 3-4 hours minimum to do a good job

check that all wires do not have contact to moving parts, also

#836 3 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Thanks
Mike

Took me about 3 hours for the GI upgrade (although I already had the new board mounted in the backbox from doing the topper upgrade) and 2 hours for the XL display (the display itself is easy, it was the subwoofer replacement that took me the most time).

As others have said, your time may vary...

1 week later
#837 3 years ago

It took me about 5 hours to do all three upgrades. I had a few challenges, mainly wiring stuff backwards. Aside from that, The topper wire was too short

1) missing cabinet back box organizing clips (I couldn’t install what I don’t have ) and one set of the blue wire nuts

2) the SPEAKER lights do not change colors in the test and they are making a humming sound.

Any thoughts on speaker issues?

#838 3 years ago
Quoted from Reefkeep:

2) the lights do not change colors in the test and they are making a humming sound.

I'd go over wiring again to be sure something isn't wrong.

#839 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd go over wiring again to be sure something isn't wrong.

Yeah, I’ve done that more times than you can imagine, it’s easy to reverse the bulbs. At this point I think I’m clean. I’ve got a ticket into Chicago gaming.

#840 3 years ago
Quoted from Reefkeep:

2) the SPEAKER lights do not change colors in the test and they are making a humming sound.
Any thoughts on speaker issues?

On the lighting, are your speaker lights blue? If so, it is working correctly. Good news, you can make the speaker lights interactive by relocating a few pins. I did so in just a few minutes and am very happy with the result. A reminder for others that this requires the PCB that comes with the RGB GI and topper upgrades.

Just follow the instructions (thanks @kapsreiter!), which were reposted in post #761. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s/page/16#post-5803389.

#841 3 years ago

Yeah, thank you for that. I think between the guys in this forum I know what I need to do. That said, I’m waiting until Chicago Gaming figures out this speaker hum issue before I do the RGB connection. I know they are unrelated but don’t want to confuse the situation.

At this point we have ruled out the subwoofer and the topper. It’s not a fast process but I have learned a ton.

#842 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Have they offered a fix at this point?

I’m still struggling with the speaker static/hum and at the pace of the support responses I’m honestly concerned I’ll ever get this resolved. The experience has put a damper on my overall feelings for Chicago Gaming.

#843 3 years ago

no
no new infos from CGC in my case

#844 3 years ago

In case someone has trouble wiring the RGB GI.

I completed all three kits over the weekend. Everything went really well except...
The RGB GI "adapter" harness that ties all 6 GI substrings together was labeled incorrectly. On the left side, labels IDCGIL1 and IDCGIL3 were swapped which made things a bit confusing. Also, the harness loops on my playfield (early LE) weren't in the same positions indicated in the instructions.

#845 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

no
no new infos from CGC in my case

We installed our RGB kit. The color changing speaker lights work and change colours the same as the LED strip. I have noticed that sometimes the speaker lights are not on at all. Is this normal?

Thanks very much for your help, game looks awesome with the colour changing speaker lights

#846 3 years ago

Has anyone else noticed that the new RGB/Topper board you install in the backbox and the main board have status LEDS flashing constantly? Is this normal? Never really looked before installing the board at the main board.

#847 3 years ago

Asking in this thread too: Has anyone in Canada received kits yet?

#848 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We installed our RGB kit. The color changing speaker lights work and change colours the same as the LED strip. I have noticed that sometimes the speaker lights are not on at all. Is this normal?
Thanks very much for your help, game looks awesome with the colour changing speaker lights

Yes i think this is normal mine are out when the Medieval Madness Main Logo is shown and when Game over is on the display

#849 3 years ago
Quoted from Reefkeep:

If someone wants to make a video of the process you would be my hero!

I second that....

#850 3 years ago

We have Topper, RGB Lighting, & XL Displays all In Stock and ready to ship if anyone is interested

Flipnoutpinball.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.