(Topic ID: 253689)

Sneak Peek - MMR XL DIsplay & RGB Controlled GI's!

By PPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 896 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B9524220-908C-4F87-97CD-1724BBE8B611 (resized).jpeg
745233d21df73ec3203f6fd0fc711758824a4857.jpeg (resized).jpg
WhatHappenedToThePrincess (resized).png
MMRTopperwiring (resized).jpg
Topper Install (resized).jpg
A996C2EE-265D-4B10-8CD1-7F13B857F453 (resized).jpeg
DAEF4422-8E4B-455A-B615-DAA4B76DF65C (resized).jpeg
9270E9FD-08D2-494C-84DA-172BA5DAE98A (resized).jpeg
8F29C924-2A53-414A-AFAE-F318C8B26DB1 (resized).jpeg
34CF75AE-01BD-47FB-8AFC-9DEC91A45EFC (resized).jpeg
3FA936FA-A657-48A3-B17D-657573EEFC96 (resized).jpeg
DSC00340 (resized).JPG
39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
shaker (resized).png
20200829_203433 (resized).jpg
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 18.
#751 3 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Basically the pins were shipped in a connector. It appears that the four pins are push to seat and to remove them just entails using an appropriate pick to release a lock.

Hopefully it will be that easy, we are going to find out when our RGB kit arrives.

#752 3 years ago

So finally I have all the upgrades installed. The topper, display and RGB lights look wonderful. It wasn't always easy installing everything to my MMR SE, as I sometimes had to improvise from the manual (e.g. the manual says that in order to install the new LED strip that's hanging just above the castle, you have to remove 4 screws, remove the old plastic and install the new plastic with LED strip and just 3 screws). Problem is that my "old plastic" does not have 4 screws to remove, because it has staples and no screws to remove. Also the 2 caps that are needed to twist and secure the 4 grey and 4 white wires coming from the pop bumpers and provided lamp cable are not in the kit, so I used some insulation tape which also does the job. The 3 mentioned cable clamps which are used to secure the RGB cable in the backbox are missing. Not a big problem, but thought I'd mention it in case someone else wonders about this.

MMR Upgrade.jpgMMR Upgrade.jpg

#753 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

So finally I have all the upgrades installed. The topper, display and RGB lights look wonderful. It wasn't always easy installing everything to my MMR SE, as I sometimes had to improvise from the manual (e.g. the manual says that in order to install the new LED strip that's hanging just above the castle, you have to remove 4 screws, remove the old plastic and install the new plastic with LED strip and just 3 screws). Problem is that my "old plastic" does not have 4 screws to remove, because it has staples and no screws to remove. Also the 2 caps that are needed to twist and secure the 4 grey and 4 white wires coming from the pop bumpers and provided lamp cable are not in the kit, so I used some insulation tape which also does the job. The 3 mentioned cable clamps which are used to secure the RGB cable in the backbox are missing. Not a big problem, but thought I'd mention it in case someone else wonders about this.
[quoted image]

I had exactly the same issues (including the missing parts), except that my plastic had screws and stamples. Those staples were a b***h to remove for sure

#754 3 years ago

Anyone else who purchased the upgrades have luck getting the speaker LEDs to be RGB instead of the static blue?

#755 3 years ago

Anybody in the USA get there upgrades yet ?

#756 3 years ago
Quoted from guss:

Anybody in the USA get there upgrades yet ?

I got an email a couple weeks ago from Planetary saying they were shipping soon.....although I have no idea what that means

#757 3 years ago

I can't figure out what comes with the RGB upgrade kit. At first I LOVED the fact they did such a great job emulating standard bulbs - but now my MMR looks dark in comparison to my newer machines.

Anyone have a photo of what you get for over $200 bucks?

I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Thanks!

#758 3 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Anyone have a photo of what you get for over $200 bucks?

Not a great one. You get the topper board, strip for along the glass channel, cables, and GI lines. And a drill bit and screws.

LTG : )

DSC00312 (resized).JPGDSC00312 (resized).JPG
#759 3 years ago

My sincere thanks for that. Will the topper lighting work with any topper? or does it key to the royal one? Thanks again!

#760 3 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Will the topper lighting work with any topper? or does it key to the royal one?

The topper comes with the same board. It runs the light show. So if you buy the topper and the GI RGB kit, you end up with two boards, so you'll have a spare one.

#761 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Anyone else who purchased the upgrades have luck getting the speaker LEDs to be RGB instead of the static blue?

You need to have the topper board. We have not done it yet, we are still waiting for our RGB kit.
f3ff191baca12955376183eb4bdfc4f40d3b15cc.pdf (resized).jpgf3ff191baca12955376183eb4bdfc4f40d3b15cc.pdf (resized).jpg

#762 3 years ago

Other than a new sub woofer and speakers, does the XL display contain any other features to improve sound? Can I get the same degree of sound improvement with other aftermarket pin speakers?

#763 3 years ago

How has the changing of the RGB-wires from the speaker panel to the topper board gone for those who have already tried this? Did you have to broke the original connector on the speaker panel to get to the wires and move them to the new connector or is there some non-intrusive way to do this?

EDIT: Looks quite easy to do!

#764 3 years ago
Quoted from PinScott:

Other than a new sub woofer and speakers, does the XL display contain any other features to improve sound? Can I get the same degree of sound improvement with other aftermarket pin speakers?

I upgraded my MMr standard speakers.
It sounded much better that the stock speakers.
Compared to my AFMrLE and MBrLE the sound is lacking.

The LE's sound much much better.

That all said I don't know why.
The upgraded back box speakers are good quality and larger than the LE speaker back box speakers.
But side by side no comparison, the LE's are better sounding.
Sure wish CGC would chime in on all the questions.

#765 3 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

I upgraded my MMr standard speakers.
It sounded much better that the stock speakers.
Compared to my AFMrLE and MBrLE the sound is lacking.
The LE's sound much much better.
That all said I don't know why.
The upgraded back box speakers are good quality and larger than the LE speaker back box speakers.
But side by side no comparison, the LE's are better sounding.
Sure wish CGC would chime in on all the questions.

Given the discussions this far, I am considering canceling my XL order and going with just the RGB upgrade. Money saved would go towards a Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro speaker upgrade.

#766 3 years ago
Quoted from PinScott:

Given the discussions this far, I am considering canceling my XL order and going with just the RGB upgrade. Money saved would go towards a Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro speaker upgrade.

Not sure their compatible with MMR games, but u might want to try the pin woofer speakers.

#767 3 years ago

Never heard of them.
Thanks!

#768 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

How has the changing of the RGB-wires from the speaker panel to the topper board gone for those who have already tried this? Did you have to broke the original connector on the speaker panel to get to the wires and move them to the new connector or is there some non-intrusive way to do this?
EDIT: Looks quite easy to do!

I don't know about using a razor blade as a pick. A dental tool of the appropriate size would make more sense or even using an automotive electrical connector service tool would beat holding a blade in my hands and hoping nothing goes wrong. Even an Exacto knife would be far safer.

#769 3 years ago
Quoted from PinScott:

Don’t bother with flipper fidelity speakers. I’m sure the quality of the speaker is better than stock, but the overall sound was not improved after I installed the complete set. One of the big reasons we bought MMR Is because we loved the call outs from the castle bosses. We assumed the call outs would be loud and clear like our AFMR but it’s still terrible. I’m hoping between the updated Code and the new speakers from Chicago Gaming that we will finally be able to hear them. I don’t know why they just can’t code in a setting for voice attenuation.

#770 3 years ago

I pre ordered the upgrades with PPS last year and have not had a update from Sara since 4/20 despite emailing her twice since then, the latest being 6/16/20. Does anyone know if she is still the contact person at PPS? Is there a better company to order from?
Thanks as I really want these upgrades and there is supposedly a limited amount!!

#771 3 years ago
Quoted from ElectronMover:

Does anyone know if she is still the contact person at PPS?

Yes.

Send her another email on Monday.

#772 3 years ago
Quoted from ElectronMover:

I pre ordered the upgrades with PPS last year and have not had a update from Sara since 4/20 despite emailing her twice since then, the latest being 6/16/20. Does anyone know if she is still the contact person at PPS? Is there a better company to order from?
Thanks as I really want these upgrades and there is supposedly a limited amount!!

I heard from them last week. They just said they are still waiting on product, and nothing has shipped.

#773 3 years ago

Anyone with 3.0 installation issues successfully install an upgrade kit? I have an early run MMr LE (#260). My install crashes out at 86% every time, but shows 3.0 code in the menu. I wanted to know if it would work or not with the upgrade kits as I have heard I am not the only one with an earlier machine with this issue. I plan on selling/trading my machine soon and don't want to mislead anyone. If you've had success (or failure) please let me know.

Thanks!

fail (resized).jpgfail (resized).jpg
#774 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Anyone with 3.0 installation issues successfully install an upgrade kit? I have an early run MMr LE (#260). My install crashes out at 86% every time, but shows 3.0 code in the menu. I wanted to know if it would work or not with the upgrade kits as I have heard I am not the only one with an earlier machine with this issue. I plan on selling/trading my machine soon and don't want to mislead anyone. If you've had success (or failure) please let me know.

You could try a fresh download from the website. Maybe the one in the kit got corrupted ?

#775 3 years ago

Thanks!
[quoted image]

We have an early MMr standard edition. We downloaded the software direct from CGC website. No issue like that. We did not have a colour chip previously and our color chip failed. We are waiting for CGC to send us a new one .

Game works with XL screen, just no colour.

20200805_145021 (resized).jpg20200805_145021 (resized).jpg

#776 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You could try a fresh download from the website. Maybe the one in the kit got corrupted ?

Thanks! Tried again tonight fresh. Same issue crashing out at 81% Game menu says 3.0 code installed. Boot up with card in brings following screen. You think itsnfood for the upgrades?20200829_194928 (resized).jpg20200829_194928 (resized).jpg

#777 3 years ago

Thanks! Tried again tonight fresh. Same issue crashing out at 81% Game menu says 3.0 code installed. Boot up with card in brings following screen. You think itsnfood for the upgrades?

Please open a ticket under Support on the Help Desk - https://www.chicago-gaming.com/

Find out what the engineers think.

#778 3 years ago

Thanks! Tried again tonight fresh. Same issue crashing out at 81% Game menu says 3.0 code installed. Boot up with card in brings following screen. You think itsnfood for the upgrades?[quoted image]

When you have finished installing the updated code, machine tells you to remove the SD card before you restart the game. Have you followed this process?

#779 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

When you have finished installing the updated code, machine tells you to remove the SD card before you restart the game. Have you followed this process?

Forgot to ask that.

Did you remove the micro SD card ? If not it will keep trying to install.

Thank you pinballaddicted !

#780 3 years ago

Please remove the micro SD card. Turn the game on. Then go into the first page of the CGC menu and see what version is in your game.

#781 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please open a ticket under Support on the Help Desk - https://www.chicago-gaming.com/
Find out what the engineers think.

I did a few months back. They offered to look at the board if I mailed it in but didn't want to lose my machine. It plays fine as is and I wasn't planning on upgrades, but the next guy might.

No. It has never completed code install and goes to this screen after 81% completion plus about 2 minutes.

b618fe598bad74d1c0e99654e223469ea193596c (resized).jpgb618fe598bad74d1c0e99654e223469ea193596c (resized).jpg
#782 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please remove the micro SD card. Turn the game on. Then go into the first page of the CGC menu and see what version is in your game.

Can I assume the upgrades would work?

Thanks!

20200829_203433 (resized).jpg20200829_203433 (resized).jpg20200829_203449 (resized).jpg20200829_203449 (resized).jpg
#783 3 years ago

Can I assume the upgrades would work?

They should. Game thinks the 3.0 is in there.

#784 3 years ago

I did a few months back. They offered to look at the board if I mailed it in but didn't want to lose my machine. It plays fine as is and I wasn't planning on upgrades, but the next guy might.

No. It has never completed code install and goes to this screen after 81% completion plus about 2 minutes.
[quoted image]

Do you have the correct SD card? Correct size, formatted and flashed properly?

If you have a faulty, incorrect size SD or the card is not flashed properly this will cause you issues as well. Correctly format the SD card before you start to remove any other software that could be on it.

If the game worked before you put the new code in, this could be your issue. CGC site is very clear on which SD card to buy and how to load the code.

LTG is the best man to help you out as well!

#785 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They should. Game thinks the 3.0 is in there.

Thanks so much!

Do you have the correct SD card? Correct size, formatted and flashed properly?
If you have a faulty, incorrect size SD or the card is not flashed properly this will cause you issues as well. Correctly format the SD card before you start to remove any other software that could be on it.
If the game worked before you put the new code in, this could be your issue. CGC site is very clear on which SD card to buy and how to load the code.
LTG is the best man to help you out as well!

Yes... correct flash card. 2 tried of the exact type from the website. Formatted and flashed properly utilizing 2 different disk imagers, and 3 different unzip programs including WINRAR, WINZIP, and 7-Zip. But it sounds like the 3.0 code took and it plays good now so I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie. Thanks!

#786 3 years ago

OK, I just got my XL Display upgrade package by UPS yesterday and installed it this morning.

Some small notes.

When upgrading to software v 3.0.0 the instructions on CGC website do not specify you have to extract the downloaded file using 7zip or similar to the .img file. That may not be obvious to the non-techie person.

No issues upgrading to 3.0.0

The install booklet that came with the kit was pretty good, but was missing two steps:

Remove the green ground wire from the right hand speaker before removing the old panel.

Install the new green ground wire from the new XL panel to the ground braid in the backbox. The new one is on the left side of the panel rather than the right, and was twisted in with the other wiring and had to be freed.

OK, one question.

Now that I have done the upgrade, I still have the old color display panel I have no real use for.

Has anyone done and work on figuring out how to repurpose this to maybe add a color display to an old WPC game?

Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, no, I was not expecting to be able to do this and I am not bitching about CGC's upgrade path in any way.

I'm happy to be able to upgrade my MMr and nothing was ever promised.

That being said, it would be fun to able to do something useful with the old color display/speaker panel.

Shame to just let it sit.

I ordered and paid in full for this XL Display over 6 months ago. Nice to finally get it. Looks great, may need some adjusting.

RussMyers

#787 3 years ago

Wondering who you ordered your kit through?

#788 3 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Wondering who you ordered your kit through?

Me? Cointaker.

Same people I bought my MMr and my AFMrSE from.

Highly recommended to deal with. Top notch.

RM

#789 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

So the display/speaker “upgrade”, are they putting smaller backbox speakers (4”) in and putting the bigger 8” sub in?
Also does it come with a sub filter/crossover and an Lpad?
I would much rather have 5 1/4” in the backbox over 4” any day.
I’ve just bought a virtually brand new LE and have the HD kit in the post.
Just interested to know what exactly the sound upgrade is.Thanks.

Sorry but shit 4" speakers and shit 5.25" speakers are still shit.

I'll take quality 4" over shit 5.25" any day of the week.

I can tell you is that the speaker panel upgrades in the package are significantly better than what comes with MMR LE - the call outs are clearer and have significantly more detail.

There are a number of controls in the CGC menu to change the filter for the subwoofer although I'm running stock and its pretty decent.

#790 3 years ago

I also have the shakermotor installed, and it seems that with the new software the game makes more use of the shakermotor than before. But when you collect jackpots during multiball, the shakermotor goes crazy to the point I'm thinking there must be something wrong with it as it shakes the crap out of it. It doesn't go that crazy at other points in the game. I have the strength set to default and can't lower it any further. But I'm almost to the point to disable the shakermotor as it gets a bit too crazy at jackpots during multiball. Hopefully this can be toned down a notch in a future software update.

#791 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

I also have the shakermotor installed, and it seems that with the new software the game makes more use of the shakermotor than before. But when you collect jackpots during multiball, the shakermotor goes crazy to the point I'm thinking there must be something wrong with it as it shakes the crap out of it. It doesn't go that crazy at other points in the game. I have the strength set to default and can't lower it any further. But I'm almost to the point to disable the shakermotor as it gets a bit too crazy at jackpots during multiball. Hopefully this can be toned down a notch in a future software update.

If you think jackpots are crazy wait for it... The shaker basically never turns off during battle for the kingdom. Pretty weird actually..

#792 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

You can reduce or increase the shaking by physically altering the shaker - it's adjustable; did you know that?

Flip the playfield up, take off the plastic cover

There is a set screw that holds the weight to the rotating shaft. If you undo the set screw, you can pull the weight off and change it's orientation

If both weights are in the same direction = maximum shaking, opposite direction = minimum shaking

shaker (resized).pngshaker (resized).png
#793 3 years ago

Also, I cannot find any instructions on how to adjust the contrast and brightness of the XL Display on my MMr upgrade. I have the same XL display upgrade in my AFMSE as well. I can see the buttons EXIT MENU UP DOWN POWER, but I am having difficulty navigating the menu. Is there a support doc for this?

Thanks.

RussM

#794 3 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Is there a support doc for this?

Anything on Youtube that matches ?

#795 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Anything on Youtube that matches ?

No. It's the interface made by whoever manufactures the LCD panel that CGC uses.

There are 5 inset buttons on the top of the metal cover, right hand side of the display.

You'll need a tool to depress the buttons.

EXIT - MENU - UP - DOWN --- POWER

Choose MENU, then DOWN to BRIGHTNESS, then MENU to activate; UP and DOWN to change BRIGHTNESS, then EXIT to back up one step

Then DOWN to CONTRAST, MENU to select it, UP/DOWN changes value, EXIT to fully exit

Kind of a PITA, but display looks better now

RM

#796 3 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

No. It's the interface made by whoever manufactures the LCD panel that CGC uses.
There are 5 inset buttons on the top of the metal cover, right hand side of the display.
You'll need a tool to depress the buttons.
EXIT - MENU - UP - DOWN --- POWER
Choose MENU, then DOWN to BRIGHTNESS, then MENU to activate; UP and DOWN to change BRIGHTNESS, then EXIT to back up one step
Then DOWN to CONTRAST, MENU to select it, UP/DOWN changes value, EXIT to fully exit
RM

It was a little washed out looking, I lowered the BRIGHTNESS and raised CONTRAST a bit; that did it.

RM

#797 3 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Glad to hear. Your ticket is waiting to see if Edwin has anything.

Thank you !

#798 3 years ago

Happy to have all three LEs with matching screens/toppers now! Bring on #4

62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
#799 3 years ago

Anyone know when the next run of MM will be rolled out?

#800 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Anyone know when the next run of MM will be rolled out?

Was under the impression CGC is rolling out next title. Could be a looooong while if ever for next MM? Lloyd? Thought CC was next?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.