(Topic ID: 253689)

Sneak Peek - MMR XL DIsplay & RGB Controlled GI's!

By PPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 896 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B9524220-908C-4F87-97CD-1724BBE8B611 (resized).jpeg
745233d21df73ec3203f6fd0fc711758824a4857.jpeg (resized).jpg
WhatHappenedToThePrincess (resized).png
MMRTopperwiring (resized).jpg
Topper Install (resized).jpg
A996C2EE-265D-4B10-8CD1-7F13B857F453 (resized).jpeg
DAEF4422-8E4B-455A-B615-DAA4B76DF65C (resized).jpeg
9270E9FD-08D2-494C-84DA-172BA5DAE98A (resized).jpeg
8F29C924-2A53-414A-AFAE-F318C8B26DB1 (resized).jpeg
34CF75AE-01BD-47FB-8AFC-9DEC91A45EFC (resized).jpeg
3FA936FA-A657-48A3-B17D-657573EEFC96 (resized).jpeg
DSC00340 (resized).JPG
39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
shaker (resized).png
20200829_203433 (resized).jpg

There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.
#701 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Fear not. Not a bummer. Upgrade kits bring the old owners in line with the new machines.
LTG : )

This is what it says in the RGB-instructions:
"90) NOTE: The SPEAKER lamp test only functions in Special Edition and Royal Edition games."

EDIT: tested also in game (I have all the upgrades installed), the speakers don't change colors - they are constant blue.

#702 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
You need the topper board. Which is included in both the RGB kit and with the Topper kit. Not included with the big display/speaker kit.

I only have the new display on order at this time. Based on these comments, the speaker lights require the top board in order to be interactive and would require the RGB mod or topper, correct?

#703 3 years ago

Tested also in game (I have all the upgrades installed), the speakers don't change colors - they are constant blue, even though I have set them to be interactive.

#704 3 years ago

I also had a quick look in the topper manual and RGB kit manual, and nowhere is it mentioned that you have to connect the speaker cable at some point to the topperboard, so it's obvious the speaker LED's can never change color, because you're using the old speaker cables from the previous display so they can't possibly be driven by the new hardware. Too bad I guess.

#705 3 years ago

I checked with CGC.

As the kits are shipped the speaker lights are blue only.

I apologize for any confusion I posted earlier.

#706 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I checked with CGC.

Darn, I am back to being bummed. It is a shame they could not get this working...do you know what the issue is and why they cannot get this working?

#707 3 years ago

I what my update

#708 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Darn, I am back to being bummed. It is a shame they could not get this working...do you know what the issue is and why they cannot get this working?

No idea.

I wouldn't be bummed though. RGB GI looks great. As does the new speaker panel with the big display.

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I checked with CGC.

All good, very much appreciate the info!

Surely this is just a wiring loom adjustment? I have had a look at our MBrLE and the wiring is the same on both panels. MMr XL display has an adapter for the speaker lights that goes to the original wiring loom. Once our RGB kit arrives, I will see if I can come up with a solution for this.

#710 3 years ago

So the speaker lights in the new RE are RGB, and interact with game play yet the kit you purchase does not? Does it interact at all or is it always on? Can u change colors? If not its kind of a disappointment

#711 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

So the speaker lights in the new RE are RGB, and interact with game play yet the kit you purchase does not? Does it interact at all or is it always on? Can u change colors? If not its kind of a disappointment

It is disappointing, as I felt CGC indicated that the upgrade kit would bring previous owners in line with the new builds. They have not communicated very well about the upgrade kit, either. I hope there is an easy work around for the RGB speaker lights...

#712 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

It is disappointing, as I felt CGC indicated that the upgrade kit would bring previous owners in line with the new builds. They have not communicated very well about the upgrade kit, either. I hope there is an easy work around for the RGB speaker lights...

They've actually been pretty terrible at it, and yes they did indicate it would be the same ....I'm wondering if the lights on the upgrade panel are even RGB?

#713 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm wondering if the lights on the upgrade panel are even RGB?

https://www.chicago-gaming.com/coinop/medieval-madness No upgrade panel. The upgrade is the RGB General Illumination Kit. The GI lights will be RGB. Remove the old GI lights and cable. Install new RGB lights and cables.

Quoted from brucipher:

I felt CGC indicated that the upgrade kit would bring previous owners in line with the new builds.

Better than the new builds, if you add the upgrade kits, to older games or newer games. They never promised upgrade kits that would make a MMR the same as the limited royal.

#714 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

https://www.chicago-gaming.com/coinop/medieval-madness No upgrade panel. The upgrade is the RGB General Illumination Kit. The GI lights will be RGB. Remove the old GI lights and cable. Install new RGB lights and cables.

Better than the new builds, if you add the upgrade kits, to older games or newer games. They never promised upgrade kits that would make a MMR the same as the limited royal.

Going to get nitpicky here, hehe...per CGC-Ryan (on the MMR Owners Club):

"We want all of our customers to be able to have the best of what we can build, and we did that by offering the upgrade kits for all existing CGC Medieval Madness games, and wanted to offer new customers the ability to experience what we are doing at CGC.

I encourage everybody who owns a CGC Medieval Madness to look into the update kits. It is a cost effective way to update your Limited Edition and Standard Edition Medieval Madness to look like the other CGC games we manufacturer."

Technically, with the lack of the RGB speaker lights, we don't have the opportunity to fully make the LE and SE MM's look like the other CGC games.

Again, splitting hairs, and not the end of the world, but this was never communicated very well.

#715 3 years ago

I'm confused here, the speaker lighting is capable of color mutations but even if you installed the GI update or topper kit, it will not function in that manner? Other than that, when the display panel and speakers are retrofitted, is the sound "vastly" improved and is there any issue that requires modifications to the cabinet to install the "new" speaker there? IOW, we don't have to remove a spacer to get that sub to clear everything?

#716 3 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

when the display panel and speakers are retrofitted, is the sound "vastly" improved and is there any issue that requires modifications to the cabinet to install the "new" speaker there? IOW, we don't have to remove a spacer to get that sub to clear everything?

Yes, new speakers on the display panel, and new 8 inch upgraded sub woofer.

is there any issue that requires modifications to the cabinet to install the "new" speaker there? IOW, we don't have to remove a spacer to get that sub to clear everything?

You remove the old speaker and pry up the wood it is mounted to. Install the new speaker and wood it is on. Drill some new holes.

the speaker lighting is capable of color mutations but even if you installed the GI update or topper kit, it will not function in that manner?

Correct. Speaker lights are blue.

#717 3 years ago

What about using something like this to mod the speaker-lights? It grabs the HDMI-signal and changes led-colors based on that apparently.
https://odditymall.com/dreamscreen-led-tv-backlights

#718 3 years ago

I was in for all of the upgrades, but hearing the speaker lights aren't color changing, I'm thinking I might just buy the topper.

I'm not a big fan of the large display anyway. I have it on my MBr. The color changing GI?....I can live without it.

#719 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I was in for all of the upgrades, but hearing the speaker lights aren't color changing, I'm thinking I might just buy the topper.
I'm not a big fan of the large display anyway. I have it on my MBr. The color changing GI?....I can live without it.

Don't forget a big part of the display upgrade is the sound system.
For close to the same amount of money I think you get a bit more with display and speakers vs the topper.
Unless you have already upgraded your speakers.

#720 3 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Don't forget a big part of the display upgrade is the sound system.

Two new speakers and an 8 inch upgraded woofer.

#721 3 years ago

So guys can you do these upgrades on the MMR Classic version as well?

#722 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

Yes.

#723 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

Yep! We just put the XL screen and speakers in our MMr classic. Waiting on the color chip replacement and RGB kit. For us, definitely a great addition. The sound upgrade is fantastic.

15968574147827723729870775343875 (resized).jpg15968574147827723729870775343875 (resized).jpg

#724 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Yep! We just put the XL screen and speakers in our MMr classic. Waiting on the color chip replacement and RGB kit. For us, definitely a great addition. The sound upgrade is fantastic.
[quoted image]

Thanks!

#725 3 years ago

I still have to install the topper and RGB upgrade kit, but another thing that caught my attention are the 3 lights inside the 3 pop bumpers. I've seen a couple of YouTube videos of native RE's, and these bumper lights are also changing color just like the rest of the RGB GI.

When you read through the RGB upgrade kit manual, you're basically only working under the playfield to replace the GI lights and inside the backbox to install some PCB. Nowhere have I read that you also have to replace the 3 lights inside the pop bumpers for RGB lights (this can only be done from the top side). The only thing that's mentioned in that manual is that you have to cut the 3 grey and white wires coming from the pop bumpers, twist them together with some lamp cable that's provided with the kit, and then they magically change color??

Again, I haven't installed the RGB upgrade kit yet, so I can't check it yet, but I've been wondering about those bumper lights.

#726 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

I still have to install the topper and RGB upgrade kit, but another thing that caught my attention are the 3 lights inside the 3 pop bumpers. I've seen a couple of YouTube videos of native RE's, and these bumper lights are also changing color just like the rest of the RGB GI.

When you read through the RGB upgrade kit manual, you're basically only working under the playfield to replace the GI lights and inside the backbox to install some PCB. Nowhere have I read that you also have to replace the 3 lights inside the pop bumpers for RGB lights (this can only be done from the top side). The only thing that's mentioned in that manual is that you have to cut the 3 grey and white wires coming from the pop bumpers, twist them together with some lamp cable that's provided with the kit, and then they magically change color??

Again, I haven't installed the RGB upgrade kit yet, so I can't check it yet, but I've been wondering about those bumper lights.

The pop bumper lights are not in the RGB upgrade kit or available. In the RE only.

#727 3 years ago

To be honest, the speakerlights that are not working like they do in a native RE, and now it appears that the bumper lights also do not change color, that's not really my version of bringing your SE up to the same level as a RE. And that is the impression that I got after seeing a preview video on YouTube. I get that you don't explicitly mention the small differences between a native RE and an upgraded SE because of marketing reasons, but this could have been done better. Just feeling a bit disapointed.

Just wondering what the purpose is of twisting those bumper wires together with the provided lamp cable? What does this actually do?

#728 3 years ago

So the display/speaker “upgrade”, are they putting smaller backbox speakers (4”) in and putting the bigger 8” sub in?
Also does it come with a sub filter/crossover and an Lpad?
I would much rather have 5 1/4” in the backbox over 4” any day.
I’ve just bought a virtually brand new LE and have the HD kit in the post.
Just interested to know what exactly the sound upgrade is.Thanks.

#729 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

that's not really my version of bringing your SE up to the same level as a RE.

The upgrades are to make the older MMR's nicer. Not make them into RE's.

#730 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

So the display/speaker “upgrade”, are they putting smaller backbox speakers (4”) in and putting the bigger 8” sub in?

Same upgraded speakers used on AFM LE and MB LE and MMR RE for backbox. Upgraded 8 inch Woofer.

Quoted from Lostcause:

Also does it come with a sub filter/crossover and an Lpad?

No.

#731 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

Just wondering what the purpose is of twisting those bumper wires together with the provided lamp cable? What does this actually do?

So the pop bumper lights that are still in there work.

#732 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

To be honest, the speakerlights that are not working like they do in a native RE, and now it appears that the bumper lights also do not change color, that's not really my version of bringing your SE up to the same level as a RE. And that is the impression that I got after seeing a preview video on YouTube. I get that you don't explicitly mention the small differences between a native RE and an upgraded SE because of marketing reasons, but this could have been done better. Just feeling a bit disapointed.

Agreed, I talked my friend out of buying a Royal because I thought the kit would make his LE the same. Should have just kept my mouth shut.

#733 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Agreed, I talked my friend out of buying a Royal because I thought the kit would make his LE the same. Should have just kept my mouth shut.

It is not all lost, give CGC some time and they may come up with a solution. Early days yet.

There are some switched on Pinsiders that may come up with something as well. I believe the color changing is on the additional PCB so I can see no reason why this cannot be extended to the speaker lights and anything else on the machine.

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I thought the kit would make his LE the same.

I knew the upgrade kits wouldn't make mine a royal.

If it wasn't the way this year has been with the shut down and restrictions. I would have looked into selling my game and buying a royal.

#735 3 years ago

It is not all lost, give CGC some time and they may come up with a solution. Early days yet.
There are some switched on Pinsiders that may come up with something as well. I believe the color changing is on the additional PCB so I can see no reason why this cannot be extended to the speaker lights and anything else on the machine.

I agree with this. I bet it will be a relatively easy and cheap upgrade to get speaker lights and bumpers to match the rgb. Wait for it.

#736 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Same upgraded speakers used on AFM LE and MB LE and MMR RE for backbox. Upgraded 8 inch Woofer.

No.

Thanks, don’t know what size backbox speakers they use but looking at pics probably 4”.

The difference in bass with a sub filter is huge in the lower cab but you need to balance it, otherwise it can be overkill.
Think I will make up my own custom speaker upgrade otherwise it will not match up to my original AFM and should sound a lot better anyway especially with the 5 1/4 backbox speakers and sub filter.

The upgrade looks good though.

#737 3 years ago

I forgot about this kit until I got an email
about sending money for it a few weeks ago. Too much stuff going on right now in my life - I decided I didn’t really need it at the moment. Now that I’m reading that it doesn’t perform as advertised, I’m glad I passed. My MMr is fine without this frivolous stuff.

#738 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I forgot about this kit until I got an email
about sending money for it a few weeks ago. Too much stuff going on right now in my life - I decided I didn’t really need it at the moment. Now that I’m reading that it doesn’t perform as advertised, I’m glad I passed. My MMr is fine without this frivolous stuff.

I'm beginning to feel the same way.....I might just buy the topper and call it good!

#739 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm beginning to feel the same way.....I might just buy the topper and call it good!

I considered selling my MMR and buying a MMR Royale, but decided against it since I thought the upgrades would make the MMR to be in par with the Royale (except for the armor color of course). Its nothing major with speaker lights and bumber lights, but nevertheless, its the general idea on how the upgrades were marketed. Seems a bit silly for CGC not including them in the upgrades - surely the missing parts to enable speaker and bumber lightning cannot be that expensive?

#740 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I cancelled the larger display/speaker upgrade. I'm just getting the topper and RGB lighting upgrades now.

#741 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Seems a bit silly for CGC not including them in the upgrades - surely the missing parts to enable speaker and bumber lightning cannot be that expensive?

It's not that CGC can't do it, but it would make a native RE a lot less exclusive. Why would you want to buy a RE if you can simply upgrade any MMR with the upgrade kits and have the same thing? It will probably have something to do with that.

#742 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

It's not that CGC can't do it, but it would make a native RE a lot less exclusive. Why would you want to buy a RE if you can simply upgrade any MMR with the upgrade kits and have the same thing? It will probably have something to do with that.

Not really.....They don't do it because it would be more expensive to buy all the upgrades versus just picking up the RE....u would need to purchase the color chip, display, topper, RBG lighting, and armor kit (they said they were selling it, but who really knows).

#743 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

Exclusivity is irrelevant...the point of MMR Royal is to make an MMR with the cool shit the later CGC games had for new buyers who didn't have one yet...and the point of the kit was to upgrade your existing one. It was never sold as a lesser performance option to Royal.

#744 3 years ago

Just a quick note for the folks in this thread - have a look at the MMR-thread. Apparently all that is needed for the RGB-lights on the speakers to work is some rewiring:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-owners-club-all-things-mmr-discussed/page/140#post-5793088

#745 3 years ago

From the MMr thread.

Thank you very much to the Pinsider who posted this in the MMr thread. If you purchased the XL screen and either the topper and or the rgb kit you get an additional board that drives the topper and the rgb lights. The speaker lights can be hooked up to the rgb board and will become color changing.

Looking forward to getting our RGB kit.

f3ff191baca12955376183eb4bdfc4f40d3b15cc.pdf (resized).jpgf3ff191baca12955376183eb4bdfc4f40d3b15cc.pdf (resized).jpg

#747 3 years ago

From the MMr thread.
Thank you very much to the Pinsider who posted this in the MMr thread. If you purchased the XL screen and either the topper and or the rgb kit you get an additional board that drives the topper and the rgb lights. The speaker lights can be hooked up to the rgb board and will become color changing.
[quoted image]

Its not surprising that someone came up with a solution to this problem. Whats surprising to me is CGC hasn't addressed this issue at any level. They are charging an arm and a leg for these upgrades so including a solution to this issue is just pure laziness.

#748 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its not surprising that someone came up with a solution to this problem. Whats surprising to me is CGC hasn't addressed this issue at any level. They are charging an arm and a leg for these upgrades so including a solution to this issue is just pure laziness.

Pinside is full of fantastic, capable, and very smart good people. That is why I am on this site. People come up with a solution and share it on Pinside.

I am sure CGC will come up with something as well, just give them some time.The kits have only just started coming out.

#749 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

sing prices in the marketplace is good. I personally deserve nothing. When I buy a machine, especially one that isn’t limited and can be produced in the future, it devalues. Yours is worth less because I can buy a new one for the same price. As to being the best game and worth it, well I love MM obviously but don’t agree with you. There are many who prefer AFM or MBR, or newer games.

Has anyone tried to install the upgraded display into an Attack From Mars Classic remake?

#750 3 years ago

From the MMr thread.
[quoted image]

Basically the pins were shipped in a connector. It appears that the four pins are push to seat and to remove them just entails using an appropriate pick to release a lock.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.