(Topic ID: 253689)

Sneak Peek - MMR XL DIsplay & RGB Controlled GI's!

By PPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 896 posts
  • 191 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B9524220-908C-4F87-97CD-1724BBE8B611 (resized).jpeg
745233d21df73ec3203f6fd0fc711758824a4857.jpeg (resized).jpg
WhatHappenedToThePrincess (resized).png
MMRTopperwiring (resized).jpg
Topper Install (resized).jpg
A996C2EE-265D-4B10-8CD1-7F13B857F453 (resized).jpeg
DAEF4422-8E4B-455A-B615-DAA4B76DF65C (resized).jpeg
9270E9FD-08D2-494C-84DA-172BA5DAE98A (resized).jpeg
8F29C924-2A53-414A-AFAE-F318C8B26DB1 (resized).jpeg
34CF75AE-01BD-47FB-8AFC-9DEC91A45EFC (resized).jpeg
3FA936FA-A657-48A3-B17D-657573EEFC96 (resized).jpeg
DSC00340 (resized).JPG
39B519CC-5D09-405F-8DA7-9B0B68E7D2C2.gif
62113227919__9018BBBB-0882-4FC0-B9A9-54EA39424BB6 (resized).JPG
shaker (resized).png
20200829_203433 (resized).jpg
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 18.
#651 3 years ago

They’re sending out another batch today. I got my shipping notice.

#652 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

They’re sending out another batch today. I got my shipping notice.

Thanks for the update.

2 weeks later
#653 3 years ago

Just got my XL display mod for MMr and all I get is this scrambled image any suggestions or is the unit defective?

20200615_194247 (resized).jpg20200615_194247 (resized).jpg
#654 3 years ago

Have they started shipping upgrade kits?

#655 3 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Just got my XL display mod for MMr and all I get is this scrambled image any suggestions or is the unit defective?

Do you have the latest software update in it ?

LTG : )

#656 3 years ago

did it come with a rom? when i had MMR i tried swapping in my MBR screen and got that.

#657 3 years ago

I didn't realize they started shipping kits!

#658 3 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

I didn't realize they started shipping kits!

Yes they are shipping but I did not get the RGB kit (that I ordered) and I can not believe we are expected to drill a 1" hole in the top of the back-box to feed cables through!

That said the instructions that come with the tipper are non-existent!

Thanks for the suggestions about firmware update I will do that and report back.

#659 3 years ago

Yes they are shipping but I did not get the RGB kit (that I ordered) and I can not believe we are expected to drill a 1" hole in the top of the back-box to feed cables through!
That said the instructions that come with the tipper are non-existent!
Thanks for the suggestions about firmware update I will do that and report back.

Doesn't your backbox come with about seven 1" holes in the back already? Would it be possible to temporarily remove the grate which covers those holes enough to feed your cables through?

Post pics of what you got with your topper and maybe one of us RE owners can assist you.

IMG_1207 (resized).jpgIMG_1207 (resized).jpgIMG_1208 (resized).jpgIMG_1208 (resized).jpg
#660 3 years ago
#661 3 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

Doesn't your backbox come with about seven 1" holes in the back already? Would it be possible to temporarily remove the grate which covers those holes enough to feed your cables through?
Post pics of what you got with your topper and maybe one of us RE owners can assist you.[quoted image][quoted image]

That is what I was thinking, thanks.

Also no instructions at all as to where to connect the topper from your photo I can see some cables go into the main board, but where does that red network cable go from the black box?

Cheers.

#662 3 years ago

Thanks folks v3 fixed the issue, doing topper tomorrow as I have to get a 38mm drill hole bit to make the hole in the top of the back-box to route the cables.

What can I do with the old MMr TFT screen? Can it be used in another game?
20200616_080646 (resized).jpg20200616_080646 (resized).jpg20200616_080715 (resized).jpg20200616_080715 (resized).jpg

#663 3 years ago

That is awesome help. Hopefully we will be changing ours over soon too.

#664 3 years ago

Thanks folks v3 fixed the issue, doing topper tomorrow as I have to get a 38mm drill hole bit to make the hole in the top of the back-box to route the cables.
What can I do with the old MMr TFT screen? Can it be used in another game?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the feedback.

#665 3 years ago

I’m interested in buying the old screen if anyone is selling.

#666 3 years ago

Also no instructions at all as to where to connect the topper from your photo I can see some cables go into the main board, but where does that red network cable go from the black box?

You can see it in his first picture. All the other connectors in his second picture. I copied with arrows to the ends.

MMRTopperkitwiring (resized).jpgMMRTopperkitwiring (resized).jpg
#667 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can see it in his first picture. All the other connectors in his second picture. I copied with arrows to the ends.
[quoted image]

Trouble is my back-box just has 1 tiny board in (the one to the left in the photo with the micro usb cable in it), also my topper kit came with just 1 red Cat5 cable....
So even if I did have the 2 red cat5 cables the boards I need to connect into I presume are elsewhere in my machine.
What is the top board in the photo? - Is that meant to come with the topper?

#668 3 years ago

Will this new kit work with the MMR? Thanks in advance.

#669 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlieNY:

Will this new kit work with the MMR? Thanks in advance.

Yes. That is what it was made for.

#670 3 years ago

Trouble is my back-box just has 1 tiny board in (the one to the left in the photo with the micro usb cable in it), also my topper kit came with just 1 red Cat5 cable....
So even if I did have the 2 red cat5 cables the boards I need to connect into I presume are elsewhere in my machine.
What is the top board in the photo? - Is that meant to come with the topper?

They haven't sent mine yet. So no idea.

Please go to - https://www.chicago-gaming.com/ under Support - Help Desk, open a ticket. It may go to me. I'll alert them to it.

Thank you,
Lloyd

#671 3 years ago

Something very fun showed up this week. Happy Fathers Day to me!

IMG_20200620_103545 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_103545 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_103600 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_103600 (resized).jpg
#672 3 years ago

Oh ya she's a beauty. Happy Fathers Day weekend!

IMG_20200620_142953 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_142953 (resized).jpg
#673 3 years ago

Does it have speaker lights like AFMr and MBr? They don’t seem to be working?

#674 3 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

Does it have speaker lights like AFMr and MBr? They don’t seem to be working?

Yes it does just just must not have been on that photo, they are all interactive on playfield, speaker lights and topper.

IMG_20200620_140027 (resized).jpgIMG_20200620_140027 (resized).jpg
#675 3 years ago

Looks Great! I ordered the upgrade kit for my LE, cant wait to get it!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#676 3 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

Looks Great! I ordered the upgrade kit for my LE, cant wait to get it!

When you say you ordered it do you mean your on their list or have u actually paid for the kit and their shipping soon?

#677 3 years ago

Great question, it was so long ago that I said I wanted it that I don’t know if it was an actual order or an interested list!

#678 3 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

Great question, it was so long ago that I said I wanted it that I don’t know if it was an actual order or an interested list!

sounds like were in the same boat....I've been on Planetary's list since last October, but haven been asked for payment ....

#679 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

sounds like were in the same boat....I've been on Planetary's list since last October, but haven been asked for payment ....

Same with my buddy. He hasn't heard a thing.

#680 3 years ago

I'm on the list

#681 3 years ago

Just got an email from PinballStar offering these. Wonder if he has these in stock...

#682 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just got an email from PinballStar offering these. Wonder if he has these in stock...

Read email carefully.

#683 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I doubt it....looks to me like their taking pre orders....I wouldn't pay for anything until people in the States are actually receiving these. I've been on Planetary's list since last October and they haven't requested payment yet, which probably means CGC isn't shipping.

#684 3 years ago

I would anticipate that these are going to be available in limited supplies and there are a lot of MMr's in need of XL displays! And I still haven't heard if they are limiting production of the topper? I mean, I used to think $600 was a lot for a topper until I saw Stern's POS Flat plastic Jurrasic Park topper

#685 3 years ago

Not in stock - but CG said we can start taking orders so hopefully not too far out... Hoping to get more info on that soon ! But at least it's getting close now it seems as they wind down on the Royals.

Medieval Madness Remake
ADD ONS - Order NOW !
Email Joe at [email protected]

Tell me MORE !
You can now turn your original MMR into more like a Royal Edition !
Available for the original run MMRs - Limited and Standard Editions
AND ALSO the more recently re-run Classic and Special Editions !

King of Payne Topper $ 600
The King of Payne has come to life and brought his trolls to assist him in guarding his domain. This custom 3D topper has been sculpted by one of the King’s personal sculptors and is available exclusively on the Royal Edition. It is nearly 8” tall and features integrated lighting that brings it to life on your quest to restore order in the kingdom.

HD Color Upgrade $ 400
All new full-color display artwork, re-imagined within the framework of the original Williams display artwork at four times the resolution. Over 2,000 frames have been painstakingly animated to create a display that features full color and four times the number of dots as the original Williams game.
No installation required - it's a just an SD card you insert into your game board in the backbox !

XL Display $ 650
Enhance your viewing experience with Chicago Gaming Company’s XL Display. The XL Display will really help bring your game larger than life with nearly 2x the display area ! AND Enhanced Sound Upgrade included !
NOTE : YOU MUST HAVE THE HD COLOR DISPLAY UPGRADE TO UTILIZE THE XL DISPLAY !
If you have one already, great ! If not, purchase that as well...

Interactive RGB General Illumination $ 250
For the first time ever, Medieval Madness has fully interactive RGB General Illumination. Medieval Madness Remake changes the general illumination of the playfield to enhance the playing experience. Watch as the dragon’s breath burns your playfield with a red glow, and as the trolls try to overpower you with green light.

What about AFMR and MBR ?
YUP, we got Color Display Upgrades for your AFMR CE and MBR CE too !

#686 3 years ago

Regarding the interactive RGB GI: can it be used for a first run MMr LE? How does it work, is it simply a chip? Are the LEDs installed compatible for RGB or do you need to swap them (however that would work)?

#687 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Regarding the interactive RGB GI: can it be used for a first run MMr LE? How does it work, is it simply a chip? Are the LEDs installed compatible for RGB or do you need to swap them (however that would work)?

Yes.

Quoted from Zora:

And how does this work? Is it just a chip?

New LEDs. Boards. Might be individual LEDs too if any spots need it.

#688 3 years ago

Would love to hear from someone here about the involvement of the RGB lighting kit upgrade. From the pictures I have seen, it looks like many of the playfield lights such as the castles that light up as you defeat bosses are still a single color? Is that a correct statement? Is this like, many of the lights on the playfield or are these strobe lights? I understand it is rather involved but doable if you work on your own machines.

The XL display looks like a no-brainer, just on the fence about the RGB kit. Last thing I want to do is screw something up!

#689 3 years ago
Quoted from CosmoJoe:

Would love to hear from someone here about the involvement of the RGB lighting kit upgrade.

I haven't heard of any out in the wild yet. I don't have one yet either.

4 weeks later
#690 3 years ago

I have a question regarding the speaker LED's on the new XL display.

I have the complete kit with the XL display, topper and GI RGB upgrade. So far I've only installed the XL display and new subwoofer. I've also updated to the latest firmware 3.0.0. I already have the color upgrade installed, so I didn't purchase that.

I've noticed that the speaker LED's only show the color blue now. My question is if the speaker LED's only change color when the topper and GI RGB upgrade are also installed? Or should they also change color when just the XL display, color upgrade, new subwoofer and new firmware are installed and nothing else?

I also checked the settings in the menu, and the speaker LED's are set to "interactive". Just hope that everything will work once I've also got the topper and GI RGB upgrade installed.

Thanks for any help.

#691 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

I've noticed that the speaker LED's only show the color blue now. My question is if the speaker LED's only change color when the topper and GI RGB upgrade are also installed?

I believe the RGB upgrade. They get merged onto a connector that goes to the RGB/Topper board.

#692 3 years ago
Quoted from KingCat78:

I have a question regarding the speaker LED's on the new XL display.
I have the complete kit with the XL display, topper and GI RGB upgrade. So far I've only installed the XL display and new subwoofer. I've also updated to the latest firmware 3.0.0. I already have the color upgrade installed, so I didn't purchase that.
I've noticed that the speaker LED's only show the color blue now. My question is if the speaker LED's only change color when the topper and GI RGB upgrade are also installed? Or should they also change color when just the XL display, color upgrade, new subwoofer and new firmware are installed and nothing else?
I also checked the settings in the menu, and the speaker LED's are set to "interactive". Just hope that everything will work once I've also got the topper and GI RGB upgrade installed.
Thanks for any help.

It reads there in the end of the manual that the speaker light adjustment only works for Special Edition and the Royal Edition, i.e. not for those that bought the upgrades. Now someone should make a mod to make that work also for us with the old LE or the Standard versions

#693 3 years ago

I am in line for an upgrade kit for my MMR-LE. Anyone care to share the installation instructions? I am curious to see how labor intensive it is (especially the RGB GI upgrade). Thanks!!

#694 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

It reads there in the end of the manual that the speaker light adjustment only works for Special Edition and the Royal Edition, i.e. not for those that bought the upgrades. Now someone should make a mod to make that work also for us with the old LE or the Standard versions

That is a bummer!!! I thought the upgrade kit was going to bring the old owners in line with the new machines.

#695 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

The manual is old and not updated.

The topper circuit board is included in the topper kit and RGB kit, which gives you the appropriate light show. Not included in the speaker/large display kit.

These upgrades will work on any model of MMR except the Royal which already has them.

#696 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

That is a bummer!!! I thought the upgrade kit was going to bring the old owners in line with the new machines.

Fear not. Not a bummer. Upgrade kits bring the old owners in line with the new machines.

#697 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Fear not. Not a bummer. Upgrade kits bring the old owners in line with the new machines.

Awesome! Thanks as always, LTG!

#698 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I am in line for an upgrade kit for my MMR-LE. Anyone care to share the installation instructions? I am curious to see how labor intensive it is (especially the RGB GI upgrade).

Instructions that will come with are well detailed and thorough. I've read through them and nothing hard. More a little time consuming. Kits come with drill or hole saw as needed.

Topper - mount topper board in the head. Lower head. Drill hole for cables and T-nuts, raise head, mount topper and hook up connectors..

Speaker panel and large display - Remove old install new. Some connectors to deal with.

RGB upgrade - remove old GI sockets and LEDs and cables, install new ones. Run cables from playfield and into the head. Connector to topper board, you'll need to swap a few wires from one connector to the other.

That is the basics.

#699 3 years ago

If I only put an order in for the GI, does that mean I need to order the topper as well to get the GI to work?

#700 3 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

If I only put an order in for the GI, does that mean I need to order the topper as well to get the GI to work?

No.

You need the topper board. Which is included in both the RGB kit and with the Topper kit. Not included with the big display/speaker kit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
There are 896 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-mmr-xl-display-amp-rgb-controlled-gi-s/page/14?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.