h-g-compare (resized).jpg
IMG_0203 (resized).JPG
RULES+BOOK (resized).png
alien art (resized).png
Screenshot_20170323-134244 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170323-134209 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170323-134333 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170323-134129 (resized).png
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 7 years ago

I have mixed feelings on it. What do you think?

wallpaper (resized).jpgwallpaper (resized).jpg

chest+with+shackles (resized).jpgchest+with+shackles (resized).jpg

upside+down (resized).jpgupside+down (resized).jpg

static1.squarespace.com (resized).jpgstatic1.squarespace.com (resized).jpg

chinese+lock (resized).jpgchinese+lock (resized).jpg

grill+detail (resized).jpggrill+detail (resized).jpg

elephant+cu (resized).jpgelephant+cu (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

My biggest gripes are the mixed styles of chains and the over-used highlighting done on some clip art.

#3 7 years ago

appears to be virtual/concept art?

Will be interesting to see what they come up with on the actual games at TPF.

I can say that going form ZombieYeti to this is not a good thing.

#4 7 years ago

MOAR LENS FLARE

#5 7 years ago

One more...

static1.squarespace.com (resized).jpgstatic1.squarespace.com (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

I prefer the original art. Too much CGI here.

Hand drawn always gets my vote.

#7 7 years ago

FUGLY

#8 7 years ago

For $7,000 I'd expect more elephants.

#9 7 years ago

Once more...

static2.squarespace.com (resized).jpgstatic2.squarespace.com (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

Dislike. Way too digital.

#11 7 years ago

Reminds me too much of late 90s computer games, both packaging and graphics. ZY art was much better...

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Reminds me too much of late 90s computer games, both packaging and graphics. ZY art was much better...

"Quake circa 1998" was how I literally just described it to someone else. Maybe it looks better as an entire package.

#13 7 years ago

The pinside peanut gallery can't even get the original artist on Houdini right. That pretty much sums up the comments.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

The pinside peanut gallery can't even get the original artist on Houdini right. That pretty much sums up the comments.

people are commenting that teh original Jpop artist was ZombieYeti. That style of hand drawn art is liked by many. To go form that art to this is quite the change.

It will be interesting to see what is on the actual games at TPF.

#15 7 years ago

Matt Andrews is the original Houdini artist, not ZY. I need to see the art in the context of the whole package before I can make any determinations on this.

#16 7 years ago

Sign me the fuck up!

#17 7 years ago

How anyone can form any final opinion on these pics is beyond me. Its a great first step...cannot wait to see a more complete project.

#19 7 years ago

The above could be comps, or early test images, or any number of things.

I'll reserve judgement until the machine is seen in person.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The above could be comps, or early test images, or any number of things.
I'll reserve judgement until the machine is seen in person.

Holding your breath?
I'll top that. Holding my breath under water!

#21 7 years ago

Artist's home page is here: http://www.jeffbuschcreative.com

Can't say I think this style will translate well to pinball.

#22 7 years ago

I'm not really digging what I'm seeing here, but I'll wait until I see the final product to make my decision. It still looks like it will look a million times better than most newer games before ghostbusters though.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Artist's home page is here: http://www.jeffbuschcreative.com
Can't say I think this style will translate well to pinball.

He did the art for several pinball games and I think most of it looks really good

#24 7 years ago

First, why are these pics enlarged beyond belief? Secondly, people were quick to criticize Aurich's work on Alien when first released and look how that game looks today, amazing! No need to get your panties in a wad just yet pinside.

#25 7 years ago

I really hope that's not art that is on the game. It's extremely cheap and is a bunch of clip art with Photoshop effects applied. Worse yet, they're the Photoshop effects that any real designer/artist would rather die than have in their portfolio. I'm not trying to just be mean, but using glowing edges effects and the like in your images are akin to using Comic Sans or Papyrus as your website font.

I hope it's just a collage of related images, not actual images on the game.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I was actually the artist on that project. Shame they scrapped it all.

#27 7 years ago

Who can really tell or judge anything from those pics. Looking forward to seeing the game in person tomorrow. I hope it has great art, but most of all I hope it's a good playing game.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Your art was gorgeous, Matt! Look forward to seeing your next project, be it in pinball or not.

#29 7 years ago

Small Samples of the art are never a good representation of the total art package coming forward. I Hope the total art package will be amazing, as the theme is awesome. I cannot wait to see the total package

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Sorry about that! Was parroting bad info...

#31 7 years ago

the style of the pieces in the art is conflicting. while some things look good other seem too generic like textures and gradients for the chain. not sure of the art direction. pieces dont really fit.

#32 7 years ago

That is laughable. That is easily some of the worst game art I have ever seen and that's including all the home brew stuff. I get that this is just a teaser, but usually you would tease some... really cool parts or something?

#33 7 years ago

Stop the madness!!!

Remove the garbage bag!!!

REMOVE THE GARBAGE BAG!!!

#34 7 years ago

Nope, nope, aaaaand nope.

#35 7 years ago

At this point in bm66 wasn't cat woman's head under a ramp? Let's wait and see.

#36 7 years ago

I remember that game Myst from 1993ish. That's what these pics are from, right?

#37 7 years ago

Makes total sense, you see a random, disconnected set of teaser images from the machine, that represent 1% of the art package and draw conclusions from it. Oh, wait, I forgot, I'm on pinside, continue on …

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Makes total sense, you see a random, disconnected set of teaser images from the machine, that represent 1% of the art package and draw conclusions from it. Oh, wait, I forgot, I'm on pinside, continue on …

When you zoom out from a poop covered corn nugget, you just get to see the whole pile....

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Rosh, the telling thing here is that he conpany still does not understand. DONT SHOW SMALL CRAPPY RESOLUTION TEASER PICS.

The fact that they even think this is a teaser shows where their head is at. The poor profreading on the website and flyer futher show the rushed nature and lack of professionalism. You would think they learned a bit about controlling the message and not to sent the food out of the kitchen till its cooked.

Nonbody can really judge the art till they see the whole game and fully populated, but we can judge the roll out of the controlled message.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

So those are assets directly from the machine? Are they final?

#41 7 years ago

I'm not the marketing guy, but seems to be working, look how much interest and attention it is getting leading up to the reveal.

At the end of the day some are going to love it and some are going to hate it, just like the playfield design, sounds, animations, rules, etc. in other words, just like every other machine in existence.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm not the marketing guy, but seems to be working, look how much interest and attention it is getting leading up to the reveal.
At the end of the day some are going to love it and some are going to hate it, just like the playfield design, sounds, animations, rules, etc. in other words, just like every other machine in existence.

if bad press is good press, then I guess they are doing a great job?

I am of the mindset that you put your best foot forward or just wait.

#43 7 years ago

I think it looks cool as $%&. Thank God it's not a comic book character or rock band pin.

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago

Other companies like Heighway had their cards forced and had to show the Alien artwork incomplete because the game was so delayed. In this case they had the option of waiting TWO DAYS and showing their complete vision and saving the criticisms.

Alternatively, they could have REVEALED THE ENTIRE GAME TODAY and had all of Pinside talking about their game before the weekend crunch and competition for news and dollars.

Instead we get the Myst screen captures. If this is their strategy, then.... congratulations?

#45 7 years ago

Everybody just simmer down a little bit. I have probably been one of the most excited about the concept of this title but it is way too early to rush to judgment on anything yet. We will see what they unveil tomorrow. At the end of the day, AP has a bunch of very smart, very tested industry talent and this is their opportunity to deliver. Let's give them that shot.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

"Quake circa 1998" .

Up voted for mention of Quake

quakec (resized).jpgquakec (resized).jpg

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I think it looks cool as $%&. Thank God it's not a comic book character or rock band pin.

that does look pretty cool. Can we get some closer up photos?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

If you were the artist, why didn't American Pinball give you credit at pinball expo and announce your name when showing playfield and seminar? I think the question was asked 2 or 4 times durring the seminar and American pinball did not have a name or answer. Just want to know why no mention of you? I do like your work.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that does look pretty cool. Can we get some closer up photos?

That pic appears to be the old art.

I'm not a fan of the new style... just looks like a game with muddled textures and slightly too high gamma setting. Why didn't they keep the original art package?

#50 7 years ago

It's from American's FB page.... I like it. Who knows what we'll actually see though.

14440771_1319501138074728_1412938910670500914_n (resized).jpg14440771_1319501138074728_1412938910670500914_n (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peek-at-houdini-artthoughts/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.