(Topic ID: 112889)

Sneak Peak of new TZ Diverter Gate MOD...

By Modman

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SKULL 001.JPG
SKULL 011-144.JPG
SKULL 023-215.JPG
SKULL 025-469.JPG
SKULL 033-457.JPG
SKULL 011-657.JPG
SKULL 041-823.JPG
SKULL 030-407.JPG
SKULL 005-391.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Been working on my version of the "Ugly Diverter Gate" solution for the Twilight Zone. Based on a CNC machined aluminum cap, it screws on under the weldment (No drilling or wiring required) and uses Red,White,and Blue LED's that are "shock-activated." When the gate rejects the ball,the eyes go into a fast blink mode that lasts for about ten seconds then self cancels until the next ball triggers it. Powered by three watch batteries that are easily replaceable, I've yet to burn them out after many hours of play.
Check back for a video of it in action so you can get a better idea how it looks, probably in a few days.

SKULL 005-391.JPGSKULL 005-391.JPG SKULL 030-407.JPGSKULL 030-407.JPG SKULL 041-823.JPGSKULL 041-823.JPG SKULL 011-657.JPGSKULL 011-657.JPG SKULL 025-469.JPGSKULL 025-469.JPG SKULL 033-457.JPGSKULL 033-457.JPG SKULL 023-215.JPGSKULL 023-215.JPG
#2 9 years ago

Nice work. Do show a video when you can.

#3 9 years ago

Milling bottom side with pockets to relieve weight. SKULL 011-144.JPGSKULL 011-144.JPGSKULL 001.JPGSKULL 001.JPG

VIDEO on YOUTUBE...

#4 9 years ago

That is pretty sweet. When is it going to be for sale

#5 9 years ago

I think it's neat but it stays on way too long. I think it should shut off as soon as it goes back to upright releasing the ball.

#6 9 years ago

Looks nice. Might give it a try when it's for sale.

#7 9 years ago

it's nice, but does it fix the ball bounce back problem?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

What he said.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The magnet mod available on line or apparently at Home Depot works great for the bounce out issue.

#10 9 years ago

Don't have any control as to how long the LED's stay on. It's all done by the circuitry it was designed for the original application. They were meant to go on bicycle valve stems activated by the bumps in the road. I have to set them up in the lathe and cut them down to fit. They seem to be pretty tough so "when the bullet hits the bone" they don't fail.
Sorry to say I don't see it doing much for the bounce out problem...
I plan on selling a few as soon as I get some more machined out,but I don't want to release too many until I'm satisfied they'll fit all the machines. Hopefully they stamped out all the diverter gates the same size as my machine's gate. I'll need some feedback from you guys buying the first ones on this,providing they sell...With the holidays coming on, it will take me a few more days of machining out some bases. Price with shipping around $110.00. Pretty reasonable. That's the beauty of computer controlled machinery. The first one's a bitch, but once it's programmed the rest come a lot quicker.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

The magnet mod available on line or apparently at Home Depot works great for the bounce out issue.

Sometimes. I've experimented with many magnets over the years. If it's too weak, the ball bounces back upstream anyway. If it's too strong, the ball sticks to the inside of the basket. It's a PIA to really figure out. The best solution, would be for someone to make the metal ramp 1/2 " higher. Bend the wireform up slightly just by the edge of the basket/diverter. This would produce more incline and solve the problem 100%. But might make the metal ramp shot a lot different and completely change gameplay.

You know, you could build in a magnet into your design. If you find the "sweet spot" magnet to use. just build it in and it will solve the problem for anyone that buys your mod. People that have the magnet already, this mod might not work and slide over their magnets they have installed.

#12 9 years ago

Yeah,that could happen...and what about all the others that already have the decal installed...More than likely, I'd have to open up the bottom some more. Anybody have a shot of their magnate installed?

7 months later
#13 8 years ago

Hey Modman - any progress of this great mod?
Cheers,
Ken

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sneak-peak-of-new-tz-diverter-gate-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.