(Topic ID: 186546)

SMVE - Playfield Swap Question

By phlach

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Due to the insert ghosting/clearcoat issue on my new SMVE, Stern sent me a box to send them back my populated playfield. When they receive it, they will send me the replacement.

This is probably a question for them, but since they are closed and I wanted to get this pulled this weekend, I'm hoping someone here may know.

I'm fairly new to pins. I was expecting there to be molex connectors somewhere in the cabinet for the wiring bundles that come from the playfield, so I could just disconnect and pull the playfield in a matter of minutes. It appears, however, that most of the wiring goes straight from the playfield, and up into the backbox, then off in a million directions to the various PCBs, with no molex connectors in between. It seems my only option is to disconnect all the zip ties so I can disconnect them from the PCBs in the backbox. Does that sound right?

#2 7 years ago

Yes you need to remove the connectors carefully from the PCB's. I am not sure you need to cut any zip ties but you will know once inside. If you don't need to cut a tie then don't.

#3 7 years ago

Make sure you label all the connectors and write what you labeled down on a piece of paper so you know exactly what you disconnected, where it goes and you put them ALL back on. A little extra time disconnecting can potentially save you a lot of time when putting it back together.

#4 7 years ago

You can't label the plugs because you won't be getting the same stuff back. I think stern is just sending people all new populated PFs and not swapping Their used stuff over to a new one. All I can think of is to take a pic of the board with all the plugs still plugged in and take a pick of each plug as you pull it off right near where it came at off the board and maybe label it first. I never did a swap on a Stern.

#5 7 years ago

Take lots of pictures. I swapped a TWD playfield last year and it took a while to disconnect all the connectors- I went slow and took pictures. Also there are a few spots in the base cabinet that will need some connectors disconnected too. Its much easier to put in the replacment and it goes a lot quicker imo.

good luck.

#6 7 years ago

Don't you think Stern would send the replacement playfield first and then you send them the old one?

#7 7 years ago

And if he don't send the old one back...???!..........Joey

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

And if he don't send the old one back...???!..........Joey

My understanding was that warranty repairs like this were billed to the distributer and if you didn't send the part back they would be billed. So I was told when stern replaced the CPU on my Metallica.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks all. It went well (as some suggested, I just took my time, took pictures, etc). It's now in the hands of UPS.

My distributor was fairly useless, but Stern was great. They have my new playfield ready to ship, and will do so as soon as they receive the old one. My understanding from others who went through the swap is that typical turn around time is 10 to 14 days, which makes sense given UPS ground shipping each way. I'm going through withdrawal (it's my first and so far only pin), but it will be nice to get a brand spankin new playfield. The other one had 6 months of HEAVY use while I waited for the replacement. The rubber was starting to show wear and one of the plastics had a crack.

2 months later
#10 6 years ago

I'm in the process of a spiderman playfield swap. I got the box already.

The box came with no instructions. Can anyone chime in on how they went about doing the swap.

Did you have to pull all the connectors off all the boards.

There are many connectors in the cabinet and many wires that go directly from the playfield to the back box.

Did you have to cut the cable ties on the black tubes or just include all the wires?

If you have done a SMVE swap and can help let me know.

Thanks Martin

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smve-playfield-swap-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.