Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fosaisu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

#1 3 years ago

I always thought that things were being blown out of proportion a little with this current situation so I wanted to look at how CV compares to other problems in our society.

A simple google search shows that about 500,000 people die each year in the US due to smoking related complications.
    There are an estimated 34 million smokers in the US

In 5 years, there will be 2.5 million deaths due to smoking or just over 7% of the smoking population.

Meanwhile the current estimated mortality rate of Covid is estimated to be in the range of 0.5% (this number varies, but is definitely less than 1%).

So what does that mean....

If every person in the US were to get CV19, we would expect it to kill about 1.6 million people... the same number of people as smoking kills in 3 years.

Or put another way....

A smoker who does not have CV19 is 14 times more likely to die in the next 5 years due to smoking related issues, than an infected non-smoker has of dying due to CV19.

I find those statistics very sobering and helps puts things in perspective.

#2 3 years ago

Is smoking-related death now contagious?

Nobody told me this!!!

Are apples now oranges???

Why are they keeping this info from me???!!!

Makes you wonder.

IBTL

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Second hand smoke.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Nobody told me this!!!
    Makes you wonder.
    IBTL

How dare you question the facts!? https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/general_facts/index.htm

#7 3 years ago

It's MUCH safer to just stay home.

#8 3 years ago

Here we go.............................

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Nobody told me this!!!
    Makes you wonder.
    IBTL

That is about the dumbest comment I've ever read....

Lives are lives regardless of whether they die of a contagious disease or something else. What these have in common is that both deaths are preventable.

... please don't get the intention of my initial post wrong... I'm not trying to downplay Corona, just putting things in perspective.

#10 3 years ago

If I was given the choice of Covid or I smoke for one-year I would take covid in a second. I know covid has become somewhat of a religion around here and it is sacrilegious to question (people really get defensive as if it were their child) but based on what I'm seeing that is my choice.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

If I was given the choice of Covid or I smoke for one-year I would take covid in a second. I know covid has become somewhat of a religion around here and it is sacrilegious to question (people really get defensive as if it were their child) but based on what I'm seeing that is my choice.

That's my point (and why I looked in to this).... My wife's best friend is so paranoid about getting the Rona that he will only drive with the windows closed, and only if it's an absolute emergency.... the same guy is a chain smoker who has multiple DUI's.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

That's my point (and why I looked in to this).... My wife's best friend is so paranoid about getting the Rona that he will only drive with the windows closed, and only if it's an absolute emergency.... the same guy is a chain smoker who has multiple DUI's.

Good point, Coronavirus lockdown is probably saving lives on the DUI front as well.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smoking-vs-the-coronavirus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.