Emmy_bathroom.jpg
imagejpeg955.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg
068.JPG
009 (2).JPG
009.JPG
Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

This topic is closed.

There are 410 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
#351 9 years ago

Believe it or not you might be surprised at how many people you know do smoke it and keep their opinion about it in the closet. Thats the way its always been. They know how you feel about it so they keep their mouth shut in your presence. Even if asked they would deny it. Darn near everyone in the country knows a relative/friend who smokes and can get it for them. Even in states where people have medical cards for it many legal users still stay under the radar among their friends and family.
Its kinda weird when you think about it because nobody makes a secret out of having prescriptions for codeine or vicodin. And they are both much more addictive. Maybe things will change someday.

#352 9 years ago

Saw lots of guys smoke MJ during my fraternity days in the early 1970's. It never appealed to me, probably because cigarettes didn't and riding in a car with cigarette smoke made me sick. Did my share of drinking, but seldom irresponsible.

I respect people who do 'these things' as long as they don't harm others. I simply don't want ANY smoke in my home. I think it stinks. I'm' not 'for' or 'against' any of you guys smoking dope, cigarettes or drinking. To each his own.

MJ seems to be going the wayside here, of all places! It sure is GROWN a lot here. In 'good circles' in this town (3rd largest in KY) you just don't see it (or smell it! Ha!). Probably a 'young people' thing. You also don't see many pins here, and 40 years ago they were everywhere!

Mike in Kentucky

#353 9 years ago

IMG_1070.JPGIMG_1070.JPG IMG_1566.JPGIMG_1566.JPG IMG_1579.JPGIMG_1579.JPG
#354 9 years ago

I smoked a lot of weed back in the day. In fact I smoked so much weed the zig zag man had a tattoo of me on his arm. 8)Fast forward 20 plus years and I have a different stance. I honestly don't think it's very healthy, but the biggest problem I have with pot is that it kills ambition. Yes, there are exceptions and I know not everyone is in their mother's basements playing Call of Duty in their underwear. Time does crazy things I guess. Or perhaps I'm in a different place now with a career, mortgage, and two young sons.

#355 9 years ago

Weed was never my thing, I simply prefer beer. Everyone's different. Nothing at all against anyone who does it, and I'm all for legalizing it -- alcohol (my drug of choice) is certainly far more dangerous. I'd be a hypocrite if i were againt legalizing pot.

#356 9 years ago
Quoted from Chris_james0:

I smoked a lot of weed back in the day. In fact I smoked so much weed the zig zag man had a tattoo of me on his arm. 8)Fast forward 20 plus years and I have a different stance. I honestly don't think it's very healthy, but the biggest problem I have with pot is that it kills ambition. Yes, there are exceptions and I know not everyone is in their mother's basements playing Call of Duty in their underwear. Time does crazy things I guess. Or perhaps I'm in a different place now with a career, mortgage, and two young sons.

But it expands creativity!

#357 9 years ago

It is a beautiful plant.

imagesQJ2VFF8E.jpgimagesQJ2VFF8E.jpg

#358 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I am a square living in pleasantville. LOL. To think that 7/10 people smoke weed seems mind boggling to me. Crazy. Heck ,I know people that still have dial up and flip phones... they would not even know where to find weed.
Around here, in my circle of people, it MAY be 1 in 100... or 1 in 200 or so. Maybe more.
To see so many people openly, unashamedly, happily talking about being pot smokers seems... odd to me. But dont mind me... I live in a happy bubble where people dont do such things. lol.
But maybe the other bubble is happier. lol!

I don't think you should make assumptions like that. There's a small, but very vocal minority here making a lot of noise in this thread. There are a couple of reasons for this. First off, the last weed thread here was locked way earlier than this one so far. For whatever reasons, this thread is being allowed to continue. The smokers are enjoying this and it shows. Secondly, technically weed is still illegal in this country, yet enforcement is almost nonexistent in most areas. Talking about doing something illegal on the internet from the safety of your basement is both fun and easy. Remember that pinball too used to have illegal overtones.

Until recently I played regularly in one of the oldest leagues in the country here in the bay area (Cal). I'd say less than half of the regular members are smokers. Maybe 30-40%. This about matches opinion polls here which suggest slightly more than 50% of folks are in favor of legalization. That doesn't mean 50% are smokers, just that 50% feel it shouldn't be against the law. The number of smokers in the collector community are about the same as the smokers in the general population. Definitely less than 50%.

So don't worry. You're not outnumbered. Twenty years from now it will definitely be a different story though, so enjoy it while you can.

#359 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

For whatever reasons, this thread is being allowed to continue.

Guess because it has been a civil and interesting discussion so far.

#360 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Guess because it has been a civil and interesting discussion so far.

Funny too. I'm sure there are more than a few here that would prefer it be locked. I'm glad it hasn't been. Folks are going to need to get used to it. The tide is definitely turning. If it hasn't reached your port yet, it will soon.

#361 9 years ago

Man I prefer beer with pinball instead of smoking pot ...

#362 9 years ago

I'm a beer guy, but my pinball skill (what little of it there is) goes right out the window after my first sip. I just lose all concentration, and become Mr. "ohhh.. look at the blinky lights!" guy.....

#363 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I'm a beer guy, but my pinball skill (what little of it there is) goes right out the window after my first sip. I just lose all concentration, and become Mr. "ohhh.. look at the blinky lights!" guy.....

Yeah, if I am in serious play forget about the drink. At parties I often see my flipper go up right after the ball passes it. What they say about "slows your reaction time" is 100% true.

#364 9 years ago

I think the title should be Smoking Marijuana and Buying pins. That's what this forum seems to do hand in hand.

#365 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I am a square living in pleasantville. LOL. To think that 7/10 people smoke weed seems mind boggling to me. Crazy. Heck ,I know people that still have dial up and flip phones... they would not even know where to find weed.
Around here, in my circle of people, it MAY be 1 in 100... or 1 in 200 or so. Maybe more.
To see so many people openly, unashamedly, happily talking about being pot smokers seems... odd to me. But dont mind me... I live in a happy bubble where people dont do such things. lol.
But maybe the other bubble is happier. lol!

You are completely oblivious. MMJ isn't in 20 and recreational in 2 because of a minority.

This is a good opportunity for a little introspection. Would you tell a guy like you (i.e. thinks it is shameful) that you do it? The answer is no, but that is changing in most states already. Because you live in TX is is double dangerous.

Trust me, like everywhere else in the US, a decent % of the population smokes or eats weed occasionally (a much smaller % are regular smokers) but they sure as hell are not going to be public about it in a place like TX or around some guy that obviously thinks badly about it and the people that do it. What would be the benefit of letting some whack ass guy know who already likes attention? He may call the cops on you because he finds out you are eating a brownie.

Makes me wonder why you even really started this thread. Is this so you can find out who likes medicine or pot so you can then feel you are better than them (i.e. again the shameful shit)?

#366 9 years ago

This thread is too serious!

hey-kids-.pnghey-kids-.png

Some say mj brings out the creativity in people and that may be true, but sometimes that creativity only benefits themselves.

13008693111programmer.jpg13008693111programmer.jpg

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You are completely oblivious. MMJ isn't in 20 and recreational in 2 because of a minority.
This is a good opportunity for a little introspection. Would you tell a guy like you (i.e. thinks it is shameful) that you do it? The answer is no, but that is changing in most states already. Because you live in TX is is double dangerous.
Trust me, like everywhere else in the US, a decent % of the population smokes or eats weed occasionally (a much smaller % are regular smokers) but they sure as hell are not going to be public about it in a place like TX or around some guy that obviously thinks badly about it and the people that do it. What would be the benefit of letting some whack ass guy know who already likes attention? He may call the cops on you because he finds out you are eating a brownie.
Makes me wonder why you even really started this thread. Is this so you can find out who likes medicine or pot so you can then feel you are better than them (i.e. again the shameful shit)?

You nailed it!

Went to a wedding not to long ago. Some guy brought some smoke and was asking who is interested in joining. The general answer of most guests was "no way, of course not".
We joined him outside and after 15 minutes the word had gotten around and A LOT of people joined us. All of them had declined when asked directly, but came strolling outside with that greedy look and asking if they could join in.

It's something most people do, but it's nothing you go bragging about.

#368 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Believe it or not you might be surprised at how many people you know do smoke it and keep their opinion about it in the closet.

This is so true. When I used to smoke and would offer it to folks that I suspected might be receptive, I often got the reply that...

"I would rather smoke weed than drink, but it's illegal, so no thanks. I'll just stick with my alcohol"

I mean a LOT of people that don't smoke would trade in their Budweiser for some smoke.

More importantly to the point of legalization is the fact that prohibition HAS NOT WORKED.

I haven't done that in quite some time, yet I could go buy some today with no problem. Those who wish to, do so for the most part. As I said above, some choose not to due to the law, but it's not like buying it is difficult.

Is it really worth it to create an entire class of criminals out of people that are doing something less harmful than other LEGAL activities? It has so many negative social consequences it's not funny.

Myself, I'm pro freedom...Pro:
Gun
Choice
Smoking (tobacco)
Gay Marriage
etc, etc, etc. (I don't do most of these. )

Leave people alone!

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." T. Jeferson.

p.s. Does this site support italics somehow? I'm not yelling...just want some text to stand out as more important to my point.

#369 9 years ago

I'd be really curious about pricing. Or is that to taboo? What about in the legal markets? What about the black markets? I don't sell, but I do buy.

1/8=$25-&40. 1/4=$50-$70. 1/2=$100-$120. Oz=$180-$220.

If governments want to legalize and tax the product, then prices will need to fall in line with the current market.

BUT, if I knew that my taxed money was going toward social programs and not toward organized criminals I'd pay a premimum.

#370 9 years ago

Remember when those cigar bars were all the rage. I would have to go to them with clients and they were just the worst. That dense brown cloud you had to part like a curtain. Smells that never come out of your clothes. Red eyes for days.

I'd rather take a cross country road trip in the middle seat of an '85 Volvo wagon surrounded by teenagers puffing the skunkiest waxy buds than be forced to go to a cigar bar again.

#371 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Man, what? LOL!!

You think I'm against it? You think I think it's shameful? You think I think it's bad?

I never said that once!!!! LOL!!

You must have been skimming my posts or reading them with a pair of shades on. I believe ALL DRUGS should be legal, and people should be held accountable for the ACTIONS when they affect people other than themselves. To date a "pot smoker" has never, ever done anything wrong to me or negatively impacted my life. And then there were my times in college... lol

My point with this thread which keeps trying to get railed is simple: do a larger percentage of pinball collectors owners and players smoke weed than the general public?

I was told that I am the odd man out for not, which insinuated at the time that "most pinball people" smoke and play. You guys took it even further and said "most of all people" smoke which is bewildering to me, since I see and hang out with hundreds of people and the topic is never brought up. Ever.

No lie, the last time I was "offered pot" was at the Chicago pinball expo 2013: true story! Maybe the rumor is true! Who knows!

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Having said that, I have no particular reason or need to seek it out.

#372 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Man, what? LOL!!
You think I'm against it? You think I think it's shameful? You think I think it's bad?
I never said that once!!!! LOL!!

the below word usage made it sound like you think it is a shameful/bad thing

Quoted from Jared:

To see so many people openly, unashamedly, happily talking about being pot smokers seems... odd to me. . lol!

glad to hear this is not as it sounded.
Try a brownie in small amounts sometime and see what you think. You may enjoy it? If you go into it with the plan to see what it is all about you make like the result or atleast walk away with a more open perspective.

#373 9 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I'd be really curious about pricing. Or is that to taboo? What about in the legal markets? What about the black markets? I don't sell, but I do buy.
1/8=$25-&40. 1/4=$50-$70. 1/2=$100-$120. Oz=$180-$220.
If governments want to legalize and tax the product, then prices will need to fall in line with the current market.
BUT, if I knew that my taxed money was going toward social programs and not toward organized criminals I'd pay a premimum.

I can compare to the Netherlands

Like you can see on a picture in a previous post, coffee-shops normaly have menu-cards with all the variety's you can pick. Going from 5 Euro to 12 Euro a gram. White Widow Insomnia and Haze beeing the most popular.
If you don't mind what you are smoking .... you can also take 3 rolled joints for 5 Euro. (in there are the crums, left over from all the different batches they sell )

Buying on the streets, the quality differs immensly..... but why should you ? if you are over 18, many buy it in the shop, where the quality is great, and you don't need to worry to get ripped

#374 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

the below word usage made it sound like you think it is a shameful/bad thing

glad to hear this is not as it sounded.
Try a brownie in small amounts sometime and see what you think. You may enjoy it? If you go into it with the plan to see what it is all about you make like the result or atleast walk away with a more open perspective.

Oh... You think I've never tried it before...

I have several corporate level sponsorships so I can't be black and white here. But I can say I'm a lot more cultured than I let off.

My fascination is only in A: pinball people apparently being power/above average users, and B: the fact that people here are completely open about it. At least some of them.

Party on Garth!

#375 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

reminds me of the lyrics to the NoFX song "you drink you drive you spill":

This is OT but reminded me of this time in high school where we had an assignment in English class where we had to memorize a poem and recite it. My friend forgot about it until the day we had to do it (actually probably due to weed, so I guess it is on topic) so he recited the lyrics to Murder the Government since he already knew them. Cracked me the hell up. He said "who the F are you" in place of all the swears. Was hard not to laugh.

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Oh... You think I've never tried it before...
I have several corporate level sponsorships so I can't be black and white here. But I can say I'm a lot more cultured than I let off.
My fascination is only in A: pinball people apparently being power/above average users, and B: the fact that people here are completely open about it. At least some of them.
Party on Garth!

To answer the original question... It depends on where you live and the circles you travel in.

In general terms pinheads and pot are pretty closely mirrored to general population. If anything, I have found that location players enjoy it a bit more than collectors.

In opposition to what others think, I can pick at least 15 out of the top 100 IFPA ranked players that enjoy a little here and there. I would guess the actual number is closer to 30% which is pretty similar to general population. You can crack the top 100 while high. I think it is miore about the state of mind you train in = the state of mind you compete in.

There are a few local guys that play WAY better after a few cocktails (then way worse after a few too many). Likely works the same with MMJ.

#377 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There are a few local guys that play WAY better after a few cocktails (then way worse after a few too many). Likely works the same with MMJ.

In competetive pinball one of the biggest problems are the nerves. Anything that relaxes you can improve your playing, especially if you are easily influenced by competition pressure.

#378 9 years ago

Ganja only makes you stupid if you want it to....like say after a ten hour work day.

It can motivate you, help you get housework done in record time.

It can help ease any nerves or aches and pains.

It can make you smile, feel euphoric and positive.

And it can help you with intense focus for pinball when needed.

It doesn't make you want to fight. It doesn't give you a hangover, it doesn't make you a sloppy out of control version of yourself.

And it certainly doesn't make you regret the poor decisions that you made the night before that everyone keeps filling you in on.

#379 9 years ago

The first rule of Pot-Smoking Pinball Club is you do not talk about Pot-Smoking Pinball Club.

#380 9 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Ganja only makes you stupid if you want it to....like say after a ten hour work day.
It can motivate you, help you get housework done in record time.
It can help ease any nerves or aches and pains.
It can make you smile, feel euphoric and positive.
And it can help you with intense focus for pinball when needed.
It doesn't make you want to fight. It doesn't give you a hangover, it doesn't make you a sloppy out of control version of yourself.
And it certainly doesn't make you regret the poor decisions that you made the night before that everyone keeps filling you in on.

Great post, well said!

#381 9 years ago

Saw this in one of my news feeds today. Thought it was pretty funny.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/afroman-releases-because-i-got-high-remake-to-support-pot-legalization-20141015

He has a motorized couch. I want to hang out with Afroman.

#382 9 years ago

Ha! Chris Granner just outed Eugene Jarvis as a smoker in his talk at expo. The Wms defender sounds were produced under the influence.

#383 9 years ago

Ok, page 8 now and no thred on the NEW Cheech N Chong's Up in Smoke Pinball Machine! ???

#384 9 years ago

I don't smoke pot, but I know a lot of players that do. I get into a euphoric state just playing pinball.

Quoted from Jared:

Lemme just start off by saying that I believe you should be able to do whatever you wish to do to yourself in the privacy of your own home so long as it does not affect other people.
When at the 2013 Pinball Expo last year in Chicago, I got into a conversation with some cool pinball folks from Southern California on the bus to the Stern Tour. At some point they asked me if "I smoked" before I played. I laughed and told them no. They seemed shocked. "Seriously? Everyone smokes pot before they play pinball man!". I laughed again. "No, not everyone" I said. I thought back to all the pinball parties and events I had attended in the DFW area... and no one was stoned. Well... if they were I had no idea. lol
I thought about this a while... what if everyone else really IS smoking pot and playing pinball! What if I am the weird one! Nah... they are from California... pot is like beef jerky there... everyone eats it and anyone can get it. I dont know. lol
So a day or two later, a pinside member (I wont say who) and cool guy comes up to me at EXPO that evening and offers me a joint. Totally different guy on than on the bus. I laughed again.. and I was thinking to myself "woah did this guy really smuggle weed on a plane?". I politely declined. It got really funny when said member then walked outside of the hotel where many people were shivering smoking cigars or cigarettes and smoked a big ol' joint right there in plain view. Maybe I was the only one who knew or noticed... but the guy smoking it was totally relaxed... you would have thought he had a special license to smoke it or something.
So now I had encountered "several" pinball players who smoke pot, the first 2 told me that "their entire pinball league" back home smokes before they play. Hey... that's their business.
My question here for pinside:Is smoking weed before/while playing pinball really as common as was reported?
If it some huge secret "we don't talk about it but everyone knows it" kind of deal?. I mean, look at some of the art of pinball and I think its kind of obvious that some of the designers were on drugs at some point.. LOL!

#385 9 years ago

Sir Scott hit it on the head. The first rule of PSPC is you don't talk about PSPC. I suspect those that are in the club play by the rules and therefore this club is bigger than we think.

#386 9 years ago

I'll just leave this right here...

Some things about the "pinball playing scene" are still the same. Some are not.

What's different today the "the pinball playing scene" happens more in the 5,000 sq/ft homes located in gated subdivisions than in public places, where the potheads would have once been far more in the majority. Today's scene is probably more diverse, and probably mostly non-potheads. But obviously there are some of us from the old school that are still left.

(clip from the greatest high school movie ever made, and would absolutely be on my must-buy-list if a pinball game were announced, oddly enough it was set in Texas)

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

I'll just leave this right here...
» YouTube video
Some things about the "pinball playing scene" are still the same. Some are not.
What's different today the "the pinball playing scene" happens more in the 5,000 sq/ft homes located in gated subdivisions than in public places, where the potheads would have once been far more in the majority. Today's scene is probably more diverse, and probably mostly non-potheads. But obviously there are some of us from the old school that are still left.
(clip from the greatest high school movie ever made, and would absolutely be on my must-buy-list if a pinball game were announced, oddly enough it was set in Texas)

what movie is that?

#388 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

what movie is that?

Dazed & Confused. A classic.

#389 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Dazed & Confused. A classic.

That was always on my list but I never got around to watching it. That game hall set is awesome.

#390 9 years ago

That scene from Dazed and Confused is exactly how it was. We had a place just like that called Big Johns, but it was bigger. In fact the whole movie represents what high school was like in the mid 70s. At least what I remember.

#391 9 years ago

Be wise, vaporize!

#392 9 years ago

Love hitting the volcano and I aint talking Congo!

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Love hitting the volcano and I aint talking Congo!

lulz

#394 9 years ago

http://arizer.com I prefer my V-tower
image-60.jpgimage-60.jpg

#395 9 years ago

People are free to do what they want stick a needle in your arm, smoke pot, drink beer just don't use it as excuse for bad behaviour and don't expect society to take pitty on you. Excuses like aholes everyone got one.

Me I think beer and pinball is great would not be happy about the pot thing at one of my meets.

#396 9 years ago
Quoted from nasco62:

People are free to do what they want stick a needle in your arm, smoke pot, drink beer just don't use it as excuse for bad behaviour and don't expect society to take pitty on you. Excuses like aholes everyone got one.
Me I think beer and pinball is great would not be happy about the pot thing at one of my meets.

Someone has been watching too much reefer madness

#397 9 years ago

I smoke two joints before I play pinball, and then I smoke two more.

#398 9 years ago
Quoted from nasco62:

This is the kind of rhetoric my 80 year old gramps would use. Congratulations.

#399 9 years ago

A wise man once said, "Winner's don't do drugs, unless they are pinball performance enhancing drugs..."

#400 9 years ago

Sublime. Two joints

I smoke two joints in the morning, I smoke two joints at night
I smoke two joints in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright
I smoke two joints in time of peace and two in time of war
I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more

Daddy he once told me, "Son, you be hard workin' man"
And momma she once told me, "Son, you do the best you can"
Then one day I met a man, He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine, But first take care of head"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 210.00
15,000 (OBO)
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 410 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smoking-marijuana-and-pinball-players/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.