Emmy_bathroom.jpg
imagejpeg955.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg
068.JPG
009 (2).JPG
009.JPG
Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

This topic is closed.

There are 410 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
#51 9 years ago

House rules trump all. I don't let anyone smoke cigarettes at my place, even though they're legal.
(Though I wouldn't have an issue if they did so outside)
Still, this thread is not about whether you have the right to smoke at someone else's place. The OP just wanted to know how common it is.
I have a tough enough time keeping up with a fast moving pinball with all my senses at 100%. A beer or two never hurts (or maybe it does and I don't notice), but weed certainly wouldn't help my reflexes any.

#52 9 years ago

I have never and will never smoke pot and I don't drink either. So not everyone does it I am also a crappy pinball player so take that for what it's worth LOL.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I live in California and have never smoked pot

We don't call it that anymore.

#54 9 years ago

I've found if I smoke I also like to drink.

So the moral of the story is; I smoke, I drink and I play pinball. I personally think I am in the minority around here though.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Both of my brothers are police officers. One is a chief of police, and the other was on the K-9 unit and still has his extremely well-trained Belgian Malinois that lives to sniff out drugs.
Since all will generally show up at my parties, it is extremely ill-advised to bring drugs...even in brownies.

The idea here is that the brownie is consumed before going to your house; nothing is being brought with them (unless the dog wants to sniff down someone's throat)

Quoted from pmWolf:

I'm not trying to get preachy here, I'm just saying that we should all be considerate with what we bring into somebody else's house.

So is there any way to say "I think you're still being preachy" without getting ejected??

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Totally agree. There are a few home collections here that do not allow alcohol in for personal reasons. The understanding here is "Their house, their rules". Never seen anyone be disrespectful of that.

Agree with this as well, NEVER bring something unwanted to someone's home. Cincypinball has at lease one "dry" location and there's no problem whatsoever. But, people will still drink before and after visits to this house (no one ever gets sloppily drunk).

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We don't call it that anymore.

Yep, around here we call it either "medicine" or "performance enhancing drugs".

#58 9 years ago

Oh yeah, now I remember why I don't even let people in my gameroom. lol (Not that there are any near me anyway...)

So what's even worse than a 'square?' I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs ever. If I'm feeling particularly adventuresome, I'll get out my Margarator and make a root beer icee. The one night I "partied hard" at home with one small pre-mixed alcoholic slushy drink, I promptly fell asleep 10 minutes later and slept for 9 hours straight. To each their own, but I've never been comfortable around people drinking and don't want them in my home. And I fully realize that I'm in the vast minority here.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

So a day or two later, a pinside member (I wont say who) and cool guy comes up to me at EXPO that evening and offers me a joint. Totally different guy on than on the bus. I laughed again.. and I was thinking to myself "woah did this guy really smuggle weed on a plane?

Depending on where you're flying from, it's not necessarily smuggling any more. If you're leaving a state where weed is legal medicinally or outright, they don't look for it any more. And if they find it, they don't take it. If you wanted to, you could jump on a plane to CO right now, score a nice bag of Girl Scout Cookie, then fly back home.

Here in the bay area, there are more smokers than drinkers. Alcohol affects your game and makes it hard to go to work the next day. Weed doesn't. Among my fishing buddies, there is a larger percentage of drinkers and about same amount of smokers. Fishing drunk is generally easier than playing pinball drunk. Out in public, it really is everywhere. As long as you're not smoking around kids, I'm fine with that.

Quoted from pmWolf:

It's not for me, and I would hope that people that visit my house are smart enough, and courteous enough to keep it away.
Pete

It's obviously common courtesy not to smoke in someone's house. That goes unsaid. But if you live in a state where it's legal, don't be surprised if someone with a doctor's note sparks up on the patio. I've seen folks surprised like this. Hard to get mad at someone who has a note from their doctor.

Quoted from PW79:

Let's be real, how many percocets are used in a recreational manner? Lots. I don't mean eat a pill & black out with a spider monkey... I mean sit on couch after work, grill some chicken, drink a beer, eat a Vicodin & watch Ancient Aliens before bed. That's how most weed is smoked. On the deck or patio, not a dead end alley in East St. Louis or on a plaid couch with a 6ft bong of stale smoke.

Spousal abuse rates and prescription drug overdoses have dropped significantly in Colorado since weed was legalized. That's a fact. People are dumping prescription drugs for weed.

#60 9 years ago

Some of my guests have left small containers when they come over to play. They are welcome back anytime.

#61 9 years ago

most players i know smoke up and enjoy playing, some even love playing on lsd! the horror!

#62 9 years ago

It's extremely common to mix the two here in Colorado. In fact, I'm more surprised when it *doesn't* come up during a night of pinball playing.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I've found if I smoke I also like to drink.
So the moral of the story is; I smoke, I drink and I play pinball. I personally think I am in the minority around here though.

Come to the bars in St Pete to play some pinball and I think you will find you're definetely not in the minority :p

#64 9 years ago

I don't do that anymore.

But back in the day, I recall that just a little made me play better, and a little more helped me really enjoy sucking.

Weed is WAY more mainstream than many people think, but it's underground due to the price of getting caught.

Pinball is my antidrug...

Quoted from PW79:

I mean sit on couch after work, grill some chicken, drink a beer, eat a Vicodin & watch Ancient Aliens before bed. That's how most weed is smoked.

So true. Just like a scotch double...only better.

#65 9 years ago

It's decriminalized here in GR and I'd say a fair number of the league use herbal gameplay enhancement.

#66 9 years ago

To each their own. Even though pot is legal here my poison is still whiskey.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Both of my brothers are police officers. One is a chief of police, and the other was on the K-9 unit and still has his extremely well-trained Belgian Malinois that lives to sniff out drugs.
Since all will generally show up at my parties, it is extremely ill-advised to bring drugs...even in brownies.
Also, as a common courtesy, I would hope that you would all know to keep illegal substances away from residences where it is not welcome. The last thing I need is for my place of employment to find out that I had a party where a lot of people got hauled off for possession of illegal drugs. I don't want it around me, and I don't want it in my house...
Your beliefs on if something should be legal or illegal are irrelevant in that case. It is currently illegal, and I'm not about to risk my career because someone just HAS to bring it to play pinball effectively.
I'm not trying to get preachy here, I'm just saying that we should all be considerate with what we bring into somebody else's house.
Pete

But, since it is in fact legal with a prescription here in MI, does it still bother you/them? That is to say, as long as someone has a legal prescription and brought a brownie (or whatever) to your place, does it still bother you?

#68 9 years ago

At my parties, I've set up a courtesy screen tent out on the other end of the house well away from the rest of the party goers. I let one smoker know it's there, and what it's for. The word gets around quickly, and that's where the activity stays.

It's never been a problem. I don't smoke myself, have no issues with anyone who does.

#69 9 years ago

60 percent of the pinheads I know smoke pot, the other 40 percent are out!

But 80 percent of the time half the pinheads I know don't play pinball very well!

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I have never and will never smoke pot and I don't drink either. So not everyone does it I am also a crappy pinball player so take that for what it's worth LOL.

No wonder you're so cranky all of the time.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I've set up a courtesy screen tent out on the other end of the house well away from the rest of the party goers.

I have something similar.
fast_times.jpgfast_times.jpg

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Oh yeah, now I remember why I don't even let people in my gameroom. lol (Not that there are any near me anyway...)
So what's even worse than a 'square?' I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs ever. If I'm feeling particularly adventuresome, I'll get out my Margarator and make a root beer icee. The one night I "partied hard" at home with one small pre-mixed alcoholic slushy drink, I promptly fell asleep 10 minutes later and slept for 9 hours straight. To each their own, but I've never been comfortable around people drinking and don't want them in my home. And I fully realize that I'm in the vast minority here.

I've never done any of those things either. But since 95% of the general population does - refusing to be anywhere near it is closing you off from a *lot* of social experiences and potential friendships.

If it's really "to each their own", why does someone else having a drink make you uncomfortable?

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

It's extremely common to mix the two here in Colorado. In fact, I'm more surprised when it *doesn't* come up during a night of pinball playing.

Out here, the vape pipes are very popular. If you put honey oil or shatter in one, it doesn't smell like weed when you smoke it. At league, folks will step outside between games and take a hit or two. I saw an article saying high school kids are doing this inside classrooms now. We even have vape bars here now. Very trendy.

So just because you don't smell weed doesn't mean folks aren't getting high. Check their eyes real close to know for sure. d

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

So is there any way to say "I think you're still being preachy" without getting ejected??

I think "preachy" is more along the lines of me telling you that you're all sinners for using it, or telling you that you are ruining your lives, or something super-judgmental.

I merely said that it wasn't for me, and I hoped that people would respect that and not try to bring it into my home.

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

That is to say, as long as someone has a legal prescription and brought a brownie (or whatever) to your place, does it still bother you?

Yes, as I said...it's a house rule. Same reason why I don't want people to smoke cigarettes in my house, and those are very legal.

Oh yeah...and pants. You have to wear those. (Lookin' at you, Centerflank...).

Pete

#75 9 years ago

With the virus that's going around right now, red-eye is not necessarily a good measurement..

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You're being very naive by stereotyping pot as "California thing"
1.) I live in California and have never smoked pot

You also give out more thumbs down here than most anyone else and often get in heated exchanges. Honestly don't mean to be a smart ass, but if anyone was ever in need of a bong hit, it's you.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I think "preachy" is more along the lines of me telling you that you're all sinners for using it, or telling you that you are ruining your lives, or something super-judgmental.

I merely said that it wasn't for me, and I hoped that people would respect that and not try to bring it into my home.

You're right.. you had a very forceful attitude but the only subject was about your house, and I agree with you, not worth the legal risk at all. Curious, if the state and feds finally decriminalize it, would you treat it like cigs or still ban it completely from your property?

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Curious, if the state and feds finally decriminalize it, would you treat it like cigs or still ban it completely from your property?

Again, that's more of a personal preference for me...I'm just not comfortable around it.

I'm not judging any of you that use it...and I'm not trying to say that it is the worst thing on the planet. It's just not for me, and I'd rather not be around it if I can help it.

(And, in my own home, I can make that rule).

Pete

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I've never done any of those things either. But since 95% of the general population does - refusing to be anywhere near it is closing you off from a *lot* of social experiences and potential friendships.
If it's really "to each their own", why does someone else having a drink make you uncomfortable?

I was mostly joking about the letting people in my gameroom, because there are literally no pinheads around me for 2 hours in any direction and I've already whined extensively on here about having nobody to play with. I'm jealous of you all who have friends over and have parties, because it's just me playing pins by myself. I'm not refusing to be around people... there are no people to even be around. lol

I never met my uncle because he died of asphyxiation before I was ever born. Got drunk, got in his car, started it, forgot to put the garage door up, and died before anyone knew where he was. Therefore my father (it was his brother) and his whole family never get near alcohol. On my mom's side is a predisposition to addition, so she never got near it. I grew up with it being something bad. My husband doesn't drink as a personal choice and because of all the migraine meds he is on. My sister was a bartender and almost raped by 2 drunk guys once, and I was cornered and almost attacked by a drunk after a large music concert when I was 15. I'm also a control freak. Add that all up and you've got one nervous chick.

Now if someone had a private party that I attended and there were people that I knew and they were drinking, that's fine. I don't care what they do as long as they're respectful of me not drinking and don't try to force me, because if nothing else I can just leave if I get uncomfortable. Hence the "to each his own." I'm fully aware that it's my quirk and that most people aren't going to get stupid drunk and attack me, but the nervousness is still there, so I just don't put myself into a situation where the nervousness outweighs any potential fun.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I'm not judging any of you that use it...and I'm not trying to say that it is the worst thing on the planet. It's just not for me, and I'd rather not be around it if I can help it.

Sounds good. I'm the same way with cigarettes.. secondhand smoke give me a nasty headache and I try to avoid them. Come to think of it, I don't know of a single local pinhead that smokes cigs.... definitely fewer than those who 420

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I was mostly joking about the letting people in my gameroom, because there are literally no pinheads around me for 2 hours in any direction and I've already whined extensively on here about having nobody to play with. I'm jealous of you all who have friends over and have parties, because it's just me playing pins by myself. I'm not refusing to be around people... there are no people to even be around. lol
I never met my uncle because he died of asphyxiation before I was ever born. Got drunk, got in his car, started it, forgot to put the garage door up, and died before anyone knew where he was. Therefore my father (it was his brother) and his whole family never get near alcohol. On my mom's side is a predisposition to addition, so she never got near it. I grew up with it being something bad. My husband doesn't drink as a personal choice and because of all the migraine meds he is on. My sister was a bartender and almost raped by 2 drunk guys once, and I was cornered and almost attacked by a drunk after a large music concert when I was 15. I'm also a control freak. Add that all up and you've got one nervous chick.
Now if someone had a private party that I attended and there were people that I knew and they were drinking, that's fine. I don't care what they do as long as they're respectful of me not drinking and don't try to force me, because if nothing else I can just leave if I get uncomfortable. Hence the "to each his own." I'm fully aware that it's my quirk and that most people aren't going to get stupid drunk and attack me, but the nervousness is still there, so I just don't put myself into a situation where the nervousness outweighs any potential fun.

Wow - thanks for the thorough response. Sad to hear you have so many personal experiences to be (rightfully) uncomfortable.

#82 9 years ago

Legalize and tax it already.....jeez.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

No wonder you're so cranky all of the time.

Actually I was going to say the same thing about you You have to be high most of the time to make the comments you post here

#84 9 years ago

Pinball and marijuana? I tried it once but I didn't plunge.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I have never and will never smoke pot

Never say never....just saying.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Also, as a common courtesy, I would hope that you would all know to keep illegal substances away from residences where it is not welcome.

This.

I got no problem enjoying some bong hits before playing pinball. It's completely different to bring something illegal to a friends house without asking first. Even though smoking pot is generally acceptable these days, it's still illegal and some jobs still drug test.

That said, if anyone wants to smoke before playing, I'll take an invite.

#87 9 years ago

Pete, if I am ever invited over I promise to not bring any brownies (MMJ or straight), but I can't make any promises on pants. I really enjoy wearing my jorts along with my mullet wig.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I still hang out with people who don't drink/smoke/whatever. Everyone is cool in their own right, and I wouldn't ever disrespect someone for wanting to be sober.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Never say never....just saying.

If i wan't to keep my career then yes never Checked regularly.

#91 9 years ago

Thank god I don't have a career.

#92 9 years ago

I'm thankful to have one where creativity is encouraged, not stifled

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Whatever! I enjoy a drink and a toke, but my pinball playing suffers..I do get wrapped up in the music and it does make for a fuller experience for sure. Some people dont know what they are missing out on!

#94 9 years ago

Nice user name !

#95 9 years ago

I am shocked at the amount of marijuana use in correlation with pinball. Much like the guys on the bus told me at EXPO last year... its more odd to them they I DONT smoke than it is to me that they DO.

If this thread is not proof... well... what is? It seems like more than half... maybe even a majority of pinball players at multiple ages smoke the ganja while or before playing. Party on.

As I said in the original post, I think people should be free to make their own decisions for themselves.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Given how many extremely caustic items you work with I'm not sure I can argue that point. Some jobs really should just be zero tolerance regardless of legality.

#97 9 years ago

I think this depends on where you are, what age you are, and who you run with.

I play in a league weekly and pot isn't really brought up. Some league players drink, some don't. As far as bringing it into someone's home? I mean that depends. Here in New England if someone came into your house concealed carrying a weapon, that might be not so kosher. In some parts of the United States, that's not as big a deal if at all. Same with pot. If you live on the coasts, or in higher density urban population centers, it's more prevalent, and more accepted. If you grew up in the bible belt, probably not nearly as much. If you are visiting someone's house you go by their rules the best you can, and the best you know of them, I think everyone agrees with that.

Having said that, I don't think its crazy someone offered or asked you if you wanted to smoke pot before playing. I offered my neighbor, who I had known for 2 weeks, a cool microbrewed beer that I learned about from VT. I was trying to be neighborly, the guy and his family were really nice to my wife and I when we moved in. He told me he hadn't had a drink in 10 years, had quit due to personal reasons, etc. He wasn't offended, and I know not to offer him one again

I've tried pot, but it didn't really do anything for me.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

95% of drug test are for THC.
Try a CBD strain like Sour Tsunami you'll pass the test.

Just saying...

image-222.jpgimage-222.jpg
#99 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I am shocked at the amount of marijuana use in correlation with pinball.

Damn, next thing you know jazz musicians will be using the stuff.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

95% of drug test are for THC.
Try a CBD strain like Sour Tsunami you'll pass the test.
Just saying...

image-222.jpg 146 KB

and my back pain melts away! Best pain reliever by far!!!!!!

of course I only use medicine when in legal places.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 210.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 13,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 410 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smoking-marijuana-and-pinball-players/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.