3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swedishc
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

renuzit-aroma-adjustables-airfreshner-super-odor-eliminator-7-oz_1626786_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

So I feel I saved a higher end machine from a smoker. I got the game home and have cleaned the outside and the cigarette smoke residue off the outside decals and everything I could get scrubbed. For this I used a product called Zero Odor spray.
    having a hell of a time getting rid of the smell on the inside. I have tried the baking soda boxes with the screens and pass thru. I am trying a product called gonzo. It is lava rock and says it will remove the odor. been in there about 3 days. still smells just as bad.
    Does anyone have any other products that they have used that has worked in getting out the smell from a machine?
    magicchiz

#2 3 years ago

For cat urine stench I doused the inside with Febreeze. That worked pretty well, IMO.

Maybe rub it down with a fabric softener sheet(s)?

#3 3 years ago

my demo man was the same, and honestly it just takes time and I think I used 1 twist open air freshener open inside the cabinet until it depleted and I then used a second. it worked, but took some time.

#4 3 years ago

I am not wanting to just cover up the smell.
    magicchiz

#5 3 years ago

Have you tried placing a pan of charcoal in there?

#6 3 years ago

just did this with hs2...2 boxes of baking soda opened in cabinet...remove glass...raise playfield...takes 1 week then no odor at all
    I also cleaned the cab with a degreaser that also listed smoke residue...and vacuumed the cab

#7 3 years ago

Try Ozium

#8 3 years ago

if you were super serious, get a ionizer (spelling?). it is what hotels use in rooms that have been smoked in, works great. if you could find a small enough one that you could put in the cab for a couple days?

#9 3 years ago

Easy, put the machine outside for awhile like you would your jacket after a Friday night at the bar. The fresh air will take care of that smoky smell.

In all seriousness, I've heard you can use a small box of charcoal to alleviate odors... Good luck.

#10 3 years ago

I have looked into ionizer/ozone. but am very worried about electronic damage with ozone and ionizer. I may try charcoal. what is a ona block?

The gonzo bag was suppose to be close to the charcoal.

Magicchiz

#11 3 years ago

You can get this on Amazon:

http://wrap-on.com/product/odors-away-dropper-bottle/

A few drops on a cotton ball. Place it in a bowl inside the machine. Refresh this every few days til the smell goes away. Doesn't leave a residual smell....

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

my demo man was the same, and honestly it just takes time and I think I used 1 twist open air freshener open inside the cabinet until it depleted and I then used a second. it worked, but took some time.

That's what I have done in the past too. After a thorough cleaning, I place one of the "Super Odor Eliminator" air fresheners rather than one of the fruity smelling ones inside the cabinet until it is used up to get rid of any trace of smoke. It doesn't just cover it up temporarily. After a few weeks the odor is eliminated permanently.

renuzit-aroma-adjustables-airfreshner-super-odor-eliminator-7-oz_1626786_(resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago

I got my Spiderman from the local pinball retail store after they had a warehouse fire. They brought in an ionizer and it worked great for them, with no electronic damage at all. Of course they had a big booth set up, so I'm not sure if there is a smaller option that works differently.

For my Spiderman, I just opened it up and let it air out for a few days, then cleaned it really well on the inside/outside of the cabinet with standard Clorox spray and put a fridge box of baking soda in there for like a month. You can't even tell it was in a fire now, other than the big scorch down the cabinet side.

#14 3 years ago

I used an ozone machine on my first pin. It worked great at eliminating the smoke smell. I doubt the short time you would use to deodorize the machine will have any ill effects.

#15 3 years ago

I've had several pins that came out of bars when they allowed smoking. Clean everything you can ( I use black magic whitewall cleaner) and let it stand open for as long as it takes.

P.S. the whitewall cleaner contains bleach and will remove smoke, cigarette tar and most obnoxious smells.

#16 3 years ago

Another vote for the ozone generator.

I rented one at my local rental place. I placed it in the machine, lowered the pf, put the glass on, and let it run overnight (in the garage, as you shouldn't be around it for long periods of time). The smoke smell was gone, and no damage to electronics. The only thing that did happen was it disintegrated all of the rubbers. But I planned on replacing anyways, so no big deal.

#17 3 years ago

Take up smoking, no more smoke smell(to you) on machine.

#18 3 years ago

I've used trays of cat litter with some success. If it's really bad you could rent an ozone generator and try that. It's something I'm going to do one of these days for a couple of really musty smelling machines that I just can't get the odor out of.

#19 3 years ago

Use this. kills the chemical that is the smell. works perfectly on car interiors or anything

http://www.vamooseproducts.com/

#20 3 years ago

Also recommend an ozone machine ... There's a highly rated one on amazon for under $100, I have a similar unit. Works great. Wouldn't worry about electronics... But rubber parts may need replacing.

#21 3 years ago

I agree with bhwolf, an ozone machine is what pros use to get rid of smoke smell. Just be careful not to use it in a totally enclosed space, it can be deadly.

You can rent one if you don't want to buy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    $ 40.00
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.95
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside