Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

08BE3783-BCF2-4D42-A3FF-1E5DE883933E (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

SMB (Gottlieb, System 3) switch issue.

When the Left Pop Bumper is activated during a game, it activates the Cave Target (“Top Spot Targets” switch) which awards a coin. If the pop bumper continues to be activitated, it awards an extra ball. This shouldn’t happen.

I did a switch test on the Left Pop Bumper and the Cave Targets and they do not activate each other like they do during a game. You press the pop bumper switch and only the pop bumper switch shows that it is activated.

I also thought maybe the vibration of a pop bumper would be strong/violent enough to close the cave switches near by, but the other pop bumpers (that are next to the left bumper) do not activate it, and I replaced the cave targets (with brand new targets) and made sure they were gapped properly. The left pop bumper, when activiated, is also very consistent with activating the cave target. It’s not just “sometimes” activated. It is consistent.

I looked at the switch matrix and they aren’t sharing a column or a row. How can one activate the other?

Any ideas or things I am missing? I’m more familiar with EMs. Thank you!

08BE3783-BCF2-4D42-A3FF-1E5DE883933E (resized).jpeg08BE3783-BCF2-4D42-A3FF-1E5DE883933E (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

If you draw a rectangle through the switches that are behaving oddly the other two corners of the rectangle are switches 022 and 111. Check those two for proper operation during switch test and check the diodes on all four of them.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you draw a rectangle through the switches that are behaving oddly the other two corners of the rectangle are switches 022 and 111. Check those two for proper operation during switch test and check the diodes on all four of them.

Thank you! I’ll try that and report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smb-switch-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.