troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statsdoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#968 9 years ago

It seems to me that the only practical solution to Smaug is to surround him with mountains. I think it is clear that the mechanism is not going to change, so this is only a matter of scenery to make it look good. I am not as disappointed with the peek-a-boo Smaug as some, but it does currently look really awkward.

That said, has anyone figured out how the balls get to the very leftmost straight-line wireform? I am thinking this plays a role in the "interaction" of Smaug.

The book, IMHO, is another matter. I cannot see the justification for the distinctly-sized targets under it unless there is something above that signifies their importance. The book may determine, more than anything, whether I stay in.

#978 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Agreed. With only 2 months to go the Smaug mech isn't going to change. My guess is that we'll likely see the Hobbit Book swapped out for something better and Matt might create some plastic mountains to wrap around the ramps at the back of the game to make the Smaug "Rock" blend in better and fill out the playfield a bit more. It's too late in the game for any drastic changes. The fact that the game flyer doesn't include any playfield images is a good sign that there will likely be some cosmetic improvements/changes before the game is released. As far as major gameplay elements go I think the game is complete other than code.

My concern with additional changes is that they would be listed on the game flyer. I would seriously doubt that JJP would release the flyer and have it not include major items (like an LED screen) that are yet to be revealed. JJP employees on this site point to the things in the flyer that are not yet shown on the playfield, but nothing in the flyer indicates anything about a small LED screen (which would certainly be touted in a flyer). I think the best we can hope for on the book is that it is replaced by other better static "artwork". I just don't know if a change will help, or if the book is even changeable at this point.

#991 9 years ago

Jack just verified that the book was a placeholder in the pin on the JJP Google group. That is great to hear. I look forward to seeing what takes its place. Note that he seemed to indicate that the book would be put elsewhere in the pin. I am great with that as the book looks good ... just not in its current position. I hope whatever takes the book's place it more interactive and not just static.

#1011 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

It was always a placeholder. There have been 2 areas kept super secret until now, Smaug and Shire area, two prominent areas. Smaug, was what we expected to be (at least it was Smaug) but the book was obviously never intended to be the final object there. Seriously, what sense would that make. It was literally a bookmark.

If they were trying to keep this area ultra-secret, then replacing the book with another piece of static art would be seriously disappointing. You keep things secret because they are important and game-changing. I am hopeful that this is the case, regardless of whether it is an LCD screen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statsdoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaug-toy-revealed?tu=statsdoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.