troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#175 9 years ago

How unbelievably juvenile. Grow up dude.

Enough with the troll comments in general. Holy hell.

#461 9 years ago

If JPop had not brought empty cabinets to expo, jjp would have been my biggest expo disappointment. They swung and missed. Period. It doesn't mean they are a bad company but this is a huge step back from the loaded Woz. Huge let down. I don't see how it can be viewed any other way.

#471 9 years ago

I got to play hobbit this morning with no line. Smaug is underwhelming on all levels. Game as a whole is a huge step back from Woz. For those buying hobbit thinking they are getting a similar level to Woz will be greatly disappointed. I can't tell if the empty cab on display is decals or direct print. If it is decals, then holy shit, they are gorgeous. The way all cab decals should be.

#584 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

The pf is not wide open when the pop-ups come into play. Seems there will always be haters no matter what a maker does, Too cluttered, too open no flow, too much flow? Whatever. This game will rock, no doubt in my mind. It will be deeper than anything to date with more player and machine control than anything ever made. Some say "cheap" looking others who saw it in person say "stunning". Why not reserve judgement until it's a finished product? It already has better bones than anything we have ever seen. More sophisticated interfaces, controls, diagnostics, adjustments. It's really short sighted to pass judgement on an incomplete game isn't it?

Haters? Did you read this whole thread? It is being universally panned by most everyone that has played it. Have you played it? I have and it is fundamentally lacking in numerous core areas.

#588 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Nobody has played TH but many have flipped the hardware a bit. The code is not close to done. The vids I saw were more like demo mode.

Alright man, a few thing are evident by your last two posts, mostly that you are being naive or you are intentionally trying to be argumentative.

First you state the playfield isn't open because of the pop ups. Thats a very weak argument.
Then you say you haven't played it. Better yet, you say no one has either. That is akin to the "I know you are but what am I" argument. Code has shit to do with game geometry, physics and core components/hardware choices. All are seriously lacking.

Stop with the grade school rebuttals. We're all adults here.

#611 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wtf does that mean, let's get specific? Same exact thing was said about Woz.
Btw, i agree that a whole lot looks disjointed, and Smaug is disappointing to say the least

If I have to explain game physics and geometry we have bigger issues.

Examples: ramps too far back. Clumsy whale tail diverter, pops an after thought in the game. The game is literaly shooting stand up target banks on the left/right/back perimeter. Orbit is a bad shot with a entrance too far to the left (have to play from the flipper tip) imo. Very limited shots.

Need any more?

Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah you did screw up there John, can we get anybody that has actually played TH at expo that has anything positive to say about it?
The reviews seem overwhelming but what I'd really like to know is does TH look noticeably "cheap" sitting next to Woz? I mean give us an honest opinion, basher or not. That tell me all I need to know.

Honest answer, it looks cheapened down. Not in quality of components but in scope and toys. It's almost like jjp said holy shit we took a bath on Woz, no way we can dump that much money in to a game at that price point and stay afloat. I'm not saying that's the case but that how it feels to me. I guess woz's success is coming back to hurt them when judged against it. I'm not hating on jjp but to see hobbit as anything but a step back is naive. Call it the sophomore slump.

#619 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Like everyone, I had high hopes for Smaug and was somewhat let down it wasn't as "cool" as it was built up in my expectations. For me the disappointment in Smaug was more than offset by the promise of an epic deep ruleset.
I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of upgraded cabinet decals though I feel they should be included on the early buyer LEs in lieu of the promised direct print that got nixed.
The SE Smaug option reveal was a bonus. It may seem to skeptics the limited time offer of an alternate color scheme and art (at no cost to JJP) is a marketing ploy to add $500 to the LE but it's nice to have options and it is being provided free to existing LE buyers, so that's nice. There is some JJP investment in the SE too. It did cost at least something to create and will add a little overhead in production to track production variations & alternate attract software for this version.
So all in all I'm happy with what I see so far.
As for expectations going forward. I expect the software in the end to be nothing short of epic. TSPP and LOTR on steroids with added effects we have seen on WoZ like programmed flipper modes (ex: reverse, no hold, maybe a couple more like delayed, battle weary weakening, inverse control? something..)
The Shire was kept secret too long for the book to be the big reveal there so I am expecting another surprise there.
I am not expecting but am hoping a topper will be included as well.
If It turns out like I am expecting, I'll be satisfied, If it it turns out like I'm hoping I'll be thrilled.

Now that's a post I can respect. I'm glad your excited for it. Btw, the cabinet decals on the empty cabinet they were showing were out f'ing standing. The new standard that all cabs should hope to be.

Quoted from iceman44:

That was my biggest concern, Jack trying to make back up what he blew on Woz
Thus, I'll be pulling out of this one for now, thanks for the honest review!

You're not the only one coming to that conclusion.

N/P man. I soo wanted this to be wozesque.

#620 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's the most impressive thing I've seen in the videos on Hobbit thus far.

Agreed. The ball lock video sequence is nothing short of stunning. High def clarity.

#649 9 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

What bar has WOOLY set ?

Bringing a functioning game to market without customer financing would be at the top of my list. Instead of, "here's our idea, give us money and we'll build it." Wooly said, "I'll build an example, if you like it, show me the money and I'll build more."

#739 9 years ago

LE isn't going to change how the ball exits the pops between the well walker and ball guide.

#801 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Me too...I'm going to get $hit on by all the TBL fans, but I think that bowling alley is going to suck after playing it 50 times. '$' pun intended.

Its hard. Not like other cannons that you can learn the timing of it. Very satisfying when you get a strike.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Everything else seemed pretty awesome on TBL though I think they are being cut more slack than Stern or JJP gets. Rolling rug broke down, car crash wall broke, software crashed a few times (due to too many sounds getting played at once?)...wolves would be picking the bones clean of Stern or JJP if that happened to them.

How many games do you think those preproduction games got in 3 days? That is exactly what they needed to see; what needs tweaked when under stress. The only issue I saw was the subway from the upper playfield and that was only a real problem on one of the three at expo. I was told it was a known issue and that there is already a revision in the works. I never witnessed the other broken items you mentioned and I was there from wednesday evening until Sunday morning. What DP has done in exactly one year is out standing.

#874 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Smaug™ will interact with the ball. Maybe not shooting in his mouth but he will two ways - Much criticism of WOZ during the process. Many things not fully seen or understood until implemented months later.
This time around I feel that there is much more positive criticism that the hope and expectation can be met. This is a very far reaching game with what is in it. Things done before and things never done before in some balance.
Your mind's dream is hard to beat or meet in reality, but I say that the game is not done yet. We listen and have more to do. The rules alone will make this game. BUT the mechanics and electronics have to be there too.
The action button was not even on the Expo game. We only had one rule for it so why show anything? At IAAPA and beyond, much more is shown and known.
We can and will do better. Thanks!

Classy response. Kudos!

#891 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I had a customer today say Pinside would have bitched if Smaug came alive flew down the playfield, ate the ball off the playfield, etc... I laughed, he gets it...

Look, I know you're a distributor and you need to carry the water for the products you represent but I find the statement,"I laughed, he gets it",unbelievably condescending. So we don't get it? If pinside is so unreasonable why do vendors and manufacturers frequent the place? Oh, thats right. Pinside is where a large portion of the rabid fans with disposable income hang out.

#1022 9 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

This was from his post on the JJP forums..
We just completed a very constructive Team Meeting on The Hobbit. The entire Team participated and reviewed the major items in the game that we can make changes to - positive changes that will have an immediate effect of the look, feel, play and Fun Factor of the game.
I can say that this was a four hour meeting and probably the most productive meeting in the history of JJP! I feel better - LOL - I see where we are going and it looks great - I know that we have received many e mails, long e mails and calls from many people who ONLY want us to make GREAT GAMES! That's what we want to make. My VM was 100% full yesterday and I spent hours on the phone with many customers.
We understand completely that we are being held to a higher standard and we should be.
Again, we brought a development game to Expo. It was not done. It was a little better than a box of lights WOZ was. It is NOT the game we will be putting on the line as finished. We brought it there to be played. Maybe it was setup flat footed too and was not the best representation, my fault. We received much praise but some obvious criticism, it's not done.
We are addressing ALL of the concerns we received comments about. There is much we can easily change and easily I say in relative terms. There is some that cannot be changed but the changes we make will be in keeping with many suggestions and we will have a happy result.
We strive to listen and to react in a positive way. We respect your opinions as you are the people who put us in business and you are the people who buy and play our games. There are things that could have been better left off this game as they were placeholders (book) and we would have had less grief. I said we will continue to make mistakes, we want to make smaller ones.
We all want the same thing - GREAT PINBALL - This is where we are going.
We have a pinball design and manufacturing company, one of only two or so on Planet Earth. We have amazingly talented designers, programmers, engineers, artists and a factory full of Pinball People building games every day. We strive to do better and be better every day. We thank you for reminding us of this but I can assure you, we live it every day and it will not be forgotten!

Whether or not JJP can change the things keeping me from buying one is questionable but at least they are addressing it head on. A 180 degree change from the deflecting we got during expo. I hope it is clear to JJP now that the game designer needs to be on the project until the machines roll off the line. My honest belief is the DP guys caught a lot of people with their pants down. Come on JJP. Give us a WOZ type game in width and breadth with the kick ass license that the hobbit is..

Edit: forgot to add. Why not post this here as well. Not all your potential buyers are on your forums.

#1109 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well. It sounds like the game at Expo wasn't even complete anyway and that was before all of the criticism. The action button on the lockdown didn't exist, the ball just dropped off the Smaug divertor, the apron looked incomplete and the book was just a placeholder. By IAAPA next month I think the game will look much more polished liked planned.

I think you figured out jjp's secret. The action button brings out all kind of mechs, wireforms and shit to hit besides standup targets. Kudos on figuring it out.

#1122 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Where is the IAAPA?
How many vendors go?

Road trip?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaug-toy-revealed?tu=skins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.