troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seeker939.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 9 years ago

Smaug looks decent. But yeah, I was looking forward to the "different ways Smaug interacts with the ball". Turns out, he doesn't. So this highly innovative toy is nothing like JJP suggested it would be. Wtf? I don't care for lame excuses, bottom line is, they didn't get it done.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Based on some of the disappointment levels, I think people expected Smaug to detach from the game, fly around, and lay a big dragon dump on a ramp to block your shot.
Its an 8k pinball game with what appears to be some pretty cool innovation and effects. The drop target functionality alone looks incredible along with the timed LCD animations.

You are totally missing the point here. JJP made it all about Smaug. They announced an innovative toy that would interact with the ball in more than one way. Now here it is and it does basically nothing that Jack said he would do.
So the licensor didn't let you do cool things with the dragon? I don't care, because it wasn't Warner who made big mouthed promises.

But yeah, at least I get some drop targets. And a book that Bilbo the mentally challenged Hobbit started to write not on the first page, but in the middle.
And all the other great features: shaker and stuff... Hey, it's true, manufacturer XY doesn't even have invisglass for that price!

Give me a break, that's not the point. Jack said innovative and interactive so that's what people expected.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Smaug makes you lose your ball - he also taunts you - the diverter on the ramp is his tail. There is so much to understand about what the whole game is -

I understand that, thematically, the balls diverted from the upper left rampway are "captured by Smaug". But that's nothing the toy itself does, is it? (Btw. a simple diverter mechanic is still far from what I'd call innovative, but whatever). So at least give me a modelled claw for a diverter and though I might not be overly excited about that, at least the "interactive" part would be true.

https://img-f.pinside.com/201410/1971982/303605.jpg
Call me blind, but I'm not seeing a tail there either.

Obviously at this point I am not saying anything about the game as a whole.
Understand, it's not that talking/taunting and turning isn't great. It's just worlds away from what was advertised. So that's where the disappointment (and I think in some cases anger) is coming from.

Post edited by seeker939: Finished last at the spelling B.

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What are all these other "interactive" features?

Drop Targets. 4 Bash Toys. Drop Targets. Player controlled diverter and kickback. More drop targets.

So, basically it's drop targets. And may I remind you that Smaug taunts you? Obviously this alone for some folks on here is more than they can handle.

[Edit] I'll just go ahead and say it before someone points out I missed this: The LCD screen. (Not sure what's interactive about it, but still.)

#264 9 years ago

You're looking at that pin and think TEETH on the dragon are what's missing??

#274 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Which is why Lawlor #3 is gonna blow your brains out.

Which is what they said about TH. Seriously, dude!

Can't blame it on the license. If you can't do what you hoped to do you gotta come up with something else. I said it before and I'll say it again: interaction with the ball and innovation is what was promised for the Smaug toy. Look again at what was delivered.

But OF COURSE Jack will come through on his promises with the next pin. 3rd table's a charm I guess.

#574 9 years ago

wait.JPGwait.JPG

#582 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballwizard102:

Really what kinda cool stuff has stern tried lately at least they are trying to step it up

I'm pretty sure I don't want to buy the "pin that could've been".

Thanks for playing, Jack. Better luck next time!

#603 9 years ago

Quite funny how some individuals are still trying to salvage this trainwreck of a reveal.

We didn't get to see much awesomeness in the TH. Even if the code is gonna be great that's only what you'd expect. Seen that price tag? And been listening to Jack? The whole package should be the best thing in pinball ever.

#685 9 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

What nobody seems to be asking here is this:
Why wasn't the rights holder told what the designers wanted to do with the rights (e.g. make Smaug eat and interact with pinballs) before the rights were purchased?

Because that's not quite how it works.

Besides, I see no reason for having Smaug eat balls. It would've looked like JJP just copied JP. It is only understandable why stuff that don't fit the theme aren't in the game. Jack could've come up with something different though. There have been plenty suggestions.

#755 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Keith can do amazing things and can make a game that would normally be half ass into something great.
Software at the show was extremely primitive, so you can't really base it off of that. I didn't like the layout and the gameplay kinda sucked, but awesome rules can salvage it.
Look at LOTR. Boring layout. Typical fan pattern, not a lot of toys. Overall very bland. Keith made that game into a masterpiece. So he's done it before. And I know he loves the LOTR universe, so he will put his heart into this software. Time will tell.

First of all, who wants to pay $7500+ for a trainwreck that needs to be salvaged by the code when JJP just could and should deliver an overall great game? Ridiculous.

You say LOTR and TH are both bland. I disaggree. LOTR looks way more interesting than TH. Even if you don't like the art you gotta admit it all fits together great. The sword ramp and the center ramp with the ring are simple but very efficient design choices, that together with the other stuff convey theme perfectly well. POTD is lame, but together with the two towers and the Balrog there's still enough going on in the toy department. The game makes you wanna play it.

TH on the other hand has not such intrigue:
* Smaug is not living up to the hype: no interaction on a mechanical level. And although the figure itself doesn't look bad it's nothing special. It wouldn't be an issue if the rest of the table could compensate for that.
* The only innovation are the individual drop targets. They are kinda nice, sure... they're just not THAT nice.
* There's a lot going on UNDER the playfield. Much of it doesn't show. So nothing on the PF looks particularly new, cool or special.
* There's nothing that ties the different elements of the table together. Smaug body? Mountain? Bag End? There's much room for improvement, literally.
* So far the flow of the game seems ok, not great. Half of the center shots don't make it up the ramp and the upper right flipper is completely useless.

I don't understand how JJP could've believed we'd be blown away by this. Show me convincing vids and pics and I will be happy to give TH a chance. But excuses and the smoke screen of upcoming code don't cut it.

#758 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

That's why I am still in, that and the room for mods.

Mods? You're kidding, right??

#798 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I wonder if they will be able to make it harder each time you get to bowl? That would keep it fresh. Or at the very least second time you only get 1 ball.

So why don't you head on over to a TBL thread and discuss this for a bit? In case you didn't notice, this thread is for bashing Smaug (even though WB doesn't allow it).

#805 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Say JJP did make some big changes to the Smaug area. What do you think is doable?
Personally I think replacing the 3 right drop targets in front of Smaug and making them a motorized target bank (AFM, Tron and SM style) with some type of shot behind it would please a lot of people. Such as change could be made that would still not involve Samug being directly hit. Maybe its a pipe dream at this point but I think that type of change would pull a lot of people back into the game and make the whole area more interactive as well as add variety to the games shots.

Not a chance. Going back to whitewood won't be happening. I don't think randomly adding new/different game mechanics would be a good idea. At this point they might consider bringing back something they have already tested and know it worked but was cut for some reason. But honestly, other than making the table more appealing visually I don't expect changes.

#806 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am wondering this too... thinking about drop target heavy games in my collection that resent frequently, WPT is top of this list. I can only think of a single mode where the drops keep popping up rapidly, and it is fine. At least they only pop up after you hit at least one down from a bank during that multiball.
But the drops continually resetting during the smaug multiball, and perhaps almost every other mode during the game? That would get old pretty fast from a noise perspective.
I remember someone complaining about the noise from the GI relay ticking during Hulk multiball in Avengers. Hobbit seems to be like that multiplied by a thousand.
Anybody saying "just crank the sound baby" to drown out the drops... good luck with that

Get one of the editions with headphone jack. There are plenty to pick from.

#832 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's great to hear! Thanks Jack.
One question I do have is with Smaug interacting with the player so much will there be custom call outs for him by either a voice actor or Benedict Cumberbatch himself?

McKellen and Cumberbatch won't be doing voice acting for TH, but that's no surprise. But at the reveal JJP said they can get a Smaug voice actor no problem and are also looking for "the best Gandalf" out there.

#847 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Pretending a diverter is Smaug tail and calling him interactive with the ball is an insult to me. The mountain looks like a cape around Smaugs neck...Count Smaug. What can you possibly do... All you do is hit drop targets and two ramps that are so tight they may as well been one. And that third flipper? Deep rules and code...so you have 28 modes in which most if not all will interact with...that's right...drop targets! Wow that's soooo exciting. I guess one will be...hit right middle target, then hit right FT ramp, wait for CP Smaug to taunt you and redirect through his awesome way of interacting and divert your ball so can hit some more drop targets...

Obviously Jack better had never announced Smaug features that weren't final. At this point it is what it is. Moving on. At least a tail diverter will integrate the Smaug character more into the gameplay. Maybe JJP are just terrible at the promotion part and there is more stuff coming that will almost magically make TH a must have pin...

#877 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It is interactive - just not in the way YOU ASSUMED it to be. You assumed 'interact' to mean certain things like eating the ball, bash toy, or the like. Smaug is not static, nor is it independent of the ball and game play.
That's just it.. JJP was giving tidbits and people took them their own way. And now instead of saying "I guess I was wrong" it's "JJP lied!!!". People lock onto their idea of what he meant, vs acknowledging he was being open ended.

Dude. I think it was in March this year when Jack announced - as he was talking about the toys that Matt was creating - that Smaug as a "critical part of the game" was "going to interact with the ball in a couple of ways". Gee, how DID anyone get "Smaug toy interacting with ball" from that?

And I quote Joe Balcer: "The main mechanism is Smaug which will be very interactive."

After making this big secret out of it, what else should customers expect but some really cool mechanism? Most likely something that was never done before, or at least a great new spin on an existing thing. Surely not a svivelling Smaug head and a couple diverters near it.

#914 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And if you throw away your prenotions... look at the game and look at those quotes again, neither is off the mark.

Why you feel the need to defend the highly misleading advertising of Smaug? Jack said the Smaug toy was gonna "interact with the ball in a couple of ways". The only way that's gonna happen is airballs.

I hope Jack has learned his lesson. Only promise what you can and intend to deliver.

#1070 9 years ago

What Jack wrote and what it means. Take it with a grain of salt.

We just completed a very constructive Team Meeting on The Hobbit. The entire Team participated and reviewed the major items in the game that we can make changes to - positive changes that will have an immediate effect of the look, feel, play and Fun Factor of the game.

Ouch, that hurt! We didn't expect customers to hate our game so much. I promise we will change a couple things (like putting in some decals and replace that weird book) but don't hold your breath because most of it is final.

I can say that this was a four hour meeting and probably the most productive meeting in the history of JJP! I feel better - LOL - I see where we are going and it looks great

I'm not sure what we've been doing at all these meetings the past couple years, but for the first time ever it felt like work. The guys reassured me everything's gonna be fine though and that's what I choose to believe.

- I know that we have received many e mails, long e mails and calls from many people who ONLY want us to make GREAT GAMES! That's what we want to make. My VM was 100% full yesterday and I spent hours on the phone with many customers.

Stop bugging me!

We understand completely that we are being held to a higher standard and we should be.

Really, by now we know you think our game sucks.

Again, we brought a development game to Expo. It was not done. It was a little better than a box of lights WOZ was. It is NOT the game we will be putting on the line as finished. We brought it there to be played. Maybe it was setup flat footed too and was not the best representation, my fault.

TH is missing most of the code so let me remind you of the time when you saw WOZ and thought it was crap. (I hope you don't remember how long it took until production from that point.)
I can't really think of anything good so let's just blame it on the table angle, okay? Totally my fault, sorry about that. We good now?

We received much praise but some obvious criticism, it's not done.

I'm gonna go ahead and downplay the shitstorm, basic PR move, you'll understand. Everyone said how the stand up targets are really neat. So shut up already as it is obvious that the CODE is not done.

We are addressing ALL of the concerns we received comments about. There is much we can easily change and easily I say in relative terms. There is some that cannot be changed but the changes we make will be in keeping with many suggestions and we will have a happy result.

I really wish I could do something for you but there's the budget and the licensing
and the upcoming release date... Does it make you feel better if I tell you we've looked into it?
There's an upside to you guys criticizing about every aspect of our game, in that no matter what we will change (mostly the book), in the end we will be able to say we listened to you guys. Not sure about you, but I will be happy.

We strive to listen and to react in a positive way. We respect your opinions as you are the people who put us in business and you are the people who buy and play our games. There are things that could have been better left off this game as they were placeholders (book) and we would have had less grief. I said we will continue to make mistakes, we want to make smaller ones.

If you keep bitching, expect more non-substantial statements like this in the future, you're warned. But it's true, we do need your money so let me apologize vaguely for this slight mishap and all that are to come in advance. You should feel appreciated now.

We all want the same thing - GREAT PINBALL - This is where we are going.

I hear TBL is gonna be awesome - count me in on it!

We have a pinball design and manufacturing company, one of only two or so on Planet Earth. We have amazingly talented designers, programmers, engineers, artists and a factory full of Pinball People building games every day. We strive to do better and be better every day. We thank you for reminding us of this but I can assure you, we live it every day and it will not be forgotten!

I've got the biggest, so won't you shut up already. I really don't need you telling me what to do.

#1082 9 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

lol, that was funny Seeker.
Why do you guys think postponing anything is an option? That is just ridiculous. Do you have any idea how much time they lost getting WOZ shipped? Isn't it almost 4 years this January that they've been in business. They have a large facility and many employees now and thus, MANY expenses. Do you have any idea what another major delay would cost them? And how far back would that push the release of Lawlor's title?

I know, thx. Some notoric optimists seem to disaggree. But at this point JJP can change details or put in things that are already in the works, but not re-design major parts of the game, certainly not Smaug (just for the record, I don't think they should). I think you're right, maybe they could push production a couple weeks, but not months.

#1083 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Was wondering how long it would take for a JJP hater to convolute every word Jack said into a bash affair. Nice work

I don't hate JJP. I wish them nothing but success with TH. I do think Jack's PR skills are abysmal though.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Rushing the game out as is or with little improve would be more of a mistake as many would pull out of their preorders.

It's been 2 years. Doesn't seem like they're in much of hurry.

#1089 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

That longer video gave us a better idea of how it played and the shots. Im not real sold on the lack of shots left ramp, right ramp(so close together so they seem like one shot) left orbit, right orbit? And drops. Such a big playfield and its so empty. I look at my Judge Dredd and they packed everything they could in it, thats how a widebody should be. If JJP doesn't want to have to spend so much adding toys and mechanical features then they need to stop making wide body pins.

Maybe that style is not for you but obviously with TH that was a design choice from the beginning. There's a lot going on UNDER the PF, so it's not like the toys aren't there. But you are right that with that boring wide space the upper playfield needs to shine all the more.

#1095 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

In WOZ, the exposed pop bumper and witch magnets do a decent job of making you feel like the game is "attacking" you.
Does anyone see anything in the Hobbit that will do something similar?
I like a little bit of this in a game but too much can make it feel too random and punishing.

No. But Jack said something about Smaug taunting you and stealing your ball. We'll see how that turns out.

#1333 9 years ago

I've seen enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seeker939.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaug-toy-revealed?tu=seeker939 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.