troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Did anyone understand this? My moronese is a little rusty.

Out of line!

#249 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

There is a scene were he is covered in melted gold

Insert movie still from this scene with photoshopped text "+$1000" here

#407 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Here's the thing in my mind Jam. That exact point you stated above could have been cut and paste from about a half dozen other JJP fanboys who have stated the exact same thing the past 2 weeks. BUT .. I've gone out of my way for the past week 2-3 weeks now (before the reveal of the pop-up toys) to tone down all criticism. I have made MANY compliments (at least as many as negative opinions.) I have always avoided attacking anyone personally. I have avoided profane language or over-the-top comments/criticism. BUT, I still get mob attacked anyway (insults, name calling, taunted) for saying even the slightest thing that seems anti-JJP. Rest assured my feelings are not hurt though, lol. I'm just shocked Jack allows employees to come on here and represent his company the way they do. The mob mentality on here is ridiculous.

I agree with most of this statement. But saying this as a "friend" you do come off as someone having a crusade against JJP, like a deep, personal vendetta. I am not sitting here with a scorecard tallying this or that but as a frequent board reader and semi-frequent poster just stating the facts as I perceive them.

I think it has as much to do with the volume / frequency of comments as anything else. Very few posters are as prolific as you are when you are "on".

#595 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So then its settled, TH is shit…..close thread

Nope, we can still argue for another twenty pages whether TH is poop, or "the poop".

Game on.

Looking forward to playing it myself, but I admit I find the toys underwhelming at this point. At least smaug is likely to be noticed by players, unlike the near invisible witch in WoZ. |

And another posititive is Panzer will not be posting about the number of toys every 5 minutes on TH... I hope

I am also confused as to the people stating they expect this game to have hella flow. I don't see it. Again happy to be wrong, but it seems to be a widebody with almost zero flipper returns? How will that lead to buttery smooth flow?
edit: I just looked at the CAD type drawings again and saw more returns than I remembered, but still I will be surprised if this has legendary levels of flow. I think I have been blinded by VUKs and "toys" to the point the rest of the playfield is mentally invisible...

#632 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Aurich, after playing it do you really get the feeling like this is JJP's best shot? The same company made the WOZ sitting next to it - so if it looks that far off the mark it must mean that it isn't finished. Also, let me put it another way, if you were JJP would you release the game the way it is now? I am sure they have the same answer.

I have a long memory, and remember very well similar reactions to the early WoZ code. "This can't be it, we were promised complete code". "Keefer is surely sitting on this large chunk of code that can't be shown for reasons X, Y or Z... and it will be released TOMORROW". etc. etc.... Now a similar reaction to people in denial about the hobbit.

And the stupidest thing is it could be cleared up in about 30 seconds by Jack, and either he loves to hate the negative attention or he is crazy? Just state "more is coming, re: the windlance and other issues (e.g. unfinished look at the back of the game, where the heck is the smaug tail, etc...)", or keep collecting names from people cancelling their orders. Crazyness.

I am sure he thought he had a slam dunk, with the Smaug ultra LE etc... a reasonably complete game to flip on... and instead he gets a bloodbath of disappointed customers and people on the verge of cancellation.

#698 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

My bad, So he was Gold for 15 seconds.

Much like the rest of the movies, it was like 15 minutes of buildup for 15 seconds of something that ends up not really mattering.

I loved the half hour bit at the beginning of the second movie where they basically just get horses... then immediately ride the horses to the start of the movie (my mind may be exaggerating in terms of the time... but it really is clear how they padded this out to three movies even on my first viewing).

#699 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't recall him being at the JJP seminar, was he? If not, it is peculiar, since it is his game.

I agree it is odd; but what do I know.

Being 100% honest it does make me think the parting was not 100% friendly though.

#804 9 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

One thing I am wondering from everyone that was at expo are the continuing drop targets really as noisy as they sound in the videos? That in itself would drive me insane.
Joe(acejedi)

I am wondering this too... thinking about drop target heavy games in my collection that resent frequently, WPT is top of this list. I can only think of a single mode where the drops keep popping up rapidly, and it is fine. At least they only pop up after you hit at least one down from a bank during that multiball.

But the drops continually resetting during the smaug multiball, and perhaps almost every other mode during the game? That would get old pretty fast from a noise perspective.

I remember someone complaining about the noise from the GI relay ticking during Hulk multiball in Avengers. Hobbit seems to be like that multiplied by a thousand.

Anybody saying "just crank the sound baby" to drown out the drops... good luck with that

#811 9 years ago
Quoted from seeker939:

Get one of the editions with headphone jack. There are plenty to pick from.

Yeah, I am sure my wife and kids in my home (and for the Hobbits on location... other patrons of whatever establishment) will be all for this "fix"

Even if I lived by myself, that is still the weakest sauce fix to "bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang..." I have ever heard.

Honestly it is an argument FOR digital pinball. I am wondering if the drop target noise will end up being bigger than smaug-gate.

#859 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I don't get your complaint. *shrug* Most games don't have drop targets at all...let's take LOTR since it is very deep. How many shots does it have (ignoring targets for now)? I count 8. How many does Hobbit have? 7. That's pretty standard. Now, throw in the drop targets and stationary targets behind them as well as the other stationary targets...that's a lot of shots. Add 4 pop-up "trolls" and roll-over buttons. Now we're talking. I personally like drops. You don't have to, but there is a ton to shot at on this table.

I agree with this. There is a ton to shoot at. And thank you jack for letting the mob know things are not done. Looking forward to seeing the next showing of tbis game.

#1368 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wouldn't call LOTR a flow monster.

Agreed, not a "flow monster", but I have plastic that keeps the PoTD feeding onto the wireform rather than the shire (the game does not need another pause for a VUK prior to getting to my flipper). That helps decrease the dead ball time a bit.

Still, lots of shots leading to brief pauses (Bara-Dur, locks etc...).

#1374 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've had LOTR twice, and I've had the game with and without that plastic. The game was designed without it, and you are making it more difficult to collect souls by using the plastic.

Aware of the souls issue, for me it is worth the trade off.

I just figure VUK to POTD to VUK is a bit much stop and go, in a game with a lot of other stops. Definitely a matter of personal opinion, but I suggest this "mod" for those who like the game but want to decrease the dead time a bit.

#1417 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I would be so happy if this happened, even if it means delaying the game. Plus I think if this portion of the game is re-worked a bit JJP will be selling more Hobbits. This is how he should have been in the first place, but who knows did anyone ask if Smaug was placeholder or going to change?

Anybody thinking the smaug as shown was intended to be a placeholder has full blown fanboy syndrome. You dont put that much work into a placeholder mech. And you certainly don't do that about 2 months prior to shipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaug-toy-revealed?tu=bc_gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.