troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CraZ4Pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Smaug! Thoughts?????

SmaugToy.jpgSmaugToy.jpg

#10 9 years ago

I like the motion (spinning around to reveal Smaug). I think that's pretty cool. I like the movement of the mouth too assuming Smaug is always talking at the same time. That's pretty neat too. But I am not first one to state that I really wanted to see a full-body Smaug. Just his head is disappointing and the detail is just okay (again, I just don't see the true talent from Back Alley). It's not great. It's okay. And I am surprised that there's no LCD on the playfield? What does that book do?

#37 9 years ago

If Smaug smiled for a picture and you could see him for his profile (versus a player's perspective) ... here he is.

Smaug2.jpgSmaug2.jpg

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

So how much is the Gold Edition that was announced today?

well, MSRP is 9K .. but that's the thing ... they don't mention what your local distributor's actual price might be. Could be only $200-$300 than the original LE's price of 8K.

Ruby Red's are selling for far below the MSRP of 9k.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I thought so too, but he spins around to be hidden by the rock then revealed. Actually not that bad of an idea imo but it does drastically affect the aesthetics.

Drastically affects the aesthetics and ... does Smaug live in a mountain? Or a castle? Why not model the castle which would have been 100X more appealing to the eyes???

#63 9 years ago

Smaug ... from a player's perspective. SmaugReally.jpgSmaugReally.jpg

#66 9 years ago

Probably not very often .. but it sure seems like a ball would get hung-up behind the mountain/Smaug, no?

Smaug5.jpgSmaug5.jpg

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

He can't do more. Licensor wouldn't allow it.

lol. You did not just say that?!? After all the criticism of the cabinet artwork ... now you want to suggest that the Smaug toy could not interact with a pinball or "can't do more" because the licensor would not allow it?? Wow, JJP has run into some unusual licensor demands compared to past licensed games by other manufacturers.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I mean, what would you have him do, come down to the playfield and eat the ball? Keeping it simple makes the thing serviceable and keeps money left over in the budget for stuff that really matters (like the four popups and the amazing drops).

Ummm .. you mean like T-Rex did in the Jurassic Park pin from 20+ years ago? Uhh, yeah, that would be a start. And .. what did that game cost?? Jack has privately stated to many folks that Smaug would interact with the ball in 2 different ways. What are they?

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Well, he does: He looks at it and he talks to it...

I'm sure the ruleset is deep and cool. But visually ... really? 8K plus? They're justifying the reason(s) for switching to cabinet decals, and yep there's an lcd now (I still love this) ... but how the heck did we ever so easily give into game prices going from 4k (4.5K) all the way to 8k-9k+ for so little innovation? More detailed toys? Where are they? Interacting with the ball in more ways? How so? Someone was just touting the incredible innovation the other day that we would see revealed ... as if we just could not fathom what was coming ... but, where is it?? WTH?

#270 9 years ago

Thoughts ...
- Video animations look fantastic (as does the whole layout on the lcd)
- Smaug is a big letdown (especially considering it's just his head - the detail is mediocre at best)
- Sound / music seems amazing!
Note: Please let there be a game option to turn off the 'pinging' axes. Annoyed already.
- I actually like the book itself ... but the size and placement seems very poor (and no lcd there?)
- Lack of toys and even just figures/characters from the movie is disappointing
- Really disappointed by no lighting on the apron further emphasizing game progression
- The backboard decal (is that a decal?) is very boring. A more dramatic landscape with lighting needed. Why not consider adding blades with art? It wouldn't cost JJP much and would add a lot visually.
- GI Lighting and lighting effects in general ... seems weak again (like WOZ.)
- I'm sure the ruleset will be amazing ... but based on videos so far, why does it seem like this code is not further along?

I'm thinking back to the early discussions on the JJP Google forum when JJP was soliciting ideas that people wanted to see in the game. There were a lot of great ideas. I don't see any of it incorporated.

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The modders will have a field day.
So what if the included Smaug is toothless and boring? The modders can take an existing Smaug model, modify it and add it to the game.
People pay $500 for a Creature hologram, or $400 for a LCD screen with video modes, so $500 for a fearsome replacement Smaug? Sounds doable.

smug.jpg 43 KB

I guess it just seems frustrating to pay between $7500 and $9000 for this game and still have to spend $400-$500 more for a decent Smaug figure? It's the central toy (if not the only toy) and it seems mediocre at best to most people.

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm not saying his comment was appropriate, but there's two sides here. Tons of people on said forum are bashing the hell out of the game him and his company have been working on for the last two years. Are all JJP personnel supposed to just bend over and take all the bashing and provoking with a smile?
So many of you guys talk so much crap toward the manufacturers, as if you could do better, and then act shocked and say "how dare you?" when they finally get unnerved and talk back. Get real. I like when vendors take offense and chime in to defend their pins. It shows that they're human, and that they're passionate about what they're doing, and that they're not chicken shits.

Actually, I see ALL of the other manufacturers take their fair share of criticism ... but I don't see any of their employees on Pinside acting jeuvenile and attacking others personally for their opinions.

#301 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What other choice do you have?

TBL.

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Everything I've seen about TBL looks great. However, its also a $1,000 more compared to TH for those that got in at $7500 and can now get the Smaug Gold SE at that price. Also, while I like TBL movie I'm not a huge fan of it to spend $8.5k on a pin based off the film. I'm sure the modes for TBL will be fun but Keith is a master at interesting and fun rulesets, especially story based ones. With JJP being able to use assets from all 3 movies and Keith putting over 30 modes into the game I think we can already say that The Hobbit pinball will have the deepest ruleset ever.

First ... just because the SE's MSRP is 9k ... I'm very confident it's just like the Ruby Red WOZ and distributors will be selling it for much less. Unfortunately due to another of JJP's crazy ideas ... there is no way of knowing how many of the SE version will be made yet. I would fear most pre-orders are thinking like you and think "I should switch over because that 9K price tag makes it seem like it's the high-end model." If the majority of pre-orders switch over to the SE .. what will become of the LE?? Do you really think JJP will be able to sell all 1500 LE's? And ultimately ... I see the resale value of both the LE and the SE being about the same in 3 or 4 years (and I strongly believe both game values will be around 7k or less by then too, just like ECLEWOZ.)

#315 9 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I do think we need to remember this isn't the final product.

Huh? Why do you think that is not the final product? I think you may be setting yourself for even yet another disappointment if you really believe that.

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Doable things to do list before release:
1. Improve Smaug head and make it stick out more so it's part of the game and not so far back.
2. Add a Gandalf and Goblin King figure somewhere in the back.
3. add blades for christs sake.
4. The two up kickers that feed the ramps on either side look wierd. Why not wire like LOTR?
Other than that the game looks sick!!!! It WILL be great.

I just cannot imagine that there is enough time to make the changes AND get them approved by the studio before December (especially if the studio then asks for more changes.)

Maybe JJP will consider selling after-market mods similar to Stern. I really think blades should be a standard thing these days and would add a lot to the game.

#323 9 years ago

The lighting in this game seems very dark again (like WOZ.) Where are the spotlights? Flashers?

#332 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Like I said, even with these limitations, the art direction is none existant. It's a bad sculpt that has posters here already speaking of modding with a new $500 sculpt.

Yeah, but Matt is a really nice guy soo ...

I agree on the art direction. I've noted that many times ... there really is no art direction. Everyone seems to work in a silo (mostly anyway.)

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Thank goodness you didn't order one!

I agree 100%. Yesterday's reveal validates every fear I had about pre-ordering. I think it's a safe bet that this game will be selling used on Pinside below 7k within a year.

In fact, I already see someone is selling their pre-order for the original $7500 on here.

#350 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You won't agree 100% when the game is finished.

Aside from a small touch here or there (decals on a ramp or something) do you have new information that the game is far from finished?

And no ... I don't care if they throw on an lcd toy, reveal a Smaug toy that actually looks decent, and decide to finally put GI/spotlights/flashers in the game. I will never buy a game from JJP again. Terrible experience.

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Within a year??? Not too sure about that one. Guess we'll see soon enough.

ECLE WOZ's (plural) were selling here on Pinside in the $6700 - $7000 range before the last ECLE WOZ even shipped. You now have 1500 Hobbit LE's and likely at least 1000 SE's. With Lawlor's game coming ... and a new remake game (AFMr?) .. and many other games, I think it's a safe bet there will be plenty of folks selling Hobbits (a year or so from now anyway) to get money for a future game.

#361 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

There are points and things I don't like with the hobbit. And I am hoping that there will come more. but I am still happy with my order. But I don't understand why you stay here, how can we take you seriously after posts like this.
You say JJP can built the best game and no matter what, you won't buy ever again a game from them. OK we noticed that, so walk on and stop to annoy us buyers of this and future games.

I follow all developments, period. Why is it, when I have even the slightest negative opinion you feel the need to call me out specifically and mob attack me?? In case you have not noticed, there are literally HUNDREDS of other people criticizing Hobbit right now and saying things much less polite than myself. But I'm just going to continue to be your lightning rod because I'm more active on here??

Just curious, how do you pronounce your name? Az 'Ol?

I've had a dozen nice things to say about the game but the post stating I'm done buying from JJP draws your wrath?? By all means PLEASE keep supporting JJP!!! I need someone to buy "used" from.

#365 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's over and over and over and over again………we get it, now stick a fork in it….
Why are you attacking JJP non stop, again and again……..see movie above

WHAT is over and over?!? Show me one single statement that I've stated more than once!!!!!!!!!! You're so full of it.

#369 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You know how they say when you rescue a dog, you're really rescuing TWO dogs, because then the shelter has room to get another one in?
Well, if I ever decide to sell one of my JJP pins, you'll be the first guy I contact. Because your buying my pin will make room for me to buy another JJP NIB. So you'll actually be helping to fund their company again.
Awesome.

lol, sounds good! If that actually makes sense to you then great. We'll work together to keep them in business.

#371 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Jack Nicholson called and said he is looking for the rest of the "Cukoo's Nest"…..

Please take a few more minutes and come up with something a little better. Don't rush it.

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Really
You say BA has no talent
Let's see you make that from scratch

This is absolutely ridiculous and a flat out LIE. I have never stated that he did not have talent (and I'm still not stating it now .. the fact that Smaug spins around has nothing to do with Matt). In fact, I've even applauded Matt's MANY talents! I have stated, however, that I don't think sculpting characters in particular is his skill/talent and I wish JJP would use him where his talents are strongest (powder coating and creating figures that are used for decoration, like castle walls or something.)

I'm sorry but Smaug is just medicore and I am FAR from the only one stating this opinion here on Pinside. Half the pop-up toys are "okay" and two look fairly bad.

#377 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

He seems to think the same "5 or 6" people have the ability to do that. Comical, and sad all at the same time.

I would say it is actually about 20-22 ardent JJP supporters (including JJP employees like yourself and indirect partners of JJP.)

And I would also say that YOU seem to think these same 20-22 users represent "everyone" and "all of Pinside" ... which I find just as comical.

#379 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

And hence your almost constant bashing of all things JJP. We GET it already.

No, no you don't get it. Not even remotely. I have posted JUST AS MANY compliments this week about Hobbit as I have criticisms. You apparently only see negative because JJP can do no wrong in your eyes. That's fine. But it's not me who has the problem.

#381 9 years ago

^ I honestly don't need even one more reason beyond JJP employees like this to never buy a thing from them. Constantly insulting Pinsiders and acting like an elementary school bully. Disgraceful.

#390 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

This post reveals your grudge against JJP and the bias from which most of your posts stem.
Pinside is supposed to be a positive place. In my eyes, that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to state "honest" opinions even if they are negative. But when those opinions (even if honest) are incessantly stated due to a personal grudge, that I believe is against the spirit of Pinside.
Are you truly blind to the fact that most everyone reading these posts knows that you have a grudge against JJP and as a result isn't receptive to what you are saying? Unfortunately, that means that even when you have something critical to say that might be helpful, that message falls on deaf ears.
Same goes for EK77.

Do you think posts from Alex calling other folks names (repeatedly) and launching childish personal attacks against them is in the "spirit of Pinside"?
Or, do you think Jack coming on Pinside and threatening legal action for copyright infringement is in the "spirit of Pinside"?
Apparently mob attacking me (repeatedly) despite not making any inflammatory comment whatsoever in the last several weeks, is in the "spirit of Pinside"?

Please show me where I have attacked anyone personally. That comment reveals my "grudge"? Okay, that's fine .. yes, I guess I have a grudge. But how does my having a grudge affect my comments? I have stated roughly equal compliments and criticisms of the game!

In regards to a "grudge" ... I do think it is absolutely disgusting how Jack conducts business and treats customers. I think he is terrible for the hobby long term. He absolutely did state at one time that there would be no additional versions of Hobbit beyond the LE (there was a discussion long ago about why we should get in early on Hobbit if there could be another version made too). It does bother me that more pinheads are being treated this way even yet again. Deja Vu. It does bother me that JJP is directly responsible for game prices rising to the levels they have ... and we're still left searching for the related increase in quality/detail (and I REALLY worry about the long-term survival of all pinball companies). It does bother me that disributors appear to get preferential treatment at our expense. It does bother me that so many things stated by Jack that turn out to be false (if not lies.) But hey, that's just been my experience (and my opinion) over the last 3.5 years.

#406 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Here's the thing man, I have nothing against you or JJP, I don't have any JJP games or have any on order, and you've made some good points, but you've gone so far off the deep-end with the volume of negative posts that you've lost credibility. Honestly, the volume of negative posts and the underlying tone is so negative that when you make a positive comment about JJP it comes off as a self-defense mechanism so that you can say you made "positive comments" when somebody calls you out for making so many negative comments. Only you can really know what's true in your own mind but the way you are presenting yourself makes you look very biased against JJP.
Again, I think you've made some good constructive comments but they lose much of their impact because you're coming across as biased.
Post edited by Jam_Burglar

Here's the thing in my mind Jam. That exact point you stated above could have been cut and paste from about a half dozen other JJP fanboys who have stated the exact same thing the past 2 weeks. BUT .. I've gone out of my way for the past week 2-3 weeks now (before the reveal of the pop-up toys) to tone down all criticism. I have made MANY compliments (at least as many as negative opinions.) I have always avoided attacking anyone personally. I have avoided profane language or over-the-top comments/criticism. BUT, I still get mob attacked anyway (insults, name calling, taunted) for saying even the slightest thing that seems anti-JJP. Rest assured my feelings are not hurt though, lol. I'm just shocked Jack allows employees to come on here and represent his company the way they do. The mob mentality on here is ridiculous.

#411 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What's funny is not a single person noticed something huge missing from the demo game that is right there in the brochure. This is not a finished game FYI. I gave it 24 hrs and no one noticed. Or if they did I didn't see anyone comment. In any event, more to come.

Everyone noticed the button missing on the lockdown bar. Was there something else missing beyond that?

#412 9 years ago

And why would Jack not state that this is not a "finished game" if there were significant features missing? Why upset so many customers (or even potential customers)? I do not understand the logic there.

I can understand if there are small things (little details) such as ramp decals (or etchings) not on the game ... but are you really suggesting there are major elements missing on the game revealed? Because if you're starting to build people's hopes again and there aren't major reveals yet to come, I think that's another very bad idea.

#420 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I just wish u would stop bickering with people and they with u..

It's really pretty simple Lorenzo. If I wasn't attacked ... I wouldn't respond! If you can show me where/when I have ever launched the first salvo on another Pinsider, I'll apologize.

#424 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

So why should we still take your opinion seriously if you even tell us by your self that you be biased? I am interested why you are so obsessed with JJP? Tell us about what they realy did to you? What makes you realy upset?

I honestly have never stopped to care if you take my opinion seriously (do you worry about others taking your opinion seriously?) <- and I don't mean that to sound sarcastic or snotty. Why do you think I am "obsessed"? Do you not spend as much time as me on Pinside? I've already noted that I make just as many compliments as I do criticisms but it's like that always falls on deaf ears. So what exactly do you think I am obsessed about? Absolutely I think JJP is a terrible company to do business with and I won't reiterate the numerous reasons I've given because the next post will be someone else stating "WE GET IT ALREADY, STOP". So don't ask me the same questions over and over. All that being said ... when I see a new game revealed I am completely honest about what I see (regardless of the manufacturer.) There are numerous awesome things in Hobbit (lcd animations and layout, amazing sound, code depth that is almost too deep, etc.) But then there are several glaring aspects that are on the opposite end of awesome (lack of toys, zero art direction across the entire game, a toy sculptor who is just average, etc.) Take the good with the bad and don't attack the messenger.

#426 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Everyone.. Relax

Screenshot_2014-10-17-21-05-48~2... 136 KB

I prefer an IPA.

#428 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Just have to be contrary in San Diego sometimes you want something other than an IPA

But you have the best hops in the country over there!

#431 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Jack told me once that Smaug will grab balls off the wireform and drop them in the subway hole behind him...so there was more interactive plans at SOME point.

He told me VERY early on that there would be a lower playfield too. But I get that things happen and things have to change occasionally.

#436 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

what am i doing wrong that a video i want to post keeps coming up did not get video id? from pinside when it finishes loading...i took the video with iphone 5

Many people have been stating the same issue this week. You really need to send it to YouTube first and then just embed the link here.

#437 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

On I know, but I've gotten pickier now / over saturated with over 100 breweries now and think all but one of them with an IPA (or Sculpin is my current goto IPA.. But alpine Nelson is favorite but have to drive like 12 miles for a growler.
Looks like hobbit beers are from Washington.
http://seattlebeernews.com/2014/08/fish-brewing-introduces-the-hobbit-series-of-beers/

Excellent! I'm in Michigan and we have a plethora of fantastic micro breweries as well (not the least of which being Bell's, Founders, and New Holland.) But we still appreciate that the best hops come from the West coast.

#441 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

im sending u the video post it for me..i dont do utube

FYI, I posted the video to the Hobbit videos thread for those interested ...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-expo-gamplay-videos-post-here-please

#455 9 years ago

To anyone who has seen the game in person I'm curious about the GI. The brochure notes the new super white GI ... is it in the game now? Does it seem to make a big difference to you? It's hard to see or appreciate it from pictures and videos so far. The game still seems dark to me.

#464 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, share that opinion over and over again, goes from making some valid points to complete nonsense. The "opinion" on Smaug matches a lot of peoples, its not just this thread, its the "body of posting". That's why he gets "flamed", and if you are going to keep it up, be prepared to receive it.
I thankful I have an opinion and am not afraid to share it!

Yeah ... so anyway ... back to discussing Hobbit.

#466 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

something you have zero interest in or intent to buy.

I've stated it previously (apparently I need to state things over and over for you) but I do intend to buy one ... used! I'll just wait for the used value to drop to what I ultimately think the game is worth. I still think this game looks better than ST (already.)

#469 9 years ago

Okay, I don't want this turning into a Stern versus JJP thing, lol. Everyone finds certain games more fun than others and everyone enjoys different aspects of a game, that's all.

#470 9 years ago

This pre-order (at the original price of $7500 no less) has been available for more than a day ... that's very telling.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-le-paid-preorder-for-sale-7500

#478 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

why the PF seems to have so few 'toys' when under the PF is PACKED with things. What do all these things under the PF belong too?

Well, I think there is still the "windlance" toy yet to come. But it could just be similar to the "weapon" (crossbow?) in TWD (under the apron below the flippers.) Or maybe it does fit somewhere on the playfield like the canon on AC/DC and you have to fire the shot up at Smaug? I'm not sure that will make up for the Smaug toy itself though (or lack of an lcd on the playfield.)

#501 9 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I think following the ball by Smaug can be worth more than the same by the Homer head, for Smaug wants to 'track' you. Besides he talks as well, which I think can be cool with nice audio. Announcing Smaug interacts with the ball wasn't that wise, I think, for maybe responding on where the ball is, is interacting, but it's not what people envissioned when they heard it.

Smaug "tracks" the ball movement? It didn't appear that way to me and I haven't heard anyone else state that it does? His head moves but I don't think it's tracking the ball.

#511 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

and even if it IS awesome, they should be humble...

Like Jack??

#513 9 years ago

My thought too but to be fair they weren't independent up, only down

Yes, this new "wheel" goes forward AND backwards. That deserves a new patent.

#663 9 years ago

IMO, the outpouring at Expo and online is simply due to JJP not quite communicating what this machine is that we saw at Expo. Is this an old prototype? A new prototype? A production model? I think most are under the impression this is a close-to-production machine based on the presentation. Sadly, instead of confirming/not confirming that, we spent time rambling and casually joking, and hooking up impromptu iPads during the roughly planned and ultimately (IMO) uninformative presentation.
Aside from Keith's which I found very exciting, essentially zero time was spent explaining why anyone would want to drop 9k on this machine. All I learned is how now I can spend even more money on even fancier cab decals, and how heavy the thing is.

This was not a miscommunication on JJP's part. They are extremely aware of the chatter on Pinside and would have moved immediately to clarify it if this game wasn't 90%-95% complete (physically) IMO. Otherwise, I think this would be the absolute worst business decision ever to deliberately mislead your customers, upset them significantly, and potentially lose many of them. I just cannot think of any scenario in which that would be a savvy decision. Yes, there are likely a few small things that were not ready in time for expo, but I would be shocked if Smaug is not complete and if there is an lcd or different toy instead of the book. Just enjoy what you see (there are many positives in this game.)

#665 9 years ago

So then you are clear on the status of the games we will see built in two-three months time? Or you are just assuming based on what you saw?

Absolutely not, sorry. I didn't mean to imply I know anything definitively (most following the thread know I'm not part of the inner circle, lol). I only meant that I sincerely believe JJP did not have any intention to mislead anyone .. that they absolutely presented the game as it currently is and I also believe that the game itself (as shown) is nearly complete. I believe the book is the final toy. I believe Smaug is the final Smaug. I believe there are a few details not shown that were not quite ready for "prime time" such as ramp decals (or etchings as noted) and how the user control works over the drop targets (and the WindLance), etc. But you are looking at the 90-95% physically complete game (and I'm certainly not saying that is a bad thing, there's a lot there!!)

#709 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

There is a lot to the Hobbit™ that you cannot see -
How will all 15 targets work in the rules.
How the action button on the front molding controls features of the game - Smaug's Tail diverter that's on the ramp - how Smaug™ - how his speech taunts you and causes you to lose your ball. The depth of play, rules and modes - so much going on.

I think this is the most definitive response I've seen from Jack yet on the state of the game shown at expo. As I previously stated ... all the major mechanics are apparently there toy-wise. We're yet to see how the button on the lockdown bar will work with various game elements. Lots of game code to come which will certainly increase the fun factor. But I think it's becoming pretty obvious this is the final Smaug figure, he will not directly interact with the ball (at least not his head ... but the diverter is considered his tail.) The book is a final toy on the playfield (just a good opportunity for a mod there!) Basically it sounds like it really is 95%+ complete physically.

I do look forward to playing the game though. Some things are a bit of a letdown and some things (video / music / cabinet / # of modes) are better than expected.

#727 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am too, and I was thinking before Sterns reveal I would like to get TWD as my first Stern. I can't believe after the expo there would be more threads asking if people are going to abort the hobbit than giving praises and trying to buy preorders! Didn't see this coming at all.

There was at least one Pinsider who saw this coming unfortunately.

#736 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Funny how CraZ4Pin who was accused of trolling the JJP threads is now the wise one.

Equally funny to me is that I actually now find myself defending the game itself, lol (albeit not JJP business practices.) I think there really are a lot of cool things in the game (I just think it's a little overpriced now). I never had crazy expectations for Smaug (although I did think he would physically interact with the ball at least.) I've stated previously I didn't expect many toys in the game (because I couldn't see where they could be fit in.) But, the fact that there will be 28+ modes and presumably (I hope) a lot more video clips (I'm a JP fan) and callouts is great. The sound seems amazing. I like the SE cabinet (although I still think the red trim Aurich went with looked better and the fact that there is another edition period is terrible IMO.)

#753 9 years ago
Quoted from oscarspa:

If I was JJ I would do a publication of what to do or not be in the playfield, the software can always be improved with an update, I'm not worried about this but the hardware can not be changed. each of us could assess whether or not purchase in relation to the selling price, would be most honest to anyone feeling cheated,

Maybe they just can't say for sure yet because they don't even know? What if they are working on stuff (such as something instead of the book) but just can't say for sure until they make it work? Or maybe they'll respond to feedback and address it? It's possible (although I'm not sure if that alone is enough to make people happy?) Wait a little longer to see what all little changes get made. I mean, keep your expectations low ... so you'll be pleasantly surprised as opposed to thinking big and then being disappointed again.

I still think anyone would be crazy for cancelling their pre-order at this point. Give it another 6-7 weeks and see how things develop. Rash decisions are usually poor decisions.

#761 9 years ago

The new price points for Hobbit does raise a serious question in my mind though ... WHY is JJP charging (or listing) the SE for $500 more than the LE??? You get nothing more at all. Just different cabinet art ... and apparently a Smaug toy that is painted all gold (which to me seems like a negative since it will hurt the detail in Smaug even more). So what exactly are you charging $500 for?? That's a lot of money and for what? It's not like the 75th edition of WOZ where you at least got several hundred dollars worth of extra toys (grrrrr ... hate thinking about that.) It's even more odd when you consider there could actually be more SE's made than LE's (or even the exact same amount.)

It seriously makes it seem like a smoke screen in order to get current LE pre-orders to just accept JJP introducing a new "special" edition (as if you're somehow getting more value by them introducing even yet another edition.)

#765 9 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Peekaboo Smaug stinks.

"Peekaboo Sock Puppet Smaug" please.

When he starts talking that's all I can see / think about ... a sock puppet.

#814 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So we have months of people ASSUMING what the smaug toy would be... and when it gets revealed it's not what they assumed it would be so now it's garbage.
And you all wonder why companies before did not pre-release games or details of games???
JJP gave teasers, you all assumed that meant X.. and now you got Y.. and you're upset.
Can no one step back and look at what they are doing here? You're all bashing because the game isn't what you thought it would be in your head.

In contrast to Beelzboob .. I think this may be the dumbest thing said yet. People didn't just assume ... Jack has been telling people that Smaug would interact with the ball in 2 different ways. JJP loves to say they listen to their customers ... well customers have been asking for 2 years for a highly-detailed and full-body Smaug figure in the game. Yes, for 2 years! I don't think I've ever seen even 1 person state "Hey, I really just want to see his head ... and it doesn't have to be "that" detailed or realistic looking". JJP didn't have to show Smaug earlier ... but why on Earth do they never look to put people's expectations in check and instead continue to do the opposite and hype what's coming as if it will absolutely blow people's minds. Lord knows they spend plenty of time reading Pinside.

#898 9 years ago

Okay, this horse has been beat dead 20X over I guess. I'm taking a "break" from JJP threads until closer to IAAPA. Hope to see a lot more then ...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CraZ4Pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaug-toy-revealed?tu=CraZ4Pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.