Topic Stats

• 1,424 posts
  • 237 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Captain_Kirk
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 78 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
dragon.jpg
image.jpg
imgres-4.jpg
image-66.jpg
elf-1.jpeg
abandon-thread-97122.gif
abondon thread hole.gif
troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg

There are 1424 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 29.
#401 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

CraZ4Pin, SilverBallz, and starbase are/were the top 3 JJP bashers (I think starbase moved on though). Just get over it guys...I get that you think Jack and/or JJP screwed you at some point, but sheesh, let it go. Move on to better things and let people enjoy the games.

CraZ4Pin used to be a JJP zealot. There was a point where JJP could do no wrong, and any criticism of WOZ/JJP would be met with immediate consternation by CraZ4Pin. Now that he has done an about turn, well....let's just say that it's been interesting to watch.

#402 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

No, no you don't get it. Not even remotely. I have posted JUST AS MANY compliments this week about Hobbit as I have criticisms. You apparently only see negative because JJP can do no wrong in your eyes. That's fine. But it's not me who has the problem.

Here's the thing man, I have nothing against you or JJP, I don't have any JJP games or have any on order, and you've made some good points, but you've gone so far off the deep-end with the volume of negative posts that you've lost credibility. Honestly, the volume of negative posts and the underlying tone is so negative that when you make a positive comment about JJP it comes off as a self-defense mechanism so that you can say you made "positive comments" when somebody calls you out for making so many negative comments. Only you can really know what's true in your own mind but the way you are presenting yourself makes you look very biased against JJP.

Again, I think you've made some good constructive comments but they lose much of their impact because you're coming across as biased.

Post edited by Jam_Burglar

#403 5 years ago

I'm sure it feels like 20 million to him, lol.

#404 5 years ago

Honestly, this is a let down for me too. Given Woz an all the hype of the hobbit, I was expecting more. When you look at woz and th side by side, they look completely different. TH looks plain. There is nothing exciting about it (unlike woz). WOZ says "look at me, play with me and my balls and toys". The art on WOZ is incredible and so eye catching. TH...not so much. Its like the games were made by different manufacturers (other than LCD).

Jack said the tail diverts the ball? I dont see anything resembling a tail.

However, I will say when STLE came out, people bitched and moaned that it was boring. I xceled a preorder. Well, I have one and I was completely wrong (disclosure, Its HUO and I paid 1800 less than NIB). Its awesome though. Hopefully Hobbit has the same fate. They all cant be winners. God knows Stern has pumped out some S*it but at least with the Hobbit, you get a better sense of value.

Summary: not impressed by Smaug or the game but thats ok, it leaves me money for the next pin (hopefully JJP)

#405 5 years ago

Take the personal fight elsewhere. This thread is about crapping on or supporting Smaug.

#406 5 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Here's the thing man, I have nothing against you or JJP, I don't have any JJP games or have any on order, and you've made some good points, but you've gone so far off the deep-end with the volume of negative posts that you've lost credibility. Honestly, the volume of negative posts and the underlying tone is so negative that when you make a positive comment about JJP it comes off as a self-defense mechanism so that you can say you made "positive comments" when somebody calls you out for making so many negative comments. Only you can really know what's true in your own mind but the way you are presenting yourself makes you look very biased against JJP.
Again, I think you've made some good constructive comments but they lose much of their impact because you're coming across as biased.
Post edited by Jam_Burglar

Here's the thing in my mind Jam. That exact point you stated above could have been cut and paste from about a half dozen other JJP fanboys who have stated the exact same thing the past 2 weeks. BUT .. I've gone out of my way for the past week 2-3 weeks now (before the reveal of the pop-up toys) to tone down all criticism. I have made MANY compliments (at least as many as negative opinions.) I have always avoided attacking anyone personally. I have avoided profane language or over-the-top comments/criticism. BUT, I still get mob attacked anyway (insults, name calling, taunted) for saying even the slightest thing that seems anti-JJP. Rest assured my feelings are not hurt though, lol. I'm just shocked Jack allows employees to come on here and represent his company the way they do. The mob mentality on here is ridiculous.

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Here's the thing in my mind Jam. That exact point you stated above could have been cut and paste from about a half dozen other JJP fanboys who have stated the exact same thing the past 2 weeks. BUT .. I've gone out of my way for the past week 2-3 weeks now (before the reveal of the pop-up toys) to tone down all criticism. I have made MANY compliments (at least as many as negative opinions.) I have always avoided attacking anyone personally. I have avoided profane language or over-the-top comments/criticism. BUT, I still get mob attacked anyway (insults, name calling, taunted) for saying even the slightest thing that seems anti-JJP. Rest assured my feelings are not hurt though, lol. I'm just shocked Jack allows employees to come on here and represent his company the way they do. The mob mentality on here is ridiculous.

I agree with most of this statement. But saying this as a "friend" you do come off as someone having a crusade against JJP, like a deep, personal vendetta. I am not sitting here with a scorecard tallying this or that but as a frequent board reader and semi-frequent poster just stating the facts as I perceive them.

I think it has as much to do with the volume / frequency of comments as anything else. Very few posters are as prolific as you are when you are "on".

#408 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I heard Jack throw that out. It sounded like he was joking. Either way there is no way it is true. They would have to sell 2500+ at $8500 each just to take in that much money. More likely it was a million or two to develop.

It was a joke obviously.

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I heard Jack throw that out. It sounded like he was joking. Either way there is no way it is true. They would have to sell 2500+ at $8500 each just to take in that much money. More likely it was a million or two to develop.

Well, they already sold 1500 at $7500 so 2500 isn't crazy

#410 5 years ago

What's funny is not a single person noticed something huge missing from the demo game that is right there in the brochure. This is not a finished game FYI. I gave it 24 hrs and no one noticed. Or if they did I didn't see anyone comment. In any event, more to come.

#411 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What's funny is not a single person noticed something huge missing from the demo game that is right there in the brochure. This is not a finished game FYI. I gave it 24 hrs and no one noticed. Or if they did I didn't see anyone comment. In any event, more to come.

Everyone noticed the button missing on the lockdown bar. Was there something else missing beyond that?

#412 5 years ago

And why would Jack not state that this is not a "finished game" if there were significant features missing? Why upset so many customers (or even potential customers)? I do not understand the logic there.

I can understand if there are small things (little details) such as ramp decals (or etchings) not on the game ... but are you really suggesting there are major elements missing on the game revealed? Because if you're starting to build people's hopes again and there aren't major reveals yet to come, I think that's another very bad idea.

#413 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Well, they already sold 1500

I haven't been following TH threads that close but just ordered a SGSE. Where are you getting the 1500 sold number?

#414 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

but are you really suggesting there are major elements missing on the game revealed?

I assumed their website or brochure doesn't include any playfield pictures due to some open licensing issues but maybe it's also because some of the features aren't final.

#415 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I have always avoided attacking anyone personally.

Really?

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Just curious, how do you pronounce your name? Az 'Ol?

Hmmm.....

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

BUT, I still get mob attacked anyway (insults, name calling, taunted) for saying even the slightest thing that seems anti-JJP.

A self reflective person might look at all the feedback they are getting and think, "Maybe all these people have a point and I'm doing something that is drawing this ire".

Personally, I dislike a "mob" mentality and usually go out of my way to go against the mob and give someone the benefit of the doubt. I also tend to keep criticisms to myself so might come off as a "fan boy".

But, every once in a while someone such as yourself comes along who either doesn't see the negative impact they are having in thread after thread or are purposely creating conflict to hurt a company they have a personal grudge against.

I know you will probably chalk my input up to just another person who is attacking you because they don't like anyone criticizing JJP but still I felt the need to speak up.

#416 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's obvious (to me, anyway) that it's not nearly completed, either in hardware or software. But I'm dying for somebody to confirm that the hideous book is just a placeholder for something better. It's gotta be - the thing's so frickin' huge it blocks the awesome art of the pop bumpers.

Also waiting (like many others) for a pic of the gold Smaug before making my decision to change editions or not. I wish you could keep the red one in if I don't like it!

#417 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's obvious (to me, anyway) that it's not nearly completed, either in hardware or software. But I'm dying for somebody to confirm that the hideous book is just a placeholder for something better. It's gotta be - the thing's so frickin' huge it blocks the awesome art of the pop bumpers.

I hope you are right. Please be right...

#418 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Windlance?!?!!!

#419 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

And why would Jack not state that this is not a "finished game" if there were significant features missing? Why upset so many customers (or even potential customers)? I do not understand the logic there.
I can understand if there are small things (little details) such as ramp decals (or etchings) not on the game ... but are you really suggesting there are major elements missing on the game revealed? Because if you're starting to build people's hopes again and there aren't major reveals yet to come, I think that's another very bad idea.

It's his company. He can run it anyway he wants. U don't have to be happy about it, people aren't happy how Gary runs stern sometimes either... It's still a good time to be in the hobby. We could all be complaining about no new games being made if things didn't go right over the past few years..

I just wish u would stop bickering with people and they with u..

So I got to spend a bunch of time around the game these last two days. I unloaded the game with the guys into a private room and got to watch koz have a hell of a one ball game a few hrs before the vendor room opened today. koz can play im jelous. Got to see and hear the dragon talking which I'm sure they will install more of. The 1080i video quality compared to woz video is night and day. The videos that come up are so crisp it was freaking cool to me. My favorite part is the end when the games over he turns around and gives u shit. Mouth movements and lighting in the mouth is spot on. Pin chroma I loved the finish on the cabinet armor on this game even if its the standard armor. Jack cranked the game to max in the hall during the presentation, it was crazy how loud it was in that room. The audio files as well are amazing to me just my opinion.

Ill post up talking dragon end of game audio/video asap

#420 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I just wish u would stop bickering with people and they with u..

It's really pretty simple Lorenzo. If I wasn't attacked ... I wouldn't respond! If you can show me where/when I have ever launched the first salvo on another Pinsider, I'll apologize.

#421 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

It's really pretty simple Lorenzo. If I wasn't attacked ... I wouldn't respond! If you can show me where/when I have ever launched the first salvo on another Pinsider, I'll apologize.

It was not meant to be an ATTACK against you, perhaps is my english way to bad to make that clear. It was an attack against your obsession:

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

And no ... I don't care if they throw on an lcd toy, reveal a Smaug toy that actually looks decent, and decide to finally put GI/spotlights/flashers in the game. I will never buy a game from JJP again. Terrible experience.

You wouldn't buy this game even if all things were good. Because of terrible experiences that you made before. So why should we still take your opinion seriously if you even tell us by your self that you be biased? Please don't take it as an insult, I could use the ignore button and all would be good, but I am interested why you are so obsessed with JJP? Tell us about what they realy did to you? What makes you realy upset? And stop to open new battlefields to attack them. That is boring.

If I don't like something that is offered, I don't buy it, perhaps I use this forum to give a feedback, why I don't like it but I think it would be normal to move on.

So back to the smaug head. I think it looks good, but I miss more around him. Things that could be packed in like the castle walls in WOZ. If they planned more for this area in the back, they should just say this. And they should say if that is all what we will get. I will buy this game cause of the Layout, Theme, Music and Rules. I like how the head is animated and acts.
But we are close to the start of the production. Yesterday I hoped that all would be revealed at the expo. Now I am even more clueless what I will get.
I trust in JJP and I am sure that they will deliver. And if not, it's only a hobby, it's only pinball and it's only for the fun in my life. To make that clear this trust is earned in the past but normaly I would like to know more about such a big purchase so close before the production starts. And it is JJPs fault that all the expectations are climbing way to high if they are letting us now still in the dark.

#422 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm sure you do get attacked. I'm not saying u don't, I just would like to see the back and forth stop from them and from u. I have no say it that. Just tired of it back n forth. I have to hope u are as well. U get to say what u want and so do they.
Im in for the Dutch,the stern, and the jjp. Jpop had my money early on and I bailed. I'm sure his shit will be amaze balls but his hiding completely from public is what it is.

I'm getting a hobbit smaug
I'm doing big laboswki order
I already paid for twdle (thanks Chris at cointaker)
I might even pull the trigger on pinball circus when its done

I can't stand the gun on twdle cause I hate Austin powers
I wish the hobbit had my topper I designed
I don't really care for Dutch( just kidding...that's crew is cool and jp is the man!)
Still buying all their games. I sold all my Wms games off, movie forward toward the next generation of pinball with a smile. Ill go play Wms at friends houses.

#423 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Something about a player-controlled loop ramp?

#424 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

So why should we still take your opinion seriously if you even tell us by your self that you be biased? I am interested why you are so obsessed with JJP? Tell us about what they realy did to you? What makes you realy upset?

I honestly have never stopped to care if you take my opinion seriously (do you worry about others taking your opinion seriously?) <- and I don't mean that to sound sarcastic or snotty. Why do you think I am "obsessed"? Do you not spend as much time as me on Pinside? I've already noted that I make just as many compliments as I do criticisms but it's like that always falls on deaf ears. So what exactly do you think I am obsessed about? Absolutely I think JJP is a terrible company to do business with and I won't reiterate the numerous reasons I've given because the next post will be someone else stating "WE GET IT ALREADY, STOP". So don't ask me the same questions over and over. All that being said ... when I see a new game revealed I am completely honest about what I see (regardless of the manufacturer.) There are numerous awesome things in Hobbit (lcd animations and layout, amazing sound, code depth that is almost too deep, etc.) But then there are several glaring aspects that are on the opposite end of awesome (lack of toys, zero art direction across the entire game, a toy sculptor who is just average, etc.) Take the good with the bad and don't attack the messenger.

#425 5 years ago

Everyone.. Relax.

Screenshot_2014-10-17-21-05-48~2.jpg

#426 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Everyone.. Relax

Screenshot_2014-10-17-21-05-48~2... 136 KB

I prefer an IPA.

#427 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I prefer an IPA.

Just have to be contrary in San Diego sometimes you want something other than an IPA

#428 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Just have to be contrary in San Diego sometimes you want something other than an IPA

But you have the best hops in the country over there!

#429 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Nope, we do up in the PNW.

#430 5 years ago

Jack told me once that Smaug will grab balls off the wireform and drop them in the subway hole behind him...so there was more interactive plans at SOME point.

#431 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Jack told me once that Smaug will grab balls off the wireform and drop them in the subway hole behind him...so there was more interactive plans at SOME point.

He told me VERY early on that there would be a lower playfield too. But I get that things happen and things have to change occasionally.

#432 5 years ago

Jack?

#434 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

On I know, but I've gotten pickier now / over saturated with over 100 breweries now and think all but one of them with an IPA (or Sculpin is my current goto IPA.. But alpine Nelson is favorite but have to drive like 12 miles for a growler.

Looks like hobbit beers are from Washington.
http://seattlebeernews.com/2014/08/fish-brewing-introduces-the-hobbit-series-of-beers/

#435 5 years ago

what am i doing wrong that a video i want to post keeps coming up did not get video id? from pinside when it finishes loading...i took the video with iphone 5

#436 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

what am i doing wrong that a video i want to post keeps coming up did not get video id? from pinside when it finishes loading...i took the video with iphone 5

Many people have been stating the same issue this week. You really need to send it to YouTube first and then just embed the link here.

#437 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

On I know, but I've gotten pickier now / over saturated with over 100 breweries now and think all but one of them with an IPA (or Sculpin is my current goto IPA.. But alpine Nelson is favorite but have to drive like 12 miles for a growler.
Looks like hobbit beers are from Washington.
http://seattlebeernews.com/2014/08/fish-brewing-introduces-the-hobbit-series-of-beers/

Excellent! I'm in Michigan and we have a plethora of fantastic micro breweries as well (not the least of which being Bell's, Founders, and New Holland.) But we still appreciate that the best hops come from the West coast.

#438 5 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Many people have been stating the same issue this week. You really need to send it to YouTube first and then just embed the link here.

im sending u the video post it for me..i dont do utube

#439 5 years ago

Hah we just started getting Bells two hearted in town here its good stuff too

#440 5 years ago

IMG_0653.jpgIMG_0652.jpgIMG_0661.JPGIMG_0660.jpg

#441 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

im sending u the video post it for me..i dont do utube

FYI, I posted the video to the Hobbit videos thread for those interested ...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-expo-gamplay-videos-post-here-please

#443 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The modders will have a field day.
So what if the included Smaug is toothless and boring? The modders can take an existing Smaug model, modify it and add it to the game.
People pay $500 for a Creature hologram, or $400 for a LCD screen with video modes, so $500 for a fearsome replacement Smaug? Sounds doable.

smug.jpg 43 KB

Your alternate Smaug is highly detailed and looks downright scary....just what we want and need. Without teeth, Smaug is a geriatric dinosaur. Dragons are fear-inducing monsters - wicked and evil, but this Smaug toy is not threatening. As for coloring, Smaug looks good in red and would look great in mirrorred brass. Current gold coloring does not fit well, but maybe it is just lighting. So... room for improvement of Smaug or I will be looking to replace once I get the game. But agree with your comment that I shouldn't have to spend a bundle to change it, it should come that way nib. Hoping it is modified before production.

#444 5 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The gold-covered Smaug in the movie is not orange, he's shiny gold. Maybe the Orange picture is just a weird picture with funny lighting. Would Smaug be better in shiny gold?
ยป YouTube video

Agreed. While the powder coat gold look nice, mirror brass would look better and be a better fit. I'd suggest changing trim, wireforms and Smaug to shiny gold!

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I assume you mean the lighted apron? I thought that looked suspiciously like something not revealed.

#446 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

15 controllable up\down targets
Player controllable windlance, diverter and orbit subway

#447 5 years ago

CraZ4pin thanks for the update and pictures.

I think you get flamed mostly because you are so combative and have an opinion that does not match most peoples.
You make some valid points and have your own opinion and I am thankful you are not afraid to share it.

I think honestly they spent a ton of money on hardware and had not much left for finishing touches.
That said it is loaded with hardware best I can tell. orc spider...controlled gate and drops double VUK with subway. I must play one in person myself to truly decide where I stand. I really like the new cabinet art. Love drop targets and "trolls".

I do hope it is dressed up a little more before release. To all who are in and like what you see, I wish you all great joy in your new game.

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

15 controllable up\down targets
Player controllable windlance, diverter and orbit subway

I noticed that as well in the brochure. Could that mean that the 3 targets below the book "toy" have been replaced with 4 drops in the production version of the game?

The player controllable windlance sounds like being able to push the fire button when the ball is near the kickback and the peg is in the up position. I guess that the peg is the Windlance? I was thinking, and hoping, that the Windlance toy was a motorized canon type toy on the apron of the game modeled to look like a mini Windlance.

I hope that Jack can comment on all of these concerns that myself and others have. Surprises are good but I think a lot of people, including myself, took Thursday's reveal as the production game as nothing was said otherwise. Surprises are good but its now affecting sales as I know of several people who are already planning on asking for a refund on their preorders and I myself have been considering it.

At this point with the price increase and the production date only two months away I think it would be great if we as customers could know everything that will be in the final version of the game.

I feel bad for the distributors that will be losing out on sales of this game because of something like this that can be prevented with a statement. My distributor is great and I want to buy a game through him but at the end of the day I have to look at what I'm getting in a $7500 (now $8k-$9k for some people) game.

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Smaug itself does look not bad. But its not nicely integrated in the playfield yet. It is surrounded by metal.
If that region gets filled with walls, or other objects, plus lightning, i think smaug will look awesome.

can do

#450 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Well, they already sold 1500 at $7500 so 2500 isn't crazy

I had not heard they sold out of the LE game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Forever
$ 88.00
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springboro, OH
There are 1424 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 29.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside