troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg
There are 1,424 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 29.
#1101 9 years ago

I'll take some steak knives

#1102 9 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

I was reading other threads and see that it was a company called Back Alley that created Smaug (along with the pop-up figures?) I wonder if this same company created that book as well? JJP seems to have put an awful lot of faith in that company even after the bashing they took previously? I hope they haven't already been planning to use them again on Pat Lawlor's game #3? Anyone know the answer to that? I also wonder if JJP is now relying on this same company to redesign the Smaug area? Hope not.

Matt R of Back Alley is an employee of JJP. Matt owns Back Alley as well. Matt did the sculpt toys for WOZ, Hobbit, and likely Pats game. He's good...don't worry.

#1103 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Matt R of Back Alley is an employee of JJP. Matt owns Back Alley as well. Matt did the sculpt toys for WOZ, Hobbit, and likely Pats game. He's good...don't worry.

Not an employee, but close enough. Gotta remember the sculpts all come from someone else's design and have to be approved, just like everything else. I believe Matt said on another thread that he had designs he liked better for the pop-ups, but these were chosen by the studio instead.

#1104 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wow, really? It's just one person? I assumed it was a whole creative team/company doing the toys. They rely on just 1 single person for creating the toys in an entire game?? That does not seem wise at all given their (his) past work, no?

If you're not worried I'm certainly not worried! I was just hoping for the best for this game. Actually, I was really hoping JJP was going to announce an affordable "regular" version of this game but I guess that's not happening (since the regular edition is now simply priced as the limited edition was.)

#1106 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Rushing the game out as is or with little improve would be more of a mistake as many would pull out of their preorders.
» YouTube video

The pull out has already happened. Everyone I know personally who had TH on order is now out. The last two hold outs canceled after the demoralizing Expo reveal. Fixing what is wrong with this game beyond small things like the book toy without a time machine would mean months and months of delays. Best to cut losses, produce the games with some quick band aid fixes for damage control and move on to game 3 with Pat Lawlor possibly saving the company from outright failure.

#1107 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Yes, the Smaug toy as it stands looks incomplete, but I think we're living in different worlds if a ship that shakes when you hit a target and then bends forward is "kicking the ass" of a head that turns to reveal itself, has a full range of software controlled rotation and talks.

So what you are saying is at these prices TH and STLE are for suckers only

#1108 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The pull out has already happened. Everyone I know personally who had TH on order is now out. The last two hold outs canceled after the demoralizing Expo reveal. Fixing what is wrong with this game beyond small things like the book toy without a Time Machine would mean months and months of delays. Best to cut losses, produce the games with some quick band aid fixes for damage control and move on to game 3 with Pat Lawlor possibly saving the company from outright failure.

Well. It sounds like the game at Expo wasn't even complete anyway and that was before all of the criticism. The action button on the lockdown didn't exist, the ball just dropped off the Smaug divertor, the apron looked incomplete and the book was just a placeholder. By IAAPA next month I think the game will look much more polished liked planned.

It's not time to cut losses now. I bet they have a ton of money already invested into the game. In my opinion it's time to focus, make some of the changes the customers want and produce a kick ass game. The bones for an amazing game are there but now it just needs to brought to life with some more modeled out areas and polish in other areas of the game.

If a lot of customers are backing out I hope we hear soon from Jack what some of the changes that came out of the four hour team meeting are.

#1109 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well. It sounds like the game at Expo wasn't even complete anyway and that was before all of the criticism. The action button on the lockdown didn't exist, the ball just dropped off the Smaug divertor, the apron looked incomplete and the book was just a placeholder. By IAAPA next month I think the game will look much more polished liked planned.

I think you figured out jjp's secret. The action button brings out all kind of mechs, wireforms and shit to hit besides standup targets. Kudos on figuring it out.

#1110 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The bones for an amazing game are there but now it just needs to brought to life with some more modeled out areas and polish in other areas of the game.

Thats' where I'm worried. I don't see "the bones of a great game." Weak PF art? OK.. I can live with the "licensor handcuffed us" excuse. But the lack of any really interesting looking shots and the brutal Smaug? I don't know that there's enough lipstick to put on that pig.

If JJP were completely free to make changes on the fly, that would be one thing- but we've heard over and over all the restrictions from the license. I think that license agreement handcuffed JJP into a pinball machine whose art/mechanics were dictated by non pinball people.... hard to overcome that.

I think the smart money is flying OUT of this game. Maybe not permanently, but at least until they show its more than a great theme....

#1111 9 years ago

Just out of curiosity if someone switches from LE to SE will it delay production time or will LE's and SE's be done at the same time. In others words are all the LE's being made then the SE's?

#1112 9 years ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

Just out of curiosity if someone switches from LE to SE will it delay production time or will LE's and SE's be done at the same time. In others words are all the LE's being made then the SE's?

Both at same time. If you go from LE to SE you will not lose your production spot

#1113 9 years ago

JJP will be fine. They just sold 86 to a movie theater.

#1114 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

By IAAPA next month I think the game will look much more polished liked planned.

I'll be at IAAPA to check it first hand. NFW will the Smaug toy "polished like planned" and that is the main reason people are bailing.

I do look forward to the controlled drop targets and hope there is some more polished software at least by then.

#1115 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

he was crowing about putting a quote together for this, did jack confirm the sale went through today? jack is really transparent lately, good to see. how many cancelled pre orders did he mention he had to process since expo?

#1116 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

but I think we're living in different worlds if a ship that shakes when you hit a target and then bends forward is "kicking the ass" of a head that turns to reveal itself, has a full range of software controlled rotation and talks.

You conveniently forgot to mention that the ship on STLE shoots the ball back at you. However I never said anything about the ST ship. I was thinking more like the LE Hulk or the POTC ship. They talk back to you and move, and they look much better than the Smaug. Then theres those pop up target characters, and axes. They all just look terrible in my opinion. I love my WOZ game but the witch and trees just don't look right.

I just think that JJP needs some help with their toys because they are not innovative and detailed enough. DP and Stern makes better pinball toys so far. Simple as that. Ass kicking may be a little exaggerated but this is Pinside so...

#1117 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

But the lack of any really interesting looking shots and the brutal Smaug?

I don't know if it will happen, but just imagine, all droptargets up, one is down. You have to hit the standup target behind that droptarget. Only Problem is this gap in the droptargets is moving like a wave around, sometimes it stops and goes the other way around. So you have one moving target similar to the crane in Batman DK. Would this be a cool shot?
I don't know if we will see this. But with Keith on the code there are so many very cool things he can do with this technic, things we have never seen before in a Pinball game. So I am sure this will work out and I take it over just one smash toy that would shake or bend down. Smaug will interact as main evil antagonist of this game. Just like the witch in WOZ.
I still think all what this game needs is more bling. I don't want to see diverters and ugly flat pastics they should be covered with 3D things. I think the ramps should look like something that the dwarfs could have forged.
Smaug is the new king of the dwarf city, undisputed ruler of the lonely mountain. It's his dominion and we want to conquer him and take what he has robbed from the dwarfs. The smaug head looks good, the animation when he talks is great, but without his surrounding he looks more like one of the two old muppets who are taunting fozzy bear. I would wish, that as a player I would have to be careful not to wake him up....he will lure you in and he will kill you, cause he should act and look evil and dangerous, it's his nature.

Smaug.jpegSmaug.jpeg

#1118 9 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

I emailed to cancel yesterday. Got a call from Jen today to process the cancellation. She said they know Smaug has been getting bashed on pinside and it is not done yet. Tried to convince me to stay on by reminding me it will be $1000 more later if I changed my mind.

With that kind of pitch, all the more reason to cancel.

#1119 9 years ago

Where is the IAAPA?
How many vendors go?

#1120 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

We don't know that. They were asked for a quote for 86 machines. Big difference.

#1121 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'll be at IAAPA to check it first hand. NFW will the Smaug toy "polished like planned" and that is the main reason people are bailing.
I do look forward to the controlled drop targets and hope there is some more polished software at least by then.

Great to hear that someone with skin in the game will be there. Looking forward to seeing pics and your thoughts on the version of the game presented there.

#1122 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Where is the IAAPA?
How many vendors go?

Road trip?

#1123 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

So what you are saying is at these prices TH and STLE are for suckers only

Not at all, even though prices are pretty crazy I tend to look at relative value. And, relatively speaking, I think Smaug does much more than Stern's toys.

Of all Stern's LE's, I was considering STLE due to its sound, the way it looks, plays and its lighting effects, its toys were a detractor.

#1124 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Keep believing that.

#1125 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Thats' where I'm worried. I don't see "the bones of a great game." Weak PF art? OK.. I can live with the "licensor handcuffed us" excuse. But the lack of any really interesting looking shots and the brutal Smaug? I don't know that there's enough lipstick to put on that pig.
If JJP were completely free to make changes on the fly, that would be one thing- but we've heard over and over all the restrictions from the license. I think that license agreement handcuffed JJP into a pinball machine whose art/mechanics were dictated by non pinball people.... hard to overcome that.
I think the smart money is flying OUT of this game. Maybe not permanently, but at least until they show its more than a great theme....

Hmmm, I think the layout looks awesome. A little vanilla granted, but awesome. It's basically a fan like AFM, MM, MB but in a widebody with a kickback, drops, spinners, pop-ups, and a captive ball. What's not to like?

#1126 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Not at all, even though prices are pretty crazy I tend to look at relative value. And, relatively speaking, I think Smaug does much more than Stern's toys.
Of all Stern's LE's, I was considering STLE due to its sound, the way it looks, plays and its lighting effects, its toys were a detractor.

Sterns toys like MET hammer that puts the ball under the playfield or like ac/dc lower playfield I like my ST pro a lot but feel the LE has no bang for the buck.

#1127 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

You conveniently forgot to mention that the ship on STLE shoots the ball back at you. However I never said anything about the ST ship. I was thinking more like the LE Hulk or the POTC ship. They talk back to you and move, and they look much better than the Smaug. Then theres those pop up target characters, and axes. They all just look terrible in my opinion. I love my WOZ game but the witch and trees just don't look right.
I just think that JJP needs some help with their toys because they are not innovative and detailed enough. DP and Stern makes better pinball toys so far. Simple as that. Ass kicking may be a little exaggerated but this is Pinside so...

The ship doesn't shoot the ball at you, the kicker on the playfield shoots the ball at you, unlike the Borg ship on STTNG that actually shoots the ball at you.

I like Hulk, but what does he do? Raises his arms and turns. His mouth does not move.

Did you see the short game over video of Smaug. His mouth was perfectly in sync with the words, they weren't just randomly flapping. It really added to the effect.

I wondered why Smaug didn't have teeth and then I saw a photo of the real Smaug when his mouth is closed. No teeth show and the one in the game looks good compared to this. Makes sense that the mouth won't close if it's loaded with teeth.

I will withhold judgement until I see the finished product because I think filling in the missing stuff might make a world of difference.

#1128 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Sterns toys like MET hammer that puts the ball under the playfield or like ac/dc lower playfield I like my ST pro a lot but feel the LE has no bang for the buck.

I thought the MET hammer was a very cool idea when I first saw it revealed. But in practice I didn't like it so much because the way it was timed and synced to the sound did not bring home the effect of it pounding the ball into the playfield. It also blocked my view of the shot to Sparky from the right flipper.

It's been a while since I've played it so they may have improved the choreography.

I thought the lower playfield on AC/DC wasn't much fun and a waste the way it was used. Though that may have also changed with more recent code. Love the Bell though.

#1129 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Great to hear that someone with skin in the game will be there. Looking forward to seeing pics and your thoughts on the version of the game presented there.

Just to clarify if I gave the wrong impression. I don't have a TH on order so no skin in the game.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Where is the IAAPA?
How many vendors go?

IAAPA is an incredible amusements vendors show. Pinball vendors go, but that is just a fart in a windstorm compared to the full magnitude of the show itself. It is many acres both inside and outside. It is really meant to be a trade show but every day Joe's can get in on Thursday and Friday for a reasonable fee if you don't have friends who are insiders. Here is my video from a couple of years ago. Wow! Its over 5000 views!:

IAAPA runs Monday-Friday and Free Play Florida is just moments away in Orlando for the weekend! Come for both!!

www.freeplayflorida.com

Edit: Skip to about 5:45 of the video

#1130 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Just to clarify if I gave the wrong impression. I don't have a TH on order so no skin in the game.

IAAPA is an incredible amusements vendors show. Pinball vendors go, but that is just a fart in a windstorm compared to the full magnitude of the show itself. It is many acres both inside and outside. It is really meant to be a trade show but every day Joe's can get in on Thursday and Friday for a reasonable fee if you don't have friends who are insiders. Here is my video from a couple of years ago. Wow! Its over 5000 views!:
» YouTube video
IAAPA runs Monday-Friday and Free Play Florida is just moments away in Orlando for the weekend! Come for both!!
http://www.freeplayflorida.com
Edit: Skip to about 5:45 of the video

That is the greatest bowling alley I've ever seen!!!!

#1131 9 years ago

Hypothetically, (because I know Jack said he is under contract to deliver the game by Dec 17th ), how many of you would trade another year of delay, in order to have an actual full dragon and mountain?

#1132 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

(because I know Jack said he is under contract to delivery the game by Dec 17th ), how many of you would trade another year of delay

This is what it comes down to time. If the game needs to be out by Dec 17th not much will change. I would much rather have a delay and better game. I am not confident that all of my concerns about hobbit can be addressed in the given time frame, sucks because I was really looking forward to this game.

If possible I would much rather have it delayed as long as possible to get it right.

#1133 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hypothetically, (because I know Jack said he is under contract to delivery the game by Dec 17th ), how many of you would trade another year of delay, in order to have an actual full dragon and mountain?

TH needs far more than those changes for me to ever purchase one.

#1134 9 years ago

IAAPA is in less than one month. All those who are waiting until then for a final opinion should reduce their expectations.

#1135 9 years ago

I don't think it'll take a year to get this right. We're talking about one feature that could easily be designed and implemented in 3 to 4 weeks. Approvals may be the bottleneck. I doubt a major redesign is called for, some really good suggestions on improving the cosmetics will satiate the majority of naysayers.

#1136 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I don't think it'll take a year to get this right. We're talking about one feature that could easily be designed and implemented in 3 to 4 weeks. Approvals may be the bottleneck. I doubt a major redesign is called for, some really good suggestions on improving the cosmetics will satiate the majority of naysayers.

...and I think most are already done. What was at expo wasn't final. Several items were missing.

#1137 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

IAAPA is in less than one month. All those who are waiting until then for a final opinion should reduce their expectations.

This is the rationalization I have also come to. . .

#1138 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

...and I think most are already done. What was at expo wasn't final. Several items were missing.

I was referring to giving Smaug a makeover. The rock has got to go. See my suggestion a couple pages back to replace it with a gold pile with the smaugs sleeping eye sticking out. Upon activation it lights up to simulate waking then rotating to reveal and improved smaug head with lit eyes like in the movie.

#1139 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I don't know if it will happen, but just imagine, all droptargets up, one is down. You have to hit the standup target behind that droptarget. Only Problem is this gap in the droptargets is moving like a wave around, sometimes it stops and goes the other way around.

Smaug.jpeg 60 KB

There is no doubt in my mind we will see moving targets with the individual drop target controls

#1140 9 years ago

I am under the impression that there are a couple of magnets under the playfield that also were not active at Expo. Can anyone confirm?

#1141 9 years ago

Who knows whats really going on with this game. They very well could have intentionally left parts off the game because itis part of the third film or they could have all the moldings made but not fully ready in time for expo. Its all really just a guess. They very well could have a fully completed machine at jjp and Jack wanted to get the customers reaction to the game to decide what things they could scrap to save money if everyone liked it. You just dont really know whats spin or not.

#1142 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Bummer. I need to take the weekend off after Thanksgiving. No way I can take two weekends : (

#1143 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I am under the impression that there are a couple of magnets under the playfield that also were not active at Expo. Can anyone confirm?

you can totally see them in abe's pics, but go ahead and ask until your blue in the face as no one cares to comment.

#1144 9 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

you can totally see them in abe's pics

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm sure I'll hear about them eventually.

#1145 9 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

you can totally see them in abe's pics, but go ahead and ask until your blue in the face as no one cares to comment.

It looks like there are a couple of magnets, but they're at the top of the playfield. I would guess they are used to snag a ball from an orbit shot and either drop it into the Smaug area or the pop bumper area.

#1146 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think that JJP can make Smaug just as interactive as the castle in Medieval Madness if not more. How?
Right now Smaug looks like a small separate toy, as do the drops in front of it, the VUK to the left of it, the ramp divertor and the divertor for the ball lock. If everything can be tied together to look like one area, the Lonely Mountain in this case, it will come off as very interactive and extremely impressive toy.
Here's what I suggest.
1. Do not model out the rest of Smaug. I thought this was a good idea at first but it would look odd when the mountain faces the player and the rest of Smaug is just sitting there stationary. We do not need any headless Smaug jokes, haha.
2. Model out the Lonely Mountain instead. Model the mountain out around the sides and even above the Smaug toy. Make the back of Smaug look like the Front Gate of Erebor below. The entire left back area of the game will come off as the Lonely Mountain. That would look bad ass in my opinion.
3. Add detail to the mountain like in the picture below. The castle in MM is detailed and it shows. Doing so will make the player more immersed in the world of Middle Earth.
The end result is a large and detailed Lonely Mountain in the game, the gate of Erebor facing the player and ultimately the middle area of it turning around to reveal Smaug. The castle in MM is amazing but this would be even cooler in my opinion.

I did this in Paint very quickly (yes I know it looks terrible, haha) but it gives you a rough idea of how the Lonely Mountain would exist in the game. The image in the middle of the mountain is from above and that would be the Smaug toy that rotates leaving the rest of the mountain stationary around it.

hobbitenvironmentereboralrg2.jpg 238 KB

306335.jpg 46 KB

This would have been a great idea. Especially if you could shoot the ball in the front doors then reveal Smaug. I love the makeshift mockup pic. That made me laugh. But still this is already a better idea that what i've seen implemented first hand. Maybe the games not physically done yet.....but if that's the case. It's a VERY bad move for JJP to reveal something only half assed.

Back when WOZ was revealed half assed, it was a different ballgame. There really wasn't any competition and the colors and changing LED's were new and refreshing. made It look above and beyond what else was available, even if it did play like shit. But now, he can't get away with that. Too much other stuff that is above and beyond being released. The days of WoWing people with a half ready game are over. If anything, sales are going to drop off and money is going to the better presented games. Might have worked for WOZ, but it's giving to your own pooper here.

#1147 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hypothetically, (because I know Jack said he is under contract to delivery the game by Dec 17th ), how many of you would trade another year of delay, in order to have an actual full dragon and mountain?

A year? No way. 3-4 months? Absolutely.

#1148 9 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

That's some pretty selective interpretation right there.... plenty of ways I could write that to mean how you are interpreting it, but that one seems pretty clear to me. I basically panned jjp, have only owned sterns except for one lol.
Awesome, my first ignore! Now I remember why I avoid posting on pinside.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, liver lip.

#1149 9 years ago

Everyone is currently talking about how disappointing the game currently appears (understandably). The really pathetic thing is that nobody is overly disgusted by the annoucement of a new edition. The fact that people actually seem relieved they can "upgrade" to the SE is ludicrous. People are being incredibly gullible!!! There is absolute zero difference to the SE. Not even ONE PENNY more in BOM cost. Not a single penny!! Am I wrong? You just had your "limited edition" dilluted and you are excited about it? Ummm, why? lol ... it's insane what just happened but because the game istelf is so underwhelming that discussion is top priority right now. Helllllo ... you just got SCREWED no matter what happens! Yay!

#1150 9 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

Everyone is currently talking about how disappointing the game currently appears (understandably). The really pathetic thing is that nobody is overly disgusted by the annoucement of a new edition. The fact that people actually seem relieved they can "upgrade" to the SE is ludicrous. People are being incredibly gullible!!! There is absolute zero difference to the SE. Not even ONE PENNY more in BOM cost. Not a single penny!! Am I wrong? You just had your "limited edition" dilluted and you are excited about it? Ummm, why? lol ... it's insane what just happened but because the game istelf is so underwhelming that discussion is top priority right now. Helllllo ... you just got SCREWED no matter what happens! Yay!

How did anyone get screwed? The dragon art is better. If anyone thought that a 1500 piece LE was EVER going to appreciate then they need their head checked. For anyone in its the same price. For anyone not in...well, stick with the LE because you're right there isn't any extra "value" there. Zero people got "screwed".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 1,424 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaug-toy-revealed/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.