troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg
There are 1,424 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 29.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Drastically affects the aesthetics and ... does Smaug live in a mountain? Or a castle? Why not model the castle which would have been 100X more appealing to the eyes???

Smaug lives in a castle?!? I've read the book, not seen the movies, but I'm pretty sure he lives in the Lonely Mountain.

#52 9 years ago

Where does it say that?

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Drastically affects the aesthetics and ... does Smaug live in a mountain? Or a castle? Why not model the castle which would have been 100X more appealing to the eyes???

Yes he does live in the mountain where all the gold is located.

#54 9 years ago

This must be a pre-production game. Looks awesome, the only thing I see that seems unfinished is the stainless steel ramps. The ramps could use some graphics or etching on the outsides, like the VUKs.

#55 9 years ago

I too was hoping for a bit more. King of the dragons will still be the one residing over the damsel ramp on mmr.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

More like flashers or something. They already said in the other thread he is not a bash toy and does not grab the balls. From the picture it looks like no way for the ball to be loaded from below and shoot out either. So it is a dragon Rudy head. Which is kind of cool. They should have let us know this a long time ago so it would not have come as such a let down to some.

He's not Rudy 'cause Rudy eats balls

I mean that in the cleanest and nicest of ways....

#57 9 years ago

Is that book final and Does smaug interact with the ball at all? hoping we get more videos and pictures of this game in action.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Where does it say that?

Sorry, the price was in Abel's other thread, in the one I linked to he says if you order the LE now they'll convert it to Smaug:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-preorders-thru-abel-electronics

#59 9 years ago

I think that price is for the LE and not the Smaug Gold SE. Just my guess.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Is that book final and Does smaug interact with the ball at all? hoping we get more videos and pictures of this game in action.

No ball interaction with the smaug toy, just speaking and lights

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think that price is for the LE and not the Smaug Gold SE. Just my guess.

I'm not in the market so I'm not sweating it either way, but the way I read Abel's posts, he's saying currently $8k for the LE (I assumed that was tonight only based on Jack's posts about price increases, but who knows) and that if you order the LE now you can then shift to Smaug Edition for free. But probably best to clarify that with Abel before ordering!

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

No ball interaction with the smaug toy, just speaking and lights

really kind of lame and that book. . . . I just can't get over the placement of it and it just looks out of place. I have to see more pictures and video, but very underwhelmed by this reveal.

#63 9 years ago

Smaug ... from a player's perspective. SmaugReally.jpgSmaugReally.jpg

#64 9 years ago

I think the sculpt looks great. The mix of Smaug, the gold and the rocks really looks sharp. Bummed that he doesn't 'interact' with the ball, but it still looks like a fantastic game. Wonder why they bothered taking up real estate with him. Seems like they could have made a talking Smaug topper or a figure inside the backglass 'on display' or something, then put another toy on the actual playfield.

#65 9 years ago

Smaug looks like he needs more things around him to make it look more like a mountain, it looks very unfinished in my eyes. Looks like he just crawled out from under a rock. That book I hope is just a place holder. Are there supposed to be more plastics or something around smaug and the ramps?

#66 9 years ago

Probably not very often .. but it sure seems like a ball would get hung-up behind the mountain/Smaug, no?

Smaug5.jpgSmaug5.jpg

#67 9 years ago

Well, down here it's probably going to be 12k. Oh well, better get on the phone and order it. It is pretty cool, even though in that previous photo Smaug looks like a goat!

#68 9 years ago

Is this funny or what, does the floating head Smaug remind anyone of another toy?

#69 9 years ago

I think the Smaug looks rather good. I think if Matt could have placed some teeth in somehow it would have looked a bit better.

#70 9 years ago

Whats in Smaugs mouth??? Lol looks like a flamethrower

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Is this funny or what, does the floating head Smaug remind anyone of another toy?

Kind of looks a little like the dwarfs mounted his head to a mountain plaque like a deer.

#72 9 years ago

I was hoping my 8000 dollars was going to get me an interactive smaug that actually interacted with gameplay? And the book?? Theres a dollar out of the 8000, hopefully they at least change that to an lcd book or something. Smaug should do so much more. He's cool, but not 8000 cool.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

I was hoping my 8000 dollars was going to get me an interactive smaug that actually interacted with gameplay? And the book?? Theres a dollar out of the 8000, hopefully they at least change that to an lcd book or something. Smaug should do so much more. He's cool, but not 8000 cool.

He can't do more. Licensor wouldn't allow it.

#74 9 years ago

Letdown? Comon! I think Smaug looks pretty impressive. I've been looking at several games being played and the "turnaround" movement is very impressive. I'm actually glad Smaug doesn't do more. I mean, what would you have him do, come down to the playfield and eat the ball? Keeping it simple makes the thing serviceable and keeps money left over in the budget for stuff that really matters (like the four popups and the amazing drops).

smaug.jpgsmaug.jpg

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

He can't do more. Licensor wouldn't allow it.

lol. You did not just say that?!? After all the criticism of the cabinet artwork ... now you want to suggest that the Smaug toy could not interact with a pinball or "can't do more" because the licensor would not allow it?? Wow, JJP has run into some unusual licensor demands compared to past licensed games by other manufacturers.

#76 9 years ago

I guess, but no one has a problem with that book?? You would think Stern lent it to them and said "use this, they will still buy it, we have been doing it for years".

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Letdown? Comon! I think Smaug looks pretty impressive. I've been looking at several games being played and the "turnaround" movement is very impressive. I'm actually glad Smaug doesn't do more. I mean, what would you have him do, come down to the playfield and eat the ball? Keeping it simple makes the thing serviceable and keeps money left over in the budget for stuff that really matters (like the four popups and the amazing drops).

Yeah, I'd *much* rather him do more! Like fire balls at me. Or better yet, real fire!

But seriously, Smaug is definitely a let down for me. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but definitely a let down.

Quoted from twinmice:

I guess, but no one has a problem with that book?? You would think Stern lent it to them and said "use this, they will still buy it, we have been doing it for years".

Yes, the book looks ridiculous.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

L ... O .. L !!!! You did not just say that?!? After all the criticism of the cabinet artwork ... now you want to suggest that the Smaug toy could not interact with a pinball or "can't do more" because the licensor would not allow it?? Wow, JJP has run into some unusual licensor demands compared to past licensed games by other manufacturers.

I'm not suggesting it. I'm telling you it. You obviously weren't paying attention. Jack even said that in his talk. You really are a joke and live up to the first 4 letters of your name.

Jeez. Switch meds lol.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I mean, what would you have him do, come down to the playfield and eat the ball? Keeping it simple makes the thing serviceable and keeps money left over in the budget for stuff that really matters (like the four popups and the amazing drops).

Ummm .. you mean like T-Rex did in the Jurassic Park pin from 20+ years ago? Uhh, yeah, that would be a start. And .. what did that game cost?? Jack has privately stated to many folks that Smaug would interact with the ball in 2 different ways. What are they?

#80 9 years ago

I gotta tell you guys, im on the fence right now, and the back of Smaug, i understand it's supposed to be a mountain, but they need to redo it, it looks very out of place, bad really.

#81 9 years ago

I think the hobbit looks pretty cool. It has elements from a bunch of other games like the pop up targets from MM and the smaug toy is like the joker from BDK. Looks like it will be a fun table.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not necessarily a deal breaker, but definitely a let down.

The LCD and sound will make up for it

#83 9 years ago

I was hoping Smaug would SOMEHOW interact, so that is a letdown.

But, if they give him some teeth, at least he will look cool.

#84 9 years ago

smaug looks pretty good but i was hoping for more interaction with the ball like many others. i am really looking forward to see what jjp#3 will deliver.

#85 9 years ago

I love drop target games and I think the 15 individually controlled drops with targets behind them is going to make for some great game play, especially with Keith programming.

I like way Smaug talks and with the lighting effects it looks pretty good to me.

Overall, I'm very excited about the game.

#86 9 years ago

I am too! Its the drops and the pop ups habitrails etc. The fact Smaug is talking to you and following while breathing light i mean fire is very cool. Did you see under the playfield? I think we need to relax and wait for some good game play video because when you read what this machine does it is a whole different level. Keith mentioned taking different paths and over 30 modes etc. This thing is nuts to be honest and apparently with a ton of flow!

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

So it is a dragon Rudy head.

No, not even that. Rudy opens his mouth and you can shoot a ball inside it and he'll spit it out. Rudy is more advanced (and that was 24 years ago).

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Jack has privately stated to many folks that Smaug would interact with the ball in 2 different ways. What are they?

Well, he does: He looks at it and he talks to it...

#89 9 years ago

Those underwhelmed with Smaug must have had very high expectations !?
I find it cool from the pictures I saw (not "wow" cool, but cool - some pictures seem good, others not). Waiting for good videos of its integration in the game.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Well, he does: He looks at it and he talks to it...

I'm sure the ruleset is deep and cool. But visually ... really? 8K plus? They're justifying the reason(s) for switching to cabinet decals, and yep there's an lcd now (I still love this) ... but how the heck did we ever so easily give into game prices going from 4k (4.5K) all the way to 8k-9k+ for so little innovation? More detailed toys? Where are they? Interacting with the ball in more ways? How so? Someone was just touting the incredible innovation the other day that we would see revealed ... as if we just could not fathom what was coming ... but, where is it?? WTH?

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Those underwhelmed with Smaug must have had very high expectations !?
I find it cool from the pictures I saw (not "wow" cool, but cool - some pictures seem good, others not). Waiting for good videos of its integration in the game.

I expected Smaug to fly around the playfield breathing fire and picking up pin balls. What a let down, I'm OUT!

#92 9 years ago

It seems that the licensor has put too much restrictions on the game-planning. Those restrictions probably were not known, at the time when the Smaug-toy features were originally discussed/announced. That's why it is such a letdown now - people waited more from the toy - they expected to get some new invention, something new to pinball.

I have been waiting for TH, but it looks like TBL would win the race for me.

#93 9 years ago

Blaming the licensor for the limitations of Smaug is Jack officially admitting its failures.

#94 9 years ago

So, all it does is spin around like the Joker in Batman (BDK) and talk like the Skull from No Fear?... Good thing they kept that under wraps for so long, don't want someone to steal the design and idea

#95 9 years ago

Smaug looks decent. But yeah, I was looking forward to the "different ways Smaug interacts with the ball". Turns out, he doesn't. So this highly innovative toy is nothing like JJP suggested it would be. Wtf? I don't care for lame excuses, bottom line is, they didn't get it done.

#96 9 years ago

The Hobbit looked ok, but looked nothing like the big lebowski

#97 9 years ago

What's that big black rod in Smaugs' mouth?

It must do something?!??

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from seeker939:

Smaug looks decent. But yeah, I was looking forward to the "different ways Smaug interacts with the ball". Turns out, he doesn't. So this highly innovative toy is nothing like JJP suggested it would be. Wtf? I don't care for lame excuses, bottom line is, they didn't get it done.

Come on the 24k gold coins are awesome!

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

The Hobbit looked ok, but looked nothing like The Big Lebowski

Play both...I feel the opposite now. Maybe playing them will change opinions. I'm still sold on RGB lightshows. They are unparalleled.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

What's that big black rod in Smaugs' mouth?
It must do something?!??

Lighting?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Hardware
Pinball Haven

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.50
There are 1,424 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaug-toy-revealed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.