Topic Stats

• 1,424 posts
  • 237 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Captain_Kirk
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 78 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
dragon.jpg
image.jpg
imgres-4.jpg
image-66.jpg
elf-1.jpeg
abandon-thread-97122.gif
abondon thread hole.gif
troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg

There are 1424 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 29.
#601 5 years ago

I am SO glad I decided not to buy TH and bought MMr instead.

If I'd had bought TH, I'd be bailing out w/o giving it as second thought.

WOZ, to me, just looks SO much better.

#602 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah you did screw up there John, can we get anybody that has actually played TH at expo that has anything positive to say about it?
The reviews seem overwhelming but what I'd really like to know is does TH look noticeably "cheap" sitting next to Woz? I mean give us an honest opinion, basher or not. That tell me all I need to know.

C2C review said "Game looked absolutely amazing" 21:00 minutes in. The podcast concentrates on TBL more as he got invited up to Phil's VIP private viewing party. Making me rethink that (TBL) game. I had dismissed it on principal due to price, TH was over my limit but I was so impressed with the quality of WoZ I stretched my limit. Podcast here: http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-113-expo-2014-day-1_28797

#603 5 years ago

Quite funny how some individuals are still trying to salvage this trainwreck of a reveal.

We didn't get to see much awesomeness in the TH. Even if the code is gonna be great that's only what you'd expect. Seen that price tag? And been listening to Jack? The whole package should be the best thing in pinball ever.

#604 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

C2C review said "Game looked absolutely amazing" 21:00 minutes in. The podcast concentrates on TBL more as he got invited up to Phil's VIP private viewing party. Making me rethink that (TBL) game. I had dismissed it on principal due to price, TH was over my limit but I was so impressed with the quality of WoZ I stretched my limit. Podcast here: http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-113-expo-2014-day-1_28797

Thanks, listening now!

#605 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wtf does that mean, let's get specific?

You sales guy. Seems obvious to me what he meant.

#606 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Now that's funny right there, even Panzer is disappointed!

I have to give him credit though. As much crap as I have given him in the past about posting non stop about toys and how important they are to him, he has at least shown that he's not a hypocrite given his disappointment with Hobbit thus far.

#607 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Target drop and pop-up action easy to see in this clip.
ยป YouTube video

Great video!

#608 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have to give him credit though. As much crap as I have given him in the past about posting non stop about toys and how important they are to him, he has at least shown that he's not a hypocrite given his disappointment with Hobbit thus far.

No doubt, I respect that about him!

#609 5 years ago

Have to say I was disappointed in Hobbit reveal as well, but staying in for now with a feeling there's much more to come! Hopefully

#610 5 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

In regard to 28+ modes though ... seriously, how many diferent goals (modes) can you define (rule-wise) by changing which targets need to be hit and in what order?? 5 or 6 modes seems a little small ... but now you're on the opposite end of the spectrum with 28+. I can guarantee that just simply stating "Hey, this game has 28+ modes in it!!!" will NOT get more consumers to walk up to it and put in more quarters.

Thank you for saying this, it's rather an important point, 28 modes is great but what if 15 of those modes are different drop targets mixtures you have to hit...that could get a bit repetitive.

#611 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wtf does that mean, let's get specific? Same exact thing was said about Woz.
Btw, i agree that a whole lot looks disjointed, and Smaug is disappointing to say the least

If I have to explain game physics and geometry we have bigger issues.

Examples: ramps too far back. Clumsy whale tail diverter, pops an after thought in the game. The game is literaly shooting stand up target banks on the left/right/back perimeter. Orbit is a bad shot with a entrance too far to the left (have to play from the flipper tip) imo. Very limited shots.

Need any more?

Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah you did screw up there John, can we get anybody that has actually played TH at expo that has anything positive to say about it?
The reviews seem overwhelming but what I'd really like to know is does TH look noticeably "cheap" sitting next to Woz? I mean give us an honest opinion, basher or not. That tell me all I need to know.

Honest answer, it looks cheapened down. Not in quality of components but in scope and toys. It's almost like jjp said holy shit we took a bath on Woz, no way we can dump that much money in to a game at that price point and stay afloat. I'm not saying that's the case but that how it feels to me. I guess woz's success is coming back to hurt them when judged against it. I'm not hating on jjp but to see hobbit as anything but a step back is naive. Call it the sophomore slump.

#612 5 years ago

This game has a great sounding sub!

#613 5 years ago

Like everyone, I had high hopes for Smaug and was somewhat let down it wasn't as "cool" as it was built up in my expectations. For me the disappointment in Smaug was more than offset by the promise of an epic deep ruleset.

I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of upgraded cabinet decals though I feel they should be included on the early buyer LEs in lieu of the promised direct print that got nixed.

The SE Smaug option reveal was a bonus. It may seem to skeptics the limited time offer of an alternate color scheme and art (at no cost to JJP) is a marketing ploy to add $500 to the LE but it's nice to have options and it is being provided free to existing LE buyers, so that's nice. There is some JJP investment in the SE too. It did cost at least something to create and will add a little overhead in production to track production variations & alternate attract software for this version.

So all in all I'm happy with what I see so far.

As for expectations going forward. I expect the software in the end to be nothing short of epic. TSPP and LOTR on steroids with added effects we have seen on WoZ like programmed flipper modes (ex: reverse, no hold, maybe a couple more like delayed, battle weary weakening, inverse control? something..)

The Shire was kept secret too long for the book to be the big reveal there so I am expecting another surprise there.

I am not expecting but am hoping a topper will be included as well.

If It turns out like I am expecting, I'll be satisfied, If it it turns out like I'm hoping I'll be thrilled.

#614 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Honest answer, it looks cheapened down. Not in quality of components but in scope and toys. It's almost like jjp said holy shit we took a bath on Woz, no way we can dump that much money in to a game at that price point and stay afloat. I'm not saying that's the case but that how it feels to me. I guess woz's success is coming back to hurt them when judged against it. I'm not hating on jjp but to see hobbit as anything but a step back is naive. Call it the sophomore slump.

That was my biggest concern, Jack trying to make back up what he blew on Woz, to his own fault because it took too long. I had decided before expo that TH would be off the table for me, despite pre order, because of all the other options out there and Lawlor coming soon, then got excited with the Gold Smaug edition and knowing Keith will be coding it. I always like "different", I don't like steps back.

Thus, I'll be pulling out of this one for now, thanks for the honest review!

#615 5 years ago

I'm just hoping those of us paid up who ask for a refund won't have a problem. I went through a distributor. Come Monday from the looks of these threads, there are going to be multiple cancelations. Do they have the cash on hand to make good?

#616 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

As for expectations going forward. I expect the software in the end to be nothing short of epic. TSPP and LOTR on steroids with added effects we have seen on WoZ like programmed flipper modes (ex: reverse, no hold, maybe a couple more like delayed, battle weary weakening, inverse control? something..)

The Shire was kept secret too long for the book to be the big reveal there so I am expecting another surprise there.

If It turns out like I am expecting, I'll be satisfied, If it it turns out like I'm hoping I'll be thrilled.

That's a great summary on my feelings as well. I've decided that I'll wait and see and if its thrilling later I'll pick it up. It will be excellent on a lot of levels.

Nobody gives JJP credit for the awesome LCD interaction. It's phenomenal.

#617 5 years ago
Quoted from tb2767:

I'm just hoping those of us paid up who ask for a refund won't have a problem. I went through a distributor. Come Monday from the looks of these threads, there are going to be multiple cancelations. Do they have the cash on hand to make good?

What is the official JJP cancellation policy? Don't know?

#618 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Nobody gives JJP credit for the awesome LCD interaction. It's phenomenal.

That's the most impressive thing I've seen in the videos on Hobbit thus far.

#619 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Like everyone, I had high hopes for Smaug and was somewhat let down it wasn't as "cool" as it was built up in my expectations. For me the disappointment in Smaug was more than offset by the promise of an epic deep ruleset.
I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of upgraded cabinet decals though I feel they should be included on the early buyer LEs in lieu of the promised direct print that got nixed.
The SE Smaug option reveal was a bonus. It may seem to skeptics the limited time offer of an alternate color scheme and art (at no cost to JJP) is a marketing ploy to add $500 to the LE but it's nice to have options and it is being provided free to existing LE buyers, so that's nice. There is some JJP investment in the SE too. It did cost at least something to create and will add a little overhead in production to track production variations & alternate attract software for this version.
So all in all I'm happy with what I see so far.

Now that's a post I can respect. I'm glad your excited for it. Btw, the cabinet decals on the empty cabinet they were showing were out f'ing standing. The new standard that all cabs should hope to be.

Quoted from iceman44:

That was my biggest concern, Jack trying to make back up what he blew on Woz
Thus, I'll be pulling out of this one for now, thanks for the honest review!

You're not the only one coming to that conclusion.

N/P man. I soo wanted this to be wozesque.

#620 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's the most impressive thing I've seen in the videos on Hobbit thus far.

Agreed. The ball lock video sequence is nothing short of stunning. High def clarity.

#621 5 years ago

On a plane now flying home from Expo. I'll have more thoughts later, but I just finished reading this thread, was very curious to see what people were thinking.

It's not really clear if this is the "Smaug toy thread" or if I should just post everything I'm thinking. So for the moment I'll make some general comments and then talk about the toy.

First off The Hobbit was next to a Ruby Red WOZ. I'm not a WOZ hater, I think it's an interesting game. I have a lot of criticisms of it, but overall I would call it a strong title. The weak parts are overpowered by the strong parts, if we leave out all the waiting, and broken light boards, etc etc and just focus on the 4.0 code game as it stands now.

That's just for some context.

Hobbit just looked bizarre next to it. Empty, and stripped down, and kind of bland. WOZ has so much color and eye candy and multiple levels etc. It's not a fan layout, not a ramp game, but it feels like there's a lot to do and shoot for.

Hobbit just feels like the opposite. It was weird to see them side by side and think that WOZ was supposed to be the "worst" game that JJP makes.

I watched people play, and flipped it a little. It was set to one ball, no ball save, and I drained fast. I'll be honest, I was tired, was up until 4am the night before, but I really didn't feel like hitting start again. I'm sure the gentleman behind me would have let me, but I just waved him forward. (He was the only one waiting. Big Lebowski had three games set up, and each had a line 6 people deep. Was very interesting to see the contrast.)

Smaug was okay I guess. I didn't hate seeing his jaws move when he was talking. But it looked like all you saw was the stupid mountain back (it looks really lame, empty grey blob) for most of the time, then it would spin around, he'd spit off a movie line, then spin back. So yeah, you don't interact with it, and you don't even see it all that much.

The gold coins are too big. It makes the scale of the dragon feel like he's really tiny. Like a big dog, not a huge dragon.

There are weird exposed wires and blank areas and around Smaug and the mountain it's just almost industrial looking. Maybe that's going to be finished more? I hope so.

All I can say at this point is the game looks like it had its heart ripped out. I really hope for JJP's sake that it's a really early prototype and in now way close to final. If that's it then I just can't see how anyone would want to play through 30 modes or whatever it is on it. There's just not enough to shoot for.

The plastic axes on the slings look awful by the way worse in person. I don't understand why they did that. I'd rather they were just left off all together than look like that.

I saw some of the "MM troll popups", not clear how much they'll be used with the early code. I mean, it's a popup target. Not a terrible idea or anything, but like Smaug they're hidden most of the time, and so you get the bland mountain back and the big open, empty widebody playfield, and it just feels really dull.

The VUKs look really awful. They block the view, they're ugly, the decals on them are drab. I don't get why they aren't wireforms. Would look way nicer. They have no bottom, you see the ball shoot up into them in the gap, then it vanishes. Seeing them go up and around the wireform would be so much cooler.

I'll try and list some things I liked: The glossy Smaug cabinet decals looked great. I see why Jack got pissed at me, my quick mockup was right on the nose. Funny. But it's what I asked for and boom, there it was. Looked sweet.

The insert lighting was nice, some color changing glowing effects. Way too early in code to compare to WOZ though.

Uh ... I dunno what else. The drop targets had no decals, they were like dark red with red standups behind them I think. Might have the details wrong. But nothing really made them stand out, and they kinda just went up and down in random ways. With code I imagine that will become more clear. With all the modes I guess Keith will squeeze every trick out of them he can, there's not enough else to shoot for.

The display was a mixed bag. A lot going on, I didn't find it easy to scan for info. The parts around the edges/corners had smooth animation, none of the jerky stuff I don't like on WOZ. Dwarves fading in and out and stuff like that.

The video in middle is hopefully placeholder. Like one mode that's in there now was the "contract" mode and it featured Bilbo reading the contract and walking around his home. Over, and over and over again. Just looped that movie scene. I was tired of it almost right away, I didn't find it interesting even once, let alone looping. I really hope they're not going just keep playing movie clips in the middle there.

I talked to a lot of people at Expo (if I met you today then nice to meet you!) and we all talked Hobbit. I literally met only one person who liked it. And a lot of people who were harsher than I'm being.

I think JJP has a problem on their hands. They need to fix this game somehow or it's going to bomb. If there are secrets, or more to reveal, or things not done, or whatever, then speak up! I want it to be a success. I don't see it right now. Just the truth as I see it.

Wow, sorry, that was more than I meant to write.

#622 5 years ago

Here is my theory. I think what we saw at the expo isn't the current/latest build and isn't the current state of the project. I'll bet this is a machine that is a few months back (and has been stripped, and features removed due to patents, not ready to be demo'd, or due to licensing can't show. So JJP has to go dark on us until they can reveal at the end of the year.

#623 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll make some general comments and then talk about the toy.

Thanks for the info...needed a pin fanatic's take on it.

#624 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Here is my theory. I think what we saw at the expo isn't the current/latest build and isn't the current state of the project. I'll bet this is a machine that is a few months back (and has been stripped, and features removed to patents, not ready to be demo'd, or due to licensing can't show. So JJP has to go dark on us until they can reveal at the end of the year.

It just doesn't make sense that Jack wouldn't have made it clear that this was a prototype and that there was more to come if that was the case.

It appears that it's possible that he was wrong when he said that WoZ would be the worst game that JJP ever makes.

#625 5 years ago

Last expo when Woz was debuted the crystal ball wasn't shown.

I think same goes for this year and Hobbit. Nothing of third film, lockbar with button and maybe a bow and arrow toy feature maybe when complete ?

#626 5 years ago

One last item, some have described THLE as being less attractive than WoZ which most everyone but the JJP haters will agree is nothing short of stunning. That's understandable since WoZ is more whimsical and colorful in daylight vs THLE. THLE has a more sepia tone to it due to the theme, especially taking in the apron's rather monochrome map theme. I agree in the daylight WoZ grabs your attention more than THLE but for me, I prefer to admire and play my games in their "home" in my gameroom which is in the dark where the lights do their magic. In that environment the lighting really takes center stage. I have TSPP which most will agree is a pretty colorful with it's pastel pallet sitting next to AC/DC Premium. With room lights on, TSPP is a much more attractive pin than the darker photoshopped art of AC/DC BUT with the lights off, AC/DC with it's LEDs really pops. I expect the improved lighting in THLE to really shine as well. I would expect the light show and effects we are yet to see will be on par with WoZ. Again, if it is comparable, I'll be more than pleased. Add the improved GI lighting on THLE over WoZ for gameplay, I'll be more than satisfied with the machine's aesthetics.

#627 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hobbit just feels like the opposite. It was weird to see them side by side and think that WOZ was supposed to be the "worst" game that JJP makes.

Aurich, after playing it do you really get the feeling like this is JJP's best shot? The same company made the WOZ sitting next to it - so if it looks that far off the mark it must mean that it isn't finished. Also, let me put it another way, if you were JJP would you release the game the way it is now? I am sure they have the same answer.

#628 5 years ago

I don't care what anyone says about this, I can't wait for one. 28 modes with Keith's goodness? F yeah!

I'm GLAD the smaug doesn't gobble balls like an Olsen twin, it's neat the first time in JP, and then after that you kinda wish it didn't do that. I'm still excited about the layout, there are shit loads of shots, and with all the target banks, tons of opportunity for interesting play.

Think about LOTR for a second. I wasn't active in pinball at this time, but if that came out, before the rules really exploded say (regardless if the rules were there or not), the comments would be "meh, It's MB with a toy that does less than Frank".

Just wait for this game to evolve as the WOZ rules have.

#629 5 years ago

What people are saying here is far nicer than what's being said off the record. It may get better but by contrast TBL started later and is amazing. Makes you wonder.

#630 5 years ago

What is the official JJP cancellation policy? Don't know? - /iceman44

Actually, I looked on their website and could't find it....not that it would much matter if 500 plus people started demanding refunds at $$7500 a pop

#631 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Here is my theory. I think what we saw at the expo isn't the current/latest build and isn't the current state of the project.

If this is the case people need to know and what will change in the final game. If this is the current state of the game and final it's not looking so hot for the hobbit. I am sure after expo JJP will speak out and give an update on whats final and whats not.

was the lower subway working at all to people that played it?

#632 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Aurich, after playing it do you really get the feeling like this is JJP's best shot? The same company made the WOZ sitting next to it - so if it looks that far off the mark it must mean that it isn't finished. Also, let me put it another way, if you were JJP would you release the game the way it is now? I am sure they have the same answer.

I have a long memory, and remember very well similar reactions to the early WoZ code. "This can't be it, we were promised complete code". "Keefer is surely sitting on this large chunk of code that can't be shown for reasons X, Y or Z... and it will be released TOMORROW". etc. etc.... Now a similar reaction to people in denial about the hobbit.

And the stupidest thing is it could be cleared up in about 30 seconds by Jack, and either he loves to hate the negative attention or he is crazy? Just state "more is coming, re: the windlance and other issues (e.g. unfinished look at the back of the game, where the heck is the smaug tail, etc...)", or keep collecting names from people cancelling their orders. Crazyness.

I am sure he thought he had a slam dunk, with the Smaug ultra LE etc... a reasonably complete game to flip on... and instead he gets a bloodbath of disappointed customers and people on the verge of cancellation.

#633 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think JJP has a problem on their hands. They need to fix this game somehow or it's going to bomb. If there are secrets, or more to reveal, or things not done, or whatever, then speak up! I want it to be a success. I don't see it right now. Just the truth as I see it.

100% agree

#634 5 years ago
Quoted from tb2767:

What is the official JJP cancellation policy? Don't know? - /iceman44

Actually, I looked on their website and could't find it....not that it would much matter if 500 plus people started demanding refunds at $$7500 a pop

you can get 100% of your money put down on machine I understand until time it actually ships!

#635 5 years ago

Thanks for the review Aurich. I only hope we will see or hear something from JJP in the very near future. I want this game to be great.

#636 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Best shot? No. I have no idea why. They ran out of money. The license tripped them up. There were personality conflicts. People quit in the middle. Gremlins. WOZ was a fluke. This is all a trick and there's a whole finished game yet to be shown. No clue. But it's not even an okay shot right now, it's like a rough concept. Could it be polished into a good game? I definitely think so. But only with more work.

If I was JJP I wouldn't have shown the game at all, let alone let people flip it. If this is it then I think it's just going to be a giant flop. If there's more to come or I'm somehow wrong I'll admit it, this isn't based on really in depth impressions and play time. But it felt really raw, unfinished, and just generally unimpressive.

If you offered me a Hobbit Gold Smaug glossy cab LE edition for $6500 shipped now the only way I'd take is it to flip it for a TBL. And I'd be worried I couldn't flip it because people wouldn't want it.

I could really say a lot more about the sound, the video screen, the art, etc, but it just doesn't seem like there's much point. The sound can be fixed (some annoying high pitched sound effects, and maybe they had it turned up too loud, it sounded too boomy, callouts were repetitive). The video is probably early, I'm fine with not judging it yet. Code is early.

But the playfield, is this it? I mean, I didn't even mention the book! It's a widebody with no stuff. No idea why the third flipper is there, maybe that will be more clear later with the modes. If this game has more to come then someone speak up! Drop a hint, something. It's obvious it's a JJP game, the LCD screen backglass alone says that. But this isn't the game I thought we'd get. Okay, it's 400 pounds, and the underside is packed. That's all the drop targets and popup targets. I need more than something that's really heavy.

I think Keith is great, crazy respect. He says he's going to show us how mode based games should be. Maybe he see shit I'm not, he's a smart guy and I just watched the game on a show floor. But I flipped LOTR today too (to see the bad ass ColorDMD!) and as much as I find that game ugly, it's got so much more going for it than Hobbit. If you like Middle Earth get that with the ColorDMD instead for a lot less money.

#637 5 years ago

This reminds me so much of last year. I had a deposit down since spring 2013 for an STLE. I viewed all of the video and threads from Expo. It is easy to forget the huge backlash against the pin right after its debut. I watched, worried, panicked, and then, like a lot of others, cancelled my order. Ultimately, I gave it a second chance, and I finally bought one, as did quite a few others. That taught me not to rush to judgment. I am concerned at this point, but I want to give TH a fair shot. There is no benefit to me in making a snap judgment based on partial information. I am learning to be patient.

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

On a plane now flying home from Expo. I'll have more thoughts later, but I just finished reading this thread, was very curious to see what people were thinking.
It's not really clear if this is the "Smaug toy thread" or if I should just post everything I'm thinking. So for the moment I'll make some general comments and then talk about the toy.
First off The Hobbit was next to a Ruby Red WOZ. I'm not a WOZ hater, I think it's an interesting game. I have a lot of criticisms of it, but overall I would call it a strong title. The weak parts are overpowered by the strong parts, if we leave out all the waiting, and broken light boards, etc etc and just focus on the 4.0 code game as it stands now.
That's just for some context.
Hobbit just looked bizarre next to it. Empty, and stripped down, and kind of bland. WOZ has so much color and eye candy and multiple levels etc. It's not a fan layout, not a ramp game, but it feels like there's a lot to do and shoot for.
I watched people play, and flipped it a little. It was set to one ball, no ball save, and I drained fast. I'll be honest, I was tired, was up until 4am the night before, but I really didn't feel like hitting start again. I'm sure the gentleman behind me would have let me, but I just waved him forward. (He was the only one waiting. Big Lebowski had three games set up, and each had a line 6 people deep. Was very interesting to see the contrast.)
Smaug was okay I guess. I didn't hate seeing his jaws move when he was talking. But it looked like all you saw was the stupid mountain back (it looks really lame, empty grey blob) for most of the time, then it would spin around, he'd spit off a movie line, then spin back. So yeah, you don't interact with it, and you don't even see it all that much.
The gold coins are too big. It makes the scale of the dragon feel like he's really tiny. Like a big dog, not a huge dragon.
There are weird exposed wires and blank areas and around Smaug and the mountain it's just almost industrial looking. Maybe that's going to be finished more? I hope so.
All I can say at this point is the game looks like it had its heart ripped out. I really hope for JJP's sake that it's a really early prototype and in now way close to final. If that's it then I just can't see how anyone would want to play through 30 modes or whatever it is on it. There's just not enough to shoot for.
The plastic axes on the slings look awful by the way worse in person. I don't understand why they did that. I'd rather they were just left off all together than look like that.
I saw some of the "MM troll popups", not clear how much they'll be used with the early code. I mean, it's a popup target. Not a terrible idea or anything, but like Smaug they're hidden most of the time, and so you get the bland mountain back and the big open, empty widebody playfield, and it just feels really dull.
The VUKs look really awful. They block the view, they're ugly, the decals on them are drab. I don't get why they aren't wireforms. Would look way nicer. They have no bottom, you see the ball shoot up into them in the gap, then it vanishes. Seeing them go up and around the wireform would be so much cooler.
I'll try and list some things I liked: The glossy Smaug cabinet decals looked great. I see why Jack got pissed at me, my quick mockup was right on the nose. Funny. But it's what I asked for and boom, there it was. Looked sweet.
The insert lighting was nice, some color changing glowing effects. Way too early in code to compare to WOZ though.
Uh ... I dunno what else. The drop targets had no decals, they were like dark red with red standups behind them I think. Might have the details wrong. But nothing really made them stand out, and they kinda just went up and down in random ways. With code I imagine that will become more clear. With all the modes I guess Keith will squeeze every trick out of them he can, there's not enough else to shoot for.
The display was a mixed bag. A lot going on, I didn't find it easy to scan for info. The parts around the edges/corners had smooth animation, none of the jerky stuff I don't like on WOZ. Dwarves fading in and out and stuff like that.
The video in middle is hopefully placeholder. Like one mode that's in there now was the "contract" mode and it featured Bilbo reading the contract and walking around his home. Over, and over and over again. Just looped that movie scene. I was tired of it almost right away, I didn't find it interesting even once, let alone looping. I really hope they're not going just keep playing movie clips in the middle there.
I talked to a lot of people at Expo (if I met you today then nice to meet you!) and we all talked Hobbit. I literally met only one person who liked it. And a lot of people who were harsher than I'm being.
Wow, sorry, that was more than I meant to write.

The axe on two of the sling shots are metal with decals on the sides... Stick ur hand in there and touch a sling shot by accident u will be going to the medicine cabinet for sure... There not plastic like u think u observed.
Thanks
Lorenzo

#639 5 years ago

JJP was bringing prototype WOZs to shows for like nine months if I recall correctly and nothing changed when it came out except the software was a little more polished (still woefully early though) and they had a new topper that still was in no way interactive as they had advertized it would be. Point is, with only two months before shipping I severely doubt there will be any changes to the playfield. If there are it will be something quick thrown together for damage control after bombing at Expo. Maybe replacing the book, but nothing major like a Smaug redesign.

This time around JJP are not just going against Stern. Newcomers like TBL and WOOLY have set the bar. With MMr and Heighway, there are a lot of options.

#641 5 years ago

This is why if it isn't a finished product there should not be a "reveal". It gets people worried.

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The axe on two of the sling shots are metal with decals on the sides... Stick ur hand in there and touch a sling shot by accident u will be going to the medicine cabinet for sure... There not plastic like u think u observed.
Thanks
Lorenzo

Well they look like ass, whatever they're made out of, and they also look like plastic. Fix them or ditch them, I would never want to look at them on my game. It's a good idea, I have the boogie man mod on my Scared Stiff, I dig it there. But this execution is seriously lacking.

#643 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well they look like ass, whatever they're made out of, and they also look like plastic. Fix them or ditch them, I would never want to look at them on my game. It's a good idea, I have the boogie man mod on my Scared Stiff, I dig it there. But this execution is seriously lacking.

Ur view of them was lacking cause u were tired. Relax guy

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

This is why if it isn't a finished product there should not be a "reveal". It gets people worried.

I think Jack agrees and he hinted that he wasn't going to do partial reveals with Lawlor's pin - just show the finished. Also, again, I don't think they have 2 months to fix what we saw this weekend. It has to be farther along than that.

#645 5 years ago

Regarding the Smaug SE cabinet art: the pattern that goes along the bottom edge (all the way around). I would recommend it have dwarven ruins (like the books dust cover) that say: The Hobbit Or There And Back Again Being the Record Of A Years Journey Made By Bilbo Baggins Of Hobbiton

Or something like that. But I guess they have bigger issues

I guess I just think Ruins on it would look great if possible.

#646 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

JJP was bringing prototype WOZs to shows for like nine months if I recall correctly and nothing changed when it came out except the software was a little more polished (still woefully early though) and they had a new topper that still was in no way interactive as they had advertized it would be. Point is, with only two months before shipping I severely doubt there will be any changes to the playfield. If there are it will be something quick thrown together for damage control after bombing at Expo. Maybe replacing the book, but nothing major like a Smaug redesign.
This time around JJP are not just going against Stern. Newcomers like TBL and WOOLY have set the bar. With MMr and Heighway, there are a lot of options.

What bar has WOOLY set ?

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Ur view of them was lacking cause u were tired. Relax guy

Um, with all due respect, my eyes were fine. They look bad. Feel free to disagree, but don't tell me what I think or to "relax".

#649 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

What bar has WOOLY set ?

Bringing a functioning game to market without customer financing would be at the top of my list. Instead of, "here's our idea, give us money and we'll build it." Wooly said, "I'll build an example, if you like it, show me the money and I'll build more."

#650 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Um, with all due respect, my eyes were fine. They look bad. Feel free to disagree, but don't tell me what I think or to "relax".

Ur right not my place to tell u what u think. But they are metal so ill correct that and other people will know what they are getting. Thanks, no disrespect meant before

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 88.00
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York, NY
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
7,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pensacola, FL
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 1424 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 29.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside