troll-wrong-1.jpg
image-901.jpg
image-712.jpg
image-4.jpg
image-345.jpg
panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg
There are 1,424 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.
#1 9 years ago

Smaug! Thoughts?????

SmaugToy.jpgSmaugToy.jpg

#2 9 years ago

I'm VERY impressed by what Keith showed off in terms of software, but Smaug appearance-wise, I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed. The toy could never live up to the hype, and I'm not an expert on any visual art at all, but he looks less polished than the rest of the machine imo. He's not bad, just ok.

That said, I trust he is involved in the gameplay enough to offset that. Hoping for video this weekend to prove that out. Overall I was very impressed by JJP this evening.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I'm VERY impressed by what Keith showed off in terms of software, but Smaug appearance-wise, I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed. The toy could never live up to the hype, and I'm not an expert on any visual art at all, but he looks less polished than the rest of the machine imo. He's not bad, just kinda, meh.
That said, I trust he is involved in the gameplay enough to offset that. Hoping for video this weekend to prove that out. Overall I was very impressed by JJP this evening.

Totally agree. The head looks great but wish there was more.
However, if he adds to the game playability-wise and makes it more fun, I'm all good.

#4 9 years ago

I heard your question to Jack, and think you're a petulant butt-wipe. Please go away. Smaug the Magnificent is awesome!

#5 9 years ago

A little underwhelmed, surprised to see a metal fish tales ramp in the center.

#6 9 years ago

Smaug itself does look not bad. But its not nicely integrated in the playfield yet. It is surrounded by metal.

If that region gets filled with walls, or other objects, plus lightning, i think smaug will look awesome.

#7 9 years ago

Ok in motion it is pretty damn cool. It's still isn't at the level of the other aspects of the machine, but with so much motion its probably inevitable in some ways.

#8 9 years ago

I hate to say this and further hate to put down anyone, but I am not impressed at all. JJP has one of the best programmers in the pinball world, one of the best animators in the pinball world and one of the best themes in the pinball world..............but it definitely does not one of the best sculptures in the pinball word.

#9 9 years ago

So does smaug do anything other than spin around?

#10 9 years ago

I like the motion (spinning around to reveal Smaug). I think that's pretty cool. I like the movement of the mouth too assuming Smaug is always talking at the same time. That's pretty neat too. But I am not first one to state that I really wanted to see a full-body Smaug. Just his head is disappointing and the detail is just okay (again, I just don't see the true talent from Back Alley). It's not great. It's okay. And I am surprised that there's no LCD on the playfield? What does that book do?

#11 9 years ago

I agree I am a bit underwhelmed with smaug. . . . and that plastic book looks like ass . . . is that placeholder? does it do anything?

#12 9 years ago

Does Smaug eat or spit balls? I just assumed he did but is that confirmed?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I agree I am a bit underwhelmed with smaug. . . . and that plastic book looks like ass . . . is that placeholder? does it do anything?

Yes...it gives mod makers something to think about over the next two months!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So does smaug do anything other than spin around?

His lips move and he talks.

Doesn't appear to be any direct interaction with the ball.

I'm underwhelmed.

Everything else looks great for the most part.

Does Smaug eat or spit balls? I just assumed he did but is that confirmed?

He does not do either.

#15 9 years ago

The play field is impressive, but emphasis should not have been on smaug reveal. Just looks meh.

#16 9 years ago

I'm VERY impressed by what Keith showed off in terms of software, but Smaug appearance-wise, I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed. The toy could never live up to the hype, and I'm not an expert on any visual art at all, but he looks less polished than the rest of the machine imo. He's not bad, just ok.

So both a TBL and TH for you? You can store them at my old house...

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm underwhelmed.

If it's just a puppet, Vonnie D could have come up with it

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I hate to say this and further hate to put down anyone, but I am not impressed at all. JJP has one of the best programmers in the pinball world, one of the best animators in the pinball world and one of the best themes in the pinball world..............but it definitely does not one of the best sculptures in the pinball word.

Really would have liked to have seen what Dennis Nordman could have done with this theme. That playfield is just bland as can be and the upper flippers don't seem to belong. What can they hit that can't be hit with the lower flippers?

I do love drop targets though and the idea of so many of them and all of them being individually controlled brings some amazing possibilities.

#19 9 years ago

I expected Smaug to grab the ball in some way, magnetic tail, dunno, just something really interactive.

Game looks great though.

#20 9 years ago

Very disappointed, really thought it was going to interact with the ball. Why the buildup for this?

#21 9 years ago

If it's just a puppet, Vonnie D could have come up with it

There's a big difference between an actual moving dragon toy and a picture of one!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

So both a TBL and TH for you? You can store them at my old house...

You said you only had room for one more, all of a sudden theres plenty hey?

#23 9 years ago

I think the talking Smaug is cool. I can get JP if I have to watch a ball being swallowed.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's a big difference between an actual moving dragon toy and a picture of one!

You missed the joke. Vonnie D used puppets for advertising.

#25 9 years ago

I thought about this for a minute. The bash toy in Lord of the Ring, spins around, and you just hit it, with a flasher going off, and some noise. It's ok.
With Smaug on the Hobbit, you get it spinning around, the mouth opening, and red lights looking like flames. I also read on the brochure that he is going to speak, so all in all, it's going to be a better presentation that the bash toy in Lord of the Rings, so I'm good with it. I think in the end, it will be great.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Very disappointed, really thought it was going to interact with the ball. Why the buildup for this?

Exactly. That was a big marketing mistake in my opinion. You save the Smaug reveal as one of the last things and it gets built up with anticipation, then you find out that it's not even interactive? Disappointing.

Music and call outs seem like they will be great though, and much more appealing to me that WoZ

#27 9 years ago

You said you only had room for one more, all of a sudden theres plenty hey?

I said OLD house. There is plenty of room there now. Room for 9+. I like having multiple houses just to store games...

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

With Smaug on the Hobbit, you get it spinning around, the mouth opening, and red lights looking like flames. I also read on the brochure that he is going to speak, so all in all, it's going to be a better presentation that the bash toy in Lord of the Rings, so I'm good with it. I think in the end, it will be great.

I will say this. The sound is amazing which makes the Smaug reveal very exciting along with the mouth movement.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I will say this. The sound is amazing which makes the Smaug reveal very exciting along with the mouth movement.

Definitely agree on the sound.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm underwhelmed.

At least you won't be overwhelmed by Smaug's verbal acuity, genius. Er, Rob T(roll).

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I said OLD house. There is plenty of room there now. Room for 9+. I like having multiple houses just to store games...

Oh cool, can I live there rent free then? You can play on weekends!

#32 9 years ago

Oh cool, can I live there rent free then? You can play on weekends!

May as well at this point. You can be a squatter with privileges.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

At least you won't be overwhelmed by Smaug's verbal acuity, genius. Er, Rob T(roll).

Cute.

#34 9 years ago

You missed the joke. Vonnie D used puppets for advertising.
» YouTube video

Wow, I never saw that. haha.

#35 9 years ago

The rock around the Smaug's head doesn't make any sense.

#36 9 years ago

And the flyer says that Smaug steals your balls. It looks like a magnet in his mouth?

#37 9 years ago

If Smaug smiled for a picture and you could see him for his profile (versus a player's perspective) ... here he is.

Smaug2.jpgSmaug2.jpg

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I don't think he's being a troll, Captain.
Smaug is very underwhelming. I think many of us were expecting more is all.
The rest of the pin looks amazing! Just a little shy in the "dragon" department.

Again, I can't wait to hear from those lucky enough to play it. Sounds very deep rule-wise so maybe Smaug won't be the deciding factor.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, I never saw that. haha.

Yeah it's a whole other thread of fun lol

#40 9 years ago

So how much is the Smaug Gold Edition that was announced today?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

So how much is the Gold Edition that was announced today?

$9k

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

So how much is the Gold Edition that was announced today?

well, MSRP is 9K .. but that's the thing ... they don't mention what your local distributor's actual price might be. Could be only $200-$300 than the original LE's price of 8K.

Ruby Red's are selling for far below the MSRP of 9k.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

The rock around the Smaug's head doesn't make any sense.

I thought so too, but he spins around to be hidden by the rock then revealed. Actually not that bad of an idea imo but it does drastically affect the aesthetics.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

The excitement is based on JJP's slight of hand. Announcing a new SE that is the same as the old LE but with different artwork/trim and a gold painted Smaug and raising the price $1000. Now everyone that bought a $7500 Hobbit suddenly owns a $9000 game because Jack said so! I can't believe people fall for this. It's still the same game as before, JJP just raised the price again and made it look a little bit different. Smaug edition costs no more to make than the regular LE yet the price is $1000 more.

#45 9 years ago

I thought so too, but he spins around to be hidden by the rock then revealed. Actually not that bad of an idea imo but it does drastically affect the aesthetics.

Drastically affects the aesthetics and ... does Smaug live in a mountain? Or a castle? Why not model the castle which would have been 100X more appealing to the eyes???

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

well, MSRP is 9K .. but that's the thing ... they don't mention what your local distributor's actual price might be. Could be only $200-$300 than the original LE's price of 8K.

Abel electronics is offering $8k if you order tonight:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-pics-from-expo-preorder-from-abel-electronics

#47 9 years ago

The rock is most likely the Misty Mountain. And Smaug is revealed from behind the mountain

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballace:

And the flyer says that Smaug steals your balls. It looks like a magnet in his mouth?

More like flashers or something. They already said in the other thread he is not a bash toy and does not grab the balls. From the picture it looks like no way for the ball to be loaded from below and shoot out either. So it is a dragon Rudy head. Which is kind of cool. They should have let us know this a long time ago so it would not have come as such a let down to some.

#49 9 years ago

I thought the sculpture is ok but if it's not interactive than it could have been more detailed, IMHO.

#50 9 years ago

Yes he does.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 1,424 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smaug-toy-revealed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.