Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Banker
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IM Mark VII - Life Size Bust.jpg
whiny.jpg
trollercoaster.jpg
party0005.gif
Over Your Head.jpg
10968328_930377710314159_909394977174141380_n.jpg
1969343_930377663647497_8526714410070659234_n.jpg
10408622_930377680314162_5054908397217634518_n.jpg
10981156_930377723647491_7103820603484622360_n.jpg

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2 4 years ago

Much better!

#3 4 years ago

does look good. now get to building!

#4 4 years ago

And Red Smaug takes the lead. Thank you sir, may I have another?

#5 4 years ago

Now that looks awesome!

#6 4 years ago

He looks menacing now! Great work!!!! and the pillars are great!

#7 4 years ago

Waaaaaay better.

#8 4 years ago

That's a great looking toy!

#9 4 years ago

Most impressive. Too bad mmr could have such a cool and similair toy

#10 4 years ago

Huge improvement!

#11 4 years ago

Red for the win.

Awesome improvement!

#12 4 years ago

After all the crap Matt took for his initial sculptures, I doubt anybody can really criticize him at this point. Incredible detail, wonderful work!

#13 4 years ago

Compared to T-rex in Jurassic Park? Looks GREAT! However, compared to quality artwork being done out there? Still not great. Mediocre artwork. Seriously ... he looks like a dead and stuffed head on the wall. He has zero expression and just a blank look in his eyes. Coloring is wrong too (on both versions). Does not look enough like the menacing Smaug in the movies.

Could I do better? Probably not. But I'm not trying to create quality sculptures for a living.

#14 4 years ago

Someone repost, will ya. The Book of Face is verboten.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Someone repost, will ya. The Book of Face is verboten.

Someone posted the pics on the Hobbit Update thread.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

After all the crap Matt took for his initial sculptures, I doubt anybody can really criticize him at this point. Incredible detail, wonderful work!

I think you're smoking something if you think this is amazing work by any means. Or maybe you're just not familiar with the quality of work done by artists like those at places like Sideshow Collectibles and Gentle Giant. That's quality.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Someone posted the pics on the Hobbit Update thread.

K, thanks.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from RealityCheck:

I think you're smoking something if you think this is amazing work by any means. Or maybe you're just not familiar with the quality of work done by artists like those at places like Sideshow Collectibles and Gentle Giant. That's quality.

It's ALL quality. Like comparing Van Gogh and Rembrandt. They're both artists and they both do great work. Art doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. But you know that and you're just trying to troll, I'm guessing.

#19 4 years ago

This is a pinball toy with very different requirements than a collectible. They aren't the same and shouldn't be compared to one another. Let's compare it to other pinball toys. In that case, Smaug wins.

#20 4 years ago

We are having a Hobbit and MMR Release Party on Sat 2/21 in Harrisburg PA area....

Details in this post :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstar-hobbit-and-mmr-release-party-sat-221

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

This is a pinball toy with very different requirements than a collectible. They aren't the same and shouldn't be compared to one another. Let's compare it to other pinball toys. In that case, Smaug wins.

It may "just" be pinball but it now has a price tag in the 8k-9k price range (more than double from just a decade ago) mainly because it is billed as being the highest quality. Im just saying this sculpture doesn't live up to that. Many other aspects of the machine do.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

This is a pinball toy with very different requirements than a collectible.

Bingo!

#23 4 years ago

It may "just" be pinball but it now has a price tag in the 8k-9k price range (more than double from just a decade ago) mainly because it is billed as being the highest quality. Im just saying this sculpture doesn't live up to that. Many other aspects of the machine do.

Luckily, nobody is paying 8-9k for just a Smaug head pinball sculpture, but they are getting the best looking head sculpture in all of pinball with their 8-9k purchase.

#24 4 years ago

10981156_930377723647491_7103820603484622360_n.jpg10968328_930377710314159_909394977174141380_n.jpg10408622_930377680314162_5054908397217634518_n.jpg1969343_930377663647497_8526714410070659234_n.jpg

#25 4 years ago

does anyone know if you can order the red Smaug with the gold edition still. Long way to phone Jersey from Maui!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Luckily, nobody is paying 8-9k for just a Smaug head pinball sculpture, but they are getting the best looking head sculpture in all of pinball with their 8-9k purchase.

Ahh, I see. My bad. So because this is a pinball machine and we're only comparing this to past pinball machines, it's therefore great artwork. That makes sense.

We certainly don't want to compare it to actual toy companies making toys like Gentle Giant and Sideshow Collectibles because ... wait, why? Because those toys are a small fraction of the price? Remind me again why we suddenly have to pay 8-9k for a "toy" pinball machine? That gorgeous direct-print cabinet? Gone. That cool topper? Gone. 100+ RGB inserts? Gone. Multiple (5-6?) Innovative toys in the game? Gone. Why on Earth should people be happy with "pretty good" on the single toy and central figure in the game when they're paying 8-9k?

Sure, I'll leave it at that.

P.S - the column pieces do look nice.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Could not have said it any better, toy vs something in a display case. Two totally different thing.

#28 4 years ago

Glad to hear that people are digging the updated look to the parts. Long hard road with all the requirements by WB and the can and can not's. But we have a finished product that I am happy with and glad to hear you guys like it too.

Thanks

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Glad to hear that people are digging the updated look to the parts. Long hard road with all the requirements by WB and the can and can not's. But we have a finished product that I am happy with and glad to hear you guys like it too.
Thanks

Hey man, long road, lots of criticism, but you came out better for it on the other side.

#30 4 years ago

Way to go Matt
Looks bad ass!!!!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Thanks

Great work Matt. Thanks!

#32 4 years ago

Looks fantastic! Nicely done, Matt.

#33 4 years ago

Amazing work Matt can you tone down the gold on the Gold version Smaug and let more of the red and black out? Pretty please

#34 4 years ago

That looks great, I do wish they would integrate a bit of a body into the gold pile, looks like the head is floating!

#35 4 years ago

Looking vicious Matt, Congrats!!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey man, long road, lots of criticism, but you came out better for it on the other side.

I'd put the word "much" in front of better!

It really does look great.

#37 4 years ago

I agree Matt looks just night and day over the first attempt. Glad you could steam roller over WB

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

does anyone know if you can order the red Smaug with the gold edition still. Long way to phone Jersey from Maui!

Nice. Although, I know you're not in Hana because you've got internet!

#40 4 years ago

I like both versions actually. Since we are getting the SE, we will probably order the red version as well.

#41 4 years ago

It did not need teeth, cause it aint eating balls. Would be a great troll post, lol.

People must not forget this aint just art. This is art which will be strong enough to easely digest full speed iron ball hits.

If your art does not have that risc, off course you can make it even better. But this is pinball man!

Looks great!

#42 4 years ago

Oh yeah, I'd like to see your Gentle Giant be able to handle a direct hit of balls to the face!

#43 4 years ago

Wait, that didn't come out right.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Oh yeah, I'd like to see your Gentle Giant be able to handle a direct hit of balls to the face!

? This has more to do with the material used than anything else and these other quality toy makers are not making their sculptures out of porcelain. That is one pathetic excuse (although i realize it's not coming from Matt).

I would not utilize Matt again on making character sculptures simply for making his above statement that he's apparently just making a cheap toy and not something that's worthy of being displayed in a case. Sorry, but that's a terrible attitude. I much prefer artists like JPop who want their artwork to be displayed (playfields, translites, etc.) and not just enjoyed as part of the game. Again, especially given the new 8-9k price tag.

#46 4 years ago

? This has more to do with the material used than anything else and these other quality toy makers are not making their sculptures out of porcelain. That is one pathetic excuse (although i realize it's not coming from Matt).
I would not utilize Matt again on making character sculptures simply for making his above statement that he's apparently just making a cheap toy and not something that's worthy of being displayed in a case. Sorry, but that's a terrible attitude. I much prefer artists like JPop who want their artwork to be displayed (playfields, translites, etc.) and not just enjoyed as part of the game. Again, especially given the new 8-9k price tag.

Over Your Head.jpg

#47 4 years ago

What an INCREDIBLE job!!! Looks 100% AWESOME!

#48 4 years ago

I collect SideShowCollectibles (Toys) as well, and this Smaug, and Pillars, look very good. This is the look I would want in a pinball machine. I am a stickler for details, and I have zero issues with it...works fine for me.

Edit: though I like that they addressed the gold pile a bit, I would have liked to have had a few plates, cups, gems and other items in that pile. Perhaps, Matt can provide that later?

#49 4 years ago

It's all starting to come together very nicely indeed!
Can't wait for production to begin and games to be shipped.
I was told that TH should land in Australia in June, all things going well.

#50 4 years ago

I never said it was a cheap toy? Wow dude you need to chill out. Sideshow collectibles are made to be on display in a display case not inside a machine with balls flying around it. The toys I made where for a pinball machine there by there are certain things that need to be done when sculpting it for this application. Not just the material it is made out of but the design.

I get it, you don't like the pieces I sculpted.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.99
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 21.00
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dayton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.50
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington, WV
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 11.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside