(Topic ID: 122034)

SmartDMD Kits - Everything you need to know is here.

By PinballMikeD

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zene10
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160102_114504_(resized).jpg
    side channel setup.png
    image.jpg
    Coffin.png
    Sparky Shot.png
    Blackened.png
    Lady Justice.png
    Grave Marker MB.png
    For Whom the Bell Tolls.png
    Extra Ball.png
    Battery.png
    Cables.png
    Game connection #2.png
    SDMD connections.png
    Game connection #1.png
    PMD SDMD Cable.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rensh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

a great idea!
    for me the most important points are
    colorize:
    -how can i colorize without the 8 dots
    -how do i know if a clipart could be colorized and how?
    -will there be a simulator for the rom to check your work without flashing it to the machine

To colorize without the 8 dots you need the sidecable as OGA mentions in his SmartDMD thread

1 week later
    #25 9 years ago

Is that a glossy or matt screen?

#27 9 years ago

LCD screen.

Glossy would make contrast better and colours more vivid but ofcourse drawback would be sensitivity for reflections and bright light. However, in gamerooms lights are mostly dim so reflections are less likely to occur I think. Have now a matt screen and wonder how it would look with a glossy screen. Dont know if you have done any comparison

2 weeks later
    #57 9 years ago
    Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Potc Is coming for free soon

Magificent. Have my acdc and met almost ready thnx to pinballmike and a friend is so enthusiastic that he is doing his met to and one of his favorit pins is potc. I think he will jump in the ait when he hears this

1 week later
    #62 8 years ago

#64 8 years ago

Dear pinballmike

The honour has to go to sironzelot. I just posted a link to his YouTube video. Much easier as colorizing

Hardware already arrived and got macro from sironzelot so this weekend there will be one potc extra on earth with a smartdmd

#71 8 years ago

So, hardware arrived and everything put together yesterday evening at my friends place.

Wanna know how POTC made by Sironzelot in DOTstyle?

Also mounted a SmartDMD in a Shrek. It is uncoloured and intention is to get it once coloured but amazing what can be done with just 1 fixed colorpalet (color 1 blackm color 15 white, rest shades of green).

#75 8 years ago

Thanks for the update. Awesome work from you and Ofa.

Now already with Inframe coloring you have 255 palets possible. Does this new feature give more advantage over Inframe besides the famous 8 dots up left (which you very rarely notice in gameplay)?

Should I start making a side channel cable for my MET?

#83 8 years ago

Looks great. Awesome, look forward to it

Will there be a new design sidechannel cable required or is this one still the correct one ?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more/page/6#post-2264581

Can you (or Oga) pls also clarify something. I understood once from Oga that if you color a pin with in-frame coloring and select afterwards sidechannel (because you dont want to have the rarely missing 8 pixels) you only have to rerun the macro with sidechannel enabled and thats it. However, I see emntioned by Oga the following

Quoted from oga83:

Once the cable is made, use Pinball Browser to colorize your game
    Don't forget to select "side-channel" in the SmartDmd tab (before assigning palettes to your frames) and to configure SmartDmd accordingly (select "side-channel" in the SmartDmd configurator).

This gives me the feeling that if you have done in-frame coloring and go to sidechannel you have to redo all your work??

#84 8 years ago

So, finished a home made sidecable. Not pritty but should do the job.

Look forward to testing it on MET !!

image.jpgimage.jpg
    1 week later
    #87 8 years ago

Work in progress on Shrek

Not finished but expected not to take very long anymore

#89 8 years ago

Thanks. Honour goes to my friend Toon (owner of a nicely colourted POTC )

Saw you are working on Mustang. Dont have a mustang but looks good to.

Looking at the collection SM, Batman, IM or Avatar could be on the list but coloring moviescenes is beyond our capabilities. I think cartoon like animations like Shrek or POTC are good candidates for colouring.

#91 8 years ago

Now flashed to the pinball, small example video

Struggling now with debugging. Looks like there is a fight sometimes between palets (the ridder at 1:44 is in pinballbrowser different looking and so there are more issues, majority is OK however)

My friend Toon who has the Shrek and does the majority of the work (I am just helping him) is going on holiday next week so to be cntd in approx 2 weeks

#92 8 years ago

Made a better movie of current status in gameplay

#94 8 years ago

Thanks for the info.

You really should know the pinball you are colorizing in order to do the work properly and efficient

What puzzles me if you look at he video you see colored boxers, than merlin at approx 1:20 and after Merlin it suddenly is brown. Merlin is not colored in brown palet and every frame of the boxers are assigned. Also keep last pallet is turned on. I expected the boxers to return to their original colors but that didn't happen

2 weeks later
    #96 8 years ago

Wanna see Sparky in green?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=21&v=kZJTDF7pIxM

being able to adjust color yourself is nice

6 months later
    #109 8 years ago

IF you mean coloring it per frame as with a SAM Stern the answer is no. YOu can however use 1 fixed colorpalet to be used for all frames and play with it to get a result as much to your liking as possible

1 week later
    #113 8 years ago
    Quoted from damageinc55:

It's alive!

20160102_114504_(resized).jpg

Good but this is black-white

Everything else in color now?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rensh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-everything-you-need-to-know?tu=rensh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.