New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 122034)

SmartDMD Kits - Everything you need to know is here.

By PinballMikeD

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zene10
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 68 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160102_114504_(resized).jpg
    side channel setup.png
    image.jpg
    Coffin.png
    Sparky Shot.png
    Blackened.png
    Lady Justice.png
    Grave Marker MB.png
    For Whom the Bell Tolls.png
    Extra Ball.png
    Battery.png
    Cables.png
    Game connection #2.png
    SDMD connections.png
    Game connection #1.png
    PMD SDMD Cable.png

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Any Stern SAM machine is an option with SmartDMD.
    Unfortunately, I can't control what other people do. Remember, Pinball Browser gives anyone the ability to colorize a game. What people choose to do with their work is up to them.

yeah, I know, sorry for the rant but I was so excited about getting colour for FGY, when I heard I had to contact that guy I was super disappointed. Once again, sorry, I know it has nothing to do with you or the SmartDMD team. I saw someone was colouring Xmen and TWD, hopefully he is a member of your team

#52 5 years ago

Potc Is coming for free soon

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I love people like you

#54 5 years ago

x-men was put on indefinite hold due to lack of usable memory to do the title justice. I used up half of the available free memory on magneto multi-ball alone

as a point of reference, x-men has the least available free memory of any of the stern SAM titles

I may finish up it, and then complete work on weapon x multi-ball and the extra ball animation, but that be about all that I can accomplish. if I do this, it will be made available for free as well

#55 5 years ago

Is there a solution for the "free memory" problem?

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

I hope the answer to this is yes. I really want Xmen coloured They coloured Avengers so I guess Xmen has more dots/code in it?

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Magificent. Have my acdc and met almost ready thnx to pinballmike and a friend is so enthusiastic that he is doing his met to and one of his favorit pins is potc. I think he will jump in the ait when he hears this

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

At this point the answer is no

However, it's being looked at

1 week later
    #60 5 years ago

Potc is Finish. WHO wants it, send me a PM with your Mail Adress ✌

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Potc is Finish. WHO wants it, send me a PM with your Mail Adress ✌

Can you post a video? I'm interested in getting a SmartDMD for my POTC.

#62 5 years ago

#63 5 years ago

Nice work Rensh.

#64 5 years ago

Dear pinballmike

The honour has to go to sironzelot. I just posted a link to his YouTube video. Much easier as colorizing

Hardware already arrived and got macro from sironzelot so this weekend there will be one potc extra on earth with a smartdmd

#65 5 years ago

Are the smartdmd kits available for purchase? Thanks!

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Dear pinballmike
    The honour has to go to sironzelot. I just posted a link to his YouTube video. Much easier as colorizing
    Hardware already arrived and got macro from sironzelot so this weekend there will be one potc extra on earth with a smartdmd

Pinballmike Knows my work, Funny that he thought you did the same

#67 5 years ago

Congratulations Sirlonzelot, you did great !

#68 5 years ago

You specify a 15.6 inch monitor so I assume that size works out to fill a 128x32 DMD. Can I put in a larger screen and if so do you know of the availability and what size would work? I currenty have a giant dots display which fits in the same space but uses all of the black wooden border for DMD, that is what I would like to do with a smartDMD.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Pinballmike Knows my work, Funny that he thought you did the same

Oops, sorry....

I know you guys by your real names

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from jints56:

Are the smartdmd kits available for purchase? Thanks!

Yes, DIY kits are available. I've been slammed at work and travelling for business, so I just haven't had a chance to updated the website.

To clarify "DIY" only means that you have to buy the screen and LCD driver board seperately. Free color files are available for: ACDC, MET, and Avengers. However, ACDC is the only title 100% complete. If you want to create your own colorization you can, just wanted to clarify the intended meaning of "DIY."

#71 5 years ago

So, hardware arrived and everything put together yesterday evening at my friends place.

Wanna know how POTC made by Sironzelot in DOTstyle?

Also mounted a SmartDMD in a Shrek. It is uncoloured and intention is to get it once coloured but amazing what can be done with just 1 fixed colorpalet (color 1 blackm color 15 white, rest shades of green).

#72 5 years ago

Looks cool

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Wanna know how POTC made by Sironzelot in DOTstyle?

It looked good upscaled, but I like it more in dots.

Quoted from Rensh:

Also mounted a SmartDMD in a Shrek. It is uncoloured and intention is to get it once coloured but amazing what can be done with just 1 fixed colorpalet (color 1 blackm color 15 white, rest shades of green).

Yes, I think there is a misnomer that it takes 100s of hours to do anything with SDMD. While that may be true for a full blown colorization effort like ACDC, POTC, Avengers, or MET, it isn't true for single palette applications. A single palette colorization is basically the equivalent of a CDMD "sigma" display and it can be done in a mater of minutes and doesn't require the game's ROM to be modified, just the RPi's text file.

Quick Update:

Oga has been working on a new feature for "Side Channeling" (this is part of why I've been holding off on the tutorial videos) for several weeks and it now looks like we're ready to start beta testing it with MET. This will enable colorization of any size frame used in the game ROM (with no restriction on animation locations). It also increases the number of color palettes for "Side Channeling" to 255 like "In Frame".

So, that means 16x255 = 4080 colors can be used for the entire game

Realistically you'd probably keep some colors fixed across palettes, like black, white, etc. So, lets say you keep 6 of the 16 colors in each palette fixed; you'd still have 2556 different colors. Very cool. I've already started tweaking MET to accommodate the new software

I'll post some pics of MET this evening. I have a test unit up and running at the Jax show this weekend.

#74 5 years ago

Sorry for the low res videos, but it gives you guys with MET SDMDs a look at the progress being made.

More palettes = more colors

These videos also show off how standard dots, 2x, and 16x upscaling can be assigned directly to palettes, so you don't have to pick one or the other for the entire DMD. Anyway, it's getting better all the time, just need more than 24 hours in a day

Ok, back to work.

#75 5 years ago

Thanks for the update. Awesome work from you and Ofa.

Now already with Inframe coloring you have 255 palets possible. Does this new feature give more advantage over Inframe besides the famous 8 dots up left (which you very rarely notice in gameplay)?

Should I start making a side channel cable for my MET?

#76 5 years ago

Just wish you would sell the code to those of us who already have all the stuff. You did say you were going to release for free, whatever happened to that? I would still happily pay, you (and the others who've coloured dots) should be rewarded and I don't understand why you're not offering this for the games you have done.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from mufcmufc:

Just wish you would sell the code to those of us who already have all the stuff. You did say you were going to release for free, whatever happened to that? I would still happily pay, you (and the others who've coloured dots) should be rewarded and I don't understand why you're not offering this for the games you have done.

We decided to make the ACDC, MET, and Avengers macros free to "ALL" SmartDMD supporters several months ago. So, if you already have a SDMD (PMD or homegrown) you just have to email me and I'll send you the color files for FREE- no strings attached. Sorry if this was unclear.

Contact me via Mike@PinballMikeD.com or PM me your email address.

#78 5 years ago

Looks cool, Great work. Will be happy If you send me this Update

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Thanks for the update. Awesome work from you and Ofa.
    Now already with Inframe coloring you have 255 palets possible. Does this new feature give more advantage over Inframe besides the famous 8 dots up left (which you very rarely notice in gameplay)?
    Should I start making a side channel cable for my MET?

Right now MET is colored using "In-Frame"

However, I've been reworking MET with the new version of "Side Channel" in mind. FYI - I'll go back and do this for ACDC as well - one game at a time though

Once we've thoroughly beta tested everything, PB will be updated to include the new version of "Side Channeling." Side channeling will then use a serial link between the game's MPU board and the RPi's GPIO pins. Here's a list of the advantages for the new version of Side Channel:

1) 255 color palettes instead of only 15

For example, I'm now using 52 palettes for MET - about 330 unique colors as some colors are used in multiple palettes. I'm estimating about 500 unique colors will be used in MET when it's all said and done.

2) No pixel loss as the palette information is stored externally from the frame. This should greatly reduce the about of free ROM memory needed for colorization as well

3) With "In Frame" you can only assign palettes to full size frames or sprite frames that are displayed at (0,0). With "Side Channel" you can assign a palette to any frame, including dynamic text characters, regardless of where they're displayed on the screen.

Full Size frame = an image that is 128x32 in size, meaning 128 columns of dots by 32 rows of dots.
    Sprite frame = any image that isn't 128x32 in size.

What does (0,0) mean? Do you remember your (X,Y) Cartesian Coordinates from Algebra? (0,0) refers to the origin, where both X and Y are equal to zero. (0,0) is the dot location in the upper left hand corner of the DMD screen. As you move from left to right (this is the X axis) you increase the value of X. So, the dot in the upper right hand corner of the DMD screen would be positioned at (128,0). Likewise, as you move from top to bottom (this is the Y axis) you increase the value of Y. So, the dot in the lower left hand corner of the DMD would be positioned at (0,32). Hence the dot in the lower right hand corner corresponds to location (128,32). Make since?

So, now we have the ability to assign palettes to any frame in the game's ROM.

The limitations are:

1) You can only use one palette at any give time. For example, when sprites are displayed on top of a 128x32 full sized background frame you'll only want to assign a palette to the background frame. You don't want to have more than one image with a palette displayed at any given time.

2) As before you can only have 16 colors per frame. However, I have some animations in MET that use over 30 different colors. This is done by using different palettes within a given animation (flip flopping between them).

Hope this helps.

#80 5 years ago

Any eta on when you think MET might be done. Also looking good so far

#81 5 years ago

I posted this in the MET thread, but figured I should put it here as well.

Here are some better quality pics to show the color variations and different dot configurations being used now that the palette count has been increased:

Sparky Shot.png
    Lady Justice.png
    For Whom the Bell Tolls.png
    Extra Ball.png
    Coffin.png
    Battery.png
    Grave Marker MB.png
    Blackened.png

#82 5 years ago

Very cool , Great work

#83 5 years ago

Looks great. Awesome, look forward to it

Will there be a new design sidechannel cable required or is this one still the correct one ?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more/page/6#post-2264581

Can you (or Oga) pls also clarify something. I understood once from Oga that if you color a pin with in-frame coloring and select afterwards sidechannel (because you dont want to have the rarely missing 8 pixels) you only have to rerun the macro with sidechannel enabled and thats it. However, I see emntioned by Oga the following

Quoted from oga83:

Once the cable is made, use Pinball Browser to colorize your game
    Don't forget to select "side-channel" in the SmartDmd tab (before assigning palettes to your frames) and to configure SmartDmd accordingly (select "side-channel" in the SmartDmd configurator).

This gives me the feeling that if you have done in-frame coloring and go to sidechannel you have to redo all your work??

#84 5 years ago

So, finished a home made sidecable. Not pritty but should do the job.

Look forward to testing it on MET !!

image.jpg
    #85 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Looks great. Awesome, look forward to it
    Will there be a new design sidechannel cable required or is this one still the correct one ?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more/page/6#post-2264581
    Can you (or Oga) pls also clarify something. I understood once from Oga that if you color a pin with in-frame coloring and select afterwards sidechannel (because you dont want to have the rarely missing 8 pixels) you only have to rerun the macro with sidechannel enabled and thats it. However, I see emntioned by Oga the following

This gives me the feeling that if you have done in-frame coloring and go to sidechannel you have to redo all your work??

The new version for "Side Channel" will use a cable that connects to the game's serial port on the MPU board, so yes the cable will be different. I'll post more info on this once everything has been worked out.

No, you don't have to rework the colorization. Oga is saying that you have to select "side channel" in two places (in the SDMD configuration popup and under the SDMD tab - see attached picture). I'll cover this in detail once we have it 100%.

side channel setup.png

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from anubis2night:

Any eta on when you think MET might be done. Also looking good so far

I own this machine and it's currently my favorite title, so I'm not sure it will ever be 100% complete. As long as PB evloves my colorization work for this title and ACDC will as well. The more tools in my tool box means the more I can do, hence the more I'll tweak and improve the artwork. First and foremost this is a hobby for me, so as long as I'm enjoying myself I'll keep hammering away. My work schedule is brutal right now, but playing with PB provides some good downtime for me - takes my mind off of work.

1 week later
    #87 5 years ago

Work in progress on Shrek

Not finished but expected not to take very long anymore

#88 5 years ago

Looks good !

#89 5 years ago

Thanks. Honour goes to my friend Toon (owner of a nicely colourted POTC )

Saw you are working on Mustang. Dont have a mustang but looks good to.

Looking at the collection SM, Batman, IM or Avatar could be on the list but coloring moviescenes is beyond our capabilities. I think cartoon like animations like Shrek or POTC are good candidates for colouring.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Work in progress on Shrek
    » YouTube video
    Not finished but expected not to take very long anymore

Nice.

#91 5 years ago

Now flashed to the pinball, small example video

Struggling now with debugging. Looks like there is a fight sometimes between palets (the ridder at 1:44 is in pinballbrowser different looking and so there are more issues, majority is OK however)

My friend Toon who has the Shrek and does the majority of the work (I am just helping him) is going on holiday next week so to be cntd in approx 2 weeks

#92 5 years ago

Made a better movie of current status in gameplay

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Now flashed to the pinball, small example video
    » YouTube video
    Struggling now with debugging. Looks like there is a fight sometimes between palets (the ridder at 1:44 is in pinballbrowser different looking and so there are more issues, majority is OK however)
    My friend Toon who has the Shrek and does the majority of the work (I am just helping him) is going on holiday next week so to be cntd in approx 2 weeks

Remember, only one palette can be used at any given time. To effectively colorize an animation you need to know which frames are merged together at run time.

For example, the following frames can all be displayed simultaneously:

Base Frame:
    MET Letter Base Frame.png

Sprite Frame:
    M Letter Animation.png

So, I only assign my palette to the "Base Frame". I don't assign palettes to the "Sprite Frames", I just need to make sure I can colorize the sprites the way I want using the palette assigned to the "Base Frame."

The first time a ramp shot is made, the "M Letter" animation is displayed on top of the "MET Letter Base Frame".

I hope this clarifies how palettes should be assigned. You must understand which frames are merged together during game play and then colorize them using the same palette.

#94 5 years ago

Thanks for the info.

You really should know the pinball you are colorizing in order to do the work properly and efficient

What puzzles me if you look at he video you see colored boxers, than merlin at approx 1:20 and after Merlin it suddenly is brown. Merlin is not colored in brown palet and every frame of the boxers are assigned. Also keep last pallet is turned on. I expected the boxers to return to their original colors but that didn't happen

2 weeks later
    #95 5 years ago

Now that the serial side channel feature is up and running, I'll start working on the tutorials.

#96 5 years ago

Wanna see Sparky in green?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=21&v=kZJTDF7pIxM

being able to adjust color yourself is nice

3 months later
    #97 5 years ago

Any chance I can get a copy of the Met file? I have everything up and running for my second game.

Everything works great!

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Any chance I can get a copy of the Met file? I have everything up and running for my second game.
    Everything works great!

Shoot me an email and it's yours

1 month later
    #99 5 years ago

Let me start by thanking Olivier (oga) and Mike for the smartdmd system! I've just build my first smartdmd for my acdc premium, looks great! What Mike did to acdc and Metallica is simply awesome!

My first question, Mike made a macro file for Metallica pro. I have a Metallica premium, is there someone who rewrote Mikes file into a premium / le file?

My second question, is there a macro file available for star trek premium / le? Have a stle with a smartdmd (build and colored by the first owner), but after the last update it's lost it's colors.

Sure I could do it myself after I got to learn how to colorize via PB and I will, but maybe some one allready has something to work with!

Thanks!

#100 5 years ago

Is this strictly for later Stern titles? Will it work for IJ, TOM, and TZ?

I assume the pre cut mounting board and cables that were being sold, was for Stern, right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 350.00
    Boards
    Pinball Basement
    $ 129.25
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 700.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 36.99
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside