(Topic ID: 122034)

SmartDMD Kits - Everything you need to know is here.

By PinballMikeD

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zene10
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160102_114504_(resized).jpg
    side channel setup.png
    image.jpg
    Coffin.png
    Sparky Shot.png
    Blackened.png
    Lady Justice.png
    Grave Marker MB.png
    For Whom the Bell Tolls.png
    Extra Ball.png
    Battery.png
    Cables.png
    Game connection #2.png
    SDMD connections.png
    Game connection #1.png
    PMD SDMD Cable.png
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

I've decided to create this thread for people that are interested in learning more about SmartDMD.

Here's what I'll cover in the upcoming weeks:

(1) What is SmartDMD?
    (2) How does SmartDMD work?
    (3) Where can I purchase a SmartDMD?
    (4) How can I build my own SmartDMD?
    (5) How do I colorize a game using SmartDMD?

In addition, I'll also provide numerous tutorials, discussing DMD Colorization Tip/Tricks (specifically for Stern SAM machines).

The intent of this thread is to simply provide people with an understanding of what SmartDMD really is and how it works, clearing up any "misinformation" that that has been posted elsewhere. I hope this thread stays positive and remains on track, figures crossed

#2 9 years ago

What is SmartDMD?

-
    -
    -

SmartDMD is a colorized dot matrix display system built using open source software (Pinball Browser) and non-proprietary electronics hardware. Anyone can build a SmartDMD and anyone can colorize a SmartDMD via Pinball Browser.

Here are some videos demonstrating SmartDMD's systems in action:

The hardware components consist of the following:

1) Raspberry Pi B+
    2) 15.6" laptop LCD screen
    3) LCD driver board
    4) SmartDMD interface board
    5) 8 GB micro SD card
    6) Cabling

#3 9 years ago

How do I get started?
    _
    _
    _

Before we get started it's important to note that I'm assuming you have some basic computer skills. You don't need to be a tech guru, but understanding basic computer terminology and how to move around on a Window PC is a prerequisite for SmartDMD.

With that said, lets get started.

(1) You'll need a windows 7 or 8 computer to run "Pinball Browser", the software used to colorize SmartDMDs. If you haven't read the Pinball Browser thread yet, please do so. Here's the link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

I know, it' only 34 pages long.........

Hopefully you got through the first post at least, so now you know where to go in order to download a copy of Pinball Browser.

Currently the latest version of Pinball Browser is version 4.40, so this is the version I'll be using for all the tutorials in this thread. Moving forward I'll simply refer to Pinball Browser as "PB." Hey this is pinball and we love acronyms right

(2) Download the latest version of PB from the link posted above and unzip the folder. Here's what you'll find inside the version 4.40 folder:

Screenshot (728).pngScreenshot (728).png

(3) Now create a new folder on your desktop and name it something like "Pinball Browser." The name isn't really important, this is simply the location where we're going to store any PB related files.

Screenshot (729).pngScreenshot (729).png

(4) Now copy all the files inside the "PinballBrowser440" folder you unzipped in Step #2 and paste them into the new "Pinball Browser" folder you just created on your desktop in Step #3.

(5) Now launch the Pinball-Browser application. The first time you try to run PB you may get the following message:

Screenshot (731).pngScreenshot (731).png

This message is generated because Windows doesn't recognize the program. Click where it says "More info" and you'll get the following prompt:

Screenshot (732).pngScreenshot (732).png

Click on the "Run Anyway" button to launch Pinball Browser. Here's what you should see:

Screenshot (733).pngScreenshot (733).png

The "Make a Donation" Screen is launched the first time you open PB. You aren't obligated to donate any money. However, the SmartDMD features within PB are only accessible to individuals with a valid software license.

Close the "Make a Donation" screen and maximize the PB program, making it full screen. In the lower right hand corner of the screen you'll see a button labeled "Enter License." Oh, and if you want to change the language setting, now would be the time to do it (PB is setup for English by default).

(6) Press the "Enter License" button and you should get the following:

Screenshot (734).pngScreenshot (734).png

If you've purchased a PMD SmartDMD kit then you'll need to email me your "Token ID" (this ID is linked to your computer's MAC address). Then I'll email you a "License Key", which you'll cut and paste into the entry field on the "License" screen. Then press OK to activate your copy of Pinball Browser.

If you're building your own SmartDMD kit then PM Oga83 for instructions on how to activate your software.

Ok, so at this point you should now have PB installed and licensed on your computer.

More later, time for Breaking Bad

#4 9 years ago

How do I build a SmartDMD?

-
    -
    -

For those looking to purchase a PMD kit, here's the link to our SmartDMD web store:

http://pinballmiked.com/?page_id=320

For folks looking to build their own kits keep reading

Ok, here's how I build my SDMD kits:

For starter, I designed a PCB mounting panel for the Raspberry Pi and LCD driver board. My mounting panel is fabricated using 1/4" black acrylic material. Obviously it's laser cut for precision, guaranteeing the various mounting hole locations are always in the right spots. The SmartDMD logo is engraved in the panel for a professional look, of course that isn't necessary

PCB Panel.pngPCB Panel.png

I'm sure with some motivation, a jigsaw and some lexan - the Do-it-yourselfer can come up with a workable panel similar to the one shown above.

In order to attach the hardware to the mounting panel you'll need the following items:

1) QTY 4 - 5/8" 6-32 Pan Head Philips machine screws
    2) QTY 4 - 1/4" nylon spacers for 6-32 machine screws
    3) QTY 4 - 6-32 nylon lock nuts
    4) QTY 3 - 1.5" 4-40 Allen Head machine screws
    5) QTY 3 - 1" nylon spacers for 4-40 machine screws
    6) QTY 3 - 4-40 nylon lock nuts
    7) A couple zip ties.

Mounting Hardware.pngMounting Hardware.png

Here are some pictures showing how to mount the Raspberry Pi B+ and SDMD interface board (note - the interface board is actually a daughter board that mounts to the first 16 GPIO pins on the RPi):

Back view:
    RPi 1.pngRPi 1.png
    Top view (Micro SD card access):
    RPi 2.pngRPi 2.png
    Front view (DMD ribbon cable connetion):
    RPi 3.pngRPi 3.png
    Bottom view (USB and Ethernet access):
    RPi 4.pngRPi 4.png
    Side view:
    RPi 5.pngRPi 5.png

SmartDMD uses the RPi's HDMI port to send the DMD animations to the LCD driver board:

HDMI Connetion.pngHDMI Connetion.png

Oh, that's what those holes were for
    HDMI Mounting Location.pngHDMI Mounting Location.png

PMD kits use a push button control board (this gives you the ability to adjust the various LCD screen parameters - contract, brightness, etc.) as shown below:

LCD Control Board.pngLCD Control Board.png

You can mount the push button control board with some 3M tape
    3M Double Sided Foam.png3M Double Sided Foam.png

PMD kits utilize a M.NT68676.2 LCD driver board in conjunction with a 15.6" LCD screen; this replaces the factory DMD. Here are links to reliable Ebay venders for both parts:

ebay.com link: itm
    LCD Screen.pngLCD Screen.png
    LCD Driver Board.pngLCD Driver Board.png

The LCD driver board is attached to the mounting panel as shown below:

LCD Driver Board Installed.pngLCD Driver Board Installed.png
    Oh, that's what those holes were for
    LCD Screen Cable Mounting Connection.pngLCD Screen Cable Mounting Connection.png

Ok, here's what we just built:

PMD SmartDMD Kit.pngPMD SmartDMD Kit.png

Looks pretty good to me

Ok, so now we need to get power to our system. I make my power cables using #18 gauge Belden 8760 wire. I use the game's 12v circuit to power the LCD screen and the game's 5v circuit to power the RPi. I use a z-connector and a couple 6 pin IDC connectors to connect the SDMD to J11 on the MPU/Sound board. Here are some pictures:

PMD SDMD Cable.pngPMD SDMD Cable.png

Game side connection:
    Game connection #1.pngGame connection #1.png
    Game connection #2.pngGame connection #2.png

SDMD connections:
    SDMD connections.pngSDMD connections.png

Anybody looking for a job making cables
    Cables.pngCables.png

I hope this information is helpful for folks looking to build their own kits. At a minimum at least you know how PMD kits are constructed.

#5 9 years ago

How do I colorize a DMD using Pinball Browser?

#6 9 years ago

Questions/Answers:

(1) This is all great, but how do I buy a SDMD kit if I don't want to build one?

Here's a link to the PMD web store:
    http://pinballmiked.com/?page_id=320

#7 9 years ago

Colorization Tip/Tricks:

#8 9 years ago

How to install a SmartDMD kit:

-
    -
    -

The instructions below are for PMD (Stern only) SmartDMD kits. If you are interested in purchase a kit please email me directly - [email protected]. If you want to build your own kit, hopefully this information will help you with your design.

1.png1.png
    2.png2.png
    3.png3.png
    4.png4.png
    5.png5.png
    6.png6.png
    7.png7.png
    8.png8.png
    9.png9.png
    10.png10.png
    11.png11.png
    12.png12.png
    13.png13.png
    14.png14.png
    15.png15.png
    16.png16.png
    17.png17.png
    18.png18.png
    19.png19.png
    20.png20.png
    21.png21.png
    22.png22.png
    23.png23.png
    24.png24.png
    25.png25.png
    26.png26.png

#9 9 years ago

I want to know it all! Please tell.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I've decided to create this thread for people that are interested in learning more about SmartDMD.
    (1) What is SmartDMD?
    In addition, I'll also provide numerous tutorials, discussing DMD Colorization Tip/Tricks (specifically for Stern SAM machines). The intent of this thread is to simply provide people with an understanding of what SmartDMD is and how it works. I hope this thread stays positive and remains on track, figures crossed

(1) What is SmartDMD?
    In addition, I'll also provide numerous tutorials, discussing DMD Colorization Tip/Tricks (specifically for Stern SAM machines). The intent of this thread is to simply provide people with an understanding of what SmartDMD is and how it works. I hope this thread stays positive and remains on track, figures crossed

Am I missing something here??

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I thought he was asking you. What is the answer underlord? Is it a riddle?

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I thought he was asking you. What is the answer underlord? Is it a riddle?

Wrapped in a bacon flavored enigma... apparently...

#13 9 years ago

a great idea!

for me the most important points are

colorize:
    -how can i colorize without the 8 dots
    -how do i know if a clipart could be colorized and how?

-will there be a simulator for the rom to check your work without flashing it to the machine

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

a great idea!
    for me the most important points are
    colorize:
    -will there be a simulator for the rom to check your work without flashing it to the machine

To colorize without the 8 dots you need the sidecable as OGA mentions in his SmartDMD thread

#15 9 years ago

ok with the cable

how do i know if a clipart could be colorized and how?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

Use the Side-Channel palette mode
    Anyway, a lot of wrong things have been said about this...
    When using the In-Frame palette mode, SmartDmd stores the palette information in the upper-left corner of the frame. This can lead to 8-missing pixels in the frame.
    However, SmartDmd has an embedded algorithm to hide this effect and, imo, it can barely be seen on most of the frames.
    When using the Side-Channel mode, the color information is carried by a separate signal (very similar to luminance/chrominance video signal) and there is no pixel loss.
    More info here.
    The Side-Channel cable is very easy to build : see here

Quoted from kapsreiter:

All the cliparts can be colorized with Pinball Browser, without any exception.
    However, some of the cliparts can only use the default (or last used) palette; Pinball Browser will warn you each time it's not possible to assign a palette to this kind of clipart.

Quoted from kapsreiter:

Nothing will replace the pinball machine !
    However, Pinball Browser will display the colors/palettes you have selected :
    1- Each time a specific palette is assigned to a frame, the rendering will be accurate.
    2- When no palette is assigned to a frame, Pinball Browser will use the default one. Depending on what 'palette behaviour' option you have selected for SmartDmd (use default palette or last used palette), this can be inaccurate. That's why it is strongly recommended to assign a palette to every single frame and to use the Side-Channel mode.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

This is a tutorial thread. Obviously, I plan on answering the questions I posted. The first few posts are simply place holders until I have time to provide the information. I've noticed that many people don't read threads once they grow beyond a few pages, so I thought I'd provide answers to frequently asked questions at the beginning of this thread, not on page 27

#18 9 years ago

Perfectly understandable mike, it's common practice on many forums, keep all the informative posts at the beginning and then refer ever one to them over time.

#19 9 years ago

I've been compiling information based on my experience with the software and have sent mike my document so that he can update the appropriate posts that he's previously created.

#20 9 years ago

A question. With Smart DMD you can only color the Stern games right? Other games are percentage based, yes? How can we open the door to WPC (S/95)

#21 9 years ago

Hardware installation info posted above.

// Error: Image 383527 not found // // Error: Image 383528 not found // // Error: Image 383529 not found // // Error: Image 383530 not found // // Error: Image 383531 not found // // Error: Image 383532 not found // // Error: Image 383533 not found // // Error: Image 383534 not found // // Error: Image 383535 not found //
    #22 9 years ago

Are these being sold yet? If so are there any other games that are fully coloured right now other then Avengers (don't know why that was coloured?) and AC/DC?

#23 9 years ago

Are these being sold yet? If so are there any other games that are fully coloured right now other then Avengers (don't know why that was coloured?) and AC/DC?

Currently ACDC and FGY are the only games that have been completely colorized using SDMD. Avengers and MET are both in process. More games are actively being worked on, but I can't tell you when they will be completed. Most of the games are being colorized by hobbyist, so please keep that in mind. However, we will colorize every SAM machine, it's just a matter of time.

Any game I personally colorize will be open source.

I've decided to sell kits two different ways:

(1) Plug and Play ($299) - This includes everything shown in the "Installation" post above.

OR

(2) DIY ($199) - This includes everything minus the LCD screen and driver board.

Ultimately, both options will cost you around $300 to build a complete kit. We decided to offer option 2 for several reasons: (1) Many guys actually requested this option, (2) This gives you the ability to pick your own LCD screen, and (3) I don't always have the LCD and driver boards in stock.

So, to answer your question - Yes, kits are currently available and in stock. However, I'm only selling DIY kits for $199 at this time. This way you get all the custom parts (PCB mounting panel, power cable, and interface board) along with a Raspberry Pi and preloaded/licensed 8GB SD card. Both price points included a licensed version of Pinball Browser.

Screens can be purchased here ($60 with free shipping):

LCD Screen.pngLCD Screen.png

LCD driver boards can be purchased here ($40 with free shipping):

LCD Driver Board.pngLCD Driver Board.png

#24 9 years ago

Info for building your own kit has been added above.

#25 9 years ago

Is that a glossy or matt screen?

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Is that a glossy or matt screen?

Are you asking about the LCD screen or the PCB mounting panel?

#27 9 years ago

LCD screen.

Glossy would make contrast better and colours more vivid but ofcourse drawback would be sensitivity for reflections and bright light. However, in gamerooms lights are mostly dim so reflections are less likely to occur I think. Have now a matt screen and wonder how it would look with a glossy screen. Dont know if you have done any comparison

#28 9 years ago

You forgot to include details on how to buy your kits...

#29 9 years ago

Awesome thread!

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I asked and you can't buy the full kit right now. And one thing I really dislike about SmartDMD's business model is that if a game you want colorization for has been colored by someone other then the SmartDMD team, you will have to contact the person that colored it and probably pay more money to them for the file. That sucks. I'm sure some pinsiders will be cool and just share the file but there will be others that will definently want to be paid and probably big time for their file. I know the game I want the color file for, the person that created it publically posted that he would NOT share it with anyone. Makes me sway more towards ColorDMD instead.

#31 9 years ago

Oops,double,post

#32 9 years ago

I asked and you can't buy the full kit right now. And one thing I really dislike about SmartDMD's business model is that if a game you want colorization for has been colored by someone other then the SmartDMD team, you will have to contact the person that colored it and probably pay more money to them for the file. That sucks. I'm sure some pinsiders will be cool and just share the file but there will be others that will definently want to be paid and probably big time for their file. I know the game I want the color file for, the person that created it publically posted that he would NOT share it with anyone. Makes me sway more towards ColorDMD instead.

Yea but you can ways color your own and share it. If someone is charging too much for a file then someone else will do it and undercut them. Figure color DMD charges you $100 per rom based on the fact that the smart DMD is $100 cheaper.

Is there a list of free files being worked on right now?

#33 9 years ago

Why isn't this information available on your website? What is the point of posting it here?

#34 9 years ago

Why do you expect someone to spend 100 hours of their time to give you things? Some suggested reading try The Little Red Hen.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Why do you expect someone to spend 100 hours of their time to give you things? Some suggested reading try The Little Red Hen.

The same reason people help other people on this website with technical problems for free.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Oops, I'll get that added to the question/answer section.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Det_Deckard:

The same reason people help other people on this website with technical problems for free.

No one is complaining that people don't dispense such information though. Besides that information doesn't take too long to write down. Demanding someone spend 100 hours and then give away their hard work is entitled. It is nice when they do, but no need to be rude if they want to be paid for their work.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Is there a list of free files being worked on right now?

The following games are open source:

ACDC
    MET
    Avengers

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

No one is complaining that people don't dispense such information though. Besides that information doesn't take too long to write down. Demanding someone spend 100 hours and then give away their hard work is entitled. It is nice when they do, but no need to be rude if they want to be paid for their work.

this x1000

if someone wants to do it and give it away, awesome, but they don't "owe" you anything

1 week later
    #40 9 years ago

So will this work with the new met pro led model? Or will we need additional mounting hardware

#41 9 years ago

Any pictures or video of FGY?

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from anubis2night:

So will this work with the new met pro led model? Or will we need additional mounting hardware

The install documented above is only for traditional style speaker panels. I have a new MET Pro as well, so designing mounting hardware for this is certainly on my list.

Quoted from tvbenk:

Any pictures or video of FGY?

Search PinSide for "SmartDMD and Family Guy", it's on here somewhere.

#43 9 years ago

All in on Met Pro LED when mounting hardware is finalized....

#44 9 years ago

The install documented above is only for traditional style speaker panels. I have a new MET Pro as well, so designing mounting hardware for this is certainly on my list.

Search PinSide for "SmartDMD and Family Guy", it's on here somewhere.

I tried that before my post and couldn't find anything other than it being mentioned here.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from tvbenk:

I tried that before my post and couldn't find anything other than it being mentioned here.

Here's the thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-yer-friday-morning-pinball-porn-herepowered-by-smartdmd

#46 9 years ago

Awesome! Thank you.

#47 9 years ago

You forgot to mention that this guy refuses to share his work which is what I was ranting about in the first place. FGY is one of the roms I wanted but when I was told to contact this Monster_Bash person I knew it would be a waste of time as he publically refused to share the colour pallet and updated rom. So please stop saying FGY is an option for SmartDMD right now as the creator has publically refused to share it. I hope you guys colour it yourselves in the future and actually offer it.

Here is the original thread:

http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16573

Here is a quote from him where he states this.

Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Asking $5150 USD located in Grand Island NY (A mile South of Niagara Falls)

I bought it brand new from StarBurst in 2007ish (maybe 2008?)...it's Home Use Only

I spent about 100 hours 'colorizing' the animation using Pinball Browser and Smart DMD. It's truly one of a kinda as I have not shared (nor do I plan to) the ROM and palette information.

It's in the condition you would expect a HUO machine with about 500-600 plays. I'll upload more pictures to the link tomorrow when I get to work. My internet service has been down at home for a couple of days and I'm at the end of my data allowance. (EDIT: more pics added)

The cab and PF are in exception shape
    Day one Cliffy
    Insert LEDs
    Stewie pinball decals
    Day one on plastic protector
    Tournament topper (non-LED) and button

The machine WILL NOT come with the translite (available on ebay for $80 shipped) as it is signed to me from a member of the Family Guy Staff

I'm only going to offer the machine for sale for approx one week and only here on MAACA. If I don't sell it in time to pick up my new pin I plan on keeping it. I'll be making the trip for the new machine the week of 8.25

Pics here http://s196.photobucket.com/user/m0nsterbash/library/Family%20Guy

Video here:

The video does not to the colors justice...it's extremely washed out and the attempts to auto focus are pretty annoying. But you should get the idea of what the custom LCD looks like.

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/m0nsterbash/media/Family%20Guy/20140818_190506_zpsvsjpugc2.jpg.html

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/m0nsterbash/Family%20Guy/20140818_190506_zpsvsjpugc2.jpg

Here is the most important part of the quote:

"I spent about 100 hours 'colorizing' the animation using Pinball Browser and Smart DMD. It's truly one of a kinda as I have not shared (nor do I plan to) the ROM and palette information"

#48 9 years ago

This is a tutorial thread. Obviously, I plan on answering the questions I posted. The first few posts are simply place holders until I have time to provide the information. I've noticed that many people don't read threads once they grow beyond a few pages, so I thought I'd provide answers to frequently asked questions at the beginning of this thread, not on page 27

Awww Mike, now my original post makes no sense now.

Not like most of my posts make sense anyways.

Great tutorial!

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Great tutorial!

It's a work in progress

#50 9 years ago

So please stop saying FGY is an option for SmartDMD right now as the creator has publically refused to share it. I hope you guys color it yourselves in the future and actually offer it.

Any Stern SAM machine is an option with SmartDMD.

Unfortunately, I can't control what other people do. Remember, Pinball Browser gives anyone the ability to colorize a game. What people choose to do with their work is up to them.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-everything-you-need-to-know and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.