(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 10 years ago

You're not going to make me switch from DMD Extender are you!? This project is exciting. I say go for it! I'd be willing to test it out on a DE Jurassic Park.

By the way, you should check out the DMD Extender project by Dr Pinball. He's developed a daughter-board that allows the DMD signal cable to pass-through a Raspberry Pi. I wonder if your software could utilize his hardware.

#38 10 years ago

For anyone asking about using this in conjunction with ColorDMD, in general I don't see how that would be desirable... It seems to me like you could just not have a ColorDMD and replace the DMD with the LCD that gets its image from the Raspberry Pi, similar to how DMD Extender does it.

However, if you had a game with a ColorDMD, I'd bet that while SmartDMD would not be able to affect the colors displayed on a ColorDMD, it could probably still take the same signal from the game that the ColorDMD takes, and put it on an external monitor and have the same functions on the external monitor that it would have if the original DMD was present. You're just not going to get to a point where the external monitor would be showing the ColorDMD colorization, since it would be getting colorized through a different process and have to have its own colorization.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

that is a 15.6 inch wide screen what is the ratio of the original dmd?

That's the only option. Even ColorDMD uses a screen that is much taller than the original DMD. There aren't LCDs in the exact size.

4 months later
#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I don't suppose you want to work on P-ROC DMD timing

I'm curious why this would be desirable. Can't you just drive your display directly from the computer? Aren't you the Mocean from the pinbalcontrollers forum working on a T2 where you're doing just that?

1 month later
#125 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Ok, here is a question.
Could I replace the translate with a larger LCD and place in a new background image like you had displayed on the remote monitor. And still have the DMD functionality under the background. I could just then remove the old DMD and fill the space with something else.

I guess you could do something like that. Supposing you found an LCD that was the right size and shape for what you want, I would think the DMD image would end up being as wide as the LCD, so if you have a huge LCD, then the DMD will be huge. If I'm recalling correctly, there aren't options for sizing the DMD image independently of the background image.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Actually, you can do this by adjusting the DMD dot size : only the DMD area will be resized.
The whole image can be adjusted with the overscan parameters.

Well, you would know!

I'd be curious to see a setup like that.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

You know what I love about the ColorDMD? I do not need to learn training and read over and over on how to use the product that looks pretty amazing. Plus, I do not need to e-mail or PM anyone over and over to figure it out. Nice and easy and back to playing pinball.

So get out of this thread... Why even bother posting in it?

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

The problem is ColorDMD don't exist for Stern unless you just want s single color. The ColorDMD guys got some great stuff...but they don't have this
WhiteStar support is just around the corner too...hello Simpsons and LOTR!
» YouTube video

Is full on colorization with SmartDMD coming for Whitestar? I could see the 4 color palettes like with DE working, but full on colorization? It would be awesome, but can it work similar to how the SAM stuff is being handled?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.