(Topic ID: 72365)

SmartDmd : DMD interface with colors, upscaling, network and more !

By oga83

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 613 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Cadrion
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
hammer-falling.gif
tombstone-crumbling.gif
tombstone-exploding.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
ScottPin_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
MET_logo.jpg
eotl-(jump).gif
eotl-(driving).gif
eotl-(intro).gif
eotl-intro.gif
end-of-the-line-sample.gif
end_of_the_line_(browser)_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mocean.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 10 years ago

I'm interested in a Bally/williams version. Do I need to buy an extender or will DIY instructions be provided for that as well?

Oh, and this is incredibly awesome!

#73 10 years ago

Sweet. I have all this stuff lying around (except the pass throughs, but I'd be replacing my DMD with this, so I may not need it), so I'll build the cable up ASAP. Of course only having Williams machines I guess there's not a huge rush, but I'd love to drop this into my Roadshow.

I don't suppose you want to work on P-ROC DMD timing

#75 10 years ago

Yeah the same, and I'm coding the Buffy (SoF retheme) pin which is also full VGA color /but/ I have P-ROCs in a bunch of machines and not all are getting the development time they deserve and they wind up frequently running original roms on pinmame. I was just curious to try and I admit it seems pointless, though weirdly recently at least two folks are using the official ColorDMD in their P-ROC'ed machines.

Okay... You talked me out of that one

#80 10 years ago

On the DMD to Pi cable:

Do you connect all pins from the DMD board to the Pi?

Does pin 1 on the Pi get connected to pin 1 on the DMD board?

I understand that in the long run soldering the resisters is better, but why bother with headers? Why not just jam the resisters into the female receptacles?

Thank you!

#82 10 years ago

Thank you! Just what I needed. I didn't see it in the OP. I'll build a simple breadboard with headers on either side. I'm very excited for Williams support!

Also, I've changed my mind and having this work on the P-ROC really would be nice. When running stock roms on pinmame, there's DMD output. That means I could change inputs on the LCD panel and use colorized output for pinmame, different than the native color from the desktop of the controller PC when running p-roc code.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Here's the Black Rose pics

Wow! I can't wait until this is released; it looks awesome! My RS would love some color dots.

#88 10 years ago

How did I miss that Bally support was already in the code base!???!

On it now!

#91 10 years ago

Seems colorizing individual frames for Williams/Bally isn't supported (yet) by Pinball Browser... bummer. Any chance that I'm wrong? Fixed palette only, right?

Bally, Williams, Data East and Stern.
BTW that is the actual Black Rose game outputting to the monitor.

#98 10 years ago

That's awesome!
I'm waiting for screens and controllers to come in...the controllers are coming in from China so who's knows when they'll get here.
I'm tempted to gut a 15.6 monitor and just use that

Most 15.6" monitors contain garbage panels with respect to viewing angles and contrast. I have one of those generic 15.6" in my T2 (p-roc) and it's pretty awful. I've also got a B156HW01 V.4 in another proc project and the difference is night and day. Those controllers take forever to arrive but it's worth the wait

#100 10 years ago

The LP is supposed to be just as nice with respect to contrast. Supposedly the B has a slightly wider color gamut but I doubt you'd ever notice in this application.

I'm using DVI not HDMI, but it's a PC/P-ROC project, not Pi controlled. The T2 is VGA to garbage 15.4" monitor, making it look even worse. The biggest problem on that monitor is it's totally terrible black levels. Black looks like gray at best.

#106 10 years ago

Ugh..I hate that.
The ColorDMD stuff has terrible blacks. I'm not even sure you can consider it 'black' the background looks so washed out

I don't know anything about that. Every ColorDMD I've seen looks great, and I know that they use both of these panels (LP156 and B156). Maybe you saw a bad or early model? Anyway, I'd be all over a ColorDMD if they allowed me to color my frames myself or if it were cheaper. That said, I don't think they're making much profit between hardware, labor (colorizing) cost, and licensing.

I'm just thankful that SmartDMD provides an alternative.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 149.00
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mocean.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more?tu=mocean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.